Thank You for Smoking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

November 10, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
When what everybody in the business do is get the product & message out to get the big dollars. When what others do represent the worst in bad products people can't help but like. When others do the same they suffer consequences. While there are others who do differently when some dangerous products need to be stopped, limited to access, and researched and labelled properly to get the message out. When what we do is argue with people's perspectives in what they do when doing something shouldn't be a problem. When we have others helping us to do what they do best bend the rules, reality, disprove as we do. When doing something that there is no law in not doing existent we do what we do best win approvals from all current, past and future smokers to do wghat gthey like. When we know who to point fingers in what they do, but unsure what we do when our job is not getting you to do anything, but telling you nothing is wrong in doing what you want to do. When we live in a system where doing is prohibited and unprohibited we make do with what little wiggle room we have, doing what people want to do and doing what we want to do when everybody wins. When not everybody likes doing what they do when it gets them killed we don't really focus on what we can't do, but what others can do. When we work closely with other groups that bring in the big dollars from other indulgences people like to do to say doing them is great. When others do what we do when it's getting someone famous to do our product to indorse it, when it's embedded in their ways of good. When we see finding ways to make ourselves look good we do just about anything to do it. When what others do is get out of what others want us to do, when they ain't going to win without a fight. When doing a greater good and holding the vary thing that does that we automatically indorse what we believe in doing that others should do the same. When what others do they need to step in in what we do when they know front hand what we do is wrong, but we don't care when we are off the clock. When what we do others do when somethings we do is under attack and closer scope to end. When some wars we cant lose to rally our troops and do what we do best inspire. When what others do they inspire us when we have been doing this for not long but other people have been doing for quite along time. When there is a long history, society, lifestyle and people that keep what we do still going to constantly keep reimagining and inventing new ways to make our product look good. When what others do they make sure others don't do again, win arguments. When we see we are fighting the next generation to do what we want them to do to work on something new. When what we do is find little wiggle room in fitting what we want others to do to make others do when everybody likes being stars. When what others do is deflect when blame is not always 100% to push around.

When what we have to do we do when others are no match for what we do to only give them what others do best think the worst in why we continue to do what we do to give them everything they have already heard already. Whether we do it or don't do it is speculation which means we still on top. When everything we do others do when it works. When what others do they are on top of what others do to do the opposite when some jobs and lifestyles make us do what we like and others like about us. When we can't do what others do, to only get them to do what we want which doesn't effect us, when we are not doing anything. When what others do they want more when they know what others want us to do to do it. When what others do they they can't undo when it's killing them to only do the next best thing show them a token of gratitude which also can do for a bribe.

When what we got to do, webknowvwe can't do when it goes against everything we do to get those to do what they want when that's not what they want to do, when they want to kill us. When what we do is just a living we are good at, to do it with no heart & soul. When what we do others do when we know they will do as we tell them to do. When we know what others will do to take full control of what they intend to do and show them what they should be doing. When what others do we tell them they don't do a great job when they try to make do with what's wrong to create a new wrong in their actions. When what we do wrong others need to make it right by doing us wrong, when it's fair. When what we do we know we get you to do when asking you to do other things you rather do our thing, which is your thing. When what others do they try to find ways in what we do is wrong to only make us public enemies. When we know what we do is wrong to not agree and have to think about whom we are doing wrong and how many. When what others say they will do they do when others need to stop, we show them a message. When some messages others do backfire when perspectives is tricky when victimization is not doable. When what we don't intend to do we make do when it works to our advantage. When we what others do, they use to their advantage when we don't see what they do to tarnish us when we are not looking. When what we do or intend not to do is show we are part of something bigger when what we do with others in our field we are not allowed to show we are influencing. When we do alot to not have others see what we do, to have everyone see it and we can't do anything about it. When we know the side effects in what we do to experience it first hand to know it kills us. When what others can't no longer do is persuade a dieing lifestyle that no one sees worth doing when there is plenty to read about that says not to do that we can't recover from. When others see what we do when it's sort of seen as entertaining to have a cool title named off of us. When there is a growing unethical fields in what others do that we know is wrong to know there is another way in, in what we know how to do. When what we and others can't do is give up their rights when it's American. When there is plenty to go on, in what our product can do when everything is early when more testing has shown what we can do is push another worse thing from doing, when doing our product is for health purposes. When what we do is weight our product in comparison with other products that we think offer the same side effects but not be judged on quantity but civil liberty to not show negative signs. When what we do is make others believe to believe in what we do when it's not bad, that we see others want us longer to do for along time. When what we do we know we can't do for long to give up when we have other things to do when we have responsibility. When we managed to do somethings on time to change what we do and focus on other things we know we can do just as easily the same way. When we are good at what we do what we talk people into what to do.
******************************************
The people behind the face of an industry. Gets away with just about anything, people that handle all what cripples an unethical industry. some unethical industries don't last when government intervenes. trying just about anything, on all aspects trying to convince there is nothing wrong, harmful, with scientific proof from biased doctors, lawyers they hire. money pays for the best loop holes. able to put ethical people to like unethical things, by labeling it's not that harmful as people might think.
distorting facts, evidence, by having a convincing argument. no room for negotiation.

