Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Reviews

March 18, 2017
In the year 2285, the USS Reliant is on a mission to search for a lifeless planet for testing of the Genesis Device, a technology designed to reorganize matter to create habitable worlds for colonization. Reliant officers Commander Pavel Chekov (Walter Koenig) and Captain Clark Terrell beam down to the surface of a possible candidate planet, which they believe to be Ceti Alpha VI; once there, they are captured by genetically engineered tyrant Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalban). 15 years prior, the Enterprise discovered Khan's ship adrift in space; Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) exiled Khan and his fellow supermen to Ceti Alpha V after they attempted to take over the Enterprise. After they were marooned, Ceti Alpha VI exploded, shifting the orbit of Ceti Alpha V and destroying its ecosystem. Khan blames Kirk for the death of his wife and plans revenge. He implants Chekov and Terrell with indigenous creatures that enter the ears of their victims and render them susceptible to mind control, and uses the officers to capture the Reliant. Learning of Genesis, Khan attacks space station Regula I where the device is being developed by Kirk's former lover, Dr. Carol Marcus, and their son, David. Next up is the utter destruction of Kirk...

After the lukewarm reaction to the first film, fan response to The Wrath of Khan was highly positive. The Wrath of Khan was released in North America on June 4, 1982. It was a box office success, earning US$97 million worldwide and setting a world record for first-day box office gross. The film's success was credited with renewing interest in the franchise. Mark Bernardin of Entertainment Weekly went further, calling The Wrath of Khan "the film that, by most accounts, saved Star Trek as we know it"; it is now considered one of the best films in the series. The film's pacing was praised by reviewers in The New York Times and The Washington Post as being much swifter than its predecessor and closer to that of the television series. Janet Maslin of The New York Times credited the film with a stronger story than The Motion Picture and stated the sequel was everything the first film should have been. Variety agreed that The Wrath of Khan was closer to the original spirit of Star Trek than its predecessor. Strong character interaction was cited as a strong feature of the film, as was Montalbn's portrayal of Khan. Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times and Derek Adams of Time Out complained about what were seen as tepid battle sequences, and perceived melodrama. While Ebert and TV Guide felt that Spock's death was dramatic and well-handled, The Washington Post's Gary Arnold stated Spock's death "feels like an unnecessary twist, and the filmmakers are obviously well-prepared to fudge in case the public demands another sequel". Negative reviews of the film also focused on the acting, and Empire singled out the "dodgy coiffures" and "Santa Claus tunics" as elements of the film that had not aged well.

After the lackluster critical and commercial response to The Motion Picture, series creator Gene Roddenberry was forced out of the sequel's production. Executive producer Harve Bennett wrote the film's original outline, which Jack B. Sowards developed into a full script. Director Nicholas Meyer completed the final script in 12 days, without accepting a writing credit. Meyer's approach evoked the swashbuckling atmosphere of the original series, and the theme was reinforced by James Horner's musical score. Nimoy had not intended to have a role in The Motion Picture's sequel, but was enticed back on the promise that his character would be given a dramatic death scene. Negative test audience reaction to Spock's death led to significant revisions of the ending over Meyer's objections. The production used various cost-cutting techniques to keep within budget, including utilizing miniatures from past projects and re-using sets, effects footage and costumes from the previous movie. Among the film's technical achievements is it being the first feature film to contain a complete sequence created entirely with computer-generated graphics.

I didnt grow up with the Star Trek tv-show, however I had a Mr. Spock action figure from the tv-show as a kid and when "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" came out in 1979 that did catch my attention with more action figures. That film was a tedious and slow paced vehicle and not that intriguing as far as I remember. So I never saw "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" when it came out in 1982. The film is sort of a sequel to the episode "Space Seed" from the original series as Khan returns with a plan of vengeance against Captain Kirk and his crew. Yes, theres somewhat a nostalgic feeling to it even if the film also carries a campiness like the tv-show did. The top moments are the battle of the mind between Kirk and Khan and Spock's sacrifice at the end. Moments that stands out. And its nice to see a young and beautiful Kirstie Alley as Vulcan Lieutenant Saavik. "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" is ok in my book, but not something that sticks to me like it does to a Trekkie.
½ March 7, 2017
Star Trek's thin veneer of sci-fi, on unapologetically Earthbound human stories, has never really done it for me, but at least this is one of the better ones.
½ February 20, 2017
Effects (Visual/Sound) - 8% - 6.5/8
Music - 7% - 7/7

Final - 90/100
½ February 1, 2017
This movie by far captures the idea of star trek film in the prime universe the best and has a wonderful story
½ January 25, 2017
By far the best of all the Star Trek movies, new or old.
January 18, 2017
Not only is this the best of the original Star Trek movies, this is a great science fiction movie in general. This had a great story and strong performances from the entire cast, especially Ricardo Montalban as Khan. Unlike a lot of recent Sci-Fi movies, this didn't lose sight of its script in favor of overblown special effects.
December 29, 2016
a more exciting sequel to a bad star trek movie it cared more about it's story more darker themes included plus stock's death and had a similar look to the original series
December 28, 2016
The best in the series. Unlike the other Star Trek villains, Khan is different because he's just a big asshole who's out for revenge and is obsessive over it like Captain Ahab (Moby Dick). All these other villains are mostly Khan wannabes (aside from Locutus, Borg Queen, and Krall).
December 23, 2016
An exceptional movie that offers everything that a Star Trek fan could ask and more: wonderful performances, engaging drama, tension, memorable dialogue, a fascinating villain bent on revenge and an incredibly well-constructed plot with an unforgettable ending.
November 19, 2016
Still the standard bearer for what a Trek film should be. We get a welcome return to a storyline based on one of the most beloved Trek episodes. Khan is still the best cinematic villain the crew has faced. In addition, this has a sense of fun and humanity to it that the previous installment lacked. While it's meaning and impact are undone in the next film, the major death at the end of this is still incredibly moving over 30 years later. This is a flawless film.
November 14, 2016
Best of the Star Trek movies. Great Story about revenge. Great Performance by Montalban as Khan
November 12, 2016
The Wrath of Khan improves big over the first movie with a stronger plot, more tension (even with the stakes not as high as the first), better characters, better acting, and an emotional climax. This is the Empire Strikes Back for the original Star Trek movies.
½ November 6, 2016
Khhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!!!!!!!
October 21, 2016
Easily the best Star Trek Movie of all time.
October 12, 2016
This film I grew up on at a very young age. James Horner's score of the Enterprise Clearing Mornings was my major introduction to Star Trek at all. I think it is a great Star Trek horror and actions space adventure with great morals.

