Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie Reviews

November 22, 2016
The critics are morons. This is a great movie. The dynamics between the turtles are perfect, and the human characters are also engaging. It's just a lot of fun.
½ November 5, 2016
This movie sucked. It pissed me off , them big forehead , samurai turtle looking ass. Graphics sucked, effects were not good , id rather pluck each one of my hairs on my head than give this movie a 5 star.
½ October 21, 2016
So 90s! A very fun kids' movie that I still enjoy.
½ October 19, 2016
A surprisingly well done transition from comic to cartoon series to live action cinema. The look of the film is dark, gritty with some directorial style to give the film a distinct personality. There is also a thoughtful focus on the human characters that don't dumb down the dialogue and mature tone that was given.

The turtles are what you'd expect them to be which is totally gnarly ninja dudes who use colorful banter to full effect. Some could say that they undermine the darker tone, but if you know the source material then its expected and welcome. You know what you're in for.... besides why change something that worked so well in the first place for the sake of being dark?

April O Niel and Casey Jones help support the 4 main mutants and are entertaining themselves. Holy crap was Shredder well done. He was like a ninja Darth Vader. He reminded us why he was such a good villain on the cartoon show.

This is a worthy adaptation of the source material treated with some care for fans and and filmgoers of all ages. It is cheesy and has moments of juvenile hijinx, but it also has heart, humor, visual artistry, and crowd pleasing fun to match all the impressive martial arts. I may be nostalgic, but this will live on for generations to come.
½ October 11, 2016
Checked it out of pure nostalgia. Some of the worst childish shit Ive ever seen, topping cheesieness in almost every scene, just plain horrible.
September 4, 2016
This is quite possibly the greatest movie ever made. As a standalone film it has defined what we know as the turtles by mixing elements of dark and light moments. This film is the ninja turtles. The effects are fantastic. The fights are great. The comedy funny. The drama exciting. And splinter has some of the best lines in film history. Time to recognize people. Cowabunga!!
August 20, 2016
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles combines the best elements of both the grittier comics and goofier animated series, and offers fun Martial Arts sequences and top notch FX by Jim Henson.
August 16, 2016
This is a timeless, perfect film that is perfect for Ninja Turtles fans as well as those who wish to be Ninja Turtles fans!
August 12, 2016
I didn't think it was as good as TMNT but definately a classic, I adore this movie.
August 11, 2016
A coming of age film with growing pains and valuing of family at the most dangerous times. I love the character development throughout of the turtles wether it was Raphael realizing he needs his brothers to overcome his anger demons to Leonardo becoming a true leader for his brothers. The plot is simple and story ends up becoming a cliche of jealousy. Overall the movie delivers on the aspects of growing up and reaching your destiny to become who they were meant to be.
jamrcla
August 11, 2016
Pretty good for its year, Full of funny moments most of them are silly, The fight scenes were good fun but the story is abit silly, Kids will like it and that's all this film goes for.
July 18, 2016
Though not perfect, it is still the best Turtles movie ever made. They borrowed some of the lightheartedness from the show as well as some of the darker elements from the comics. And it works together pretty well. Even though the acting was off there were still some good costumes. I'm sure that if they made this today they would have even better costumes (but Michael Bay owns them now). It's a lot of fun to watch to bring back the nostalgia of the classic ninja team. Cowabunga!
July 2, 2016
Even if I wasn't a 80's or 90's kid, this movie has a special place in my heart. Jim Henson did a great job on the costumes for the turtles and today still look realistic. If you haven't seen this movie go watch it NOW!!!!
COWABUNGA!!!
June 24, 2016
Warm hearted and fun for the whole family, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie" is deep at its core.

Four teenage mutant ninja turtles, Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, and Donatello, live under the streets of NYC, prowling around in the sewers. When activities of the foot clan start to arise and they befriend a human, they'll find themselves up against an entire crime wave and a powerful foe. Along the way, they'll learn what it truly means to be a family.

Now, I went into this film not expecting much, if anything at all. With all the new Ninja Turtle films coming out, all I've heard is just how great the original was. I just chalked that up to a whole bunch of adults in love with this nostalgic flick, unable to recognize if it was actually quality. To my surprise, this film was a lot better than expected.