turning a blind eye on the ethics of what you represent. requiring a fond reminder what pushes you to continue and not the negative aspects.

what gets these people hooked and addicted to smoking. with every product there is a competitor and deregulator. limiting the process and practice indulgence altogether when there is costly side effects.
constantly looking back at the statistics and charts for answers and solutions.
capitalizing on other industries and merging withbthem, from movie theatres, characters, role models.
knowing your clients, picking 1 client pays when they do it longterm. the captain self made man, the filter to a product, the secret sauce/ingredient. your enemies of mow but your best customer later.
The product is worth it's reputation, that it travels word or mouth and travels literally across the world. removing the filter with an argument.
Art, koi fish, wines, all products surrounded by an industry and competition with a high price value.
Knowing who your target audience wants, where they would definitely dish money to.
synergy or debate the two arguments right/wrong. the perks of being the representative for your company, may come with some side effects.
money solves everything, playing both sides of the field, by making everyone win when your tricking and controlling the situation.
Getting into deep has its side effects.
Digging deep to get the truth from a liar. digging deep to a product and practice that makes you feel good you stand up for. with every negative side effects there are positive effects.
What is the industry you represent, a place for people to exercise choice, whether it's a personal choice, private, business, hobby, recreational, & celebratory.
slapping a big smiley face on any product from the government, that steers people to choose the healthy alternative. good guts finish last.
November 3, 2017
Bitingly clever. Unforgettable.
October 25, 2017
without doubt Eckhart's best performance to date......also an alternate universe twoface movie that didn't happen :p
October 13, 2017
It's a really smart, shocking, clever but cynical comedy. It reverses the character roles, the guy who seems like the bad guy is the good guy and vice versa. It's a really good film, and I highly recommend it.
½ October 6, 2017
Great dramatization of actual people and company?s real focus.
August 12, 2017
One of the best non PC movies.
½ August 1, 2017
This is Eckharts show and he is well up to the task playing a lobbyist for cigarettes. Featuring a full A list cast, Eckhart shows his acting chops by shining brightest. He's a smooth talker, and his absurd reasoning somehow makes sense. It's a movie that basically focuses solely on the character and their interactions, and I really dug most of the scenes. The film was very stylish and it was shot very well. I laughed a lot during the film, while also realizing the important message the movie has of reinvention of ones self. While the film is a fast paced, funny look at the tobacco industry, I was not fully blown away to the point of impacted. A very solid film that is worth a look.
July 11, 2017
This is the way comedies should be made, in an intelligent, emotional and somewhat meaningful way. Making us laugh, think and care in the same time.
½ May 5, 2017
With a solid performance from Aaron Eckhart and offering us a deliciously clever commentary on rhetoric, Reitman's debut is an enjoyable satire - even though it must have looked real nice on paper but doesn't really work that well on the screen (especially its sense of humor).
April 15, 2017
It is really difficult to take a topic as heavy as the effects of smoking on the American public and turn it into a great comedy. But this movie pulls it off.
April 11, 2017
Movie about a liar who goes around telling people that cigarettes are not bad for you. Smiling and laughing behind your back. Personally, I hated it for that very reason. I wanted to punch the guy in the face really bad. Just nothing about this I enjoyed.
½ April 8, 2017
A slyly beguiling burlesque lampooning the tobacco lobby that advocates the art of devious argument and provokes thoughts on banning other potential health hazards like cheese.
½ April 4, 2017
What I really love about Thank You For Smoking and what stands out the most about it is that it doesn't take any sides. It is neither a pro-smoking nor an anti-smoking film. It actually gives both sides to the argument and it allows you to decide for yourself. It is also very thought provoking and it sort of gave me another interesting side to the repetitive and combed over "smoking is bad" argument.

