Supremacy Reviews

• Nov 20, 2016

I hope to see more of Joe Anderson. He is right up theere with the Denlro;s Brando's, and Glover's. His spectacular performance was enough to get us thru to the end.

• Dec 19, 2015

Like most people now that this movie is long out of theaters, I found "Supremacy" on Netflix's recent uploads queue. Just by the title, I thought this might have the potential to be a psychologically complex, morally ambiguous thriller--was thus disappointed to watch a movie that was none of those things. Though Danny Glover's performance saves the film from utter unwatchability, "Supremacy" is a 106-minute gritty mess; the almost constant racial slurs and unexplained violence, of course, don't do much to help matters. Overall, the idea for a movie about a white supremacist freshly out of prison confronting his ideological "enemies" (and having that confrontation subsequently result in having to deal with their shared humanity) is downright intriguing; unfortunately, the execution of "Supremacy's" writing, direction, and cinematography couldn't make even the greatest idea work. My verdict: Don't be fooled by the trailer--"Supremacy" isn't worth taking the time from your normal Netflix-binge schedule.

• Nov 16, 2015

A Small movie with good actors based on a true story. It was pretty good too, keeps you pretty engaged but I didn't enjoy the back and forth timeline editing. I think the movie would've been so much better if it had just let the story unfold straight forward. The way it is now made it unnecessarily repetitive.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Nov 12, 2015

Joe Anderson is a talented, handsome actor but he can't save this muddled thriller devoid of insight and plagued with ridiculous dialogue, and even the use of flashbacks along the movie is amateurish in the way that it tries - and fails - to gradually shape the character's motivations.

• Sep 27, 2015

disturbing but very average film - Danny Glover is getting too old for this sh*t

• Todd S Super Reviewer
    Sep 26, 2015

Some stories are so far fetched, that they couldn't possibly be anything but a true story. Supremacy is one of those films that is ripped from the headlines, telling the incredible true story of Garrett Tully, a white supremacist who was out of jail for less than twenty-four hours. Tully (Joe Anderson) was released on parole, after spending most of his life behind bars. He was on his way back to the white supremacist strong hold he called home, when he and his girlfriend are stopped by a policeman, a black policeman. It doesn't take long for Tully to jump out of the car and kill the officer, before going on the run. The pair makes their way to a suburban area, where they break into a house and take a black family hostage. Aside from the obvious tension of a hostage situation, there is also extreme racial tension, that makes the whole situation that much harder for the people involved. As events play out, something miraculous starts to occur as Tully, starts to sympathize with his hostages. Danny Glover stars as The homeowner, Mr. Walker, and was beyond phenomenal. Glover excels in films that involve race, because he has this quiet simple way about getting his message across. He's never over the top or in your face about it, he's just a simple man who states the truth, something most people easily relate to. Aside from Glover's performance and the obvious question about what's going to happen, this film was a dud. There is a lot of waiting around, racial slurs, and arguing before we get any answers we seek. Supremacy is basically a film you start to watch, and would like to turn off, but you can't until you find out what happens. My advice, Danny Glover has plenty of other similar significant roles under his belt, and you'd save a lot of time and frustration by simply googling Garrett Tully.

• Sep 20, 2015

Something of a slow burner, it's not overly interesting to start off with, but as the psychology of the situation increases, so does the aforementioned.

• Sep 01, 2015

awesome under-rated movie, the acting was great, and the storyline was very tense. no idea why so many hated this movie. this was a very good thriller movie, worth watching.

• Aug 30, 2015

Tense hostage thriller. White supremacist holds a black family hostage. Based on true events

• Aug 29, 2015

This is not your ordinary home invasion chiller. Am wondering if this 2014 film is an example of predictive programming, or whether the deputy's death at the gas station is purely coincidental with the shooting of a sheriff's deputy at a Houston gas station 8/28/2015. The 2014 release of this film also coincides with rising racial tension in America over the last couple of years. I thought the movie was well directed and photographed. The emotional tone of the film was enhanced by sparingly used flashbacks, and the score was low key (in blessed contrast to most action movies). I don't really understand why critics hated it.....the scene between Anderson and Glover at the film's end brought me to tears. The worst acting came from the daughter, and although Deena's character was at times a little too schizophrenic, her broken mirror scene in the bathroom redeemed her. I loved this film, and would watch it again to see if I missed any other "subliminal messages." Maybe I'm just getting old, but I thought this film was not only timely in content, but well done when compared to many current offerings, including some top "box office hits." But then, I also enjoyed Jupiter Ascending, so what do I know?