Seven Beauties (Pasqualino Settebellezze) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Beauties (Pasqualino Settebellezze) Reviews

July 27, 2016
Giancarlo Giannini seems to be hamming it up comically in his part as a wannabe macho loser in Naples during Mussolini's rise to power. But director Lina Wertmuller puts him through the meat grinder instead. First, he accidentally kills his sister's pimp and gets 12 years in the insane asylum. Then, after raping another inmate, he is freed in order to fight in WWII but deserts and is captured by the Germans and placed in a concentration camp. In order to survive, he decides to seduce the queen bitch female commandant but she has other tortures planned for him. Wertmuller cheerfully ignores the boundaries of good taste but manages to say something about shame and degradation. Is it better to humiliate oneself (and even commit atrocities) in order to walk away alive or should one sacrifice one's meaningless existence for a moral principle, even when the sacrifice will have no effect? Maybe we'd all choose the latter (or we'd like to think we would) but not Giannini. He suffers instead. There is a Fellini-esque flavour to the proceedings but things get much darker than the maestro chose to go.
April 26, 2016
grrr another lost review flixter!!!
January 20, 2016
This is the meaning of satire. Dry, subtle and over the top. Couldn't find a comedian today that could be more harsh and insulting than the criticism leveraged at white (namely Italian) machismo with this film.
September 20, 2015
I saw this in the mid-Seventies and it has been a favorite ever since. It held so much meaning for me at the time. I should watch it again. but I'm afraid to disturb the memory.
½ August 2, 2014
Um clássico do cinema italiano, que sobreviveu incólume
ao passar dos últimos 38 anos desde que o vi no Cinema Um de Santos.
Divertido, rude, sádico e cínico.
April 29, 2014
It was very controversial when it came out and NOBODY remembers it now. They should.
April 20, 2014
One of the greatest movies of all time. A great comedy / drama about one man's fight to survive through sheer cowardice, luck, stupidity and perspicacity through WW2. Simply fantastic... at moments hilarious, heart rending but always on a perfect note, featuring one of the greatest film actors of all time Giancarlo Giannini in one of the greatest film performances of all time. A rare treasure! If you find this flick you must watch! Bravissimo.
March 14, 2014
No doubt this was an inspiration for black comedies depicting the war in later decades. The two leads are absolutely hilarious in their mishaps in the midst of such a terrible conflict.
½ February 28, 2014
With such a glut of Nazi-themed movies it's hard for one to stand out, but this one certainly does, with its vivid direction, melodramatic direction, and unusual interplay of gender roles. Giancarlo Giannini and Shirley Stoler deliver excellent performances.
½ November 10, 2013
Wonderful movie in which an army deserter Frafuso (Giancarlo Giannini) gets lost with another army deserter (Piero de Orio) and tells how became to such a state. Frafuso was disgusted with his sister (Elena Fiore) who becomes a stripper and states to her that she had essentially dishonoured his family. However, she upgrades in terms if dishonouring the family when she becomes a prostitute for her man (Mario Conti). Frafuso loathes this ideas and murders her man in the process, leading him to prosecution for murder and imprisonment, under a grossly, unpleasant looking drill sergeant (Shirley Stoller). This eventually puts him into the army and brings him to his state of desertion with the other man. It's a very compelling movie, in the way that it is told (going between present times and past times) and the thorough character study on Frafuso. It is pretty oppressive to women though and at times pretty ugly, but also, at times, surprisingly funny. Actor Fernando Rey does not a have substantial part, because the only I recall seeing him was near the end of the movie as a "nut" and as usual, he is good. Another fine film from Italy!
February 25, 2013
What a strange film.
December 18, 2012
One of the most heartbreaking films I have ever seen.A film that shows what the human spirit can endure and be broken because of it.
July 18, 2012
Nominated for five Oscars, "Seven Beauties" remains a singular example of women's cinema grappling with the tattered shreds of war to get at otherwise unspoken truths.
½ May 9, 2012
This is one of the great satires and perhaps Wertmuller's best piece.She attacks war, politics, and especially men (the only honorable man in this film literally drowns in a community toilet). Then there is Giannini's Pasqualino, a bumbling criminal and con man who, through the problems he encounters by way of his own actions, comes to learn what humanity truly is.
May 14, 2011
Amazing tragicomedy about World War II. Not easy to watch, but extremely well-acted!
March 20, 2011
Lina Wertmuller(Swept Away) explores the fascinating and the inexplicable that some will find troubling. Giancarlo Giannini plays Pasqualino Frafusco, a crude man who uses his power over women and his wits to survive. Pasqualino murders his sister's pimp, thrown into a mental institution and then is put into a concentration camp. His need for self-preservation leads him to make some awful,ghastly and bizarre decisions,

This is the blackest of comedies that is so unique that even decades after its original release this movie still has little to compare it to. I don't plan to give anything more away, but Gianinni gives a fantastic performance. Wertmuller is fast becoming one of my favorite directors of all time. I will be rewatching this.
March 9, 2011
Disturbing, powerful, and out-loud-funny as well as tragic; "Seven Beauties" is the work of a genius, a movie about the WWII unlike any other, and a deeply rich examination of the human condition. Giancarlo Giannini's performance is a creative work of apotheosic value.
½ February 27, 2011
Well... that's quite something. Very original, very distinct... I don't know if I took to it altogether, but Giannini is absolutely fantastic. And it's not often that you see a story about such a resilient coward. There are a few real bravura moments, and I think for the most part I like Wertmüller's style, however dated it might be. Not quite the film I was expecting, to say the least. Quite hilarious in parts, truth be told.
February 3, 2011
Irony is challenging enough for native speakers.