Tabloid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tabloid Reviews

½ November 30, 2016
Typical Errol Morris, which means great!
May 21, 2016
-Tabloid is een 2010 Amerikaanse documentaire geregisseerd door Errol Morris. Het vertelt het verhaal van Joyce McKinney, die in 1977 werd beschuldigd van ontvoering en verkrachting van Kirk Anderson, een Amerikaanse Mormoonse missionaris. Het incident, bekend als de Mormoonse seks met kettingen zaak, werd een belangrijke tabloid verhaal in het Verenigd Koninkrijk en ontketende een circulatie gevecht tussen twee populaire tabloids, de Daily Mirror en de Daily Express.

-De film is gebaseerd op interviews van McKinney, journalist Peter Tory (1939-2012) en fotograaf Kent Gavin uitgevoerd door Morris. De film verwijst naar de Mormoonse cultuur, zoals temple kledingstukken.

--Gerechtelijke stappen tegen Morris:

-In november 2011, Joyce McKinney spande een rechtszaak met het Los Angeles Superior Court tegen Errol Morris, stellende dat Morris en zijn producent Mark Lipson haar vertelde dat ze waren aan het filmen voor een TV-documentaire serie over de paparazzi. McKinney klaagt aan over het feit dat zij werd belasterd, want de film portretteert haar als "gek, een sex dader, een S&M prostituee, en/of een verkrachter."
April 24, 2016
The Strange, Perplexing Truth:

You can never trust a tabloid to tell the truth. Often times the 'news' that are reported in them are skewed in such a way to boost sales, or are most often... down right wrong. Errol Morris cuts through the strange story of Joyce McKinney's lifetime of gossipy headlines in a series of interesting interviews in this documentary.

I personally had never heard of the former Miss Wyoming, who broke headlines in the 1970's, when she and a few compatriots traveled to England after planning the abduction of a man involved in the Mormon religion. Kirk Anderson was a young man who met Joyce near Salt Lake City in the U.S some time before committing himself to his faith. There was some sort of love affair between the two, and even promises of marriage, kids and a life together. Then one day, quite suddenly and with no explanation, he leaves for England. I was quite saddened by the way she told this story, and it's pretty obvious how much she loved this man, and normally when a man runs off without saying goodbye, it's pretty understandable that the relationship is over. But not for Joyce. She wasn't taking no for an answer.

The story that unfolds is pretty wild, but an absolute pleasure to watch. What makes it so interesting is the way Joyce tells the story, as the events get wilder and wilder, stranger and stranger until you have to ask yourself, 'Is this actually what happened?' She tells the story with an absolute certainty that it happened the way she tells it, and there are other interviewees that contribute to the wild tale that unfolds. However it's her personality that makes it really shine. She comes off as a happy, carefree kind of person. A real southern belle with a attitude of such nonchalance, that you can't help but smile when she describes some of the more, shall we say, illegal activities she committed.

The film shows us how far some people are willing to go for desire, even to the point of unbelievable madness. There is a bit of a sweet seaway in the main story at the end, that actually shows her obsession very well, but I couldn't help but smile at how nuts she is... but in a nice way. Certainly a sad story, perplexing at times, and simply hilarious as well.

4/5
March 14, 2016
What a crazy story!!! Pretty sure I saw this before but loved it once again!!!
October 8, 2015
Where does Morris find this shit?
August 5, 2015
Doc didn't interest me much.
June 27, 2015
In focusing on a truly bizarre tabloid war centering around a woman who seems to have a knack for both attracting disaster and spinning a story, Errol Morris raises valuable questions about the nature of journalism and the ultimate ambiguity that exists in place of the truth, something apparently unknowable (in this case specifically). It's understandable why this kind of story was so captivating back in the 70's as it's completely ridiculous, and while that base level of shock value is certainly present here, the murky view of actuality that comes with the territory is what really makes Tabloid such a compelling sit.
June 21, 2015
This movie was interesting for the first half-hour.
May 19, 2015
I love movies about crazy people. This film hits the spot.
March 30, 2015
This movie is no less trashy than the tabloids that reported on this thoroughly bizarre story back in 1977.
January 16, 2015
Okay, so first things first: this is the story of a fucking crazy, unbalanced woman, who is an unreliable narrator at best, so let's just get that out of the way right off the bat. That said, her tales of her falling in love and having to try to free her man from the clutches of the Mormon Church are interesting, but it's all so strange and flawed, you have to wonder just how much she's completely made up in her head at this point.

Still, it's an interesting watch.

