School of Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

School of Rock Reviews

July 11, 2017
Moderately funny movie with a feel good story. Makes any loser feel like they can ultimately make a difference and turn their life around by following their hobby
½ July 7, 2017
Jack Black is hysterical.
½ June 24, 2017
I remember (through multiple views of this film) that Jack Black can highly annoying and cheesy in the film. However watching this after a long time I found that he didn't grate on me as much as I thought. I enjoyed the musical numbers and classroom scenes but did think that the premise was of it's time as the second he got found out now he would have been arrested promptly!
May 16, 2017
Film that takes kid films to a whole nother level.
May 3, 2017
Jack black is a funny person to play in this movie
April 16, 2017
Very good for inspire and laugh
April 10, 2017
Awesome! Jack Black has forever cemented himself as a comedic legend. (First viewing - December 2003 in theaters)
March 20, 2017
I loved this film growing up!
March 20, 2017
It's a good enough comedy, but despite Jack Black's trademark OTT style, I wasn't completely convinced his character had truly learned anything by the end of the film. Still, it's enjoyable.
½ March 3, 2017
The 2003 comedy film School of Rock is one of those movies that gets funnier as you grow older. Not because the movie has somehow changed, but because you've changed over the years. Richard Linklater's clever comedy stars Jack Black as Dewey Finn, a jobless rock musician who fakes his way into a substitute teaching job where he influences a young group of aspiring musicians by introducing them to Rock N Roll all while attempting to dodge their parents and the strait laced Principle Rosalie Mullins (Joan Cusak). I'm not sure Jack Black was even acting in his role because his performance feels like a reflection of his public persona.
After being fired by his own band, Dewey Finn dishonestly intercepts a temporary job meant for his roommate, Ned Schneebly (Mike White) as the substitute teacher in a high society private school where he ends up teaching his students the Art, Math, and Science of Rock N Roll by starting a class rock band. With the local battle of the bands on the horizon -- one of the main contestants being Dewey's former band -- the stakes are set high for these bright minded students. With his pride at stake and in the hands of these talented 10 year olds Dewey begins preparing his students to compete in the Battle of the Bands.
One example of the cleverness of this movie is Dewey's attempt to receive permission from Principle Mullins for a class "Field Trip" which is actually the Battle of the Bands. After learning of the usually stern Principle Mullins' wild side, Dewey brings her to a bar to see if he can get her to loosen up after a few drinks and agree to have his students released for the trip. Hilariously, his plot ends up working but not without a healthy dose of twists and dilemmas when he is later exposed as a fraud. All of the gut wrenching but clever turns pay off in the end when each student gets an opportunity to lift their washed out substitute teacher by shredding in the Battle of the Bands in front of their formerly unsupportive parents and principle.
Many critics have already said that this movie is perfect for any age and regardless of a light peppering of mature humor. Dewey's quick wit does a great job of cushioning the blow turning very mature subjects into elementary terms although not very accurately at times. Any kid could get just as much enjoyment out of School of Rock as I have. Linklater does a great job of helping us relate to each set of characters on the screen. Each of us has a little Dewey Finn rebellion in us, maybe we've grown a little too stiff and responsible like Principle Mullins, or we feel like these innocent kids, still moldable and hopeful for the future. I feel most of the enjoyment from School of Rock comes from identifying yourself in each of these characters. That quality is something that has the potential to last for a lifetime.
February 23, 2017
An original idea executed with wit, charm, and humor. Classic.
February 23, 2017
I absolutely love this movie. Jack Black was born for this role
February 20, 2017
Is there anything Jack Black can't do, first he is a substitute teacher who is not certified or knows nothing about teaching but music. He is everywhere first going after King Kong and now this. One of the best comedy ever with a cast that have Jack Black and Sarah Silverman a comedy cast that is unlikely to occurred only happened once.
½ February 18, 2017
As someone who loves music and film, this one was a very cute watch. I loved the messages of positivity and how the art of music can make people's lives so much better. Jack Black is a hit or miss actor in my eyes, but in this film, I think he was the only person who could have done his character justice.
½ February 14, 2017
Quite simply one of the most seemlessly funny and touching American comedies of the last several years. There's no doubt about it, this is one of Linklater's most endlessly watchable movies.
½ January 28, 2017
Q: How do you know when a movie is a bona-fide hit?
A: When it is turned into a Broadway Musical, has a reality-TV show obviously based on it starring KISS frontman Gene Simmons (Rock School), and is planned to turn into a TV series.

All of which has happened to this movie.

Starring Jack Black - who, I'd like to imagine, the Director just let rip as he's clearly having a blast - this is in reality a fish-out-of-water story, with his character of Dewey Finn the lead guitarist of a bar band, kicked out of said band, and stealing his flat-mates identity as a substitute teacher and then hatching a plan to get his class to become 'his' band.

Of course, by the end of it, it becomes the kid's band, all of whom have now learnt self-respect, while Finn has learnt it's all not just about him.

Normally I don't find Jack Black comedies all that funny; this is a rare exception.
January 15, 2017
really funny and bundle of energy.
½ January 10, 2017
Jack Black's spazzy acting makes this film an absolute laugh fest.
January 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 31, 2016
This can be dry for single adults