Sharpe's Eagle Reviews

• Mar 09, 2014

First, let me start be saying I can't believe this is now over 20 years old! (It was released in 1993). Based on the novel by Bernard Cornwell, and with a pre-Bond-villain Sean Bean in the lead role, this was only the 2nd TV movie in the series, based on what was (then) the 2nd in the series of novels. I say 'then', as Cornwell later produced many prequel stories, some of which have also been adapted for TV. In this one (as in the novel), Sharpe is given a commission in the newly-raised South Essex, which suffers at the hands of it's Commanding Officer Henry Simmerson and manages to lose it's colours (i.e. Regimental Flag) - the ultimate disgrace for a battalion - leading Sharpe to vow he will capture a French Eagle to make up for the loss. As a made-for-TV production, it's true that the budget constraints do show (especially in the final battle of Talavera), but this still manages to stick pretty closely to the events of the book. I'd still *love* to see a big-screen adaptation of one of the novels, though!

• Apr 12, 2012

I watched Sharpeâ(TM)s Eagle earlier today, number 2 in the list of Sharpeâ(TM)s TV Series I am watching. I particularly enjoyed the novel, it was the first Sharpe novel I ever read, and I always enjoyed the film. It was great to see Teresa return, and also it was the introduction of Lord Simmerson, who granted is a prat in the series, but an interesting character in the episode. But one surprise was realizing that Daniel Craig was in it as one of Lord Simmersonâ(TM)s lackeys, so cold and demonic in his stance, I was very impressed by him. But now, I am excited for the next episode, which contains the evil Obadiah Hakeswillâ¦

• Apr 05, 2010

The surprise guest star was Daniel Craig, but back in 1993, I'm not sure how well known he was. Not quite as good as the first one, but well worth the 90 minute escape.

• Jan 18, 2009

Framleis held historia om Sharpe seg på eit høgt nivå :-)

Framleis held historia om Sharpe seg på eit høgt nivå :-)

• Lone W Super Reviewer
    Oct 25, 2008

sharpe is the best love all of sharpes stuff

sharpe is the best love all of sharpes stuff

• Jul 31, 2008

Sharpe movies are a blast. Real cool derring do, with enough in the way of engrossing cliches mixed with surprising humanity.

• Jul 18, 2008

DAMN YOUR EYES, SHARPE!

DAMN YOUR EYES, SHARPE!

• Jun 28, 2008

More solid Sharpe, with an early performance by a then unknown Daniel Craig.

More solid Sharpe, with an early performance by a then unknown Daniel Craig.

• Apr 24, 2008

Clegg and Bean give Cornwell's Napoleonic hero a second, equally creaky, ITV outing. Boys! Let's load up and do some shootin'!

• Nov 22, 2007

A very good cast and not as good story (this episode) perhaps, but as a series Sharpe's superb!