Beauty (Skoonheid) Reviews

• Oct 29, 2019

if i should rate this movie out of 10 my rating will be -10000000000000 out of 10!! Thats how bad it is!!!!

• Jan 18, 2019

Beauty is phenomenally directed by Oliver Hermanus and powerfully acted by Deon Lotz who manages to convey emotion in his eyes alone. It's an arthouse picture which means the first half is a slow build-up, but the escalating second half is so powerful with the subdued emotional sequences being particularly noteworthy. It's both a moving and creepy film which superbly and memorably treats the subject of sexual obsession.

• Sep 27, 2017

I needed to hug someone after watching Skoonheid. One, because I was happy to have just watched the best South-African film ever made, and two, to calm my nerves. Oliver Hermanus has made a rather brilliant, but exceedingly disturbing film. In a nutshell Closeted Francois's perfect life as a husband, father, entrepreneur is about to unravel as he meets the young and gorgeous Christiaan. Mood of the film You live inside Francois's emotionally suppressed mind for the entire film. It is a sombre place. Best one-liner Six two-tone- and golf-shirt-wearing okes stand around a kitchen table drinking beer in the middle of the day. A seventh oke rocks up and is soon followed by a very feminine person of colour. The original six immediately get their rugby shorts in a twist. "Geen moffies. Geen kleurlinge," is the explanation. Best performance Deon Lotz, according to rumour, is receiving many international acting offers. He deserves every one of them. He plays a closeted family man living a double live and observing everyone and everything around him carefully. Yet he makes you care about him. He sets you up for what ultimately happens. Stand-out scene I cannot discuss the scene that impacted me the most. It is truly upsetting, but wonderfully portrayed by a monstrous, but pathetic, Deon Lotz and a vulnerable Charlie Keegan. You will recognise the scene. Negatives? One or two things were not explained clearly. Why Christian needed the money? What the envelope full of cash was for? Or did I miss the point? What makes the film relevant today? It deals with the possibly explosive consequences of suppressing who you really are - whether you are gay, straight or simply stuck in a job you hate. It could all make you go "postal". FYI Skoonheid won the 2011 Queer Palmes award and was the first Afrikaans film selected to be shown at Cannes. It was also awarded the Best South African Feature Film as well as The Jury Special Mention Prize at the 2011 Durban International Film Festival.

• Mar 12, 2016

Everything that is well delivered in this movie,is so because of the amazing performance of Lotz.Lotz's acting is the body and soul of this entire film,which is too artsy and too long for my preferences.

• Jun 10, 2015

Brutal and devastating. A quiet study in sexual repression and, at the same time, a sharp insight into white, post-apartheid Johannesburg.

• Jul 08, 2013

Nothing beautiful about the story. It is pure ugliness caused by deeply suppressed desire and obsession.

• Jun 28, 2013

Crudo y contemplativo relato sobre un supuesto homofobico que vive una doble vida y se obsesiona con el hijo de su mejor amigo. Con buenas actuaciones y momentos intensos, sobre todo al final con la "explosion de emociones" entre los personajes principales. Tiene un final demasiado ambiguo para su propio bien, aun asi vale la pena por el tratamiento sutil de los personajes y el uso discreto de la desnudez. (Texto intencionalmente sin acentos).

• Jun 25, 2013

Skoonheid is a slow-burn drama that portrays a dark and disturbing side to obsession and anger.

• May 23, 2013

Ugly. This is even less enjoyable to watch than I thought it would be.

Ugly. This is even less enjoyable to watch than I thought it would be.

• May 18, 2013