Sexy Beast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sexy Beast Reviews

½ August 27, 2017
I've seen a lot of gangster films, and this one is a good one, even though it's not the best one I've seen. I found it a littlelong, even though it's less than a hour and a half. But I like the cinematography, give it a realistic look, and with a trio of famous actors, Ben Kingley, Ian McShane and Ray Winstone. It's one of the slower gangster movies, one who doesn't rely on a lot of blood and action cnes, like gunfights and car chases. But it's still a good movie and watch if you've got time.
August 22, 2017
Kingsley is so singularly memorable, he becomes a perpetual afterthought and for the film, it resonates his infamy both with him on and off the screen.
August 20, 2017
Ben Kingsley, Ben Kingsley, and Ben Kingsley.
½ August 20, 2017
Very entertaining movie!
½ March 31, 2017
What really makes this film perfect is the length. It's a short, sweet, well packaged, viscous little movie. Strongly stylistic-from the colors to the accents-and just surreal enough to keep me really interested in a story I normally wouldn't have given a shit about. It is a love story, as my friend Vern pointed out, but its also just brilliantly written character work... you know who everybody is within the first minute of meeting them on screen and that right there takes some writing and acting talent.
February 19, 2017
Ben Kingsley's absorbing performance unfortunately isn't enough from keeping Sexy Beast from falling into a boring and unoriginal gangster film.
½ February 18, 2017
This would be a fairly routine British gangster movie were it not for some great performances (Ray Winston, Amanda Redman and especially Ben Kingsley). Kingsley's character is a truly villainous, intimidating and foul-mouthed thug who can ware down Winston by spitting vitriol at him until he agrees to do a job.
½ February 8, 2017
stylish British gangster film. Great performances from Ben Kingsley and Ray winstone
January 13, 2017
Just gets better and better each time you watch. First class!!
January 1, 2017
Ben Kingsley strides across this film like a colossus, tending to obliterate everything else about the film. His Don Logan is an amazing rage fueled monster, spitting out vitriolic absurdities and convincingly intimidating Ray Winstone, which is quite a feat. I can honestly say that I had no idea Kingsley had it in him. It's a bit of a shame that he's so powerful and memorable because he tends to overshadow Winstone's extremely strong, but subdued performance and some great supporting performances by the likes of Ian McShane. It also tends to obscure the subtleties of Glazer's really funny, artsy crime pic.
November 27, 2016
Typical gangster movie combined with black comedy, highlighted by the superb Ben Kingsley performance.
½ August 31, 2016
The other day, my lady Tammy and I watched director Glazer's recent 'Under the Skin' and loved its otherworldly wackiness and ambience, and as I had his first two films on DVD, we decided that at the very least, this first one demanded immediate investigation. I've adored Ray Winstone's work since his early days working in the films of Sir Alan Clarke, and Ben Kingsley's always a treat. Watching the characters brought back such awesome memories of my teenage days, travelling throughout England and continental Europe in December, 1986, as well. We can't wait to hopefully check out 'Birth' later this week...This was definitely one of the best and most original British gangster movies since the likes of 'The Long Good Friday' and 'Mona Lisa' from that era...
½ August 17, 2016
By far the worst movie I have EVER seen in my life! DO NOT BELIEVE THE RATING! It must have been paid for from the movie studios!
June 19, 2016
Pretty good. The movie's plot has not or at least not been used over and over before. Good flow. Good acting. Great movie.
May 13, 2016
Sexy Beast is a master's course in dialogue. I watch this movie at least once a year or more just to study various scenes. Specifically, the scene where Don Logan (Ben Kingsley) is pressuring Gal (Ray Winstone) on the beach is one of my favorite tirades of all time.

Don - "Talk to me,Gal. I'm here for you. I'm a good listener."

BEAT

Gal - "What can I say, Don? I've said it all. I'm retired."

Don - "Shut up."

A long abusive - yet poetic - stream of abuse follows.

I wont write the entire scene line by line because it's full of swearing. But these small bit of dialogue alone is a good example This immediate switch up is a perfect example of the kind of psychological terrorism Don Logan deploys throughout damn near every moment he's on the screen.

Both Kingsley and Winstone deliver amazing performances. So amazing the viewer believes Winstone's character is terrified of Kingsley despite a striking difference in physical size. This is something director, Jonathan Glazer, takes pains to occlude. For example, in the scene mentioned above, Kingsley stands on on a mound of sand so it looks like he towers over the other man. And it works, but only because Kingsley has such skill at inhabiting this character that Don Logan remains a ferocious presence throughout the film.

I'll not add yet another synopsis of this movie to a site full of them. But I will say this: at it's heart, sexy beast is a love story hidden inside a gangster movie with 'the job' serving merely as the MacGuffin for a much deeper quest for both characters.

Great flick for anyone to watch, but if you are a writer, this is a must-see film.
March 6, 2016
One of the few films I envy for its sheer brilliance.
February 14, 2016
Interesting, but not one I want to see again.
December 28, 2015
A clever, no holds barred dark comedy with brilliant performances and exciting crime.
November 1, 2015
Didn't really like it as much as I thought I would. All the performances are great, though, especially Kingsley's.
½ October 18, 2015
It is quite a stretch to imagine the actor who once portrayed Gandhi, also playing the fearsome, psychopathic thug who comes calling in this film. Any doubts concerning Ben Kingsley's versatility as an actor -- hard to imagine as that is -- are put to rest when one contrasts him in both those roles. The film-makers apparent intentions were to make another hip British crime drama with some sly humor here and there, and they are largely successful in that purpose. What I'll remember most about this film is the rapid-fire, barely intelligible, dialogue coming from Kingsley's character as he bullies the simultaneously lazy-eyed and horrified protagonist, so brilliantly played by Ray Winstone.