Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie Reviews

½ September 3, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an overall fun kid-friendly action yarn that tells the tale of four mutated turtles who are raised in the sewer by a mutated rat. When they realize that a threatening force is at work making mayhem of New York City they, with the aide of a local news reporter (Judith Hoag) and a rogue petty thief (Elias Koteas) work to put a stop to the madness. Filled with great creature effects from the Jim Henson Company it may well wear on your patience if you are an adult; but for kids it is still a treat.
August 22, 2017
A nostalgic favorite that still holds up, surprisingly.
August 17, 2017
An entertaining movie that easily updates the kids show into a solid film adaptation with enough juvenile humor, social commentary and pizza to satisfy any person who can get past the dated costumes and graphics.
July 21, 2017
Before the Michael Bay-produced explosion-fests, there was this surprisingly better-than-average 1990s movie. It attempts a tricky attempt at balancing a dark tone in regards to its father-and-son themes with the turtles and Splinter as well as the Shredder and the teenagers that form part of the Foot Clan along with a series of witty, humorous one-liners to keep children entertained. It's not perfect but it's not terrible either. It has some flaws but I can still understand why this movie holds a special place inside the hearts of '90s kids. The martial arts sequences are well-choreographed, the humour can be funny at times and the animatronics look pretty impressive for its time, especially when you take into account, the film's small budget. Some of the good old-fashioned '90s cheesiness does weigh it down a bit but the humorous nature of its action sequences especially during that little Michelangelo and Foot Clan ninja doing their little weapon-presentation-thingy and father-son themes help make it a shell of a good time. *tumbleweed goes rolling along the ground* I'll let myself out :(
July 15, 2017
Bit of a laugh that people call it a commercial then compare it to the cartoon which was five or six years of toy commercials.
Still one of, if not THE best cartoon/comic live action movie ever made.
½ July 9, 2017
By far the best TMNT movie, classic goodness.
June 22, 2017
The critic rating is a bit harsh, as the original TMNT film had a somber tone at times that removed much of the cheesiness that the rest of the franchise films suffer from. This was the most cinematic of the films, and the only one I would ever consider watching again.
½ June 20, 2017
A fun adventure. If you liked the cartoon, you'll like this one

7.8/10
½ June 16, 2017
Forget the reboot, this is a timeless classic!
June 11, 2017
Puts the new one to shame, makes you appreciate this original even more after watching the new re-make. 1990 version is the bomb!
June 7, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles combines the best elements of both the grittier comics and goofier animated series, and offers fun Martial Arts sequences and top notch FX by Jim Henson.
June 6, 2017
The best adaptation of the turtles to this day. Blends the humor and silliness of the cartoon with the dark edgy tone of the comic.
May 30, 2017
The best Ninja Turtles movie by far. Period.
May 28, 2017
I can re watch this movie till this day, and still Love it! In my opinion is shows a good way of what the 90s were like. of course there were technical moments and some acting that was stale. But this movie is childhood!
May 25, 2017
The definitive Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. An all-time favorite of mine. How can you not love it? (First viewing - Childhood)
May 24, 2017
One of my all time favorites. I still watch and enjoy this movie to this day. Other than the, admittedly dated, puppeteering effects this movie still holds up. At it's core it's about family, and brotherhood. There is no outrageous plot to destroy the world that the turtles must stop. They just want to find their father. It's a personal story. The Shredder comes across as a real threat, without the aid of bumbling sidekicks that plague every other iteration of TMNT.
May 3, 2017
No way not good at all not surprised by having it be a bad movie
April 2, 2017
Not great by any means, but fun to watch if you're a kid. I certainly enjoyed watching the Turtles beat up Shredder, and most likely you will too.
March 21, 2017
first up why the hell dose this have a 40% as of march 21 the tmnt movies haven't been nearly as good as the show but that still means I agree with most people that tis is the best it doesn't have a 1 highlight but instead multiple in my opion action istnt the best but character development and comedy is what most people agree is what makes it good, 80 out of 100
½ March 16, 2017
Despite its campiness, the origanal TMNT (1990) is far from bad. This is a fun, enjoyable, and overall good movie.