Sicario: Day of the Soldado - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sicario: Day of the Soldado Reviews

January 20, 2019
I'm that guy who watches movies and talks under my breath about how much it sucks. I can't help myself.. I'm so annoying I constantly want to kick my own ass.

Movies that I hate:

I was going to make a list, but let just round.. 95% of everything. Not because of the actors, but the directors... buncha b1tches..

Movies that I like:

Anything with:

Mel Gibson blowing stuff up and smoking cigarettes.
Jason Statham taking off a suit jacket, hiking up his pants, and kicking goon ass.
Troy (with Brad Pitt) after ingesting at least a half bottle of bourbon.
Old School.. because debating is a good skill to develop, and I've never seen a finer example.
Blood Sport, obviously.
The Notebook.. because I'm comfortable with myself and that movie is romantic AF.

Also, this movie. Josh Brolin and BDT are straight badass. Hands-down must-see movie event of the year. Watch it with your girlfriend.
January 17, 2019
Excellent addition to the Sicario anthology
½ January 16, 2019
Pretty forgettable. Not bad but couldn't really work it out. Too much going on, did someone die or get shot? I dunno. First one was simpler and that was preferable. As I'm writing this i remember good scenes but it's too damn messy.
½ January 13, 2019
Might have been shown to Trump?
January 13, 2019
It's fine. Brolin and Del Toro are as good as ever. The storytelling just doesnt work as well without some version of Blunts character to be the audience/conscience. It's just amoral dudes in a "suspense" fighting the war on drugs. The "hero" I guess is the young girl. She's great. It'll be interesting to see what they do with a third part of this story. But this one didn't work for me. Maybe looking back in it after a 3rd I'll feel differently
January 12, 2019
Less a sequel to the original than a very good episode arc of Homeland. Solid performances by the original returning cast but really missing the aesthetic of the original and the presence of a conscientious observer as filled by Blunt in the original. Isabella Moner is a great addition too although I think they could have given her more to do.

With a third film coming, this ultimately felt like a good episode of a series rather than a film that stands it on its own. Though I haven't been blown away by either film in the franchise, I've enjoyed both plenty enough to anxiously anticipate the "series finale."
January 12, 2019
Awesome movie, nicely put together
January 9, 2019
good, well-made movie. had the same feel as the first one. i was a little unsatisfied when it was over but i enjoyed it overall. benicy is a beast. i probably won't watch this again (1 viewing)
½ January 9, 2019
Still a good movie, just not as good as it should have been. The action scenes were fantastic creating a lot of suspense. It had some slow scenes though, with an okay plot. The actors in this movie were fantastic as there characters. Definitely could have been better though.
½ January 9, 2019
Sicario 2 is rock solid, but plays things extremely safe. The lack of a foil character such as Blunt's Kate Macer from the first film, as well as the aggressive filming and soundtrack Dennis Villeneuve used, is sorely missed.
January 9, 2019
Sicario 2 isnt as good as the first but is a solid sequel. The whole film is 2 hours of straight suspense with its bloody and gritty scenes throughout.
½ January 9, 2019
Found it with boxxy software and watched for free. Sicario: Day of the Soldado isn't as intense as the first film, but it feels similar in tone. Alejandro Gillick (Benicio del Toro) is an interesting character, and the score heightens the tension of each grim scene. Fans of the original film will probably will be pleased with this sequel, but it's a film that weighs on you.
½ January 7, 2019
This film comes off more as a spin-off than a sequel to its morally ambiguous, psychological predecessor but offers a high-tension, fast paced action drama thriller that is just as potent.
January 4, 2019
Strengths: Led by Denis Vilenueve, the first Sicario was great. This one returned some of what made that one click. Benicio Del Toro (Alejandro Gillick) and Josh Brolin (Matt Graver) are both back and both are very good. They understand their characters. Del Toro is especially great. Isabela Moner (Isabel Reyes) is also very good, especially considering her age. There‚(TM)s an intensity to many of the scenes and having a child involved added to the stakes. I thought the cinematography was a positive element. It added a lot to the dark tone of the film and made it feel enough like the original. The violence throughout was also used well. It never felt like it was there for shock value, instead being efficient and effective.

Weaknesses: Ultimately, it never felt like there was a real reason for this sequel. It‚(TM)s kind of just there for the sake of it. Like, this story didn‚(TM)t need to be told. The bigger issue is the pacing. For a two hour movie, it felt closer to three as there were many scenes that seemed placed in odd points. It made things drag from time to time. Even so, the biggest issue might be how the final act falls flat. Something bigger needed to go down in the end and it just never seemed to get there.

