School of Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

School of Rock Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
Although the plot might sound a little sappy and sentimental, the performances, especially those of Jack Black and the children, ensure that it never falls into that trap. But, don't make the mistake of thinking that lack of saccharine sentimentality means lacsk of heart; Black brims with a kind of electricity and joy, which, even the most world-weary and cynical amongst us would find it hard not to get swept along with. As this type of movie goes, School of Rock is just about the best there is, with the exception, maybe, of Sister Act. And, for a music-based film to be mentioned in the same breath as Sister Act is very high praise indeed.
½ December 2, 2016
As for PG-13 comedies with fairly predictable plots, this has got to be the best one out there. How convenient that I saw it in school because a teacher didn't feel like teaching acedemics too.
November 11, 2016
Jack Blacks best movie of all time
½ October 29, 2016
While certainly a deviation for Linklater, it's extremely quick-witted and painless.
October 22, 2016
With Jack Black's standout performance hilarious scenes and good plot School of Rock is a really fun and amazingly funny film with lots of charm but some unneeded scenes.
September 8, 2016
This is one of my favourite movies, and I always watch it when I'm sad. It shows that sometimes not winning is okay, and the broadway show of it right now is really good too.
August 16, 2016
One of my Jack Black favorites. It is a lot of fun and a unique movie. I enjoyed the music in it and the story is great. It is funny and unique. If you're a fan of Jack Black, it isn't one to miss. An excellent movie that is great for a wide variety of audiences.
August 7, 2016
I love this movie. Jack Black is great as a kid who never grew up.
June 23, 2016
This movie keeps you entertained as you witness, the start to The School Of Rock! Also, this film felt very similar to the movie 'Mohabbatein'.
June 20, 2016
Entertaining and a strong script to support it.
June 12, 2016
I get goose bumps every time I watch the performance and I have watched it a billion times it never fails to happen. Wonderful movie.
June 8, 2016
Alright but a bit boring
May 23, 2016
A formidable movie with a tightly written script and Linklater doing a great job as director, pushed over the edge by Jable's adorable performance and surprisingly great acting from the children. Something important to this movie is the message of rock and roll, how it unites people and brings happiness to their lives. This movie is not just a ninety minute barrage of references to popular metal bands so stoners at home can look fondly at their Judas Priest posters and think 'Hey I also know of that band'. It actually treats it subject matter with sincerity, and fishes a charming story out of it.
May 15, 2016
School of Rock is a funny, charming film that benefits from Jack Blacks energy which I think just makes the script sound that much better and lifts the children's performances as well. Sometimes the characters feel unrealistic like cartoon characters though because of the wacky decisions they make. No serious problems though in this harmless comedy.
May 14, 2016
Awesome movie, and that's an objective fact. I guess some people hate it because it's anti-their precious establishment.
½ May 13, 2016
Funny movie, interesting plot line.
April 26, 2016
One of the most remarkable musical, comedy movies I've ever seen in my life. I hope that one day I can see a movie could do better than this cheerful one.
April 4, 2016
Boasting an incredible cast and a killer soundtrack, this lighthearted family comedy holds incredibly strong messages underneath the brilliantly funny dialogue and surprisingly good acting from a cast of mostly kids. Jack Black shines in one of his best movies yet, as Dewey Finn, a failed heavy metal guitarist who secretly takes a job from his substitute teacher roommate at an elite private elementary school, unable to think of what to teach, he discovers the rock stars within the kids and signs them up for the battle of the bands. This movie is one of Linklater's best, and is not one you can afford to miss.
April 3, 2016
Best From Jack Black!
March 31, 2016
The magic in this masterful comedy is Richard Linklater's direction. This is a Hollywood premise made with a Hollywood cast in a purely indie spirit. "School of Rock" is Linklater at his most kinetic, and Jack Black in an insanely lived-in role the magic of which will likely never be seen again. This is one of my favorite comedies, and it's unbelievably watchable!