Superman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman Returns Reviews

October 14, 2017
The best in the series to date, Bryan Singer's take achieves a fine balancing act between the camp thrills of Kevin Spacey's Luthor and the genuine emotional burdens carried by Brandon Routh's Superman as he returns from exile to save the planet. The one flaw is that it's probably half-an-hour too long, but compared to the others (yes, even the much loved and now very dated original) that's small beer.
October 13, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. An awesome comeback for Superman. Brandon Routh did a pretty good job dawning the costume. Wish they had more action in it but oh well still good.
October 8, 2017
Superman Returns isn't the best film in recent installment, but it's not the worst superman film in the world. Emotionally super, The Bryan Singer does a good job with it.
jamrcla
½ September 28, 2017
I don't understand why this film gets as much hate as it does, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, First of all it's set before 3 & 4 and 5 years after number 2 as if to say let's pretend 3 & 4 happened and let's face it there's allot of people like me who wished they didn't happen as they were pretty bad films, The story was ok it took allot of plot points from the first with Lex Luthor wanting to kill millions of people just to own land and it was ok, Brandon Routh as Superman was fine I had no problem with him at all, Kevin Spacey was great as Lex but I didn't like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane and to be honest I've never liked most of the love interests in any superhero movie as they all end up being annoying bait, The effects were ok for its year and there should of been way more action for its very long run time and it does drag at points, The ending scene wasn't the best and they could of made it abit more interesting and even after the dramatic finale it still has around 20 minutes left were not allot happens, Ranking it with the original 4 movies it's my 2nd favourite behind the first obviously, It does have its share of problems but I wouldn't of mind seeing a sequel, It's just a shame they never put a little more faith in Brandon Routh instead of thinking about profits.
September 19, 2017
Fly in to action and see Spiderman saving the day it was a good movie and there where funny parts in this movie I like how Lex Luther is funny at times! I liked the movie it's a good one.
½ August 29, 2017
So dumb. He went from symbol of America to dead beat dad!
August 27, 2017
Bryan Singer must have learned from this, like put Brendan Routh on the small screen. $7
August 17, 2017
Possibly the best Superman film ever made. It's complex enough to keep you interested but streamlined so that every piece serves a purpose
½ August 13, 2017
Superman Return is a fun and enjoyable superhero movie
July 24, 2017
Singer's homages fit well and his use of camera is truly terrific, with a strong performances from Spacey and Routh who channels Reeves with great respect, but ultimately feels like an imitation. It's the character development here that's all over the place, for instance I find Superman naive and Lane ignorant and it's focus on the former's un-forbidden love and the latters constant attention seeking, is not how you create a superman film, nor is what should be the focus. The films running time is also rather excessive and not much actually happens, ultimately leading to a bloated film with very little action nor pay off. With a better edit that not only slims down but retracts it's excessive focus on Lane, this could be something special.
½ July 23, 2017
"Superman Returns" is a welcome reboot of the franchise, albeit definitely not up to par. The story is ok I guess, but the film is just way too padded with irrelevant, useless scenes. Also, why they chose to portray Lois Lane as a bitch - and quite an irresponsible mother for that matter - is beyond me. But even if you know how each action scene is going to end, there's still enough CGI spectacle to keep you interested - and a certain Kevin Spacey doing a really good job as Lex Luthor.
July 19, 2017
Underrated as all hell. Leagues better than the trash Marvel is putting out these days
July 16, 2017
The Good: The opening credits sequence, parts of the score are nice throwbacks to the original, Kevin Spacey is easily the best thing about this film. He makes for a great, and fun Luthor. The initial premise of the film is interesting and hold potential (Supes returns after a 5 year absence to find a world that has moved on without him, making him even more of an outcast than he was before.) but nothing is done with it. I do like James Marsden and Kate Bosworth (she makes for a sexy but uninteresting Lois) but they don't really do anything here.

The Ok: Brandon Routh makes for a passable Superman, resembling something out of the 40's or earlier. Ultimately he's too vanilla and bland for my tastes though.

The Bad: Too many Marlon Brando Voice-overs (we got it the first time you did it, no need to keep beating us over the head with it), Zero action, zero fights, zero conflict, Supes is a super-creeper in this one (the amount of scenes dedicated to him stalking on Lois is just disturbing), The film tries to be a little too cute at times, NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS, the more I think about this film the less I like it.

Final Thoughts: Superman Returns is just an ok film. Nothing happens for the duration of it's 2 hour run time. The film is even more bland and vanilla than it's main hero. It's unexciting, and suffers from a lack of action or conflict. How was this film supposed to reignite interest in Superman? It's not a bad film, but it's certainly not good. I left feeling like I had wasted a good 2 hours plus of my life. I'd say Skip it.
July 10, 2017
The movie is superman's best comeback of all.
½ July 9, 2017
An odd film defined by the decision to make a pseudo-sequel to the old movies, yet it doesn't follow through on the concept, which only works if you squint, relying on audiences not having seen its inspiration recently so they don't pick up on all the contradictions. What we get is a weird mix of imitation and modern sensibilities, which pervades everything, from the music, design and cinematography to the editing and pacing, but while the newer stuff is sometimes creative, and all of it looks great, the two sensibilities don't gel. A strong cast does remarkable impressions but they feel like the cover versions they are. Some are better than others and some get a little leeway to make their own mark on the roles, but they simply can't be as good as the iconic originals and suffer from not being allowed to break new ground. Taken for what it is it's not bad, it's a little slow and overlong, but there's little that's sacrilegious towards the old movies and there are some brilliant character moments and action pieces that show an understanding of Superman and his world. However, these mostly serve only to underline how the production could have shone if allowed to be it's own thing rather than forced into this re-hash.
June 26, 2017
The action is good and visuals are good. Brandon Routh gives a decent performance but I feel that he was trying to copy Christopher Reeve too much.

6.0/10
June 20, 2017
Extremely Sad this Movie had so Much potential
½ June 18, 2017
Not bad. Kevin Spacey is great as Lex. Bosworth does a pretty good job. Superman was corny enough to work and the effects were pretty awesome.
½ June 10, 2017
I like superman returns, I think it gets lots of things right.
May 25, 2017
2008's The Dark Knight Is My Second Favorite Film Of All Time.