Thale Reviews

skactopus
February 2, 2013
Alexsander Nordaas has got the mystery going in Thale.The film itself only runs an hour and 15 minutes, and considering a bulk of the film consists of 3 characters in a shed, that would seem pretty appropriate. The story does hold a lot of interest, although the pacing tends to be a bit slow and the plot details not as fulfilling as the film concept.The fantasy element is held to a minimum on screen. The CG isn't the greatest, but it's not the worst either. It's probably for the best that it's used conservatively.Silje Reinamo is quite the attractive lure on screen. She has absolutely no dialogue to deliver, but with all her screen time and for what she is asked to do, she gets it done. Erlend Nevold and Jon Sigve Skard provide the dialogue as two clean up crew members that end up on a job that revolves around folklore.For a low budget mysterious fantasy out of Norway, Thale is worth the check out.
July 31, 2013
Interesting idea that sadly runs out of steam too quickly.
February 1, 2014
An equal mix of fantasy and horror, the Norwegian horror film Thale is a truly original film that examines the nature of identity and love. A very character-driven film, Thale deals with two characters trying to make sense of the impossible and one fantastical being trying to make sense of the so-called "normal" world. A film that will continue to surprise you as it explores the interaction between the basic, quotidian good of humanity and evil corporate forces that seek to milk the good for their own ends, Thale delights from beginning to end even if it never manages to quite elevate its plot the levels that it could have.
June 1, 2015
This was definitely a weird little movie. The cast of characters fits in one hand and most of the movie is shot in this one bunker location. I couldn't get any sort of captioning on this movie, which I believe is Norwegian. It would have nice to know what the two guys were talking about near the end of the movie.
April 12, 2015
I'm surprised this doesn't have better reviews. It's a really interesting little movie. My only real complaint is that I wish it had been a little bit longer and fleshed out a little more.
January 24, 2015
Looks like the director forgot what he was trying to accomplish toward the end of the movie. Left me lost at the end.
October 14, 2014
Creepy and beautiful
August 16, 2014
Great - but the movies universe should expand - Thale 2 :)
August 13, 2014
One of the best films I've watched in a long time and I'm not a fan of horror. Exellent acting, excellent story.
½ April 5, 2013
Outstanding performances and assured editing. The movie has flaws and isn't quite as good it the latter half, but the first half or so is a lesson in how to make a low budget movie tick. It's gripping. (And the latter half is perfectly respectable, it just doesn't quite reach the high bar set in the first half.)
½ June 2, 2014
They had the right idea but simply lacked the budget and resources to pull it off!
½ May 18, 2014
Nowhere near as good as it thinks it is and painfully dreary in places. This fantasy plods through with the odd smattering of scares but it's neither one thing or the other and it's not good enough to be remembered just for its weirdness.
May 14, 2014
They don't make movies like this, anymore... and it's a shame! Cerebral, slow-paced, creepy yet full of wonder, I was sad when this movie ended! No one, to the best of my knowledge, has ever put the hulder-folk in a film, before!

If you like fast-paced action films that cater to attention-deficits, this movie will bore you. If you like a film with depth, that unfolds at its own pace and embodies the real heart of ancient magic - the fear and wonder of the unknown - then you will absolutely love it.
February 26, 2014
Waste of time, and no explanations.
½ April 22, 2013
Starts off with a decent story premise and then just kinda sits in a room with early 90s style flashbacks, and early 90s cgi.
August 10, 2013
An interesting mythology-infused Norwegian Suspense/Horror. The atmosphere is very well crafted even if the movie doesn't deliver on the scares. Fortunately it also defies most of hte horror cliches and tropes and brings a breath of fresh, suspenseful air to a genre that direly needs it.
August 9, 2013
Thale has a very unique concept but it probably could have been better. So I wouldn't really go that far to call it a masterpiece. If you are a horror fan or a fan of supernatural movies and/or movies with a bit of B-movie charm, You might find this enjoyable. However, It's a foreign language movie and it's dubbed so expect some cheesiness here and there.
½ July 1, 2013
Considering the budget and stacking it against general horror movies that get churned out by the minute, Thale is fairly decent albeit a bit inept in almost every area. First of all marketing it as a horror movie is a little misleading as there are no real elements of horror, it is more a dark fantasy film. Pacing was a huge issue here, as despite the incredibly brief runtime (just a little over an hour) so many scenes and shots of nothing were stretched to the fullest extent of my patience. Some scenes were so strangely paced it felt like perhaps they would have been slow motion but they just didn't have the budget for it, or perhaps the characters in the film are all just really really slow. The story and character development is a little forced but I'll give it credit for being more developed than the average B film. You hardly have time to give a shit about anyone besides Thale, the most interesting character in the film, especially one of the co-leads in the film who for some reason NEVER STOPS CHEWING. If a little more time had been spent on the story or backstory instead of the needless CGI creatures and boring unlikeable characters, this would have been a real indie gem. The actress and character of Thale herself is highly captivating, a little haunting, and the cinematography in some scenes is very well done. Unfortunately most other scenes are incredibly cheap looking, and I would say the biggest flaw of the film is it's unevenness in all areas. It's watchable but not exactly recommendable, and it could have been so much better, but it's not terrible, it definitely holds its ground in the middle of the road.