Sicario: Day of the Soldado - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sicario: Day of the Soldado Reviews

November 11, 2018
liked it enough to check it out twice.
November 10, 2018
Wonderful movie worth watching. Would watch again.
November 7, 2018
Plot and action didn't stop moving until the ending credits.
½ November 7, 2018
Not as intense or intriguing as the first, but Day of the Soldado is a pretty decent sequel to Sicario with good performances, good action, and scenes of brutality.
November 5, 2018
Great movie great cast ,now stop , use the rule of 2 . Don't kill it making more.
½ November 5, 2018
If the first Sicario didn't demonstrate the brutalities of the Mexican drug cartel enough, this sequel does it even more powerfuly, tackling current events like illegal immigration, drugs and terrorism. It's a solid movie, with strong performances by Benecio Del Toro, again, Josh Brolin and even young Isabela Moner, as well as plenty of bloody shoot-em-ups, but the new additional characters are too thinly developed and it's true that the film doesn't bring anything new to the first film. But overall, it's a good crime thriller, and I'm interested to see what the third installment in development will be like. Recommended!!
½ November 5, 2018
This sequel to the compelling SICARIO from a few years ago, falls into some of the traps sequels so frequently succumb to, but still has enough grit and enough tight film-making to be worth a look.

In the first film, we saw the convoluted and VERY morally / ethically suspect work of a group of law enforcement officers looking to make an impact on the drug trade along the border between Mexico and America, through the eyes of a tough but naive border agent (Emily Blunt). As she learned about the tactics, the brutality, etc...we learned right alongside her. Although some scenes in this movie from the over-rated Dennis Villaneuve (ARRIVAL and the recent intolerably boring BLADE RUNNER) were so dark you couldn't tell what was going on...there were well delineated performances and a sharp script from the amazing Taylor Sheridan (HELL OR HIGH WATER, WIND RIVER). The sequel has no real "new comer" to the game (Blunt is not in the sequel), but instead focuses on the returning characters of Josh Brolin (a CIA-type who uses "anything at his disposal" to clamp down on border crossings and the drug trade, and Benecio del Toro, a former attorney who know spends his time doing dirty work on behalf of the government, because he has a personal vendetta against the cartels.

Everything is highly predictable. Imagine, terrorists sneaking into America by joining in with groups of Central Americans who have paid drug mules to get them across. Stirring up trouble by tricking the cartels to get into a war with each other. Mexican law enforcement pretending to be helping the Americans, but then turning on them. (This predictable turn of events did lead to the most exciting action sequences of the film. The calm of the Americans in the face of machine gun fire into their bullet-proof windshields [which are slowly cracking] was a visceral thrill.) Del Toro continues to exact revenge, although this film gives us a chance to see his "good side." The Americans trigger the cartel war by kidnapping the daughter of a kingpin, but making it look like another cartel has done the deed. No surprise, things don't go well and the Americans agree that all witnesses (including the daughter) need to be "erased."

What I have described sounds very ordinary...but the crisp script (again from Sheridan) keeps things moving along quickly with lots of convincing detail to make all the events at least seem credible (they most certainly are NOT upon sober reflection). The specter of terrorists is effectively evoked in the early going of the film (although pretty much forgotten through most of the scenes). Frankly, these characters don't seem to care too much about the reasons for their fight...they just enjoy playing with their fancy toys. The whole film has an amoral veneer. These are men who have long since lost any real humanity, and are now highly trained killing machines. The performances from the two leads are suitably gritty (although Brolin relies too heavily on chewing gum really loudly to show how tightly wound he is). DelToro never fails to be interesting in a film...he's got a look that simply alerts us to the fact that lots of dark feelings are swirling behind his eyes. And in the SICARIO films, that characteristic suits the role perfectly. (I will say that Catherine Keener, in a small role has never been LESS convincing. I like her A LOT, but she just seems off and uncomfortable. Perhaps such a deeply immoral person is tough for her to play?)

This is a violent film with lots of casual death. It's told with an immediacy that is undeniably gripping. It comes off like an intelligent exploration of our border quandries, but it is really just very classy trash. Full of stereotypes and plot twists that aren't too surprising. But I still liked it because is also exuded grit, confidence and its own verisimilitude. The action sequences are very well staged. Characters are quickly sketched out for us. And by shamelessly tying America's understandable fear of terrorist attacks on our soil with our much murkier feelings about our southern borders, the film allows us to feel a certain deep-down satisfaction at having everything dumbed down to a battle between our "good guys who don't mind getting dirty" and the "poor, but completely heartless criminal culture along Mexico's border." It's a pretty bad movie told with extreme confidence and zest.
November 5, 2018
Besides the abrupt "there will be a sequel again" ending, I loved this movie... tho now I have to wait years to see what follows... *sigh*
November 4, 2018
Had me freaking out every two seconds. Brutal realism, Five stars
November 4, 2018
The first movie was great. I couldn't wait to see this movie. I was sadly disappointed. The story was all over the place and didn't make sense. The ending was terrible. Very disappointed.
½ November 1, 2018
the first Sicario was better
October 29, 2018
Fantastically real build up. None of this bullshit moral pondering of most films - just pure violence and realness. Even the ending was a huge shock... just when you thought it would go all fluffy and the day is saved... fuck no, think again. A++
½ October 26, 2018
Pretty damn good movie, really really good movie. Top notch acting, great action, suspense. Should be receiving sum Oscar nods.
October 25, 2018
A promising first half that looks as though it's almost going to live up to the original, gives way to a confusing and illogical mess of a second. A real pity.
October 23, 2018
Solid movie. I hope we get a third.
½ October 23, 2018
This film was really good. It was much better than the first film.
October 21, 2018
Not as good as the first but still enjoyable and entertaining.
October 21, 2018
The sequel is substantially different in every way from its predecessor, since one directed by Villenueve has a more elegant and composed direction, while Sollima's one is more rude, realistic and violent. Thus, the movie is good as it is, even as a standalone product. Violent scenes are perfectly executed.
10/21/2018
Sooo, Sicario is at least a trilogy, basing it on the ending of this one. Solid performance from Benicio (who looks a whole lot like a Latino Brad Pitt) and Josh.