Sleight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleight Reviews

½ August 13, 2017
I ignored all the reviews and I'm glad I did. Nice slow paced simple movie. A great watch.
½ August 13, 2017
Sleight has a low budget mix of Chronicle meets IronMan all while in the hood kind of vibe. Sleight has a killer idea and a great setup but when it comes time for the big reveal, the movie loses its magic. The acting is actually better than most critics are giving it credit for. Dule Hill plays a charismatic yet psychopathic drug dealer. His role is solely responsible for the films level of tension. Jacob Latimore as Bo brings a level of realness and innocence that is appreciated. Seychelles Gabriel as Bo's girlfriend, Holly, brings a sincere performance, even if her role is entirely not needed and her relationship with our main character is rushed and questionable at best. The story has many holes but it does a great job at keeping the plot moving and keeping you interested. The first half of the movie is like a great magic trick. It keeps you intrigued and thinking "how is he doing it and what's going to happen" and you can't wait for the big reveal. However, the final act seems rushed. Even with Sleight's short runtime, the director could have added in so many scenes using the main character's "powers" that an average kid would have done if he had those powers. However, for a movie based on magic, I do appreciate that the director tried to give the story a sense of realness. Still, there's too many questions left unanswered and the plot avoids numerous events and storylines that could have made Bo's situation easier. For instance, the arcade scene is a totally useless scene and could have been a great setup. Holly even asks at one point, "what are we even doing here?" That could have been used as a setup for ways Bo could have used his powers to gain money, ie a casino, gambling ect. Pardon the pun, but I can't help but feel slighted given how much better the movie could have been. Overall, Sleight's unique story, strong directing and above adequate acting still makes this a movie I'd recommend. There's so many strong themes here like family, love, making mistakes and not letting anything wall you in. Even though the movie could've had more tricks up its sleeve, like with any good magic trick, it left me thinking "man that was a cool idea and I can't wait to see what's next"
August 12, 2017
Worth a watch for star Jacob Latimore and wonderful cast. Creative story
½ August 11, 2017
I wanted to give it a 3 but meehhh. The gang drug dealers were like out of a nikelodeon movie, super predictable, a few kind of cool parts but never lives up to the potential. Completely forgettable and all the characters were bleh
½ August 9, 2017
"Sleight" is a by the numbers film with some good performances, even if it brings nothing new to the genre.

A young street magician (Jacob Latimore) is left to care for his little sister after their parents' passing and turns to illegal activities to keep a roof over their heads. When he gets in too deep, his sister is kidnapped and he is forced to use his magic and brilliant mind to save her.

When the year began, "Sleight" initially made my list for most anticipated movies of the year (granted, it was at the bottom). In all reality, I wasn't super excited for this film or anything, so I wasn't expecting much when I saw it. In return, it was a decent film. It's a superhero origin story in reality and it's fairly entertaining. Although it really does nothing unique or special, I still felt it was executed decently. I thought it was a fun time, even if it's not the best movie ever made.

Jacob Latimore and Seychelle Gabriel are both solid lead actors. I think they both were solid as the leads and they each filled the requirements of their role. Latimore is a likable and relatable individual. His character is caring, and I feel like a lot of people could relate to is situation. Gabriel is also good in her role, even if her character didn't get much development.

I think the story is interesting enough. Like I said, it's a pretty by the numbers film. Nothing here will surprise you or hit you without notice, but it doesn't mean it's not entertaining. I think you can watch this film and be content with what you're watching. I think it's a well written and cohesive story, even if some things really don't make sense. For example, the relationship between the two leads grows exponentially fast. I was also puzzled by how his sister wasn't taken away by child services, especially considering how young he is. I also don't really comprehend what he did to himself. But all in all, it's still a fun movie.

In the end, "Sleight" is a decent flick, and I think it wouldn't be a bad watch. You're not missing much if you don't watch this film, but I would watch it again.
½ August 8, 2017
Sleight is one of the fresh Sci-Fi idea I wanted, but yet when I got what I wanted I was kinda disappointed in the final product. The film mostly focuses on Bo's struggles through the life of a drug dealer, but the more interesting plot of him putting an electromagnetic machine in his arm and controlling metal objects is pushed aside. It's a shame because you get the generic drug plot. The characters aren't interesting because you're given the generic drug boss, the cute sister, the worried nosey neighbor, and the pushed in love interest. Even Bo is a little dull because they never really properly explain his passion for illusions so it's hard to believe that he would go through putting something dangerous in his limbs. I wish they dedicated more time to the characters and focused more on this unique idea. The story is still passable, the cast did their job well, and you do get enough time to see his ability in action which is very entertaining. Sleight missed out on an opportunity to be something great, but executed on a mediocre level.
5.5/10
½ August 7, 2017
good flick, different and refreshing, hoping for a sequel.
August 6, 2017
Sleight takes a new albeit subtle twist to the peudo super hero genre. Slow paced with some simple and direct plot, the movie manages to engage you while events turn. The best thing about sleight aren't it's characters and storytelling but it's richly satisfying ending. A real gem and I wish it had a more eye catching title . However deliberate it's producers felt. A satisfying 4/5
½ August 4, 2017
Dont be fooled by the tomato meter.. this movie was awful
August 4, 2017
Super original and cinematic
August 3, 2017
Trailer made you think movie was better it sucked
August 2, 2017
'Sleight' has a few entertaining values yet stumbles due to an unconvincing plot and character arc.
August 1, 2017
Sleight is well acted and quite interesting in its premise, but underutilized and familiar in its execution with uninspired drama elements, dull and forgettable characters and too many typical scenes. A disappointing indie flick.
July 31, 2017
Entertaining but not great. I've seen much worse.
July 28, 2017
Good movie, I liked it! Very entertaining!
½ July 27, 2017
I liked sleight, it was a pretty good movie.
July 25, 2017
Almost everything that happens in Sleight made me think "Oh, this is just like where this happens in that other, better, movie". But the fact that it's original IP overall is refreshing, and just because someone else did it better, doesn't mean Sleight doesn't do it very well.
½ July 23, 2017
Interesting concept! Original.
July 22, 2017
Una muy interesante y original historia de ciencia ficción moderada. Muy recomendable y buenas actuaciones
July 22, 2017
Malgré que le film peut s'avérer frustrant par moment , Sleight s'avère un film très bien écris , et surtout , porter par la très bonne performance de Jacob Latimore