Shoot the Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shoot the Moon Reviews

April 25, 2017
If you have ever experienced a divorce, or been in one, Shoot the Moon knows what it is like. Usually dismissed as a "family drama," this 1982 film starring the incomparable Albert Finney (the greatest actor the Earth has ever had walk on it) and the excellent Diane Keaton is among the most genuine portraits of love's trance ever produced. Lov, is a physical mirage. Once you're in it, you can't get out of it, and if you're out of it you usually look for the person who looks like the one you were originally married to. When Finney and Keaton divorce, Keaton finds Peter Weller, who looks quite a bit like Finney, and Finney finds Karen Allen, who strikes a resemblance to Keaton. They each try to make scenes but it somehow draws them together. One might recall Bunuel's "That Obscure Object of Desire," when a sexually repressed man falls in love with the same women, played by two different people that alternate between scenes. Take that, and insert the more emotionally-charged side of it. Now you have more compelling material.
½ May 10, 2015
Highly underrated and somewhat forgotten study of divorce. Albert Finney and Diane Keaton give painfully real performances.
March 5, 2015
A racking film which explores divorce with sensitivity and artistic skill.
December 13, 2014
The best movie ever made about divorce! Top 25 movies of the 80s!
½ July 4, 2013
Keaton is tremendous, once again.
½ June 26, 2013
Pretentious trash that takes shallow to new depths. A portrait of a marriage of two selfish and self-absorbed people that goes nowhere. I spent two of the longest hours of my life watching this repetitive and boring film.
February 19, 2013
One of the best ever.
December 9, 2012
Effective '80s divorce drama with great, yet mostly forgotten, turns from Diane Keaton and Albert Finney. Dana Hill, mostly known as Audrey Griswold in EUROPEAN VACATION, is surprisingly fantastic as the oldest child caught in the middle.
September 9, 2012
This one's very good and competent. Top notch performances by every single actor (even RoboCop Peter Weller does a neat job!). But for me, the best thing about this movie is the young girl's performances! WOW! These young actresses really know how to act, and as far as I'm concerned, there should have been - at least - an Oscar nomination for the extremely talented Dana Hill (RIP), playing the part of the oldest child.
April 30, 2012
December 17, 2011
Albert Finney and Diane Keaton are great. Takes such a painful and realistic view on divorce. Then all the sudden they have two scenes near the end that are so far out in left field you feel tricked that you actually cared.
November 21, 2011
Good film about a unhappy marriage. But, Shoot the Moon is very emotional and have one of the worst end that I ever see, that makes the audience saw more, but unfortunately is impeded to see.
½ May 1, 2011
What an emotional rollercoaster of a film, what with all the platesmashing and slammed doors and running around. I really, really loved this in the first hour, but after the second hour brought more of the same drama, my appreciation for it dropped significantly.
½ December 6, 2009
That scene where Finney looses his cool is still fresh in my mind. It isn't Parker's best film, but it's pretty damn good.
½ August 14, 2009
temat ciezki, wiec smutno. tak lubie. i diane super, i mala dana hill, rewelacja.
May 28, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
½ March 11, 2009
a good movie about the ending of a marrage
March 2, 2009
January 24, 2009
When people say that Diane Keaton can't act. I always point them in the direction of this film. She goes further than any actress I can think of to that place most relationships I know, in real life, end up. She is superb in this beautifully paced and shot film. Her and Albert Finney should of been nominated.