Straight to Hell Reviews

• Oct 01, 2019

Fun spaghetti western spoof with a killer soundtrack, what else is there to say, Alex Cox and Joe Strummer.

• Mar 28, 2015

Not as spaghetti Western as the trailer (and many critics) make it out to be, unless you count Jorodowsky's El Topo as spaghetti western. Also not very good, but I find myself coming back to it, like once a decade. I hear there's a remix or something made with out-takes. May have to take a look.

• May 13, 2014

Really low budget, really flat performances and really uninteresting. How can a movie with some luminary musicians (mostly past their prime.. but still!) be so tiresome? The plot seems mostly irrelevant and the characters randomly disjointed in looks and personalities. I really couldn't figure out the point. For a 2010 re-release the film looked like early 80's VHS and the image is gritty and distractingly low quality. Maybe there was nothing left to improve on but still I can't believe that was the best transfer possible.

• Jun 14, 2013

This film has two of the greatest music icons in the history of the world in it. I am talking about Joe Strummer (of the Clash and Mescaleros) and Shane MacGowan (of the Pogues and Popes). So in that regard, you have to give it a 10. However, if you are not a Clash or Pogues fan, you will most likely think this film sucks! Why? Because the film sucks. But wait a minute, you just said that you have to give it a 10? Right (voice in head), I did say that and I did give it a 10. Because Joe Strummer and Shane MacGowan are my two favorite musicians of all-time. So, they earn this thing a 10. Now, you raise a good question (voice in head), what if Strummer and MacGowan were not in this film? Well, I would probably give it a 1. Oh yeah, the story. Some people rob a bank and then go to hide out in this strange and isolated city in the Spanish countryside. There are violent and weird people that live there. So staying alive and holding on to the money will be difficult. Did I mention that this film has Joe Strummer and Shane MacGowan in it? Yeah, I gave it a 10, but, it really wasn't a good....you know what I am getting at?

• Mar 04, 2013

Courtney aside this is flawless guerrilla cinema, a perfect follow up to Repo Man

• Dec 31, 2012

A decently entertaining movie that's nowhere near as good as its defenders or as bad as its detractors claim it to be. There's fun to be had in the way seemingly minor events escalate so easily into senseless violence, and in the lazy pacing which makes the violence feel inconsequential and a respite from boredom (this sounds like a criticism, but it isn't - it drives the film's sense of humour). However, the aimlessness only goes so far and it's difficult to keep caring about what happens. The film features characters from seemingly different movies stumble into and playact a spaghetti western (a genre I know Cox is a fan of), and we even get some nice Leone-esque cinematography and Morricone-esque music, but Walker channeled Cox's influences into a much more interesting final product. I did like the performances from the principals, with Dick Rude (that's a great name, btw) being the most endearing, Joe Strummer the most charismatic, Sy Richardson the most intense, and Courtney Love the most amusingly shrill. Fun, but middling.

• Dec 19, 2012

This is really is complete and utter wank.

This is really is complete and utter wank.

• Aug 03, 2012

This film killed Cox's career and opened my eyes to alternative movies.

This film killed Cox's career and opened my eyes to alternative movies.

• Apr 02, 2012

This movie kicks a** !!! My favorite part is when the hillbillly starts playing 'Night on Bald Mountain' on acoustic guitar... like ooo impending doom.. and then I couldn't tell but I think the guys started snickering, like it was a joke!! Smoke one, order a extra large pizza with extra cheese and extra pizza....and grab a hot date, perfect make out movie! And, if you don't like senseless violence, senseless acting (sans the Hopper of course), and senseless acoustic hillbilly versions of classical orchestral masterpieces.... *SPOILER ALERT* Courtney Love gets blowed up at the end!! MUST SEE!

Graham J Super Reviewer
    Oct 30, 2011

If I can't say anything else good about this film I can say that it is a boldly strange trip.