Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Reviews

July 25, 2017
One of my favorite movies. Nothing else to say.
July 2, 2017
The Wrath of Khan improves big over the first movie with a stronger plot, more tension (even with the stakes not as high as the first), better characters, better acting, and an emotional climax. This is the Empire Strikes Back for the original Star Trek movies.
June 30, 2017
Still the best Trek. Makes me tear up every time. And what a score by JAMES Horner! A sequel to the episode Space Seed, it featured the return of one of Star Trek's most celebrated villains. Khan Noonian Singh is so over the top fun in the best way, it's criminal the academy doesn't recognize these performances. Ricardo Montalbon delivers with everything he had and we are forever rewarded for it.
½ June 26, 2017
This was a major improvement over the first movie. The story was really good and Ricardo Montalban is great as Khan.

8.9/10
June 23, 2017
The very best of the Star Trek genre
June 18, 2017
My number one favorite movie of all time,
May 21, 2017
flipping good film. one of the best star trek films
April 18, 2017
good for 55 minutes than turned ludicrous. I am glad spock put those gloves on when he went to defuse genesis to bad he wasn't bright enough to cover his face
½ April 4, 2017
While I never saw Wrath of Khan I was aware of a number of key plot points because of my time in geek culture. So, how is it possible (knowing it was coming and even seeing the moment out of context before) that I was crying at the end of this film? I have to chalk it up to strong characters, and good story structure. There was enough build and excitement that I basically forgot more drama was coming. Ending the film in that way was a bold choice and I am impressed that they didn't cheapen it in the same way Into Darkness did when it emulated the same climax.

My only complaint about Wrath of Khan comes in the slow build of the first act. There seemed to be a lot of references to how long it had been since they were on the Enterprise and how old they were getting. It was a bit of nostalgic reflection that might suit fans, particularly at that time, but felt a little drawn out to me. I know the trope of the over-the-hill guys pulling together for one last hurrah, but knowing they would do this several more times in the movies kind of weakened that scene for me.

Otherwise, once Moby Dick in Space gets going, I was hooked. Most of the space battles and action sequences are actually fairly brief, yet I was tense through every single one. I loved the interactions between Kirk and Khan, as they kept trying to outdo one another, and pushed one another's buttons. The sequence where the Enterprise crew hacks the shields was so well done I was clenching the arms of my chair in anticipation.

I have to say, considering everyone in the world seems to think Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek film, I kind of expected to find it disappointing and unable to live up to the hype. Yet this truly is one of the greatest Star Trek films of all time. I haven't had a franchise movie impact me on such a visceral and emotional level in a long time. This one accomplished that and then some. It's a movie I was thinking about for hours afterwards, and will probably seek to add to my collection.
March 18, 2017
In the year 2285, the USS Reliant is on a mission to search for a lifeless planet for testing of the Genesis Device, a technology designed to reorganize matter to create habitable worlds for colonization. Reliant officers Commander Pavel Chekov (Walter Koenig) and Captain Clark Terrell beam down to the surface of a possible candidate planet, which they believe to be Ceti Alpha VI; once there, they are captured by genetically engineered tyrant Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalban). 15 years prior, the Enterprise discovered Khan's ship adrift in space; Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) exiled Khan and his fellow supermen to Ceti Alpha V after they attempted to take over the Enterprise. After they were marooned, Ceti Alpha VI exploded, shifting the orbit of Ceti Alpha V and destroying its ecosystem. Khan blames Kirk for the death of his wife and plans revenge. He implants Chekov and Terrell with indigenous creatures that enter the ears of their victims and render them susceptible to mind control, and uses the officers to capture the Reliant. Learning of Genesis, Khan attacks space station Regula I where the device is being developed by Kirk's former lover, Dr. Carol Marcus, and their son, David. Next up is the utter destruction of Kirk...