Overall: I thought this was a good watch for the most part. It is tense and features solid acting. It just suffers from pacing issues and a lackluster final act.
½ January 4, 2019
Del Toro gets caught up in an attempt to control the boarders. (And lives). Some deadly (and gruesome) cartel action.
½ January 2, 2019
Sicario 2: Soldado
(2018)

Plot:
In the drug war, there are no rules - and when the U.S. government begins to suspect that cartels have started trafficking terrorists across the US border, federal agent Matt Graver (Josh Brolin) calls on the mysterious Alejandro (Benicio Del Toro), whose family was murdered by a cartel kingpin, to escalate the war in nefarious ways. Alejandro kidnaps the kingpin's daughter to inflame the conflict - but when the girl is seen as collateral damage, her fate will come between the two men as they question everything they are fighting for.

Review:
I quite enjoyed this intense thriller, which isn't as good as the first movie but it surprisingly kept me on the edge of my seat. I was disappointed with the ending, which left a lot of unanswered questions, but apart from that, the gripping storyline made it a joy to watch. Josh Brolin and Benicio del Toro put in a terrific performance, but I would have liked to have seen a showdown between the two tough agents at the end. I also wanted to see the cartel kingpin who had lost his daughter, and I think that the US government should have been punished for making a right mess of a self-made war. Anyway, after a terrible suicide bombing in Kansas City in a grocery store, which kills fifteen people, the US government call on CIA agent Matt Graver (Josh Brolin) to apply extreme measures to combat Mexican drug cartels, who are suspected of smuggling the terrorists across the border. Graver and the Department of Defense decide the best option is to instigate a war between the major cartels, and Graver recruits black operative Alejandro Gillick (Benicio del Toro) for the mission. Gillick assassinates a high-profile lawyer of The Matamoros cartel in Mexico City while Graver and his team kidnap Isabel Reyes (Isabela Moner), the daughter of the kingpin of their rival, in a false flag operation. Graver, Gillick and their team take Isabel to Texas and stage a "rescue" with the DEA and local police to make her think she was kidnapped by her father's enemies. Gillick bonds with Isabel and the team makes plans to transport her back to Mexico, intending to leave her in territory controlled by her father's rivals in order to further escalate the conflict. However, the Mexican police escort for their trip back across the border, double-cross them and attack the American vehicles. Graver and his team kill dozens of Mexican policemen to escape the ambush. Isabel flees the scene amidst the chaos and Gillick goes after her alone. Meanwhile, the American government determines that at least two of the suicide bombers in Kansas City were actually domestic terrorists, not foreign nationals, and thus were not smuggled into the US by the cartels. In order to quell tensions with Mexico, the Secretary of Defense orders the CIA to abandon the mission and erase all proof of American involvement by having Isabel and Gillick killed as part of the cover-up. Graver orders Gillick to kill Isabel but he refuses and runs rogue to keep her alive. Gillick knows that Isabel will be killed if they stay in Mexico, so they move to enter the US disguised as illegal immigrants. From there it turns into a kind of road movie, which definitely has its intense moments, but Gillick tries his utmost to keep Isabel alive. The ending did seem a bit rushed, but the director cleverly left it open for a next episode. I am interested in seeing Brolin and Del Toro progress through this franchise, as there is unfinished business to be resolved, and you really don't know if Del Toro is gunning for Brolin after leaving him for dead in the desert. Anyway, it's definitely worth a watch but it didn't have the impact of the first film. With that aside, the performances and the whole look and feel of the movie, make it feel like your in the heart of the action, and it definitely makes you question how far the government would go to cover up a mess that they created. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
This movie was directed by Stefano Sollima, who brought you the hit series Gomorrah and Campari: The Legend of Red Hand, which I haven't heard of. For his first movie for the big screen, he didn't let the franchise down, even though Emily Blunt didn't return in the lead. The storyline doesn't do the US government any favours, especially when it comes to them taking extreme measures to clean up their own mess, which might explain why the profit wasn't that huge. We are all used to seeing the American's being heroic and victorious but this film definitely shows a different side to there methods. Anyway, with Josh Brolin starring in some of the biggest movies in 2018, he surely doesn't disappoint in this movie. I just hope that they bring out another instalment soon because this franchise deserves a decent finale.

Budget: $35million
Worldwide Gross: $76million

Genre: Action, Crime, Drama, Thriller
Cast: Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin, Isabela Moner, Jeffrey Donovan, Catherine Kenner, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Matthew Modine, Shea Whigham and Elijah Rodriguez. 7/10
½ December 31, 2018
Si bien la primera entrega me pareció excelente, esta dista mucho de ello. Una trama innecesariamente intrincada para terminar siendo previsible.
December 31, 2018
Great 1st hour, mediocre 2nd hour. Worth a rental. First Sicario is one of my favorite movies ever. This one changes focus midway and then ends poorly/randomly.
½ December 26, 2018
If you just watch the first 3/4 of this movie, you will think this is an amazing movie. Such good direction and thick tension and drama. The end of the movie just fell apart.
December 26, 2018