Susan Slept Here - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Susan Slept Here Reviews

January 2, 2019
I saw this flick a long time ago, I thought it was funny, but looking at it now, about 50 years later, it strikes me as just not morally right, especially since in reality, Dick Powell was 50, not the age he was supposed to be--35, and he looked more like 60. Debbie Reynolds was supposed to be 17 and in reality was 22. The age difference is just too much to be anything but obscene. And for the police to leave a 17 year old with a man even 35 is downright immoral, too! The plot of this whole movie is just wrong!
December 28, 2018
I know this movie was "of its time " but even then men over 30 who got involved with 17 year old girls, " written consent of her mother " or not, all nice and legal in Vegas or not, were considered a little creepy. In 2019, Debbie Reynolds slavishly cleaning, reciting drink recipes to prove her "worth" and mock barking when the guy mentions a little dog is downright stomach turning. Yuck
December 31, 2017
Susan Slept Here is fun film. It is about a screenwriter who is working on a script about juvenile delinquency. Dick Powell and Debbie Reynolds give amazing performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. Frank Tashlin did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and drama. Susan Slept Here is a must see.
½ December 17, 2017
Fun comedy vehicle which flips often between slapstick leanings of a RomCom and pedophilia - wait long enough & it's legal(!). The decor & costumes tend to really play up Reynold's in this Technocolor film. Though her va-voom factor isn't really exploited until the dancing dream sequence.

I somehow missed Mr. Benny's cameo, but great to see Alvy, Maide, Ellen, & (for once!) a silent Red among the cast.
February 22, 2013
A Hollywood screenwriter needs to find a trouble child for his next role and his buddies get him one for Christmas. He ends up taking her in and taking good care of her and eventually falls in love with her. I didn't recognize any if the actors but this movie was funny at times and was a pleasant film to watch.
December 9, 2012
Such a fun and great old romantic comedy about a December June relationship.
December 9, 2012
this is the ONLY golden hollywood pic narrated by 'Oscar" yes the academy award stauette
½ December 1, 2012
fun movie ! Dick Powell was funny as a man who belives he is a confirmed bachelor. Debbie Reynolds creates maham when she is brought to his appartment by two vice squad officers. the reason they dont want her to spend Christmas in juvenel detention. things spiral out of control from here
½ September 6, 2011
Debbie Reynolds is as bright, sparkling, spunky, and beautiful as ever in this one, but the film still fell flat for me because of Dick Powell. I know he was supposed to be too old for her in the film, but...he was playing a 35-year-old, when in reality he was 50!! It didn't work. It was creepy. If they'd picked a guy who was actually 35 for the role, maybe I could have bought the romance. But as it is, bleh.
½ September 4, 2011
Reynolds and Moore are great in this, but its mostly goofy.
February 23, 2011
This is my first Warner Archives burn on demand purchase. This was fun 50's Hollywood fluff! I bought it because of the director Frank Tashlin (an ex cartoon director turned live action director). This was Dick Powells last film...and it also starred two lovely ladies, Debbie Reynolds (at her adorble best) and Ann Francis (anyone who has seen Forbidden Planet knows what a beauty SHE is!).
December 31, 2010
Sort of subdued for Tashlin, although he sure knows how to get the most out of technicolor. The calmer tone is probably for the best given the jailbait subject matter, so even when the central romance fails to fully convince at least it doesn't seem like they're taking things too lightly. Reynolds is her usual self here, which is less of a good thing this time around because she makes no sense as a juvenile delinquent - she's bratty at worst and comes off as even younger than the character is meant to be.
jjnxn
December 25, 2010
Cotton candy confection with Debbie bright and chipper. Something from a much more innocent time with for that time a slightly risque story, although the fact that Debbie was actually 22 and looks it not the 17 the script indicates removing much of the ick factor. Skillfully played by all with Glenda Farrell very amusing in support and Anne Francis a knockout in an eyepoppingly elegant wardrobe.
December 13, 2009
You learn to love Susan! Her gitty personality and charming presants makes this movie. It's a great romantic movie with heart tugging twists!
February 27, 2009
This movie's plot is a bit bizarre for today's viewers but the film happens to be cut and very funny film. Debbie Reynolds plays one of movies' most adorable characters and sweetest juvenile delinquent on record. Dick Powell ends his film career well as the big hearted, slightly cynical Mark Christopher. Debbie steals the show but Alvy Moore (of Green Acres fame) and Glenda Farrell both get in their fair share of one-liners. The colors and fashions are outstanding and that 50's way of life is very inviting. Mind you, its no Citizen Kane, but its a very fun way to spend a lazy saturday afternoon.
February 22, 2009
I would like to see a remake of this.
½ December 24, 2008
susan slept here has an out of control premise and totally insane dream sequences. also, debbie reynolds was kind of hot early in her career.
November 23, 2008
Strained romantic comedy and musical, it's entertaining but also predictable. Good supporting cast, well produced with good costumes. The performances are decent but no one is outstanding.
May 18, 2008
This is a funny movie
January 31, 2008
Pickles and strawberries...fabulous! Old man and young girl...for some reason it does not seem creepy back then!