Soldiers of Fortune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soldiers of Fortune Reviews

October 14, 2017
Entertained me for an hour and a half... I had nothing better to do... Some great actors severely under used. The direction was weak at best but all in all I didn't turn it off.
½ November 3, 2015
Oh wow....terrible writing and directing....a waste of a great cast.
August 19, 2015
Captain Craig McKenzie, a former US special forces soldier, is hired to protect a group of millionaires who want to experience firsthand the kicks and thrills of war. However, the mission goes horribly wrong, and the men get a lot more than they bargained for.
½ May 19, 2015
The script and story follow some tried and trusted conventions and it's a very weak effort because of it. The ageing cast list is fairly impressive and it feels like a clone of The Expendables, although with actors who were past over for that series.
½ March 12, 2015
Low budget juke with a decent cast of actors.
August 29, 2014
Oh come along, it's not That bad, yes it's formuleic and brilliant actors phone in their cheezy one liners but it's a fun little ensemble action movie.
April 17, 2014
I could not watch this movie although I did try. Ive been a service member for 5 years now and nothing bothers me more than to see a uniform worn incorrectly, and oh my god this guys look like a bag of smashed assholes. they must not have had any military adviser what so over.
April 6, 2014
A lackluster action film filled with cliche and implausibility. As much fun as it is to watch Slater do his ironic-cool-kid-attitude, it's too bad this wasn't a better vehicle for him and the rest of the great cast who, justifiably, appear to be calling it in.
February 15, 2014
Action packed and really funny
January 19, 2014
Multiple Trek alums and Dominic Monaghan complaining about being stuck on an island!
½ January 18, 2014
This stars are for the start, later on I was asleep.:)
January 13, 2014
I liked it. I liked the cast and the action was fun. I liked the tint of humor thrown in there. I enjoyed it.
January 5, 2014
The actors in this movie have all been in big box office successes' so
whatever possessed them to think this one would be a good career move?
I fortunately watched this on a PVR set and was able to fast forward
every time I felt vomit in my mouth. It is advertised as an adventure
comedy, you need to take this description with a pinch of salt, which
incidentally will help with the bad taste it will leave you with after
viewing. It was a thoroughly poor and disappointing movie, bad action
sequences, awful acting and terrible special effects. The movie budget
is quoted at around $8 million and it made $1,572,040 at the box
office...my question is how come it made so much?
½ November 21, 2013
Thursday, November 21, 2013

(2012) Soldiers Of Fortune
ACTION ADVENTURE/ COMEDY

It plays like a low budget movie with an interesting first half but terrible second half has Christian Slater as Craig, a respectable captain of his unit where he's being acknowledged for having a perfect record for the safety return of soldiers working under him. Then he gets court martialed for saving one of them after he was ordered to abort a current mission after colliding with corrupt undercover CIA operative Mason (Colm Meaney). Unemployed, both Craig and Reed (Freddy Rodríguez) the soldier he saved then agree to work for this European woman Cecelia as well as her brother as "Soldiers of Fortune" to retrieve a particular area where it was being exploited by some dictator's for the purpose of some resources where it's being intended to fund a terrorize organization. And coincidently corrupt CIA operative Reed also works alongside with him too.

The exact job description is that Craig is supposed to safe guard this particular coup of sponsors who're a small group of millionaires seeking for a piece of the action or so all of them had thought. These millionaires also include Dimidov(Sean Bean), arms dealer Grimaud played by Ving Rhames, and Sin played by Dominic Monaghan as video game designer. And it was during their training exercises which the movie plays for laughs. viewers should be able to notice how the story shifts from serious to light to comedy then back to serious again and it does this in a contained manner that looked like it was intentioned as strictly a low budget movie. Cast is great but the movie not so much.

2 out of 4 stars
November 20, 2013
Pretty terrible movie and looked fairly poorly produced...
October 19, 2013
This is clearly this generations... You know what there is no movie like this (except for the expendables). A monumental accident of this proportion is a flag of shame for the makers of this. If only it wasn't so god damn fun doing it.
½ September 28, 2013
This is one ludicrously silly movie and not really in a good way. The basic story is rather silly to start with. A bunch of rich people with zero combat experience and huge egos gets themselves inserted into a combat situation for thrills. The "company" providing the service is actually a bunch of rebels trying to fund their operations. As I said rather silly. As an action comedy it could have worked though.

Unfortunately the implementation is equally ridiculous. It is obvious that the director is as null on actual military operations as the rich thrill-seekers in the movie. Already the first action sequences were the, supposedly skilled captain McCenzie is introduced, are downright laughable with the captain running around like a monkey shooting people left right and center.

The film, unfortunately, continues very much in this style. There is not a shred of realism or meaningful story in the entire movie. There are some fun or otherwise enjoyable scenes which saved my movie evening and saved this movie from getting a zero-star rating but that is just barely. One of the reasons I decided to watch this movie was due to actors like Sean Bean and sure enough, they perform as well as can be expected with the rather louse material that they are given to work with.

Not a movie that I would recommend to anyone.
½ September 13, 2013
Horrible. Hardly worth the time to type this in.
September 6, 2013
I wont even give this movie a half of star for the good cover on the DVD case, even if compared to "The Losers" (One of the worse movies i have seen) this one its still worse...
½ July 31, 2013