The best thing I can say about this movie was the direction it brought itself in. The directors and writers knew what they wanted this movie to be about and they were able to create one central vision for the film itself. There was this clear cut family dynamic in the film and there was no doubt that there was a lesson to be learned here. Not only did the turtles learn a valuable lesson, but they focused on the message of what it means to be a family. I really enjoyed their attempt at relaying that message, and although it's not the most powerful thing in the world, it was nice to see that extra depth.

One thing I've always loved was the four ninja turtles. I truly think they're some of the best characters out there and they never fail to make me laugh. Although there was more humor from the turtles in the newest adaptations, I still enjoyed the turtles here. This was basically all practical effects and the turtles didn't look so bad. It worked for the film and each turtle had their own distinctive personality. I watch these films for the turtles alone and I had a blast watching them come to life on the big screen.

The story is fun in its own right, but is overall pretty weak. Yes, there is a narrative here and it can be exciting at times, but there was nothing special about it. Actually, when watching this film, I realized just how much plot points the new film took from this film, except this film did it much better. There was a lot more effort put into the narrative here and although it's nowhere near perfect, it's still an enjoyable story for what it is.

There are plenty of cringe worthy moments in this film, whether it's the corny one liners, awkward origins, cringy acting, or over the top fights, there will be plenty of moments to roll your eyes in. I'm not saying it wasn't enjoyable, because it was, but there will be some noticeably bad moments in here that not all will be able to overlook.

In the end, I actually found myself enjoying this film. It has its problems for sure but take this movie for what it is and you'll have a pretty fun time with it.
June 20, 2016
A campy romp through a world where mutant turtles match wits with an evil corrupt villain and his henchmen.
June 18, 2016
Puts the new one to shame, makes you appreciate this original even more after watching the new re-make. 1990 version is the bomb!
June 17, 2016
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the first live-action film that's based on the comic books by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, and it's about the introduction to the turtles, their master Splinter, April O'Nell, and the villains the Foot Clan with the mastermind Shredder. It had been years since I've watched this movie, and I always remember it being the best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie that I've seen to this day so far, and I still have the same opinion of it still when I watched it recently, even if it's not perfect. The actors who play the turtles like Corey Feldman, Josh Pais, Robbie Rist, and Brian Tochi are great in this as it seems that they got the turtles down. The puppets from Jim Henson's Creature Shop is very impressive that I'll believe this over the CGI turtles from Platinum Dunes. Judith Hoag is a much better April O'Nell than Megan Fox, and Elias Koteas is a more intimidating Casey Jones than Stephen Amell as Casey Jones. Most of the characters are memorable, although I would like to see a bit more personalities from the turtles. There are some lines that were very corny, but there are a lot of funny moments, and it doesn't act like a cartoon film. The fight scenes are impressive since the people that have to be in big costumes have to choreograph the fights. Although I would've liked to see Splinter vs Shredder, it felt anticlimactic to me, although it's not quite anticlimactic as he faced the turtles which is nice to watch. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a great movie that it'll entertain the kids and the adults.
June 17, 2016
The perfect movie adaptation of a franchise there could ever be.
June 13, 2016
Way better than the attempts they're putting out now a days. This is an all time favorite of mine.
June 12, 2016
I freely admit that the main reason that I love the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is because of my nostalgia towards it. I was a turtle fan when I was a kid and I was excited out of my skull when I heard that there was going to be a live action movie. I loved it then, and I still love it now. But as an adult, I can now be a bit more objective about it and not be so precious about it. It's actually one of the best comic book movies ever made, in my opinion. However, I never considered it to be a very family-friendly movie and I've never understood why it's still marketed that way on home video. There are plenty of more family-friendly incarnations of the turtles out there, and this isn't one of them. It's dark, violent, brooding, and has an overall tone to it that doesn't really scream family fun (at least to me). But as an adult, it makes it more enjoyable and helps it to hold up more than it would otherwise. It's also a direction that the recent 2014 remake took, and it's for the better, overall. But the original film is where it's at for me. They did it right the first time and they did it well.