Tai Chi Zero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tai Chi Zero Reviews

April 22, 2016
A rather refreshing Kung Fu movie.
½ January 3, 2016
Interesting mix of Kung-Fu and steampunk genres. Not very deep, but lots of humor and some terrific action sequences make it worthwhile.
July 27, 2015
Honestly, once you've seen Kung Fu Hustle, it's kinda hard to be surprised, shocked or enthralled by a film attempting to be silly, goofy and sometimes even video-game inspired. I'm not even suggesting that Kung Fu Hustle is the best kun fu film I've ever seen, because it is not, it's just that that film has an unmatched sense of style and silliness that is hard to duplicate. With that said, I did think that this was actually quite a fun martial arts films. I think they do mix it up from the usual martial arts films, while also paying tribute and including many martial arts legends, trainers and practitioners. The film does mix in a surprising steampunk element in the film what with Eddie Peng's character trying to install a railway station through his former village and the villagers, obviously set in their ways, resisting and fighting back against the western technology. In the middle of all this fits in Lu Chan, who has come to Chen village in order to learn their style of kung fu so he won't die. How they explain this is silly, really, and that is that Lu has Horn of the Three Blossoms, I think they call it, on his forehead. Every time he's hit on this 'horn' he becomes like the hulk, super strong and deadly. The thing is that it also comes with a killer nosebleed. So, essentially, every time someone hits on him this 'horn' it gets him closer to death. When the horn turns black is when Lu Chan will die. Learning the Chen style kung fu will, apparently, save his life. Got all that? Good. The film, for the most part, sees Lu trying to earn his way into the village by fighting some of the villagers. This leads to some pretty cool fight scenes. I particularly liked the one with Brother Tofu, that one was pretty entertaining. All of them were honestly, but I enjoyed that one the most. What I like about the film is that it doesn't take itself seriously, in the least. Some of the things it does aren't necessarily unexpected, but they're definitely surprising. I also liked how Peng's character progressed. I wouldn't call him villainous as much as he's dismissive of the villagers and the life they lead. Perhaps that paints him as a villain in the eyes of some, but I don't think he was. Part of me honestly think that he started out wanting to do some good and help a village that made fun of him because he was an 'outsider', so to speak. Of course that all changes later in the film, when it's clear that he's now a villain after a certain event happens. And, you know what, it's actually well-done and understandable. It's not like he wasn't a dick for no reason. He has a perfectly good reason for going to the 'dark side', if you will. So I thought that was, surprisingly, well-done. And the climactic fight was also really cool and fun. Any scene where fruits and vegetables are used to defeat soldiers with guns will always be ok in my book. The ending itself is a bit of an annoying cliffhanger to get you to want to see the sequel. Which is fine, but it felt like this film really isn't complete. It's also not a problem since Netflix also offers the sequel, Tai Chi Hero, which is the next film I'll review, but the ending is still slightly annoying. With that said, this isn't the best kung fu film you will ever see, hell even Iron Monkey, a film almost a quarter of a century old, is better than this. But I think most people will have a good time with it. I certainly did. I'd recommend it if you have Netflix.
April 11, 2014
The tai chi is beautiful to watch, but the story was dumb, and I was expecting more steam punk action. But I'll watch the next one in hopes it gets better.
March 22, 2014
mas obvio que irei assistir esse filme!
½ March 15, 2014
I do enjoy this film, it is fun to watch and entertaining. Yes, I own it, and hae watched it more than 3 times.
½ March 9, 2014
Ever since he was a kid, Yang Lu Chan(Jayden Yuan) has had the ability to mimic the martial arts skills of others, often putting them to good use. The downside is that it is killing him. After he is the only survivor of a sneak attack, he travels to a remote village to learn how to safely harness his abilities. And is instantly rebuffed. To be fair, the villagers have bigger things on their mind like the coming railroad and electricity but the presentation from Chen Yu Niang(Angelababy) and Fang Zi Jing(Eddie Peng) does not go exactly as planned.

"Tai Chi Zero" is enjoyable on multiple levels as it combines silent films, video games and martial arts into one fun concoction. And the in-movie credits while potentially distracting are not an entirely bad idea. So, in the end, this inventive film keeps things moving which causes it to not sink under the weight of being the Great Steampunk Hope that takes place at a pivotal point in China's history.
March 1, 2014
It's not as spectacular as it might lead on and it's partly because of that that Tai Chi Zero's video-game style isn't totally fulfilled. It has a good set up, but too quick a pace, a lack of action scenes, and not a lot of dialogue. Still, with whatever style it manages to pull off in the fight scenes, fans of the martial arts genre should be entertained.
January 10, 2014
stylistically strange but undeniably fun. I would recommend it to those looking for something "different" in the action genre.
October 22, 2013
Once you start to watch this movie and then you find out there are more movies following this one you are always looking to see when the release dates are.
This is a must see movie!
½ October 18, 2013
Avevo sentito parlare bene di questo film, ma non mi aspettavo una meraviglia simile. lontano dagli estetismi esagerati del wuxia di ultima generazione, non rinuncia ad una bellezza stupefacente, mischianto i canoni con un'estetica steampunk. la regia deliziosamente autoironica, senza mai essere fastidiosa nel suo prendersi in giro. Splendide battaglie, personaggi interessanti, donne bellissima e un cattivo di spessore e col quale non difficile relazionarsi. finalmente un wuxia moderno che non tradisce le sue origini. (4.5/5)
October 16, 2013
The style of Stephen Fung's production is always childish and amine! Action is present in the movie, but they're all fake moves and the story isn't that appealing and dialogue is stupid. Not really missing much if you do not watch this.
September 29, 2013
Not my cup of tea...
September 25, 2013
"Tai Chi Zero" is loads of fun to watch, especially a battle in which watermelons, bananas and other fruits and veggies serve as flying weapons. Fung is enjoying himself so much that he doesn't want the movie to end - and his delight is infectious.
½ September 22, 2013
Meh. Well done but been there done that waaaay too many times already.
½ September 18, 2013
Trailer oversold it.
½ September 12, 2013
All style, no substance.
½ September 2, 2013
Has that Street Fighter, anime comic book-like CG fusion with Kung-Fu movie. Vaguely reminds me of Kung-Fu Hustle.
September 1, 2013
Awesome Kung Fu Generation Film
½ August 27, 2013
Rather meh. The trailer looked more exciting.