Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie Reviews

½ May 16, 2019
The 1990 time frame is perfect for this movie. NYC was dark, gritty, crime ridden, but not third-world like Tim Burton's overdone Batman Returns. You get vintage Jim Henson, no CGI, all physical grips, an authentic soundtrack, a cast that meshes (the drop off of April O'Neil is immediately noticeable in Secret of the Ooze for example).

But what carries this movie is the strength of the story. There is real history between Shredder and Splinter, there is a reason he is a villain past mindless destruction. The turtles are not overpowered hero's like your average Marvel movie. Things don't work out easily, Raph gets beat to an inch of his life and thrown through a skylight, all four turtles get beat one-on-one with Shredder, Splinter is chained to a chain-link fence and left to whither, Casey and April are at each other's throats, Danny hurting and stealing from people who is forced to face himself.

The direction they went after this movie was to over-cartoon the characters and plot: ramp up the jokes, tone down the violence, overplay the love for pizza, brighter color pallet.
May 5, 2019
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
February 20, 2019
This movie displays Turtle Power.
½ February 18, 2019
Okay, so I was a bit young to have been of the right group for Turtle-Mania, so, I went in without nostalgia. As such, I must say, for such a (to an outsider, at least) mind-numbingly dumb-sounding concept on paper, it's... actually surprisingly quite fun? Really ridiculous and kinda stupid, of course, and quite dated with all the late-80s/early-90s slang and aesthetics, but better (and darker) than expected (and I really wasn't expecting much). Huh. Not gonna be everyone's cup of tea by any stretch of the imagination, but I was never bored, and that's really the best one can hope for from pure popcorn entertainment.

Of course, special mention must be made to the (as usual) excellent work of Jim Henson's Creature Shop; always a delight to see their work.
February 13, 2019
Perhaps nostalgia blinds me, but the original Ninja Turtles movie entertains no matter how many times I see it.
January 20, 2019
Like the fans, I'll never understand why critics hate this movie, because it was fucking awesome!
December 21, 2018
Saw this in a packed theater in 1990. Movie was violent and that's why it was so much better than the other films.
December 4, 2018
It may have some bad jokes but it has some cool music and some funny ones TMNT is what we call a classic whether or not you like it
December 3, 2018
I haven't seen any of the cartoons or read any of the comics, but I really enjoyed this movie. It's fun and has a dark tone that I really like (even if the sequels would get rid of that). It has lots of awesome action scenes that make this movie great.
November 14, 2018
They don´┐ 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)t make them like they use to. A true classic. How live action movies are suppose to be made.
November 2, 2018
As good to watch now in 2018 as it was in the 90's. My kids love it too.
½ October 29, 2018
The turtles are so big it's almost retarded
October 7, 2018
As a kid it had a creepy dark vibe to it, kind would scare me. but I loved it .
September 25, 2018
I haven't SEEN this movie in years. It always bored me as a kid compared to the second movie, but now I can APPRECIATE some of the more dramatic or slower-paced moments.
August 8, 2018
This film was the perfect mixture to give every fan what they truly deserved. Was the writing phenomenal? No. However the screenwriters were tasked with merging the cartoon into the comic book and managed to pull it off successfully. This stood as the most successful independent film until Pulp Fiction came along.

It also taught a fair amount of respect to the youth. The entire subplot of the film is finding togetherness and sticking by your family. The boys love for their father fuels their journey and with the help of two new friends they must stop an entire city from falling apart. It made it cool to love your parents. There's actual story there and meanwhile Mamma Mia has a 54%.

The fact that the "critic" score is 40% says alot about the people doing those reviews. There's more to a film than wether or not YOU were entertained. There were great voice actors, fantastic set choices, genius marketing, The Henson Company, and just the right amount of balance between comedy and drama. Almost 30 years later it stands as one of the best films to watch with and teach your children.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie deserves at least a 70%
½ August 7, 2018
I grew up in the height of turtle mania, I remember seeing the theatrical trailer in the cinema and being totally mesmerised! They couldn't have made this film a lot better then they did.
The thing I like about it the most is it's actually quite a dark film considering it's aimed at children. The whole Splinter being kidnapped scene was quite dramatic. There also some great comedy scenes and they work well with the serious scenes.
The cast were all good but Elias Koteas was brilliant as Casey Jones. The addition of Corey Feldman being the voice of Donatello was excellent. The Jim Henson team did a great job on the turtles and Splinter and I thought the Shredder looked and sounded amazing.
I think this is a great film which suffered at the hands of over the top parents who condemned it for its violent scenes. What you got as a result of this were two terrible sequels.
July 21, 2018
One of the best movies ever - except for the second, which is even better. This is film making at it's very best, and I'll argue with anyone who says differently. They don't make stuff this good anymore, and for the 90's this was crazy good at the time. Everyone loved this movie, even my sister who didn't like Ninja Turtles. This movie was the start of something that was great until the 3rd movie, when Hollywood took a crap on the franchise.
July 15, 2018
One of the most overrated movies ive ever seen. Its things like this that make ME very angry that Ghostbusters 2 is like 20% below this. Its okay for the time but its was never that good... TO ME
June 12, 2018
classic guilty pleasure. this movie is bad in many ways. i still love it. i laugh a lot, at some intentionally funny parts and some unintentionally hilarious dumbness. it's such an 80s movie just one year out of place. half of the music was awesome, half was super dated and cheesy. i liked how fun they are, but sometimes they went a little too far with the goofiness. the suits look really good and the story was surprisingly competent. a childhood favorite (about 5 viewings)