Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Reviews

½ July 24, 2017
Annoying characters, nothing made sense, Scott was an idiot and Romana was a dull creature with no personality, which made me wonder why Scott was into her in the first place. One of those rare films that you hate but everyone loves. Guess it just wasnt my thing.
July 24, 2017
Another great edgar Wright comedy but has way more to offer than it's outstanding comedy and is filled with believable romance, great action and awesome antagonist who you just want to see get hit by Scott. This is a must watch and in my opinion edgar Wrights best film yet
July 21, 2017
Pretty good movie, some parts from the books were left out completely though.
½ July 19, 2017
Amazing adaptation that (mostly) does the comics justice. There are some characters that are left out from the comics and the characters that are in the movie lack some character development that would make the movie even better. I would have loved to see the scenes from the comic where Kim is kidnapped by the twins and Scott tries to save her but is hungover from the night before, and only wins the fight because Kim tells Scott that Ramona texted her wishing Scott good luck, and the scene where Scott visits Kim and talks with her and ends up fighting Nega-Scott. The entire plot point of Ramona disappearing to her dad's house wasn't used when it could have fit perfectly into the film, but was cut down for some reason. That doesn't mean it wasn't an amazing film, it had some stunning visuals and hilarious jokes, so if you just want a good film, watch the movie, but if you want the true 'Scott Pilgrim' experience, read the comics. You can get the full series in color for ~25$ online in the US and if you seriously don't want to spend the money, you can Google it and find the full series online. It is a great read, and goes into different events that aren't in the film. The film is still absolutely amazing and makes me question why it didn't do as well as it should have in the box office.
½ July 19, 2017
A film that is full of energy, fun, and wit. If I tried to explain this movie to you, you'd probably look at me with a confused look. That's how fresh this movie is. Edgar Wright never ceases to amaze me with the abundance of pure exhilaration that are in his films. This is probably the only movie that has a video-game-esque style that succeeds. Michael Cera is awkwardly likable, as he always is and he does a fine job in the title role. If you're looking for a realistic movie, don't bother with this one. Take a ride with Scott Pilgrim and escape into his exuberantly energetic fantasy world that almost constantly entertains.
July 15, 2017
Edgar Wright is a meticulous artist that makes strong stylistic choices, particularly in the way that the elements on screen seem to be working directly in tandem with the scene transitions. It's pure creative joy, and it's a wonder to watch.
½ July 5, 2017
One of the truest comic to film adaptions in history. The visuals and effects stand out, but it's the wit that kept me coming back. The premise is different from almost anything else out there. Cera is at his very best here, with the cast of exes making for some fun surprises. A criminally overlooked flick.
July 2, 2017
Love Michael Cera. Brilliant movie. Soundtrack was great. Beck wrote and performed some of the soundtrack.
July 2, 2017
When I saw it I instantly understood why the internet loves it. It's start is a bit shaky but it definitely gets better. So sad this movie bombed at the box office. It is amazing. Even with the whole style over substance approach it goes for. It's simply awesome. The humor, characters, visuals. Everything is great in it.
June 29, 2017
Too many minutes!!! >:O
June 29, 2017
Perpetually exciting and impeccably assembled, "Scott Pilgrim Vs The World" is one of the most faithful comic book to movie adaptations out there, and it also stands alone as an excellent action/romantic comedy.

It's strange how consistently well-paced it manages to remain throughout, while also being THE fastest movie around. Edgar Wright's signature editing style is heavily prominent here, blending shots into scenes into chapters into acts into one single fluidly flowing product. Yet it still takes its time to develop relationships and guide us through the more personal moments of these characters' lives. This is the poster child of intricately editing films.

Speaking of the characters, everyone is perfectly cast. There's not a single actor out of place as their comic counterpart. Michael Cera does seem a bit more gawky as Scott Pilgrim than I read the character in the books, but didn't see that as an issue. If anything it made it more interesting to watch the character through all his stutters and awkward glances. And wholy moly, I have to mention how funny Jason Schwartzman is as Gideon. The character is a total jerk, but I loved it whenever he was on screen. There's something so innocent in his immoral behavior. Phenomenal job.

