Thank You for Smoking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

April 15, 2017
It is really difficult to take a topic as heavy as the effects of smoking on the American public and turn it into a great comedy. But this movie pulls it off.
April 11, 2017
Movie about a liar who goes around telling people that cigarettes are not bad for you. Smiling and laughing behind your back. Personally, I hated it for that very reason. I wanted to punch the guy in the face really bad. Just nothing about this I enjoyed.
½ April 8, 2017
A slyly beguiling burlesque lampooning the tobacco lobby that advocates the art of devious argument and provokes thoughts on banning other potential health hazards like cheese.
½ April 4, 2017
What I really love about Thank You For Smoking and what stands out the most about it is that it doesn't take any sides. It is neither a pro-smoking nor an anti-smoking film. It actually gives both sides to the argument and it allows you to decide for yourself. It is also very thought provoking and it sort of gave me another interesting side to the repetitive and combed over "smoking is bad" argument.

Nick Naylor is a tobacco lobbyist and the vice-president of a tobacco lobby known as the "Academy of Tobacco Studies". The people who work there have been researching the effects of tobacco smoking and lung cancer for 15 years. They claim that their research (which is mostly funded by tobacco companies) have found no correlation whatsoever of lung cancer being a side effect. Nick Naylor is challenged to convince as many people as possible not to smoke. One of the people he has to get by is the Senator of Vermont, Ortolan Finistirre, who is really anti-smoking.

The fact that this film doesn't take any sides is what makes it so special. The film is focused more on Nick Naylor and the arguments he used in the movie which were far ahead of the time when it came out. This film makes fun of both sides of the tobacco industry. The finale when Nick Naylor goes up against Ortolan Finistirre is the best scene in the film. It allows you to see smoking in a different way and it is one of the most thought provoking scenes I've ever seen in cinema. It's timeless.

Also, to say that its plot is daring is an understatement. It's very shocking in a way that the characters who promote smoking and try to get more people to do the act of it are the good guys, and the characters such as the senator who try to promote good health are labeled as the bad guys in the film. Also, the film says that big corporations are good and large body counts leads to long lasting friendships. These portions of its plot make it stand out amongst most comedies and this makes it a very smart film.

Also, the movie actually got me to dislike that senator who was trying to promote good health with a burning passion. Overall, I felt like the senator was wasting his time trying to put pictures on cigarette packages. I think this because I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of everyone who smokes has at one point heard that smoking is bad for you. That hasn't stopped them from smoking so I don't think that Senator Ortolan Finistirre's plan would decrease the amount of smokers that much. I'm not a smoker, but if I wanted to start, I wouldn't be persuaded not to do so just by looking at the pictures on the boxes. The warning labels we already have are just fine. Also, I felt that Nick did a much better job in his debates with him because he made his point more firm and sometimes, his points were so good that the Senator couldn't think of anything to say after he made his point. Also, the senator often spent more time in the debates asking him questions which weren't that good instead of disagreeing with things he said before. I won't spoil what the Senator does at the very end of the movie because it is really funny but he appears to lose his mind by the end.

If a movie has me liking a character trying to convince others to smoke and if it has me disliking a Senator trying to promote good health, I'd say that it definitely did something right. Some may argue whether this is a good or a bad thing, but I think that this is a good thing because it shows the many things that movies can do. I can't think of any other movie which has done this before.

Also, the acting is pretty great. Aaron Eckhart's performance as Nick Naylor is outstanding. He easily carries the whole movies as he is able to deliver his lines with a sense of courage and fearlessness when he is in debates with other people. When he goes up against big people, he treats it like it's just another day at the office. He was the only actor who impressed me, but that's not to say that the other actors did a bad job. They still did a good job as well. Adam Brody, William H. Brady, and J.K. Simmons were good actors too. However, they didn't have the same charm as Aaron Eckhart did in the film.

Like most great, underrated movies however, it's not without its flaws. The pacing can get to be a little tiresome near the middle of the film and some scenes can drag on a little too long, but this is about the only thing which bothered me and even when I felt a bit bored, the film always managed to suck me back in at the next scene.