After the lukewarm reaction to the first film, fan response to The Wrath of Khan was highly positive. The Wrath of Khan was released in North America on June 4, 1982. It was a box office success, earning US$97 million worldwide and setting a world record for first-day box office gross. The film's success was credited with renewing interest in the franchise. Mark Bernardin of Entertainment Weekly went further, calling The Wrath of Khan "the film that, by most accounts, saved Star Trek as we know it"; it is now considered one of the best films in the series. The film's pacing was praised by reviewers in The New York Times and The Washington Post as being much swifter than its predecessor and closer to that of the television series. Janet Maslin of The New York Times credited the film with a stronger story than The Motion Picture and stated the sequel was everything the first film should have been. Variety agreed that The Wrath of Khan was closer to the original spirit of Star Trek than its predecessor. Strong character interaction was cited as a strong feature of the film, as was Montalbán's portrayal of Khan. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times and Derek Adams of Time Out complained about what were seen as tepid battle sequences, and perceived melodrama. While Ebert and TV Guide felt that Spock's death was dramatic and well-handled, The Washington Post's Gary Arnold stated Spock's death "feels like an unnecessary twist, and the filmmakers are obviously well-prepared to fudge in case the public demands another sequel". Negative reviews of the film also focused on the acting, and Empire singled out the "dodgy coiffures" and "Santa Claus tunics" as elements of the film that had not aged well.

After the lackluster critical and commercial response to The Motion Picture, series creator Gene Roddenberry was forced out of the sequel's production. Executive producer Harve Bennett wrote the film's original outline, which Jack B. Sowards developed into a full script. Director Nicholas Meyer completed the final script in 12 days, without accepting a writing credit. Meyer's approach evoked the swashbuckling atmosphere of the original series, and the theme was reinforced by James Horner's musical score. Nimoy had not intended to have a role in The Motion Picture's sequel, but was enticed back on the promise that his character would be given a dramatic death scene. Negative test audience reaction to Spock's death led to significant revisions of the ending over Meyer's objections. The production used various cost-cutting techniques to keep within budget, including utilizing miniatures from past projects and re-using sets, effects footage and costumes from the previous movie. Among the film's technical achievements is it being the first feature film to contain a complete sequence created entirely with computer-generated graphics.

I didn´t grow up with the Star Trek tv-show, however I had a Mr. Spock action figure from the tv-show as a kid and when "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" came out in 1979 that did catch my attention with more action figures. That film was a tedious and slow paced vehicle and not that intriguing as far as I remember. So I never saw "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" when it came out in 1982. The film is sort of a sequel to the episode "Space Seed" from the original series as Khan returns with a plan of vengeance against Captain Kirk and his crew. Yes, there´s somewhat a nostalgic feeling to it even if the film also carries a campiness like the tv-show did. The top moments are the battle of the mind between Kirk and Khan and Spock's sacrifice at the end. Moments that stands out. And it´s nice to see a young and beautiful Kirstie Alley as Vulcan Lieutenant Saavik. "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" is ok in my book, but not something that sticks to me like it does to a Trekkie.
½ March 7, 2017
Star Trek's thin veneer of sci-fi, on unapologetically Earthbound human stories, has never really done it for me, but at least this is one of the better ones.
½ February 20, 2017
Effects (Visual/Sound) - 8% - 6.5/8
Music - 7% - 7/7

Final - 90/100
½ February 1, 2017
This movie by far captures the idea of star trek film in the prime universe the best and has a wonderful story
½ January 25, 2017
By far the best of all the Star Trek movies, new or old.
January 18, 2017
Not only is this the best of the original Star Trek movies, this is a great science fiction movie in general. This had a great story and strong performances from the entire cast, especially Ricardo Montalban as Khan. Unlike a lot of recent Sci-Fi movies, this didn't lose sight of its script in favor of overblown special effects.
December 29, 2016
a more exciting sequel to a bad star trek movie it cared more about it's story more darker themes included plus stock's death and had a similar look to the original series
December 28, 2016
The best in the series. Unlike the other Star Trek villains, Khan is different because he's just a big asshole who's out for revenge and is obsessive over it like Captain Ahab (Moby Dick). All these other villains are mostly Khan wannabes (aside from Locutus, Borg Queen, and Krall).
December 23, 2016
An exceptional movie that offers everything that a Star Trek fan could ask and more: wonderful performances, engaging drama, tension, memorable dialogue, a fascinating villain bent on revenge and an incredibly well-constructed plot with an unforgettable ending.
November 19, 2016
Still the standard bearer for what a Trek film should be. We get a welcome return to a storyline based on one of the most beloved Trek episodes. Khan is still the best cinematic villain the crew has faced. In addition, this has a sense of fun and humanity to it that the previous installment lacked. While it's meaning and impact are undone in the next film, the major death at the end of this is still incredibly moving over 30 years later. This is a flawless film.
November 14, 2016
Best of the Star Trek movies. Great Story about revenge. Great Performance by Montalban as Khan