Spud - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spud Reviews

½ August 23, 2016
Mildly amusing boarding school drama, the fact it is set in South Africa in changing times gives it some relevance over others in this genre.
December 30, 2015
This movie trilogy are my all time favorite movies. I was so proud of my little nugget (Troye) for doing such a good job. Loved the movie.
December 16, 2015
Amazing movie also Troye Sivan is life
½ July 12, 2015
Spud is one smart and family friendly movie, really due to great childhood aspects. You really feel the memories of your childhood coming to you. Not to mention the clever, unique and funny cinematography and editing. Spud is a great movie with a wonderful story and great characters and beloved actors! Not to mention the incredibly cute and awesome actor called Troye Sivan!

7.5/10
June 7, 2015
I really like these kind of movies where the main character is a weird kid who doesn't fit in at all and tries to find his place in society, but this movie is that and a lot more! The first half is very funny and most of the characters are likeable, though not very well characterised, just as Spud's crush/girlfriend. The characters are clicheish, but it serves the purpose! There are some truly hilarious and awkward moments, and then the second half comes. Which is quite the tone shifter! The death of one of the kids is very sad and comes as a suprise. The acting is very well, though I wasn't very convinced with the acting of Spud's girlfriend, Debbie. But, she's cute and likeable, so it wasn't that much of a problem. John Cleese is in here, as well! He does a great job portraying a very cool teacher, and delivers quite a few laughs. All in all, a truly touching movie with a coming-of-age story, but still manages to make you laugh and appreciate life! Would recommend!
May 28, 2015
Reasonably good coming of age film.
March 27, 2015
As funny as Diary of A Wimpy Kid, but one thing that makes this film better, wider-range exploration of the Spud's life.
February 7, 2015
Spud shows us that Troye Sivan's talent us truly endless. His performance in this film is professional and captivating, and I instantly took a liking to his character. The plot avoided all the cliches most boarding school films are a testament to, instead opting for a relatable, quirky film. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this film
January 11, 2015
Wow.. Great job Troye! The book is better but this movie is good as well. I love the soundtrack btw..
½ January 3, 2015
Spud's narrative tries too hard to be fancy to the point of sometimes looking like a try-hard, but despite that and the corn factor, the movie is so relateable and well performed that it's worth a watch.
November 2, 2014
A hugely entertaining coming-of-age tale, grounded in realism. Sivan's note-perfect portrayal of the diminutive hero is matched by a razor-sharp Cleese
November 2, 2014
A beautiful film that will let you forget for a while about the harsh world we live in now.
September 26, 2014
How do you get to see it?
September 2, 2014
This movie. instantly funny; and a classic. shows a 15 year old boy named John Milton aka Spud (portrayed by Troye Sivan) embarking on his first year at boarding school in South Africa. Almost every aspect of the movie seemed perfect and it sent a mix emotions; happy and sad. This film in particular I was impressed with because it kept quite strongly to the novel, which some films find struggle in doing. What also made this movie strong was the acting from both Troye and John. Troye brought the type of inoccence to the roll, the description did in the book, and John gave a razor sharp performance. To sum up in four words; Spud, Troye, John, Bravo.
February 19, 2014
Clever, charming coming-of-age comedy set in an elite South African boys school in the early 1990s. Fortunately, it doesn't focus too much on the politics of the time. John Cleese is fantastic, as always.
June 13, 2013
I really liked the book and the movie wasn't half bad, but it seemed like it kept trying to be funny in places that weren't, thus making the parts that were supposed to be sad and emotional just kind of blah.
February 9, 2013
Superb. Wickedly funny, unexpectedly poignant, and a bloody enjoyable movie, greatly aided by a tremendous performance by Troye Sivan, and the ever sublime John Cleese.
January 20, 2013
Spud is a total stud. John Cleese was great as the English teacher.
December 23, 2012
I wanted to read the book before I saw this movie, so missed it at the cinema. Apart from John Cleese, the cast is unknown out of South Africa (where it's set and made). Spud is the story of the experience of a 15 year old boy who wins a scholarship to an exclusive all boys school. Just like the book, the movie was funny, emotional, sad and insightful. The cast were superb and the cinematography quite splendid. My wife, who hadn't read the book, enjoyed it as much as I did. Recommended!
September 12, 2012
What a lovely coming of age stor. And John Cleese is a joy to watch in any role. However, there were a few things that felt 'thrown in' just for the hell of it, like people dying, couples breaking up etc. etc. I felt bombarded by messages. I'm sure any 8th grade class could come up with 30 different morals they can learn from this movie. Overall a joyful experience. I just wish it was all tied in somehow with a point besides that life goes on when stuff happens.