Tampopo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tampopo Reviews

½ January 26, 2017
I think the name says it all !? ' (C)
½ January 21, 2017
"Everybody has their own ladder". Climbing that ladder to make the best ramen in Japan. Feel-good movie. Warmly recommend it :)
½ December 21, 2016
great noodles are hard to come by
December 5, 2016
5 Stars. This just shot to the top of my favorite foodie films. Incredible.
November 26, 2016
A crazy commentary on food and sex, with a surprisingly tangential feminist main story.
November 16, 2016
Lovely humorous 80s noodle-western.
½ November 3, 2016
A rich and delectable "food western" from Juzo Itami that steadily supplies laughter and sumptuous imagery. Itami approaches his narrative with a sense for experimentation that might give Jean-Luc Godard whiplash, but the film's seemingly tangential trajectories never feel gratuitous. There are just so many great scenarios present here (Best. Food. Sex. Ever!), and it's hard to think of another movie that uses iris dissolves to such great comedic effect as Tampopo. It is a dish best described as such: it's very Asian cuisine, with enough western spicing to really give it its own unique flavor.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
Tampopo is a light-hearted feel-good comedy with a heavy focus on making a winning bowl of ramen and setting up a great shop. There were quite a few bits I found to be random which were probably cultural references but if you are amused by randomness then you'll find they flow in with the rest of the general wackiness. While I don't rate it quite on the level of Cantonese comedies such as the God of Cookery, Tampopo is still a fun view.
July 24, 2015
Man I really need to eat some ramen rn
½ June 3, 2015
Ramen noodle soup for the soul
May 9, 2015
a work of genius. A spaghetti eastern which manages to be funny, profound and reflective all at the same time.
October 19, 2014
This passable comedy, punctuated with vignettes of food-centered skits, is about the titular heroine learning to make the best noodles from an unlikely posse of food critics, a truck driver, a gangster, a vagabond and a chauffeur.
October 9, 2014
A quirky, comic, inventive anthology film about food, most especially noodles. Love it.
½ September 20, 2014
While offering deliciously quirky humor and eclectic side stories as side dish, Tampopo apparently still stucks with old age Japanese sexism. Although subtly presented, Tampopo ends up as a one-dimensional woman who can't survive by herself. Her son also ends up as a stereotypical Japanese victim of bully.
July 23, 2014
Awesome Awesome Awesome! A great representation of our world, our community, and our soul.

Like a bowl of Ramen, this film teaches is that we can not be whole, without our parts.
July 21, 2014
6,5/10
Some weird shit
½ July 15, 2014
Had to stop the film halfway to go eat ramen!
June 24, 2014
ultimate foodie flic
½ June 1, 2014
strange comedy of sorts
March 27, 2014
It's the Pulp Fiction of Japanese noodle westerns.