Nick Naylor is a tobacco lobbyist and the vice-president of a tobacco lobby known as the "Academy of Tobacco Studies". The people who work there have been researching the effects of tobacco smoking and lung cancer for 15 years. They claim that their research (which is mostly funded by tobacco companies) have found no correlation whatsoever of lung cancer being a side effect. Nick Naylor is challenged to convince as many people as possible not to smoke. One of the people he has to get by is the Senator of Vermont, Ortolan Finistirre, who is really anti-smoking.

The fact that this film doesn't take any sides is what makes it so special. The film is focused more on Nick Naylor and the arguments he used in the movie which were far ahead of the time when it came out. This film makes fun of both sides of the tobacco industry. The finale when Nick Naylor goes up against Ortolan Finistirre is the best scene in the film. It allows you to see smoking in a different way and it is one of the most thought provoking scenes I've ever seen in cinema. It's timeless.

Also, to say that its plot is daring is an understatement. It's very shocking in a way that the characters who promote smoking and try to get more people to do the act of it are the good guys, and the characters such as the senator who try to promote good health are labeled as the bad guys in the film. Also, the film says that big corporations are good and large body counts leads to long lasting friendships. These portions of its plot make it stand out amongst most comedies and this makes it a very smart film.

Also, the movie actually got me to dislike that senator who was trying to promote good health with a burning passion. Overall, I felt like the senator was wasting his time trying to put pictures on cigarette packages. I think this because I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of everyone who smokes has at one point heard that smoking is bad for you. That hasn't stopped them from smoking so I don't think that Senator Ortolan Finistirre's plan would decrease the amount of smokers that much. I'm not a smoker, but if I wanted to start, I wouldn't be persuaded not to do so just by looking at the pictures on the boxes. The warning labels we already have are just fine. Also, I felt that Nick did a much better job in his debates with him because he made his point more firm and sometimes, his points were so good that the Senator couldn't think of anything to say after he made his point. Also, the senator often spent more time in the debates asking him questions which weren't that good instead of disagreeing with things he said before. I won't spoil what the Senator does at the very end of the movie because it is really funny but he appears to lose his mind by the end.

If a movie has me liking a character trying to convince others to smoke and if it has me disliking a Senator trying to promote good health, I'd say that it definitely did something right. Some may argue whether this is a good or a bad thing, but I think that this is a good thing because it shows the many things that movies can do. I can't think of any other movie which has done this before.

Also, the acting is pretty great. Aaron Eckhart's performance as Nick Naylor is outstanding. He easily carries the whole movies as he is able to deliver his lines with a sense of courage and fearlessness when he is in debates with other people. When he goes up against big people, he treats it like it's just another day at the office. He was the only actor who impressed me, but that's not to say that the other actors did a bad job. They still did a good job as well. Adam Brody, William H. Brady, and J.K. Simmons were good actors too. However, they didn't have the same charm as Aaron Eckhart did in the film.

Like most great, underrated movies however, it's not without its flaws. The pacing can get to be a little tiresome near the middle of the film and some scenes can drag on a little too long, but this is about the only thing which bothered me and even when I felt a bit bored, the film always managed to suck me back in at the next scene.

In conclusion, Thank You For Smoking is a smart and entertaining comedy which will stick with you long after viewing it. It doesn't take any sides and it also has a thought provoking and well thought out meaning behind it. The acting is also pretty good as well. It may have a few drawn out scenes which can get tiresome, but this is a minor criticism on my part. This movie should be viewed by everyone. It is quite an experience to watch it just because it gives you another side of the argument which is very valid and thought provoking. It is a film which definitely flew under the radar.
½ March 11, 2017
Funny, caustic and clever writing. Competently acted by Aaron Eckhart and clever direction by Jason Reitman. He is an original.
September 7, 2016
Just a little cheesy
½ August 21, 2016
Why was one of the most shocking films in the new millennium overlooked? Can it be because nobody likes to see a film where somebody advertising pro-smoking? Well, it's a lot more than that. The movie has been all about freedom of choice, often providing certain arguments to prove a point. Some are very much relevant, others are quite forced. But in this sharp, satirical drama which never chooses a side, everyone is fair game.