In conclusion, Thank You For Smoking is a smart and entertaining comedy which will stick with you long after viewing it. It doesn't take any sides and it also has a thought provoking and well thought out meaning behind it. The acting is also pretty good as well. It may have a few drawn out scenes which can get tiresome, but this is a minor criticism on my part. This movie should be viewed by everyone. It is quite an experience to watch it just because it gives you another side of the argument which is very valid and thought provoking. It is a film which definitely flew under the radar.
½ March 11, 2017
Funny, caustic and clever writing. Competently acted by Aaron Eckhart and clever direction by Jason Reitman. He is an original.
September 7, 2016
Just a little cheesy
½ August 21, 2016
Why was one of the most shocking films in the new millennium overlooked? Can it be because nobody likes to see a film where somebody advertising pro-smoking? Well, it's a lot more than that. The movie has been all about freedom of choice, often providing certain arguments to prove a point. Some are very much relevant, others are quite forced. But in this sharp, satirical drama which never chooses a side, everyone is fair game.
½ August 21, 2016
Good movie for smokers.
½ August 17, 2016
Endlessly witty and slyly subversive, Thank You For Smoking sees Jason Reitman at his finest, constructing a film that will make you absolutely love a man who is, for all intents and purposes, a wise-ass, egotistical jerk. Aaron Eckhart is perfectly cast, taking every opportunity to show off his smug grin and astute arguing abilities, but he lends the role all the gravitas it requires when necessary, without ever over-sentimentalising. He's supported by many fine performances, and Reitman avoids the obvious trap of making them caricatures. The film makes many great points, especially regarding freedom of choice and the callous publicity-seeking nature of bigwigs, but does it with such humour that you don't ever feel like it's preaching. It takes many swipes at large corporations, like plenty of movies do, but is also willing to point out that, however harmful the product a company may be selling, they're just trying to make a living too. The closing scene, which manage to throw in a line that makes cheese seem profound, is utterly brilliant, the very definition of a perfect ending. If you like your films clever, thought-provoking or just plain funny, then Thank You For Smoking is for you.
August 1, 2016
Great satire about a guy named Nick played by Aaron Eckhart to be a lobbyist for the Tobacco industry. The best line of the movie is when Nick says tobacco isn't outlawed because it controls the population because of overpopulation. Great script wonderful actors, very enjoyable to watch. Definitely add this to your list. This was my second time viewing this pic.
July 5, 2016
Thank You for Smoking is the directorial and writing debut of Jason Reitman, son of Ivan Reitman whose well known for the Ghostbusters films, and it stars Aaron Eckhart in a dramedy about a lobbyist who talks about why cigarettes are cool to smoke, and how his life goes. I remember watching this before after watching Juno, which was also directed by Jason Reitman, and I liked both of them. So when I saw The Nostalgia Critic do an episode on this movie, I figured I should watch it again when I see it on DirecTV. Aaron Eckhart creates a performance that I haven't seen him in before as I've seen him in action films, and it's honestly one of the bat that I've seen him in. The character is surprisingly likable for a person that's trying to convince people to think that smoking cigarettes is cool, and that he loves to do what he does that I understand where he's coming from, and he makes some good points throughout the film. The script by Jason Reitman is very good as it holds a balance that it could've easily been pro-smoking or anti-smoking, and that it's actually about choice. The characters are enjoyable to watch, and when the main character is having a speech, he really know what's he talking about, and I understand his saying. It's very clever, and it is really funny. Thank You for Smoking is a fantastic start for Jason Reitman's career, and there wasn't honestly a film he directed that I didn't like so far.
June 9, 2016
Enjoyable movie, satircal with some wise words. But overall the plot is a bit flat. There are no memorable moments, hence not a memorable movie.
April 15, 2016
The perfect political satire. Enjoyable to watch. Aaron Eckart and JK Simmons are perfectly cast. I love the message that politics is all manipulation.
March 4, 2016
It's a really smart, clever but cynical comedy. It reverses the character roles, the guy who seems like the bad guy is the good guy and vice versa. It's a really good film, and I highly recommend it.
February 14, 2016
The people behind the face of an industry. Gets away with just about anything, people that handle all what cripples an unethical industry. some unethical industries don't last when government intervenes. trying just about anything, on all aspects trying to convince there is nothing wrong, harmful, with scientific proof from biased doctors, lawyers they hire. money pays for the best loop holes. able to put ethical people to like unethical things, by labeling it's not that harmful as people might think.
distorting facts, evidence, by having a convincing argument. no room for negotiation.

turning a blind eye on the ethics of what you represent. requiring a fond reminder what pushes you to continue and not the negative aspects.

what gets these people hooked and addicted to smoking. with every product there is a competitor and deregulator. limiting the process and practice indulgence altogether when there is costly side effects.
constantly looking back at the statistics and charts for answers and solutions.
capitalizing on other industries and merging withbthem, from movie theatres, characters, role models.
knowing your clients, picking 1 client pays when they do it longterm. the captain self made man, the filter to a product, the secret sauce/ingredient. your enemies of mow but your best customer later.
The product is worth it's reputation, that it travels word or mouth and travels literally across the world. removing the filter with an argument.
Art, koi fish, wines, all products surrounded by an industry and competition with a high price value.
Knowing who your target audience wants, where they would definitely dish money to.
synergy or debate the two arguments right/wrong. the perks of being the representative for your company, may come with some side effects.
money solves everything, playing both sides of the field, by making everyone win when your tricking and controlling the situation.
Getting into deep has its side effects.
Digging deep to get the truth from a liar. digging deep to a product and practice that makes you feel good you stand up for. with every negative side effects there are positive effects.
What is the industry you represent, a place for people to exercise choice, whether it's a personal choice, private, business, hobby, recreational, & celebratory.
slapping a big smiley face on any product from the government, that steers people to choose the healthy alternative. good guts finish last.
½ January 9, 2016
Satire is always usually very cynical - and so is this movie. A wonderful take on the lobbyists and/for tobacco. Darkly comic. The dialogues are a beauty - you are never wrong if you argue right.
Must watch