The humor in this film feels quite a lot more American than the humor in the Cornetto trilogy, meaning it revolves more around absurd situations than silly and witty dialogue, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It fits in more with the reference material, as well as the subject matter. It's tough to tell when the script ended and the editing started, in terms of the storytelling, but however it was done, I loved it.

The cinematography and stylized effects are great. No other movies look like this one. It's part video game and part comic book, and all uniquely atmospheric. The score and soundtrack also play a big part in creating the atmosphere. For a non-musical there's a lot of music, both as ambience and as sounds that characters are physically making. There's probably six or seven music performances, and all of them are accompanied by crazy visuals. Again, very unique.

I love all of Edgar Wright's work, but "Scott Pilgrim" is my favorite. I don't know if it's relatable or amusingly isolating or what, but there's something about it that I really connect with. I do wish it were a bit longer, so some of the left out material from the comics could be included, but I understand why cuts were made. And in a world with an abundance of comic book movies that hardly resemble comic books at all, I entirely appreciate that films like this exist.
June 28, 2017
I can't really tell if I'm banking on pure nostalgia and prejudice here, considering I've watched this movie religiously ever since my first viewing, but I think I'm able to say that this is an excellent piece of cult film. I don't know, there's too much to love about this movie: the soundtrack, cinematography, visuals; and that's not even getting into the story or the characters, or the pacing.

The film sets itself up to be a romantic comedy right from the start, and remains that way throughout the film, albeit transitioning into more of a comedy/action/romance film shortly after it opens, paralleling the graphic novels. It's an almost jarring change between genres, but considering how funny it is of a change, it adds to film's excellence, I guess, you know?

The film does its source material great justice, translating the characters to screen very nicely. The romance between the leads, Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, transcends it's paper-based counterpart, really adding to the films greatness.

Oh yeah, it's also like a video game.
June 28, 2017
This is a cult classic. It's fun, witty, and fast. What Edgar Wright was able to do in this movie with transitions and pacing will change the industry for years to come.
June 27, 2017
One of my favourite films of all time; a far better service to the video-game community than any other movie. Truly wonderful.
June 27, 2017
It's a very VISUAL movie, filled with CGI words and effects everywhere. It brings out the intentions of the comic series while changing a few things to make it into a movie-format. Plus, they actually read most of the lines from the comics themselves!
June 27, 2017
The first 20 or 30 minutes are not all that great, the transitions may get tiring but the moment the evil ex's get involved the movie turns for the better with awesome battles and smoother transitions and progression.
½ June 26, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: By this point the whole world knew how brilliant Edgar Wright was, but I think it's fairly safe to say we didn't know quite how brilliant he could be, as 'Scott Pilgrim vs the World' really was a new height for this awesome? filmmaker as he produced something far more personal, unique and quirky than even 'Shaun of the Dead.' Yes here we get a film that drips with mad personality; from the basis of its epic story, to its crazy editing and use of music, and the result is something that feels extremely independent, and just downright loveable.
It could of course be a worry though that with this level of madness, the film could potentially leave many disgusted or disengaged, but Wright not only counteracts that with his usual snappy whit and humility, but he also does so with genuinely human characters that you care about thanks to their foundations in more genuine human territories. In fact, the sheer manor in which you're so engaged is frankly breathtaking here when you consider what Wright is actually doing, and in the end this masterpiece ends up not only a brilliant comedy, but also an equally brilliant character drama with some great things to say.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It does loose some of its snappy intelligence towards the end as it descends into sheer madness, but at least you're unequivocally on board by then.
VERDICT: Wright's most human, quirky and down-right engaging movie proves that anything can be put to film if you do it right.
June 25, 2017
A great combination of good acting, memorable characters, and a funny script. This film manages to be unique while staying relatable and tells a story you'll never forget.
June 23, 2017
Really funny and clever.
June 11, 2017
I may have seen this movie but not in a freaking long time!5/5!