Great Movie, great musical score by #James_Horner that helps drive the films action and get you emotionally invested into all the characters, Great Action, Great villain Khan portrayed by #Ricardo_Montalban, Great #Director by #Nicholas_Meyer, Great memorable quotes from Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities & everything. The only thing that I did not like was the creatures put in #Chekov's ear. #Kirstie_Alleys portrayal of the character of Saavik was Great in the Wrath of Khan. The other disappointment was that they were unable to bring Kirstie back for movies Star trek III & beginning of IV because she was better than who replaced her.

I think that Director and screenplay writer Nicholas Meyer deserves a lot of credit for this film making the screenplay work by picking what everyone liked and combining it all within a short period of time to create a great story. #NicholasMeyer making the Star Trek world appear believable with random life elements that do not necessarily add to the story but give realism. Nicholas Meyer making a great death scene, changing the uniform to be more militaristic, expanding more depth on the characters back story of #Kirk, #Scotty, Chekov, Khan than had been explored before and picking out James Honer as the composer to this film.

I love how this film begins with the simulator test called the #Kobayashi_Maru

I think that one reason Wrath of Khan works as effectively as it does is by the #fear factor it conveys by what you don't see directly but you get hints of. The music does a good job making the audience scared with anticipation before something happens. The music helps convey how threatening Khan is without actually doing anything but you are able to see what he is capable of doing through others, you see how he commandeered U.S.S. #Reliant, changing your focus to a rat and door and then McCoy bump into seeing bodies, or creatures.

James Horners score for Wrath of Khan is excellent. It is big and dramatic with military and crazy Khan motifs in between. It hits you at the heart when Spock and Kirk's relationship as well. It I can listen to the whole film score from beginning to end with the exception of the creature from Ceti Alpha V going into #Captain_Terrell and Chekov's ears to control them.

The film has great visual effects that are enjoyable to watch from the #phasers, bridge exploding, #Mutara_Nebula, CGI #Genesis effect, and space battles. I think that the visual effects and models still are able to stand up today unless you consider the shadows of the models but I can live with that. I also like how the bridge is lite up and looks in this film.

I think that if you look at the clearing mornings scene from the Motion Picture, Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, or Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country; by far the Wrath of Khan version is far superior. I think it has to do with the environment that is made with believable lines that are in the background that don't necessarily add to the story but provide life to the scene like the check list playing on the computer com that you can hear where as in Star Trek The Motion Picture a lot less is spoken on the com besides necessary dialog. That was one element that Nicolas Meyer helped to contribute to Wrath of Khan was creating that believable world. Even with the torpedo scene just before the Enterprise enters into the Mutara Nebula seemed so like like even though it does not necessarily add to the plot if gave life to the #Enterprise outside of the bridge of the Enterprise.

This film does a great job on the sound effects creating a believable world. Much more realistic dialog and went back to what Star Trek The Original Series was at it's top of it's game.

This film uses literature in a great way like Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities as well as a few other pieces. That provides legitimacy and credibility to the film.

This film helped develop characters like Chekov being a first officer and see another side never seen before. Be saw Scotty with a nephew which had never been explored before. We see Kirk's relationship with his son and former wife #Carol_Marcos explored. We see the crew of the enterprise go up against real life consequences like we have never seen as high as explored in this film with deaths and the Enterprise but in extremely risky situations never been face to as extreme as this film shows.

This film may be the strongest as a whole. I can listen to any part of the film and enjoy it.

This film was smart is showing Khan's strengths and weakness. He looked unbeatable being an augment and using military strategy. This film did a good job of not giving too much exposition to his character from the television show which I appreciated because Khan is almost a different character in his acting in this film compared to how he acts in the episode Space Seed. There is a greater sense of his strength as a leader just in his costume and how Khan pulls his figure. What works is that we never see Kirk and Khan face to face. They are always communicating over the view screen or the communicator. They are never physically in the room together.

I also liked how this film brings up the third dimension. It is something that does not get discussed much even when considering most space battles since on Earth we tend to think on a flat perspective.
October 11, 2016
Phenomenal use of characters that makes these old folks seem relevant. Easily one of the best science fiction films ever!
½ October 7, 2016
Still bored. But better than the first one.
October 4, 2016
The best Star Trek Film of all time
September 13, 2016
Es mucho más entretenida que la primera, el villano es mucho más interesante, los uniformes ya no parecen pijamas, aunque aún esperaba los uniformes reales, los personajes me parecen más interesantes, aunque no me llega a gustar como esperaba.
September 5, 2016
Great story! It's an iconic movie, but not the best directed or paced.