Taken - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taken Reviews

August 2, 2017
A non-ambitious action-packed movie, that unnecessarily opens a total stupid sequels. The movie works at its own.
½ July 30, 2017
The action is on point and Liam Nesson plays a great bad ass, but the momentum of the first half isn't matched by the last and the lack of a script after the famous lines is obvious.
½ July 25, 2017
Movie about a father who hunts down kidnappers of his daughter when she takes a trip to Europe. Rips off many movies done before, but I like it simply for Liam Neeson. Plus the plot of the movie is actually much better than most of the movies its ripped off.
July 22, 2017
Taken is an unrelenting and intense experience, and proves Liam Neeson a grounded and calculative action hero.
½ June 25, 2017
A kinetic and visceral action-thriller, featuring yet another fantastic performance from Liam Neeson.
June 21, 2017
A fluent action movie.Non-stop action
½ June 20, 2017
Certainly cliche, 'Taken' is an entertaining flick that doesn't require much effort on the part of the audience.
May 22, 2017
Although not exactly ingenious, it was fun and is likeable, perhaps even worth more than one watch. The music was good enough and the acting passable, though Famke Janssen is starting to show her age (I swear she looked twenty years younger in the first two X-men movies). But whatever. She's still a good actor. And Liam Neeson is also as good as can be expected.
½ May 15, 2017
I?ve actually seen Taken 2, but I never watched the original film that kicked off this entire trend of movies about ?old? men coming out of retirement to kill a bunch of people again. I can see why this movie was such a hit, because it seems to have all the required elements of a crowd-pleasing action film. The setup makes you sympathize with the protagonist, and then have zero sympathy for the antagonists. It is loaded with intense and visceral scenes of violence that we can justify, because we are programmed to think it?s acceptable for a man to stop at nothing in order to save his daughter. I?ll admit that the way the story is framed also got its hooks into me so that I cared about the good guys and wanted to see them take down the bad guys in any way possible.

Liam Neeson is superb at the most important part of this role...sounding dangerous. The famous phone call that kicks off the action of the film is so well done, and it relies completely on Neeson delivering the lines in just the right way. A lot of the action sequences are shot in creative ways so that he can pull it off or they can hide the fact that we?re actually seeing a stunt double, so I didn?t have any issues with that stuff. The only time I cringed a little about Neeson?s acting was in the opening few scenes before and during his daughter?s party, but I think that was more a symptom of some bad script work. The rest of the cast was fine, but sadly, there wasn?t one villain established well enough to stand out from the rest or to feel like the main antagonist that needed to be defeated.

What surprised me the most was the level of violence in Taken. Based on the way people have sold this movie to me in the past, I expected it to be almost traumatic levels of gore and violence. Yet I didn?t get that, instead this movie seemed almost restrained compared to what I?ve seen in other films. It?s not really a bad thing, but I think I expected a little more shock and awe when he was dispatching a room full of bad guys. Taken is loaded with these scenes where the tension builds up for a few seconds and then it is released very quickly in dramatic fashion. I think it might have worked better if the tension built up a little longer, or if I felt for even one second that he had met his match or might fail. They even had a ticking clock but rarely referenced it.

Taken is kind of dumb in some parts. There are definite logic problems I had with the film, but they are standard across most action movies, so I am accustomed to letting that kind of stuff go. I also liked that they didn?t hide anything or attempt to surprise the audience with the plot of the film. They have scenes very early where the main character and his friends talk about what they used to do, so it never feels like the writers are wasting our time trying to trick us into believing he is just an average guy. And this makes it so we don?t have to be introduced to each new character he meets because we can just accept that these are connections he made in his old life. I?m willing to take some of the common action movie nonsense in Taken, because it is just a fun ride, and I would gladly watch it again any time.
½ May 3, 2017
A completely dumb plot, action movie cliches and a terrible performance from Liam Neeson, Taken demonstrates how to NOT make an action movie.
May 3, 2017
taken is a fun and amazing film with action packed action scenes
½ April 5, 2017
Taken is undeniably a straight up action-packed popcorn flick. However, it does have a rather very unique, fast-paced and slick action. This film elevates Liam Neeson as an action star with "A particular set of skills". Nothing more to say, an exciting largely brainless well filmed action film that will definitely entertain you for 90 minutes.
April 1, 2017
Omg. it was sooooo good.
½ March 20, 2017
Loved this movie, a little underrated in my opinion.
½ March 18, 2017
A bit action-packed, but enjoyable nonetheless. Recommended!
March 12, 2017
Yep, loved Liam with "a certain set of skills!"
February 28, 2017
It may be a bit too violent for a PG-13 movie but Liam Neeson demonstrates just how badass he is in Taken with tons of fun action sequences and a couple of heart-pounding thrills making it an action movie that remains entertaining in its own right. True, it has some plotholes like the two girls early on in the movie telling a complete stranger their personal details...because they totally won't suffer possible consequences at all... but this movie, upon being seen, won't be remembered for that. Instead, it will be remembered for main protagonist Bryan Mills' iconic phone speech.
½ February 23, 2017
I love this movie but a little to predictable for my taste but I will find you and I will kill you
February 18, 2017
One of my personal favorites, I've watched this over and over again without being tired of it. Amazing acting and very action packed.
February 6, 2017
Solo il carisma di Liam Neeson salva un film come Taken, dove le scene d'azione sono talmente caotiche che fanno venire il mal di mare. La sceneggiatura piuttosto mediocre e a tratti quasi ridicola, con dialoghi veramente di basso livello e scene incoerenti e poco realistiche. Il montaggio la parte peggiore del film, troppo repentino e veloce, lontanissimo dagli spettacolari tagli che hanno reso famosa la trilogia di Jason Bourne. Nonostante un mare di difetti, spegnendo il cervello si riesce ad apprezzare il film per quello che , semplice e puro divertimento da pop corn.