Superman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman Returns Reviews

January 19, 2017
In this movie Kevin Spacey who plays Lex Luther or is trying to fight superman but lex is very sarcastic and rude and that's his personality is he is funny. I like how superman will fight against Lex. And with Superman saving the plane from crashing was incredible I thought it was a very cool seein superman is strong that's why he is called the Man of steel but this is a movie I liked
January 14, 2017
Short sweet and to the point here. If superman is going to return, this is how he should do it.
½ January 14, 2017
This is the best superman movie ever, which is very sad.
January 4, 2017
It's ok. There really isn't much else to say. The acting is perfectly ok, as good as the original. The story is very one-note and simple, showing that the film knows what it is. The visuals are impressive, the airplane scene is genuinely tense, making up for the underwhelming climax. No character really goes through an arc, aside from Lois, whose choices and arc I don't agree with. Bryan Singer also has a talent with bold characters, as Lex Luthor is by far the best character. While his plan may be boring, and make no sense, Kevin Spacey gives a wonderfully intense performance, channeling everything that makes Lex Luthor, Lex Luthor. Superman may not be super, but at least it's not terrible.
½ January 3, 2017
Just returned to this film after the most recent horrors of MoS and BvS. I can honestly tell you that watching Richard Donner's original plus this, was far more rewarding that sitting through the hours of Snyder's grimdark killfest. You should go back and check these out, it'll help get the sour taste of the most recent films out of your mouth.
½ December 1, 2016
,¢,,¦iâ¦......
½ November 19, 2016
I love this movie.

Why?

Because I love Superman, the original Superman movies 1&2 and what Superman is all about.

It's brilliantly simple in it's application while drenched in class and reminds me of what movies brought me in my youth.

And yes, you can't quite beat true movie sound and scores. Excellent.

It's definitely time for another sequel with Routh, reminding us what Superman should be all about.
November 5, 2016
A beautiful, loving and epic rebrth of the son of krypton, this is an exciting warm and romantic epic. It's now ten years since it's strange reception where it made 400 million worldwide but was after a while labelled as not just a disappointment but an out and out flop, and it also saw extremely strong reviews but was somehow mass labelled by the smaller percentage of bad reviews and on top of that saw a pretty muted audience response, and in those ten years it's reputation seems to have just continued to slide, indeed it seems the only following it really has is of people who fucking hate it (save that hatred for Zack Snyder's ultra pessimistic, gloomy misunderstanding of the character please people) Im not sure, even now where the hate is directed exactly, i mean sure some of the criticisms hold water, he does seem to mostly just lift increasingly heavy and massive things up, Kate Bosworth is too young to be Lois Lane, Lex Luthors plot is nonsensical and it is sometimes a little too reverent of the Richard Donner/Lester movie (whole lines are repeated, and sometimes there are element's of an outright remake here) but Returns is just a damn beautiful piece of work, it has a love for the man of steel that is warm and infectious, there is a sense of awe and wonder that usually only Spielberg can inject into his films. It's also really romantic, magical, sweet, often very funny, and the action sequences are huge and incredibly realized (the plane scene is one of the best set pieces of the noughties, and the bullet in Supermans eye is the single best visual representation of the characters indestructibility ever, also it's fucking badass!) there's also this sad, melenchnoic feel to the film that makes it unique among Superman films and superhero films overall, this films portrayal of Superman as a lost and lonely soul whose adopted world has moved on without him is fascinating, bold and affecting. Also Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor is a wicked delight, a far more malicious, nasty version of the character than we've seen before or since that the actor makes his own, he eats up scenes with infectious gusto, and may well be the best iteration of Supes main antagonist ever seen. Speaking of casting the performance of Brandon Routh as Superman deserves the uttermost respect and reverence, he is the best version of the character outside of Chris Reeve's definitive screen portrayal, he brings a gravitas and powerful presence, plus sense of warmth, likability and fine comic timing in his scenes as Clark Kent. Superman Returns deserves a reappraisal now, especially in the light of so many plain, samey, workmanlike modern superhero films lacking any sense of wonder, it grows ever more special. One of the greatest superhero films ever made. Magnificent.
November 1, 2016
Really poor subject to start with. An awful lot of boring and flawed aspects. It asks us to suspend reality and sensibility.
October 19, 2016
Actually pretty decent. "Superman Returns" features enough highlights for me to consider it pretty good. I mean it's not great or anything but it's still pretty enjoyable.

6/10 - Good
September 23, 2016
We all wish Superman never returned to the big screen.
September 19, 2016
Entertaining to watch and Brandon Routh makes a great Superman however story tends to drag.
½ September 12, 2016
Despite sincere intentions by the director to do justice to the franchise, this movie is simply too long, too lifeless and watching Brandon Routh imitate Christopher Reeve is almost as distracting as watching Ewan Macgreggor imitate Alec Guiness in the Star Wars prequels. Not a bad movie, just somehow drab and somewhat lacking in action.
September 11, 2016
This is the franchise that should have been. It's not perfect, kevin spacey's gal is a waste of space, but compared to man of steel it's golden. To the critics, this is a superhero film that isn't a film glued together by one liners and cgi, it's awful isn't it?
½ August 19, 2016
Decent story for fans of the dramatic side of the Superman character but all in all a dull superhero film with little fun excitement that should be expected from the Superman character. Misses the point.
½ August 15, 2016
While Bryan Singer brings an old-fashioned approach to the source material that successfully hearkens back to Richard Donner's classic films, Superman Returns amounts to nothing more than a tepid homage that evokes little excitement or fervor.
August 8, 2016
Well it was ok...Not much action but great story.. No emotion is there,the actor is not good enough but there were some scenes which i considered special!
August 6, 2016
While it doesn't quite measure up to Christopher Reeves's first or what Richard Donner's Superman II would have been, it finds peers among those. If only we could really forget that Superman III and IV happened. The Henry Cavill version has much to learn from this faithful continuation of the '80s installments. While the team that brought us this one might have continued in the same vein, the stories could easily have become even sillier than III and IV that it's probably better that we ended up with a reboot, even if it's flawed.
August 5, 2016
Superman Returns is an attempt comeback for the Superman franchise. However its generic plot and characters failed to bring in anything new to the franchise.
½ August 3, 2016
The more I see it the more I enjoy it. Sure, this is the softest Superman looks wise, and the ending drags a bit, but Kevin Spacey is a great Luthor, and the rest of the cast deliver for the most part. Sam Huntington as Jimmy is great, and there are some sunning visuals.