Soul Man Reviews

• Nov 21, 2019

The opposite of woke...

The opposite of woke...

• Oct 14, 2019

Under-rated humorous comment on racism and under-rated entertainment. It's not even far fetched - read the very real life experiment of John Howard Griffin in the book "Black Like Me". Excellent film and a crime it's message isn't out of date all these years later. Brilliant cast too. Well done Soul Men and Women that brought this to the world.

• Sep 21, 2019

The most important move that was and will, be ever made. God himself directing a movie that was written by jesus and staring Mohammad and Tom Cruise battling it out on the moon for supremacy off all mankinds soul, a epic 3 hour battle between pure good (scientology) and pure evil (islam) would be destroyed at the box office if it dropped on the same day as Soul Man. I laughed, cried, learned, loved, and had my heart broken at the racism the leading man endured before he was forced to turn to drugs just to get into college. What else can i say? THIS IS A MASTERPIECE! THIS IS LEGEND ~fin~

• Dec 16, 2018

I personally thought its a great film. As Rae Dawn Chong stated "itï¿ 1/2 1/2(TM)s really making white people look stupid.", which is completely true. The performances of all actors are spot on and a funny script. Classic 80s film.

• Oct 26, 2018

I thought it was hilarious

I thought it was hilarious

• Jul 13, 2018

It's weird, I used to like this movie in the 80's & 90's. Back then it seemed like a movie promoting integration & hating Racism. It seemed like it was a reasonably good comedy about how Racism is bad, but I just watched it again after a long period of not seeing it, & now it seems actually a little bit racist. It Now I am older, less innocent, & more well read, I have started noticing a few things in the movie that make one feel uncomfortable. There seems to be definite read between the lines undertones of actual racism & pretending to not be racist. I have always loved the song SOUL MAN by Sam & Dave. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this. I would have thought there would have been public outcry and anger if they had heard what i have heard on this movie, when it first was shown at the cinemas. During the Basketball scene, they play Sam & Daves - SOUL MAN song, & at the end of the song, I am sure I can hear a dubbed bit of the song with someone else saying the line "...and be your MONKEY boyfriend" - the actual songline should be "...and be your only boyfriend"... Which has left me wondering.. is it just my video copy that has this dubbed line? Was it on all versions of the Soul Man movie? Did people hear this when the movie came out and complain about it? Am I the only person who has noticed it? Who put this line in the song? And why? Because to me, that is the most racist part about this movie, & I only noticed it yesterday. How was the movie allowed to be released with this line in it? I wonder if James Earl Jones knows about it? I wonder why he was in a movie that was supposedly against racism, but has actual real racist undertones to it. I no longer like this movie, even if I liked it when I was younger...

• Mar 03, 2017

C. Thomas Howell gets into Harvard law school, but his dad (James B. Sikking) declines the offer to pay his tuition. Unable to find any means to pay it, he stumbles upon an unclaimed scholarship for black students who have been accepted to Harvard from Los Angeles. Naturally he pretends to be black and gets the scholarship. Clearly not a film that would get made these days, even though it's perspective on race relations is pretty progressive. Howell learns things and they're all pretty straightforwardly right, and all the racial humour in the film is at the expense of racists. It's not a particularly well-written film with plot lines dropping and reappearing as conveniently required, but Howell is an okay lead, and some of the supporting cast, including James Earl Jones, Rae Dawn Chong, Jeff Altman, Julia Louis-Drefus and Leslie Nielsen, are quite good. A solid B-.

• Aug 04, 2016

One of the most racist movies I have ever seen!

One of the most racist movies I have ever seen!

• Jun 11, 2016

College student poses as a black man to get special scholarship at Harvard even though Harvard doesn't give scholarship opportunities. The premise is funny but the movie is not.

Tarin P Super Reviewer
    Mar 23, 2016

Some of the scenes in the film where funny and overall the film wasn't boring or unwatchable. Taking pills that make your skin darker so that you can qualify for a university isn't terrible, but acting like a total jerk to other people once you're black is and it's also a little bit racist. Although I don't think it was intentional, it was still racist. The poster says " A comedy with a heart and soul. "...really?