Superman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman Returns Reviews

February 4, 2018
The one thing that really irritates me about Superman Returns is that it's rated higher than Man of Steel by critics- which is atrocious. Superman Returns ris an ok movie at best, whereas Man of Steel is a strong movie. What hurts Superman Returns is it tries to much to be Superman The Movie from 1978. And it's not. The opening sequence was maybe the best of any Superman movie yet which got me really excited, but it was all downhill from there. The first hour is fine- I like the way they brought Superman back and he was introduced back into the lives of Metropolis. But afterwards it sucked. The last hour was confusing, and sloppy. The casting was horrendous. Routh is the worst Superman yet- he just doesn't look the part and he tries too hard to be Reeves when he's Clark Kent. Lois Lane was horrible, and Jimmy Olson was annoying. The only saving grace of the cast was Kevin Spacey. He wasn't great or anything, but at least he tried to bring something new to the role of Lex Luthor, unlike with what the rest of the movie was trying to do. Overall, it's not a bad movie, but it tries too hard to be the original which makes it a bore, especially by the end.
½ January 18, 2018
It was fine. Nothing special. The airplane catch was a nice scene. Surprised James Marsden didn't want a bigger part in X-Men: The Last Stand for this.
½ January 16, 2018
Bryan Singer's Superman Returns is a much better film than many people give it credit for, it certainly is superior to the disaster visited upon the character by Zach Snyder and Company. Brandon Ruth brings a measured Superman to the screen but one that is still reminiscent of what audiences were accustomed to in the original series, while not as charismatic as Reeves, his touch of humanity resonates however with me, I like his portrayal, forgiving, caring, and gentle. What is wrong with that? Certainly better than more modern portrayals. . Kevin Spacy is an excellent Luther. There isn't a great deal of chemistry between Routh and Bosworth and she is a fair casting for Lane. CGI effects are pretty bad in places. Overall, I think it works as an action film with a very interesting take and twist at the end. It would have been nice to see the sequel and to see where the story would have progressed to. There are a few great scenes including the saving of the airplane and the catching of the Daily Planet sphere. It is a shame that the series did not continue and there was really no reason not to, as Routh established a good character and the movie did well at the box office, unfortunately, we will never know, but this movie works as a great addition to the superman movie world.
½ January 4, 2018
I think people should give a chance to this movie it wasn't as bad as people are saying. Yes is a bit too long because the ending part I just wanted the movie to be over. I think Brandon Routh played the role very descent, the action was solid. In my opinion it wasn't as bad, I liked this Superman movie. For that being said, for this being a solid film and a solid Superman movie, and for Kevin Spacey being a solid Lex Luther, I give " Superman Returns" B-.
January 2, 2018
The whole point of Superman is that he can do the right thing partly because of his wholesome upbringing, but also because he is powerful enough to BE the ultimate Boy Scout. This move loses sight of that. It turns Superman into a peeping tom deadbeat dad, among other failures. And starts turning the corner into refusing to paint him as a product of wholesome (if simplistic) middle-American values. Overall, a failed attempt to re-write a classic archetype.
½ December 28, 2017
Superman Returns does acknowledge the quintessential story of Superman and the action sequences (although limited) are undeniably perplexing. The run time, though, is a particular issue considering half of the storyline is unnecessary.
December 3, 2017
They did it all wrong.
November 25, 2017
Personally for me, my favourtite Superman movie. Better than the Man of Steel. It has a good storyline, not patchy and certainly has it best moment.
November 25, 2017
Although a little too long, this is a fun, thoughtful picture. I wish the writers' strike of 2007 had not derailed the planned sequel.
November 24, 2017
With a mostly good cast, solid acting, and a good mix of campy, and dark, this reboot works, despite the arguably silly plot
November 21, 2017
Could have been so much better, Routh really looked the part but this movie is a snore fest with very little action.
½ November 8, 2017
Looks good with a bit of a CG issue and the obvious plot twist can't exist in the Superman universe. It's a main rule.
October 31, 2017
How is it possible that folks thought this movie was anything but great? It revitalizes the old Superman via finding a guy who sounds and looks very much like Christopher Reeves, then tells a tale that fits in the structure of the those aforementioned movies/world.
This movie is epic and has a huge cast [which delivers], has superb writing with both heart and unbelievable Superman action, has forbidden love, and infinitely more comic book fun!
If you don't like the movie you simply don't like the 50s style Superman an that is you baggage not mine. The bizarrely fantastic strikes again and the alien of our democratic-republic honesty dreams is back in all its glory.

Too bad the new, "real", Man of Steel had to take this man's place in the "Justice League/Bat V Super", which many of us remember from the 80s, and wonder out loud..."WTF WB is thinking?"
I guess all great things must pass in time: even truth, justice, and the American way.
October 23, 2017
Fly in to action and see Spiderman saving the day it was a good movie and there where funny parts in this movie I like how Lex Luther is funny as well as cocky you should see the trailer to see how good it is and you will see Lex be funny as well as cocky. As for Superman he was funny now I take this movie as a Comedy with good action. Every one knows Superman"s line ( I'm all ways around ) Go Superman

I wish they made a SQL to Superman Returns!! You know I like this Superman Returns more then Superman Returns.
October 14, 2017
The best in the series to date, Bryan Singer's take achieves a fine balancing act between the camp thrills of Kevin Spacey's Luthor and the genuine emotional burdens carried by Brandon Routh's Superman as he returns from exile to save the planet. The one flaw is that it's probably half-an-hour too long, but compared to the others (yes, even the much loved and now very dated original) that's small beer.
October 13, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. An awesome comeback for Superman. Brandon Routh did a pretty good job dawning the costume. Wish they had more action in it but oh well still good.
October 8, 2017
Superman Returns isn't the best film in recent installment, but it's not the worst superman film in the world. Emotionally super, The Bryan Singer does a good job with it.
jamrcla
½ September 28, 2017
I don't understand why this film gets as much hate as it does, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, First of all it's set before 3 & 4 and 5 years after number 2 as if to say let's pretend 3 & 4 happened and let's face it there's allot of people like me who wished they didn't happen as they were pretty bad films, The story was ok it took allot of plot points from the first with Lex Luthor wanting to kill millions of people just to own land and it was ok, Brandon Routh as Superman was fine I had no problem with him at all, Kevin Spacey was great as Lex but I didn't like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane and to be honest I've never liked most of the love interests in any superhero movie as they all end up being annoying bait, The effects were ok for its year and there should of been way more action for its very long run time and it does drag at points, The ending scene wasn't the best and they could of made it abit more interesting and even after the dramatic finale it still has around 20 minutes left were not allot happens, Ranking it with the original 4 movies it's my 2nd favourite behind the first obviously, It does have its share of problems but I wouldn't of mind seeing a sequel, It's just a shame they never put a little more faith in Brandon Routh instead of thinking about profits.
½ August 29, 2017
So dumb. He went from symbol of America to dead beat dad!
August 27, 2017
Bryan Singer must have learned from this, like put Brendan Routh on the small screen. $7