Recommended.
½ January 5, 2015
this was. strange, I have never heard the story before and it was weird. the documentary itself is overly produced and has too many silly graphics that keep stopping the story. it dragged so badly that I couldn't make it through and quit halfway, and never did find out what happened.
December 1, 2014
Not Errol Morris's most sober or important works, but still incredibly entertaining. Love the dog cloning bit at the end.
½ September 16, 2014
A jaw-dropping documentary, but a sickening, slanderous depiction of Mormonism.
September 1, 2014
Errol Morris's Tabloid is a interesting documentary about a mormon girl. It gets the events right and tight so I wouldn't get confused about it. The mormon girl is enjoyably energetic and the way she done things is bizarre, but does get me interested to see what's going to happen. When the main story is over, it kept going which I got confused, yet bored. When it got to another bizarre thing, it surprised me and went back to being invested in it. So as it is, it's a good movie, I just wish it was better than it could've been.
August 28, 2014
"Tabloid" is an invasive, if underwhelming, character study that follows the life of Joyce McKinney, a former beauty queen with a genius IQ and a penchant for histrionics. While Joyce McKinney is undoubtedly an interesting subject for this taboo documentary, the execution of Errol Morris is left wanting. The title of the film is misleading, since most of the focus lies on Joyce, and little to do with the actual media, or tabloids. Most of the film concerns cartoonish recreations of the alleged events, and interviews with McKinney and her accomplices. Her victim doesn't give his two cents, and the message of the film is very up in the air. Is Morris trying to say something about media, about the antics of this beautiful kidnapper, or is he simply displaying her for the audience to ooh and aah over? McKinney's story is interesting, but this would have worked just as well as a "Where Are They Now?" article, or as a book. This medium really wasn't necessary to express the trivialities of a former criminal even if she is entertaining to watch.
½ August 24, 2014
What did I just watch?
½ July 25, 2014
By no means is it an enlightening documentary, nor does its central thesis give us anything new to ponder, but the compilation of truth and societal satire is excellent, and the story it all surrounds is hilariously strange and rarely stops entertaining.
½ July 2, 2014
Sometimes, the best of documentaries are the ones that focus on individuals that we know nothing about, individuals who have a strange story to tell that we never had the chance to hear. The subject of "Tabloid" is Joyce McKinney, a former beauty queen whose looks hide a genius IQ and a criminal mind. Why is the film called "Tabloid," you ask? As it turns out, nearly 40 years ago, McKinney was a Kardashian, minus the name, the TV show, the longevity, the sexy body, the drama-ready family - in other words, people were fascinated by her, despite her unsavory ways of achieving her infamy.
Kim Kardashian became famous due to a sex-tape with rapper Ray J. Some people forget that because they are so drawn by the glamour that surrounds her, making it almost unbelievable that someone so interesting could be so scuzzy in truth. So was the case with McKinney, who in comparison, at least had a too-good-to-be-true backstory: she was not merely famous for being famous; instead, she was famous for being a kidnapper with a baby face and a hell of a story to tell.
Documentarian Errol Morris takes a simplistic approach in "Tabloid" - he only interviews six people, with the majority of the storytelling landing on McKinney herself, who, even today, stands by her point-of-view, telling it in a way your grandmother talks about how she met your grandfather.
The story goes like this: in 1977, Joyce McKinney, aka Miss Wyoming, met Kirk Anderson, a young mormon with whom she fell in love with quite quickly. One day, he disappears. McKinney, afraid that he may have been kidnapped (she compares the mormon religious to that of a cult), tracks him down, and finds him in England, bringing a few accomplices along with her for "protection" against his religious affiliates.
But when the plot gets to this point, the roads diverge. McKinney claims that she and Anderson willingly left the Church of Latter-Day Saints headquarters and had a romantic weekend in a secluded village. Anderson claims that she kidnapped him, tied him to a bed, and raped him. Either way, McKinney is arrested, and in response, becomes a media sensation.
People are charmed by her innocence, the public slightly compelled, slightly laughing, with the press desperate to dig into her past and find some dirt. They uncovered strange things aplenty, and while her fame certainly did not last, she kept popping up over the years, most recently for cloning her dog in South Korea in 2008.
By turns, "Tabloid" is hilarious, shocking, and downright horrifying, never in their truest forms - more backwards than anything. The key to the films success is Morris' unbiased eye. He never lets his own opinion get in the way, rather, he presents us with enough evidence to decide for ourselves if McKinney was a sweet girl caught in a terrible circumstance, or if she truly was/is a train wreck.
At times, it's hard to dislike her, easy to believe her - as she sits across from Morris as he interviews her, she tells her story like a politician would. She is entrancing, apparently knowing, and she portrays a sort of air that makes it seem as though she stands firm in everything she says. But every once in a while, she lets out a bizarre cackle, or, an odd facial expression, that tests our trust. It doesn't help that four out of the five other interviewees don't seem to be on her side.
But what's so smart about Morris' style is that he shows us what made McKinney such a draw in the media. He often times smothers the screen in newspaper covers, which state dramatic headlines and quotes that instantly pull us into what we're about to read. There are loads of pictures shown that put a spotlight on her young, bubbly, and completely innocent looking stature - at times, I felt catapulted into 1977, actually questioning if she was guilty of her supposed crimes. And yet, when the shift changes into her decision to clone her dog, that's when I was sold - this woman is nuts. But fascinatingly nuts.
In 2011, McKinney filed a lawsuit against Morris, for portraying her as being "crazy, a sex offender, an S&M prostitute, and/or a rapist." Is McKinney so out of touch that she doesn't realize that no matter what anybody does, she'll always be considered to be that woman? In truth, it doesn't matter. Because, like its subject, "Tabloid" is weird, digestible, and utterly throwaway.