Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Reviews

July 23, 2016
While failing to surpass Star Trek: The Motion Picture, this second entry is a worthwhile experience, even if after multiple viewings the film gets a little weak and boring.
July 22, 2016
39%
Another boring entry in a lesser franchise.

V: 78%
July 22, 2016
***
It's probably the best movie starring the original cast, that has a good villain and an ending that's iconic for a reason. However, the movies not perfect, and it's still not up there with any of the recently rebooted Star Trek films.
July 19, 2016
Arguably the best feature length offering that the Star Trek franchise has offered (including the alternative timeline reboots). The return of a popular villain, but with enough substance to make non-Trek fans understand the power of the Kirk-Khan conflict.
July 15, 2016
Slightly a little outdated now it's still a great classic.
July 2, 2016
By far the best transition of classic Star Trek to the big screen, Star Trek II features great performances from the impeccable cast. William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelley shine once again as their respective characters as their trail by combat with Ricardo Montalban's menacing Khan becomes its main focus. The tension continues to increase within every character and plot point as the film pits the two sides together. Not to mention much of its respect to the sci-fi elements that the original series, while also bridging it with the action, suspense, and mythology that comes with the Star Trek phenomena.
June 29, 2016
For the fans, 5-out-of-5 stars, this thinly-disguised submarine-captain film touches on being god-like and its consequences.
June 22, 2016
Arguably the high point for the original cast's film franchise. Shatner shows true vulnerability as Kirk in this film and Ricardo Montalban cements his place as one of the best portrayed villains in film as Khan. The result of the film is not seen coming and you wonder how the crew will bounce back in the inevitable next film.
June 21, 2016
Phenomenal use of characters that makes these old folks seem relevant. Easily one of the best science fiction films ever!
June 5, 2016
The Wrath of Khan is the second film in the original Star trek film series. This movie had a lot to live up to after the disappointing first motion picture and it doesn't disappoint. This film is regarded as one of if not the best Star Trek movie in the entire series and I can see why. The story is very well written and directed. The cast is fantastic and deliver very strong performances as well as has a fantastic villain in Khan. A strong story as well as great tension make this movie a must see if you're getting into watching these movies.
½ June 5, 2016
More immediate and polished than it's predecessor, the second cinematic outing for the crew of the Enterprise trades the epic scale and slow-burning mystery of the first film for an intensely personal story focused around a battle of wits with Star Trek's most famous villain; the climatic battle against him in the style of submarine warfare is especially thrilling. Some potentially interesting supporting characters are sadly underdeveloped and while Montalban is compelling he is rather pantomime, but the film's true pivot is around the central relationship between Kirk and Spock, and in this respect it is their finest hour and their most moving voyage.
May 21, 2016
Khan is KRAZY!!! This movie is NOT really fun. It is like a FACES OF DEATH in outer space. Everything in this movie pops. The narrative, acting, special effects. The formula is JUST RIGHT. And it is SCARRY as HELL.
April 5, 2016
"I don't believe in no-win scenarios"-Jim Kirk. A wonderful entry in the Star Trek franchise. Star Trek is like no Sci-Fi out there. Unlike Star Wars, attempting to create the perfect fantasy tale about an alternate reality, Star Trek gives us fiction's glimpse of what could be. Love this film.
March 6, 2016
Trying not to soon on the flight
February 28, 2016
It is a picture made to entertain on a skin deep level and succeeds.
½ February 21, 2016
Much better than the first movie. Fast paced and entertaining. Khan was one of my favorite villains from the original series. I just wished they made him a little more intimidating like on the show.
February 13, 2016
The best Star Trek movie ever made.
February 10, 2016
one of the best star trek flims ever
February 9, 2016
Sequels are supposed to take what was great about the first outing and expand on it while also improving upon the mishaps as well. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is better than the first film in almost every aspect. I took issue with the pacing, overuse of special effects, length, and the lack of a present villain in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. This film wipes away silly and unnecessary special effects and gives us an intriguing story with characters who we understand and care about. It's also a solid 30 minutes shorter without cutting out anything that would hurt the story. I was thoroughly impressed by this sequel even 30 years after its release.

We open the film as the enterprise seemingly has a new captain in Kirstie Alley's Saavik, only to find out its a training exercise put together by Spock and Admiral Kirk. I was worried they may rehash the same story line as the first film as Kirk seemed to hint that he may be done with the Enterprise, only to run into an old foe in Khan. Even though I have seen bits and pieces of the original series and had been somewhat familiar with Khan as a villain, I didn't know to the extent to which him and Kirk were linked. I was glad to see viewing of his appearance in the TV series wasn't entirely necessary as they explained enough in the 103 minute run-time.

Khan has become somewhat of a pop culture icon over the years, so I had my fair share of expectations going in. Ricardo Montalban's performance and the writing didn't let me down. So much so that you understand where Khan is coming from when he wants Project Genesis from the crew and wants revenge for what Kirk did. In many ways, he was Kirk's arch nemesis and proved to come through with a lot of what he swore to do to Kirk. My only gripe with him as a villain was that I feel like we were missing an in person interaction with Kirk himself. Speaking through a video screen inside the Enterprise isn't enough, you need that human interaction.

With that said, The Wrath of Khan has the emotional layers and character depths that the first film was lacking. All of the original dynamics of the ship are there, plus some new and enjoyable ones as well. Plus, it doesn't take 45 minutes for things to get going, the pacing is much improved. James Horner's haunting score also sets the tone immediately from the opening scene, all the way through the bittersweet ending. Overall, everything feels bigger and better with The Wrath of Khan. Having seen the new Trek films, I think this can rank up there with them as some of the best outings the Enterprise crew has ever had.

+Fantastic score

+Emotionally layered

+Special effects & pacing much improved

+Very good villain