Stay Hungry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stay Hungry Reviews

½ April 22, 2016
This is the 2nd movie in my quest to watch all of Schwarzenegger's movies, and to be honest I think I liked Hercules in New York better than this. I am not even sure why Arnold is in this movie, his character doesn't make any sense. It almost seems that Arnold and a bodybuilding contest were added on to a movie script that already existed.
December 16, 2014
Unusual, interesting, disjointed. I read Ebert's review and I'll agree with the idea that it's all about unusual people in contact with one another. Yes, this is a great showcase for Schwarzenegger and it's also a rare glimpse at Sally Field's behind (which is also a nice showcase). Bridges is the weak point in this one, the central character to whom the growth is supposed to occur, but I never felt that 1. Blake was from the south 2. he ever really grew up. Great to see Spinel and Englund in non-horror film roles.
January 21, 2014
Absurd scenarios mostly work. Caution: violence against women.
½ December 23, 2013
"Stay Hungry and you'll taste life" I saw this in 1976 while I was a student in a graduate studies film class. Thought Arnold was hilarious and I've been a fan since. In conjunction with "Pumping Iron" I was blown away
and mighty impressed when I saw the study of ballet and body movement as part of his craft.
October 31, 2013
I own this on DVD in a seven movie pack along with:
* Conan The Barbarian (1981)
* Conan The Destroyer (1984)
* The Terminator (1984)
* Commando (1985)
* Predator (1987)
* True Lies (1994)
July 31, 2013
Stay Hungry was a film I heard about due to reading that Arnold Schwarzenegger won a Golden Globe for his role in the film, and predominantly I haven't seen him outside of action films and crappy comedies, so this was something I had to witness. And with Jeff Bridges and Sally Field in it I figured it was all a big win, so looking into it seemed like a good idea.
And frankly it was. It's pacing was unbalanced and it attempted to fit in a few to many themes for its own good without ever really clarifying the meaning behind the title, but Bob Rafelson gave a good treatment to the story which ensured that it became a film which strongly conveyed the sport of bodybuilding in a positive manner, as well as taking a look at the carefree side of a life of sport. His direction made it a strong film and a good look at dedication in gym life, as well as a complex romantic drama. And above all it had some moments of fun humour in it which was the fun part of the story. It was well scripted too, even as it chartered into a large amount of dynamics building up on each other.
But it's the cast that makes it work.
Craig Blake starts as a character living a carefree life and he develops through the story into one who channels it into a passion he develops for helping Joe Santo achieve his goal and gracing his affection unto Mary Tate Farnsworth. Jeff Bridges conveys the development well and is frankly just a very likeable lead.
Instantly when Sally Field graced the screen I felt like this was a woman I had never seen before. With significantly more tan skin than usual combined with an alternative haircut to her usual look and a purple leotard, it seemed like Sally Field was truly attempting to establish herself as a character actress early on. It would prove successful for her because although being typecast as The Flying Nun, she manages to channel her free spirit into a serious role which proves to be a good one for her assisted by a strong performance. She's just such a sweet and likeable character in Stay Hungry, and so she stands out in the cast.
Of course, Arnold Schwarzenneger is the man who made a breakthrough with Stay Hungry. Although his part was small, he manages to act through his thick Austrian accent for the first time on screen and proves to viewers that he's a talented actor who fits into the subject matter requiring his muscles very well.

So Stay Hungry is heavy handed on its many plot dynamics, but its well acted and well intentioned so it succeeds in being a good sports film.
June 8, 2013
...whereby Jeff Bridges plays a businessman who discovers the meaning of life from a philosophising Arnold Schwarzenegger.
½ February 4, 2013
Bob Rafelson n'a absolument rien a raconter mais le duo Jeff Bridges - Arnold Schwarzenegger se laisse regarder tant les acteurs sont excellents. Quant a Sally Field, elle est toujours aussi adorable. Certaines scenes sont exemplaires et le film est assez rythme pour eviter d'ennuyer le spectateur. Stay Hungry est une comedie typique des 70's.
November 22, 2012
Boring! Boring! Boring! Boring! Boring!
½ November 15, 2012
How could you not like a movie where a young Sally Field shows her cute bare ass......made the movie for me.
September 19, 2012
Watching it right now, some of the worst acting and use of storyline I've ever seen.
½ August 7, 2012
I have no idea what just happened.
January 17, 2012
Stay Hungry is and will always be a classic movie. The performance of Bridges really gave him his breakthrough as an acomplished actor. Arnold (schwarzenegger) also came trough as an actor to be reckoned with. All in all a very well constructed and well told story. Therefore the high ponits. Denfinitly a film worth watching.!
½ December 11, 2011
Rich-boy Craig Blake (Jeff Bridges) joins a syndicate to buy a whole district to rebuild it. He is supposed to buy out a gym, but soon befriends the people working there. "Stay Hungry" is a odd little movie, it starts of as a drama and ends in a comedy of complete silliness. Hardly interesting enough to be worth your time, but worth pointing out is that Arnold Schwarzenegger won a Golden Globe Award for "Best Acting Debut in a Motion Picture" for his role as the violin playing, superhero masked Mr. Universe Joe Santo.
December 10, 2011
This movie was disjointed with a plot that was weak. I have no idea (other than money) why Jeff Bridges and Sally Field would be involved in something like this?
½ November 11, 2011
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, it doesn't give away where its going, but perhaps that's because it doesn't really go anywhere. If nothing else, the film is worth checking out for it's cast, including Arnold Schwarzenegger's movie debut.
August 1, 2011
First Arnold movie before he became 'Arnold', the movie ok, nothing that special, funny to see Robert Englund (who everyone knows as Freddy Kruger) so young.
July 18, 2011
The best movie about bodybuilding...ever. You can't grow without the burn!