Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones Reviews

½ January 19, 2017
Star Wars: Attack of The Clones is an exciting and masterful movie- from its well played characters to its epic battle scenes. One of the best installments in the series!
January 14, 2017
1/14/17
A long time ago, in a living room far, far away...
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Review
There is unrest in the minds of Star Wars fans. The Phantom Menace just kept its head above water, worth sitting through at least once or every-now-and-then. The next chronological installment/second prequel does just that too, with less Jar-Jar (Ahmed Best). We open with the opening crawl (obviously) and then tilt up instead of down to Coruscant, where Naboo's Senator arrives, before an explosion takes her life. Wait, that was a decoy, and real Senator/Former Queen Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) reveals herself to be among the pilots (wow, those Nabooians are so cautious with their leaders, and maybe a little paranoid). What follows is a series of people talking in circles (which repeats itself throughout and brings space adventures and mysteries to a screeching halt), and then things heat up when Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) arrive to guard Senator Amidala after their only run-in with Jar-Jar, who's been reduced in role for this movie, but expanded in role for the larger Star Wars Universe. When a bounty hunter tries killing Padme, Obi-Wan and Anakin get into a high-octane speeder chase that ends with the beginning of a conspiracy being pulled apart throughout. Instead of just focusing on this conspiracy, we get Anakin doing more Padme guarding injected in, followed by their bad romance, which can be explained simply: they've been repressing their emotions in the decade between I and II for the good of the Jedi Order and their political system. Maybe it was the force keeping balance, but I'm gonna admit this love story gets cringe worthy, but whatever you feel about it, this is Lucas' vision. Sorry to say his vision also had a mix of great and horrendous CGI. The good news: Coruscant and Kamino were brilliant looking and the massive CGI battles (while lacking a human link to humanize it) didn't blow you away, even if it was a little too big. The bad news is that several green-screens are so obviously fake. The ones used for windows showing Coruscant's skyline worked well, but when you see Anakin riding his speeder down the Tatooine dunes or Dooku doing the same thing in the Geonosis dunes. The CGI characters aren't horrendous, just a little odd (this technology was in its infancy at the time) but well detailed. And they advance the plot in some form or another. All of this is set to John Williams' great soundtrack, that never fails to disappoint. His main theme music "Across the Stars" really captures the romantic tension George Lucas fails to sell if you don't think about how emotionally repressed the two are. Their dialogue isn't great, but the bad dialogue can actually have some good meaning: Anakin's "sand monologue," as I call it, is actually a reasonable thing for him to say, because he grew up on a desert planet, in the sand! Just like eskimos would have more words for snow than we do, he would have more knowledge and descriptiveness for sand. It feels redundant, but it's something he knows, and it's what he can use as a parallel to Padme in his twisted world of joining the Jedi Order too late. Overall, Attack of the Clones is not the attack on cinema people make it out to be, but I can understand why: mixed-result CGI and never-ending political debates bringing the pace to a screeching halt to the space adventure. I know this is just opinion, but I like (not love) Attack of the Clones for its coherent story, decent (but forgivably flawed) character development, everything there for the sake of telling how the war Anakin Skywalker would fight in and eventually lead to the Original Trilogy, a John Williams soundtrack that does its job in the movie and is worth listening to outside of it, and dialogue that makes sense to George Lucas and the Star Wars Universe, but not to most other people. Thanks, and may the force be with you.
9/21/13
Coming off the heels of The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones proves to be my least favorite Star Wars. While the CGI imagery improved, the story proves to drag on and on with things like flying through Coruscant being one of only few exciting scenes. Hayden Christianson takes on the role of an Anakin 10 years older than Jake Lloyd's. While girls and women may like his looks, no one will like his acting. And they say Natalie Portman sounded like a robot in The Phantom Menace. She was speaking in a royal tone to sound dignified, and allow Kiera Knightly as her royal body double to go unnoticed. This is unexcusable. This is why I prefer Matt Lanter's Clone Wars voice. Confident, bold, neither of these are present in Hayden Christianson. Ewan McGregor starts to look more like the Obi-Wan my parents knew before George Lucas and Steven Spielburg snapped. The plot may not be desirable to retro fans, but here's the thing: Jedi worked for Republic, they strayed from light, that's what this is about. Sorry it's so political, but we should just accept that's how the Jedi Order fell. Finally, the dialogue was pretty stale. Mostly. Some lines actually stuck in my mind. If I listed them, I'd spoil the movie. If you like chronological order like me, or enjoy a solid John Williams Soundtrack, or just like quality abuse of CGI, I'd reccomend this movie. But not if you hate abuse of CGI, if you hate dull actors (Sorry Hayden, but you should have used a little more emotion) or just wish to forget this one. Until next time, may the force be with JJ Abrams for Episode VII.
5/12/12
Star Wars Episode II may be the least popular Star Wars film of all six. True, there is not a single original piece of dialouge, but everything else makes up for it. For example, the characters were verly likeable. I personally am a big fan of CGI creatures, since they can do more than puppets/muppets, which is why I absolutly love seeing the CGI Yoda whip out his lightsaber, and fight Dooku with it. Also, there was excellent quality of the images, but there was a shot or two where greenscreens were obvious. Finally, I just love a John Williams score. Doesn't evrybody? Bottom line, Star Wars Episode II is the least popular movie in the saga, but it's Star Wars, so we can forgive a let down.
½ January 14, 2017
Attack of the Clones is deeply misguided and has far too many unintentional laughs to compensate for the things it does right. It will go down as the "black eye" in the saga
January 14, 2017
the main reason for this movie is for its visuals and a story that could have been a lot better
January 11, 2017
Nota: 5.9/10 - 2.9/5
January 7, 2017
Also another mediocre Star Wars movie and bad acting is the main cause of it. It is a "meh" movie.
January 3, 2017
Anakin and Padme are disappointing, underachieving characters. Also, a good amount of the overall chosen dialog is unnecessary. Other than those blemishes Attack of the Clones still lives up to epic Star Wars form with its action and beautiful scenery.
½ January 3, 2017
The biggest disappointment with Attack of the Clones is that, while it addresses many of the issues with The Phantom Menace, it doesn't address the core issue of underwritten characters. What's more, this is often an ugly film: it features a garish colour palette and an antiseptic digital sheen, both of which are problems that The Phantom Menace avoided. That said, Obi-Wan Kenobi's story is somewhat involving, and a scene on a rainy platform is a great action setpiece. With a plot structure clearly modelled on The Empire Strikes Back, Attack of the Clones' biggest achievement is in highlighting that film's strengths in comparison.
½ January 2, 2017
Contrary to popular belief, this is far inferior to The Phantom Menace. Don't get me wrong this is still better than most movies because, come on, it's Star Wars; but the romance between Anakin and Padame is boring and something I skip when ever I watch it. However, The ending is awesome and my favorite battle scene of any movie ever!
January 2, 2017
Lots of action, but little character development.
½ January 2, 2017
The scale of the enterprise is thrilling; it's too bad the movie is so muddled on so many different levels.
January 2, 2017
Has almost the exact same problems with "The Phantom Menace", but this time suffering from an incoherent plot and underdeveloped characters. Making this one a complete bore.
December 31, 2016
"My name is Anakin. My shitty acting is ruining saga."

