Un Baiser s'il vous plaît (Shall We Kiss?) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Un Baiser s'il vous plaît (Shall We Kiss?) Reviews

June 25, 2014
I can't find the right adjectives to describe just how grandiose this was. Hands down the best Romance movie I've watched this year. Julie Gayet is life.
May 5, 2014
kinda lame and no ha ha
February 4, 2013
a movie with good potential but not to my expectations... bad directing and horrible acting has killed it.
January 25, 2013
Excellent depth in plot. Humorous, yet still a good final message..even though--well, I won't ruin the ending. ;) The modern scandalous romance films pale in comparison.
½ January 3, 2013
Convuluted hijinks as friends decide to take things just a little step furthur to temporarily ease the loneliness of one ... nobody'll get hurt, right? We'll still be friends, right? Wrong. You could pass on this light truffle.
½ December 4, 2012
Shall We Kiss (2007) may not require much deep thought but nevertheless it is has the same pleasant and quirky feel like most romantic comedies. The main characters are delightful, charming, and know how to engage their audience. What seems to be most noteworthy of all their performances is the chemistry they have with one another. The sexual tension and love between the characters is so raw and present in their expressions that the audience cannot help but feel a sense of commitment to them and their relationships. The music soundtrack is by Schubert and Tchaikovsky, and it helps add to upbeat and light flair of the film. Though the film contains charm and character you cannot help but question how realistic the story line is. The characters approach love and sex with such recklessness; you wonder why they are unable to just act their age. They may act competent and composed, but they treat adultery and betrayal with such abandonment you wonder if they have no shame. Not to mention, Shall We Kiss (2007) likes to draw out the most uncomfortable of scenes, leaving any one in their right mind squirming and praying for it to be over. This film was written and directed by Emmanuel Mouret, who also plays the films main character of Nicholas. Though he is well known for being both a director and an actor; he has received more praise and recognition as a director. Though he did not receive any rewards for this film, he has won countless others including: Best Screenplay for his film The Art of Love (2011). As a director he chooses very bland costumes and set design to focus all the attention on the dialogue, which is very apparent in Shall We Kiss (2007) with all the beige apartments and costumes. By drawing attention away from the cinematography, the audience can focus on his main ideas. Emmanuel Mouret seems to be communicating two main ideas in his film. The first idea follows a repeatedly used cliche theme for romantic comedies: a man and a women cannot be just friends if physical attraction exists between them. The main characters Judith and Nick had shared a beautiful friendship for years until the day that Nick asked her to give him the physical attention he has been lacking in his life. Though they thought they could go back to being friends, it proved to be impossible because of the physical attraction developing into love between them. This idea is exemplified in a scene where Nick pulls Judith aside at an art gallery and tells her that he is in love with her and cannot stop thinking about her since they had acted upon their physical attractions. True to cliche romantic comedy form, Judith agrees and they give into their sexual desires for one another. The second main idea is that the regret of adultery eventually catches up to you. This is exemplified by the fact that Judith does not seem to have much remorse for her adulterous actions, until she had to come clean to her husband that she was cheating on him. Afterwards, she tells Nicholas that she cannot be happy for a while unless her ex-husband is happy again. Emmanuel Mouret proves that no form of cheating is free from remorse. Though the film had its strengths and weaknesses, one aspect of this film was consistent: it always oozed French culture. Down to the composers mentioned, paintings on the wall and the way the characters dressed, there was nothing un-French about this movie. For example the women are always dressed classy and with minimal makeup. The film even ended in typical French form: leaving us with no clear answers of what happened to the characters, and leaving it up to our own imagination. For example, we wonder in the end if the last kiss scene was truly platonic or if it will develop into something more. Though Shall we Kiss (2007) may not be the most memorable of romantic comedies; it is defiantly worth seeing!
September 3, 2012
Just watched this movie and I really liked it. Should I say a typical French romantic comedy?
March 26, 2012
I've seen several movies where it's this same setting. Two characters who are attracted to each other but are both with another person so they fuck each other behind their partners' backs. I've also seen movies where the people being cheated on are presented as good people, yet you're supposed to root for the people who are fucking around...that's shitty writing quite frankly. How am I supposed to root for the two characters, however in love they may be, when 'good' people are being fucked over? Thankfully that's not the case with this movie, as the characters, right from the very beginning, are presented as selfish dicks who really don't care about hurting anyone as long as they get what they want. And that's what carries the movie. If they were presented in any other way, the movie wouldn't have worked. And I love how, at the beginning, when they start their affair they're so serious about rationalizing what they're doing. As if they were discussing, seriously and sternly, the 19th century existentialist movement. That's where most of the comedy comes from. And that's where the movie really shines, unfortunately once they start taking their affair seriously, that aspect of the movie is gone and the movie just isn't as funny. I still think it's a good movie with some entertaining aspects and the way they build up to the final kiss was good and effective, in spite of fucking over poor Claudio yet again. Anyway good movie, with a decent enough story and enough laughs to carry it even if it peaks way too early.
March 14, 2012
While billed as a "comedy," this fine French film is so much more. Emmanuel Mouret has crafted a beautiful script, which he sensitively directed, and in which he plays a leading role. The premise of "Shall We Kiss?" may be a tad far-fetched, but as the two "love" stories play themselves out, we come away deeply touched, sad, and still, with smiles on our faces. The subtle use of Schubert's music throughout, coupled with the "back story" of Schbert's ill fated marriage, add an unwritten subtext to this exceptional film. "Shall We KIss?" is well worth your time and your thought. Be sure to see it with someone special! Bravo!
January 1, 2012
Cute. Took a while for that kiss.
½ October 14, 2011
There is always an option...
½ September 12, 2011
Quite an entertaining romantic comedy... I can't help but notice that the actress of Caline (Frederique Bel) bears some resemblance to Taylor Swift and the one who played Emilie (Julie Gayet) looks like Kristin-Scott Thomas.
August 19, 2011
"Un Baiser s'il vous plait" is a clever French romantic comedy whose story takes place on two different levels. I really liked this narrative story-telling technique, as it gives a reason for experiencing this unfortunate love story. It also allows the camera to cut away before the sex scenes get graphic by returning to the narrator. I also like how a lot of the details fit in with the overall story, such as the great soundtrack of classical music fitting in with Claudio's love for Schubert. I really enjoyed the actors, particularly the gorgeous Virginie Ledoyen and Emmanuel Mouret. Their sexual encounters initially seem emotionless; however, this successfully shows their hesitancy to begin the affair as their chemistry gets better as the relationship progresses. Looking at the other main actors (Bel, Gayet, Accorsi, and Cohen), I wonder if they could have possibly chosen a more attractive cast! The film is punctuated by an unexpected truth that is revealed at the end as well as a cliff-hanger ending that makes a statement about how desire often takes precidence over what we know is right (which is the theme of the entire film). Despite the cliff-hanger, the ending is satisfying as it ties the two stories together and makes you reexamine your own relationships.
August 9, 2011
I was hooked, even though the main characters had no chemistry what so ever. The chick telling the story to the stranger had way more chemistry.
June 22, 2011
Directed & Written beautifully!
June 16, 2011
Awesome romcomdram delivered as only the French seem to know how to do it. And I love the French.
½ May 15, 2011
funny movie about kisses and how they can wreck a platonic friendship. the last scene is quite a breathtaker.
May 10, 2011
weak plot, unconvincing acting... bleah!
½ April 13, 2011
The narrators storyline ruins what the rest of the movie seems geared to accomplish. What few merits this film has unfortunately fall apart by the end. If you feel for the characters at all, you will not by then. One of those movies that the critics seemed to like, and I just don't see why....