Tex Reviews

• Sep 15, 2020

Not bad, but I can't honestly say I enjoyed 'Tex'. It's too forced for my liking. I didn't feel a connection to the characters, nor did I really rate the performances of the cast. The premise isn't super watchable either. All just very meh, to be honest. Matt Dillon is OK in the main role of Tex, though it is safe to say his acting - thankfully - improved as he got older; as seen in 'Wayward Pines'. I can't say any of the other cast members did anything to remember. Not quite good enough, all in all.

• Jul 14, 2020

The story has already been done to death.

The story has already been done to death.

• Apr 08, 2020

An endearing story of a young man and his love of horses. S.E. Hinton's novel is adapted into a delightfully good film about Tex (Matt Dillon), a teen living with his brother (Jim Metzler). This family drama is still a good and lighthearted coming of age tale.

• Mark H Super Reviewer
    Jan 13, 2019

Some movies feel small, almost forgettable, yet authentic and well-made. Tex is a movie that feels real. It's not profound or self-important. It's about a 15 year old kid in Oklahoma trying to find his way in the world, as he struggles with poverty, puberty and growing up. The movie is based on a book by young author S.E. Hinton, and she somehow hits the nail right on the head again with a portrait of dusty, rural youth and the normal stuff most of us go through. Tex is poor, his mother having died when he was 3 and his father being absent or irresponsible. He is raised mostly by his much more mature older brother, Mason. Their relationship, and the pain Tex goes through when Mason sells his horse, feels real. Of course, no one knew at the time that this cast (Dillon, Estevez and Tilly) would all become young stars. Even Metzler, who plays Mason, earned a Golden Globe nomination for his role. The acting is solid, the backdrop feels authentic and vast. Heartbreak, first love, hitchhiking tragedy, and drug deals gone bad are all featured. A lot happens to Tex in this movie, but Matt Dillon handles it with aplomb. Just a solid character study of poor kids in OK dealing with not fitting in, trying to survive and the challenges of growing up.

• Dec 21, 2016

Well done - Early Matt Dillon.

Well done - Early Matt Dillon.

• Mar 26, 2014

Out of the three S.E. Hinton novels that hit the screen in the early 80's this is still the best, artless and earnest. Matt Dillon gives his first real performance alongside Jim Metzler as the older brother who tries his best.

• Nov 12, 2012

Really enjoyed this. Well most stories set in rural America rarely disappoint. An engaging story of two brothers dealing with each other in a world on their own.

• Sep 26, 2012

Another great S.E Hinton story

Another great S.E Hinton story

• Adam M Super Reviewer
    Jun 20, 2011

Matt Dillon has never been more subtly expressive and transparent, and maybe only funnier in Singles; Jim Meltzer is actually funny here as a straight man; there is some great camerawork and lighting. S.E. Hinton seems to be dealing with more Judy-Blume type issues here, so the movie works like a neorealist afterschool special.

• Apr 29, 2011

A pretty good one. Hahahs, always something similar happening to Matt Dillon's character in the S.E. Henton novel based films.