Superman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman Returns Reviews

May 25, 2017
2008's The Dark Knight Is My Second Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ May 20, 2017
Not as good as the first two movies, but thank god the effects are good this time around!
May 2, 2017
You can't miss this movie hay lex as the bad guy was funny he made me go laughing up a storm and Superman was funny in some ways as well I like how Superman saves the plane that was a cool part in the movie or when lex is being silly and sarcastic
½ April 27, 2017
should of given this version of superman a chance as is much better than the snyderverse singer just need a more oringinal idea for the film lex and land is just lazy
March 24, 2017
The initial premise of Superman having gone into hiding, withdrawing from the world, is simply brilliant. Brandon Routh is definitely Superman, and Clark Kent. His outfit, with the retro sepia colors, is excellent. And thatīs where my praise ends. Singer gets the hero, the mythos, the fanfare, the hope, but takes a fatal road... For whatever reason, he chose to focus on paying homage to the cheesy 80īs movies (I have yet to revisit Superman, but the sequel has been dated and drowned in comedy and cheese). The best example of this misstep is having Kevin Spacey play Gene Hackman playing a cheesy, evil-for-evilīs sake villain, instead of just having him play Lex Luthor as depicted in the comics. This was 2006, and Lexīs cold, ruthless business-man/villain persona had been around in the printed world for a while. What a waste. He pushes the throwback aspect to even more literal degrees by having Mrs. Teschmacher be something relevant again, and even including moments of Lexīs henchmen stupidity. As if he felt the need to associate Lex Luthor, brilliant mastermind, with low IQ assistants. At least we didnīt get Otis again. The movie then falls on itīs own homage-drenched weight, with help from a dull storyline, again taken from movies written a quarter of a century ago by then. I liked the scene in the Fortress of Solitude where heīs beaten up by common thugs, letting us see him in a human light (albeit if this is just a result of kryptonite exposure), and the overall look and performance of Routh as Superman/Kent. But aside from that and a general feeling for Supermanīs classic heroism appeal, thereīs not much here to hold onto.
½ March 22, 2017
Superman returns in forgettable fashion. It tries to heavily to connect to films of the past, but makes the movie feel like it's retreading water than doing anything new.
March 20, 2017
The most bland and heartless superhero film I've ever seen.
Routh was the wrong choice for the man of steel. He seriously lacks Reeve's intelligence and command of respect. Routh comes across as more of a boy then a 'Superman'. Lois Lane ought to be shot for being so selfish and uncaring. I know that superman doesn't 'kill', but think about it logically -- Lex Luthor keeps trying to cause mass murder for no reason other than personal financial gain, if you were Superman wouldn't you deem it neccessary for the greater good to snap his neck and be done with it? Particularly when it's such a stupidly poor portrayal on behalf of Kevin Spacey. Most of his dialogue is copied from Gene Hackman's for God's sake! Ultimately, Superman has much more powerful villains than Luthor, such as Brainiac and Doomsday who have yet to make an appearance on the silver screen.
March 19, 2017
The only thing that saves this movie is that awesome airplane scene.

Grade: D-
March 14, 2017
He lifts stuff.... Great but in all seriousness there are some strong moments here.
February 26, 2017
Superman returns is and will always to this day be remembered as amazing, but The biggest problem with this movie is that the script is just stupid
February 1, 2017
A great superman movie! Love the actor, even thought he didn't have the right superman-muscles
½ January 27, 2017
This movie is oddly very fun and silly, yet explores a very deep and interesting arc in Superman's life. The acting in this is on point and I enjoyed it very much!
½ January 26, 2017
Superman Returns ends the SUPERMAN trilogy, with great action, even if it falls into the all to familiar trap of corny characters.
½ January 26, 2017
not bad but needs more action, what keeps it from being great is it can be bland at times
½ January 25, 2017
Better than Superman III and IV this entry into the Superman series is long overdue and excites at certain moments but it feels more like a tribute to Christopher Reeve than anything else (not that there's anything wrong with that) it just takes you out of the movie at times.
January 19, 2017
In this movie Kevin Spacey who plays Lex Luther or is trying to fight superman but lex is very sarcastic and rude and that's his personality is he is funny. I like how superman will fight against Lex. And with Superman saving the plane from crashing was incredible I thought it was a very cool seein superman is strong that's why he is called the Man of steel but this is a movie I liked
January 14, 2017
Short sweet and to the point here. If superman is going to return, this is how he should do it.
½ January 14, 2017
This is the best superman movie ever, which is very sad.
January 4, 2017
It's ok. There really isn't much else to say. The acting is perfectly ok, as good as the original. The story is very one-note and simple, showing that the film knows what it is. The visuals are impressive, the airplane scene is genuinely tense, making up for the underwhelming climax. No character really goes through an arc, aside from Lois, whose choices and arc I don't agree with. Bryan Singer also has a talent with bold characters, as Lex Luthor is by far the best character. While his plan may be boring, and make no sense, Kevin Spacey gives a wonderfully intense performance, channeling everything that makes Lex Luthor, Lex Luthor. Superman may not be super, but at least it's not terrible.
½ January 3, 2017
Just returned to this film after the most recent horrors of MoS and BvS. I can honestly tell you that watching Richard Donner's original plus this, was far more rewarding that sitting through the hours of Snyder's grimdark killfest. You should go back and check these out, it'll help get the sour taste of the most recent films out of your mouth.