A couple of fun action scenes cannot deter from Hayden Christensen's abysmally bad performance or George Lucas' overstuffed direction.
½ December 29, 2016
Objectively terrible but my heart doesn't care. Probably the best of the prequels.
jamrcla
December 29, 2016
Probably the weakest of the lot but it still gets a 4 star rating from me as 3 and half felt too low, It is easier to follow than the first and there is more action that's pretty good most of the time, It was nice to see more original cast, but it felt weird having the clone army on the good side but it was a good way to introduce them plus having Yoda finally used in the action was pretty good even if it was only for a short time, My main concerns was that just like the first there is too much CGI effects and they looked ok but not great and again it spoiled the feel of the movie and it just never really felt like a Star Wars movie in places but some good action scenes nearly make up for it, Maybe the worst Star Wars movie but it's still a very good movie.
Begun The Clone War Has
½ December 27, 2016
I liked this one better than episode 1, but it wasn't as easy to watch. This one is darker but has some fun action. Anakin is annoying but that isn't that bad. I'd recommend it.
½ December 27, 2016
Though awesome action is offered there is an abundant amount of underdevoled characters making it the worst Star Wars installment.
December 27, 2016
:l

Okay but the cloners are really great creature designs I remember being super inspired by them when i was little and tbh still see aspects of them show up in my artwork now.
½ December 24, 2016
I like this film a lot because of the clone war fight & The Jango Fett character was cool.

I was kind of disappointed when there was soo much love scenes in this film. Other than the love scenes though the action was great.

DE I would have liked to see more of the Sandpeople or also known as Tusken Raiders fight though in this film as well as just more on Tatooine. I felt like we were cheated on that moment showing how bad Anikan was and lead up to Darth Vader.I would have also liked a little more from Jar Jar Binks because his role in the film is so minimal that it should not been in the film A time all.

I like the begging relationship from C-3P0 & R2-D2 in this film I just wish that they would have shown that move in the new Trilogy more than they did like they did in the original trilogy.

I liked that we got to see Yoda fight in this film. It was Amazing light saber fights as never seen before.

I also loved the Battle of Geinois. It was probably my favorite part to the film because I felt like it was the closest connection to the Original trilogy of Star Wars.

My least favorite part to this film was Anikan and Padmé portions of the film because it through me out of Star Wars because it did not feel like a Star Wars film. I think that if touch excluded the Anikan and Padmé aspects to this film then I would have loved this film more. I loved the Obi-Wan/Jedi council story line.

I loved the opening car chase through Couresant but I hated the sound effects for the Vehicles in this film. They felt out of place in this film.

I loved the Jango fights because those helped explain the and give fans things we never saw from Boba Fett in the Original trilogy.