Sexy Beast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sexy Beast Reviews

½ August 31, 2016
The other day, my lady Tammy and I watched director Glazer's recent 'Under the Skin' and loved its otherworldly wackiness and ambience, and as I had his first two films on DVD, we decided that at the very least, this first one demanded immediate investigation. I've adored Ray Winstone's work since his early days working in the films of Sir Alan Clarke, and Ben Kingsley's always a treat. Watching the characters brought back such awesome memories of my teenage days, travelling throughout England and continental Europe in December, 1986, as well. We can't wait to hopefully check out 'Birth' later this week...This was definitely one of the best and most original British gangster movies since the likes of 'The Long Good Friday' and 'Mona Lisa' from that era...
½ August 17, 2016
By far the worst movie I have EVER seen in my life! DO NOT BELIEVE THE RATING! It must have been paid for from the movie studios!
June 19, 2016
Pretty good. The movie's plot has not or at least not been used over and over before. Good flow. Good acting. Great movie.
May 13, 2016
Sexy Beast is a master's course in dialogue. I watch this movie at least once a year or more just to study various scenes. Specifically, the scene where Don Logan (Ben Kingsley) is pressuring Gal (Ray Winstone) on the beach is one of my favorite tirades of all time.

Don - "Talk to me,Gal. I'm here for you. I'm a good listener."

Gal - "What can I say, Don? I've said it all. I'm retired."

Don - "Shut up."

A long abusive - yet poetic - stream of abuse follows.

I wont write the entire scene line by line because it's full of swearing. But these small bit of dialogue alone is a good example This immediate switch up is a perfect example of the kind of psychological terrorism Don Logan deploys throughout damn near every moment he's on the screen.

Both Kingsley and Winstone deliver amazing performances. So amazing the viewer believes Winstone's character is terrified of Kingsley despite a striking difference in physical size. This is something director, Jonathan Glazer, takes pains to occlude. For example, in the scene mentioned above, Kingsley stands on on a mound of sand so it looks like he towers over the other man. And it works, but only because Kingsley has such skill at inhabiting this character that Don Logan remains a ferocious presence throughout the film.

I'll not add yet another synopsis of this movie to a site full of them. But I will say this: at it's heart, sexy beast is a love story hidden inside a gangster movie with 'the job' serving merely as the MacGuffin for a much deeper quest for both characters.

Great flick for anyone to watch, but if you are a writer, this is a must-see film.
March 6, 2016
One of the few films I envy for its sheer brilliance.
February 14, 2016
Interesting, but not one I want to see again.
December 28, 2015
A clever, no holds barred dark comedy with brilliant performances and exciting crime.
November 1, 2015
Didn't really like it as much as I thought I would. All the performances are great, though, especially Kingsley's.
½ October 18, 2015
It is quite a stretch to imagine the actor who once portrayed Gandhi, also playing the fearsome, psychopathic thug who comes calling in this film. Any doubts concerning Ben Kingsley's versatility as an actor -- hard to imagine as that is -- are put to rest when one contrasts him in both those roles. The film-makers apparent intentions were to make another hip British crime drama with some sly humor here and there, and they are largely successful in that purpose. What I'll remember most about this film is the rapid-fire, barely intelligible, dialogue coming from Kingsley's character as he bullies the simultaneously lazy-eyed and horrified protagonist, so brilliantly played by Ray Winstone.
September 18, 2015
Quite possibly the most savage movie gangster of all time. Pretty sure that if I got into a fist fight with Don Logan i would lose that fight quickly and badly
August 29, 2015
Not a fan. I had almost not patience for it, finding the pacing to be painfully slow. Everything felt needlessly drawn out and thus like very little was happening. I love Ben Kingsley but watching him call someone fat and hurl loud insults and snap all the time didn't really do much for me. Also, the movie looked super cheap. I see that scene of Ian with the huge bank vault door opening and I see where most of the budget went. I also adore Ian McShane but the only joy I got out of seeing him was hearing is amazing voice for all of three lines he has. He don't really get to do anything. I hoped the movie would take off at some point, but alas, it never does.
½ August 22, 2015
The film tries to twist the genre of typical British Gangster movie into the character driven movie wherein you are shown more of the character their turmoil rather than the plot as to what is happening. Both the lead actors ie. Kingsley and Winstone give superb performance and they are suitable supported by other actors. The only problem with the film is the plot which is very lame robbery too is lame. An very average film due to lack of plot.
½ July 21, 2015
Sexy Beast! Sexy Beast had me excited to watch this movie, with the plot, the oscar nomination from Ben Kingsley's performance and the fact that it was Jonathan Glazer's directorial debut. He directed under the skin which is one of my favourite movies which is why i was excited for sexy beast considering all the great reviews, back to Sexy Beast. This film was a tremendous disapointment and i couldn't believe how boring and stupid the writing of this movie was. This movie was literally nothing but a bunch of brits swearing ( which i do constantly myself ) and a hideous climax and also some very, very poor and confusing visual metaphors thrown in the movie, including a horrible ending that also has somthing to do with the poor metaphor that is thrown in your face when watching this film, knowing that it isn't an art film, and making the tone feel very, very unconsistant. Yes Ben Kingsley did a good job in this movie. he never once in this movie made me believe that this performance was oscar worthy. i could bareley even comprehend what he was saying half the time with his silly british accent and rediculous outbursts. This movie was a peice of shit. I did enjoy the intro to this movie though forsure, also i really enjoyed the lead in this film, he was very good and was by far the only good character in this movie. Oh and just one more thing... this movie was less than 90 minutes, and it felt like it was 120. thats pretty bad. that's a problem, that's the fucking problem you cunt! Don't watch this shitty fucking movie.
½ May 28, 2015
Winstone versus doesn't get much better than that.
½ May 3, 2015
This movie is all about atmosphere, style, and dialogue; but the atmosphere, style, and dialogue suck. The first hour is a repetitive bore, and the last 20 minute just goes through the motions.
May 1, 2015
Thrilling from start to finish, "Sexy Beast" showcases all of the visual magic and tricky camerawork Glazer has honed in later works and features an exceptional, Oscar-worthy performance from Ben Kingsley.
½ April 23, 2015
I'm a huge believer in Ben kingsley and his bizarre psychopath role in this film. so many quotables. seriously, just the mention of his character and the feeling the characters have about him even when he's not on screen keeps the tension alive from start to finish.
April 14, 2015
Ben Kingsley showed a side of himself I'd never seen... he was "hardcore" in this film... Ray Winstone was great as well.
½ April 3, 2015
An electric British gangster film with a slight grind house panache and a biting script. It's a lean and mean ride that is elevated by all the players involved, especially Kingsley and Winstone. Jonathan Glazer establishes himself as a unique voice with the engaging 'Sexy Beast'.
March 31, 2015
Ben Kingsley produces one of the most electrifying performance in cinema in this hard hitting and ambitious british gangster flick.