Summer of '42 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer of '42 Reviews

February 25, 2017
Not very realistic, not inspiring. Reminds me of the story style of Roth or Heller. Awkward, strange, where are the parents?? And the fiance of the older girl uses her emotionally shattered condition to seduce the teenager? Get real, this is a poor excuse for a movie.
½ November 22, 2016
A deliberately tender and sentimental coming of age tale wherein a young man is given his longed for first experience with sex, only under dark and tragic circumstances. Together with this, in this incredibly spare tale, is a nostalgic longing for what innocence there might have been in America in the time before WWll. That and a simple soundtrack by Michel Legrand translate what might've been tacky into a pretty decent Hallmark card from the home front circa 1942.
½ December 18, 2015
It was entertaining and humorous, but certainly pg is needed.
½ November 22, 2015
A really strong coming of age movie with a wonderful screenplay, ensemble performances, cinematography, and music. This came out the same year as The Last Picture Show that is lauded more for being a great coming of age movie but I feel this one is stronger than that movie.
August 13, 2015
i said it when i first saw it i'll save it again this ones a chick flick
May 5, 2015
I can't remember why I wanted to watch this movie but it was startlingly childish and immature and not very romantic, except for the music.
December 20, 2014
Doesn't age very well, despite some decent ideas on its surface.
July 30, 2014
This coming-of-age, comedy-drama, holds up very well. It is one of the best of this genre. There is a nice balance between the comedy and some serious drama. The story is very well done. The acting is all pitch perfect.

Interestingly, this movie can be seen as the career apex for several of the actors. This fact is true, even though all of them were quite young. Our heroine is Dorothy (Jennifer O Neil). Wiki says Ms. O Neil has been married 9 times to 8 different men. She also managed to shoot herself once. This is not the record of a happy, well-adjusted person. Many unusually beautiful women seem to be both helped and cursed by their beauty. The hero, Hermie (Gary Grimes) just disappeared from the acting profession. He was very good here. Two other supporting characters of note are: Oscy (Jerry Houser) and Miriam (Christopher Norris). Both, especially Mr. Houser were excellent. Both seemed to promptly fade from the acting scene.

Its summer time and I decided to revisit this movie. I am glad I did.

It was a good trip to the flics.
citawijaya
April 25, 2012
Simple coming of age drama with great scores by Michel Legrand and beautiful scene. It has a very similar plot with Giuseppe Tornatore's Malena, which is one of my fave movies ever. I enjoyed this movie very much.
January 19, 2012
Possibly one of the most frustrating acting performances ever. Grimes overacts his part of an angry young 15yr old. Why he is so angry and impatient is never explained and the dialogue comes out stilted and just plain inexplicable at times.
'Just the scene where he sees the telegram...looks at her and barely manages a very plain "soorrry"..so badly finishes off a very emotional scene.
This , however is outdone by the truly painful scene of him purchasing the condoms....so stilted, predictable and about 5 minutes too long...
I dont know if I should blame the director or Grimes...
I do know that the only reason it hit $20M was probably because we all wanted a to see the "the scene" when Dorothy and Hermie get together....but even that..though not botched..was plain vanilla.
December 4, 2011
Very good romance :)
August 25, 2011
summer of 42 aka hermies quest to get laid!!!
July 17, 2011
Well made very sappy coming of age story. You can forgive the soft focus and drippy romantic score because they are all done so well. Director Robert Mulligan does nostalgia pieces better than almost anyone, having directed the similarly nostalgic "To Kill a Mocking Bird" and "Man in the Moon". For not having a lot of screen time, Jennifer O'Neil delivers a very memorable performance, but for me the real star of the film is the Michel Legrand score. I could listen to that film score forever.
½ June 25, 2011
Quite possibly the essential and definitive "coming of age" film, at least from a male standpoint. What teenage boy hasnt fantasized about a beautiful older woman? How many teenage boys have fallen in love with their friend's mother or just a random older cougar who befriended them? This film touches on all of those aspects in addition to showing what could go through the mind of a youngster who is about to enter into manhood. Very, very good and, to a lesser extent, very erotic.
February 23, 2011
it's a very calm movie and i dont have a huge reason why but i really enjoyed it. i would have loved to have been born in that time, it seems so much nicer :)
January 11, 2011
A huge surprise for me. This is just a sweet and charming movie of a boy trying to grow up too fast. Powerful performances by all. Highly recommend this one!
December 19, 2010
One of the best coming of age and sudden lost of a loved one movies ever.
November 16, 2010
Forced dialogue and weak acting, are what did the movie in..