Superman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman Returns Reviews

August 17, 2017
Possibly the best Superman film ever made. It's complex enough to keep you interested but streamlined so that every piece serves a purpose
½ August 13, 2017
Superman Return is a fun and enjoyable superhero movie
July 24, 2017
Singer's homages fit well and his use of camera is truly terrific, with a strong performances from Spacey and Routh who channels Reeves with great respect, but ultimately feels like an imitation. It's the character development here that's all over the place, for instance I find Superman naive and Lane ignorant and it's focus on the former's un-forbidden love and the latters constant attention seeking, is not how you create a superman film, nor is what should be the focus. The films running time is also rather excessive and not much actually happens, ultimately leading to a bloated film with very little action nor pay off. With a better edit that not only slims down but retracts it's excessive focus on Lane, this could be something special.
½ July 23, 2017
"Superman Returns" is a welcome reboot of the franchise, albeit definitely not up to par. The story is ok I guess, but the film is just way too padded with irrelevant, useless scenes. Also, why they chose to portray Lois Lane as a bitch - and quite an irresponsible mother for that matter - is beyond me. But even if you know how each action scene is going to end, there's still enough CGI spectacle to keep you interested - and a certain Kevin Spacey doing a really good job as Lex Luthor.
July 19, 2017
Underrated as all hell. Leagues better than the trash Marvel is putting out these days
July 16, 2017
The Good: The opening credits sequence, parts of the score are nice throwbacks to the original, Kevin Spacey is easily the best thing about this film. He makes for a great, and fun Luthor. The initial premise of the film is interesting and hold potential (Supes returns after a 5 year absence to find a world that has moved on without him, making him even more of an outcast than he was before.) but nothing is done with it. I do like James Marsden and Kate Bosworth (she makes for a sexy but uninteresting Lois) but they don't really do anything here.

The Ok: Brandon Routh makes for a passable Superman, resembling something out of the 40's or earlier. Ultimately he's too vanilla and bland for my tastes though.

The Bad: Too many Marlon Brando Voice-overs (we got it the first time you did it, no need to keep beating us over the head with it), Zero action, zero fights, zero conflict, Supes is a super-creeper in this one (the amount of scenes dedicated to him stalking on Lois is just disturbing), The film tries to be a little too cute at times, NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS, the more I think about this film the less I like it.

Final Thoughts: Superman Returns is just an ok film. Nothing happens for the duration of it's 2 hour run time. The film is even more bland and vanilla than it's main hero. It's unexciting, and suffers from a lack of action or conflict. How was this film supposed to reignite interest in Superman? It's not a bad film, but it's certainly not good. I left feeling like I had wasted a good 2 hours plus of my life. I'd say Skip it.
July 10, 2017
The movie is superman's best comeback of all.
½ July 9, 2017
An odd film defined by the decision to make a pseudo-sequel to the old movies, yet it doesn't follow through on the concept, which only works if you squint, relying on audiences not having seen its inspiration recently so they don't pick up on all the contradictions. What we get is a weird mix of imitation and modern sensibilities, which pervades everything, from the music, design and cinematography to the editing and pacing, but while the newer stuff is sometimes creative, and all of it looks great, the two sensibilities don't gel. A strong cast does remarkable impressions but they feel like the cover versions they are. Some are better than others and some get a little leeway to make their own mark on the roles, but they simply can't be as good as the iconic originals and suffer from not being allowed to break new ground. Taken for what it is it's not bad, it's a little slow and overlong, but there's little that's sacrilegious towards the old movies and there are some brilliant character moments and action pieces that show an understanding of Superman and his world. However, these mostly serve only to underline how the production could have shone if allowed to be it's own thing rather than forced into this re-hash.
June 26, 2017
The action is good and visuals are good. Brandon Routh gives a decent performance but I feel that he was trying to copy Christopher Reeve too much.

6.0/10
June 20, 2017
Extremely Sad this Movie had so Much potential
½ June 18, 2017
Not bad. Kevin Spacey is great as Lex. Bosworth does a pretty good job. Superman was corny enough to work and the effects were pretty awesome.
½ June 10, 2017
I like superman returns, I think it gets lots of things right.
May 25, 2017
2008's The Dark Knight Is My Second Favorite Film Of All Time.
½ May 20, 2017
Not as good as the first two movies, but thank god the effects are good this time around!
May 2, 2017
You can't miss this movie hay lex as the bad guy was funny he made me go laughing up a storm and Superman was funny in some ways as well I like how Superman saves the plane that was a cool part in the movie or when lex is being silly and sarcastic
½ April 27, 2017
should of given this version of superman a chance as is much better than the snyderverse singer just need a more oringinal idea for the film lex and land is just lazy
March 24, 2017
The initial premise of Superman having gone into hiding, withdrawing from the world, is simply brilliant. Brandon Routh is definitely Superman, and Clark Kent. His outfit, with the retro sepia colors, is excellent. And thatīs where my praise ends. Singer gets the hero, the mythos, the fanfare, the hope, but takes a fatal road... For whatever reason, he chose to focus on paying homage to the cheesy 80īs movies (I have yet to revisit Superman, but the sequel has been dated and drowned in comedy and cheese). The best example of this misstep is having Kevin Spacey play Gene Hackman playing a cheesy, evil-for-evilīs sake villain, instead of just having him play Lex Luthor as depicted in the comics. This was 2006, and Lexīs cold, ruthless business-man/villain persona had been around in the printed world for a while. What a waste. He pushes the throwback aspect to even more literal degrees by having Mrs. Teschmacher be something relevant again, and even including moments of Lexīs henchmen stupidity. As if he felt the need to associate Lex Luthor, brilliant mastermind, with low IQ assistants. At least we didnīt get Otis again. The movie then falls on itīs own homage-drenched weight, with help from a dull storyline, again taken from movies written a quarter of a century ago by then. I liked the scene in the Fortress of Solitude where heīs beaten up by common thugs, letting us see him in a human light (albeit if this is just a result of kryptonite exposure), and the overall look and performance of Routh as Superman/Kent. But aside from that and a general feeling for Supermanīs classic heroism appeal, thereīs not much here to hold onto.
½ March 22, 2017
Superman returns in forgettable fashion. It tries to heavily to connect to films of the past, but makes the movie feel like it's retreading water than doing anything new.
March 20, 2017
The most bland and heartless superhero film I've ever seen.
Routh was the wrong choice for the man of steel. He seriously lacks Reeve's intelligence and command of respect. Routh comes across as more of a boy then a 'Superman'. Lois Lane ought to be shot for being so selfish and uncaring. I know that superman doesn't 'kill', but think about it logically -- Lex Luthor keeps trying to cause mass murder for no reason other than personal financial gain, if you were Superman wouldn't you deem it neccessary for the greater good to snap his neck and be done with it? Particularly when it's such a stupidly poor portrayal on behalf of Kevin Spacey. Most of his dialogue is copied from Gene Hackman's for God's sake! Ultimately, Superman has much more powerful villains than Luthor, such as Brainiac and Doomsday who have yet to make an appearance on the silver screen.
March 19, 2017
The only thing that saves this movie is that awesome airplane scene.

Grade: D-