The Croods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Croods Reviews

October 29, 2017
just saw it, and we all loved it
August 20, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, The Croods is a new animated feature from Dreamworks animation. Theyre the crew who brought us all those Madagascar movies, and Shrek. I havent been impressed with much that theyve done since Shrek, but The Croods is a rocking good time.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) The Croods didnt disappoint. I was initially a little worried that this movie would be The Flintstones set in a darker universe. But it delivered meatier fare than anything Fred and Barney could.

GREG: Were introduced to Grug Crood (Nicholas Cage) who is a classic Cro-Magnon. Hes big, burly and keeps his family safe by hiding them in a cave. Anything out of the ordinary is bad. Everything good is in the cave. The family only ventures out to forage for food. And when they do, its a team event with everyone in the family doing their part. But they must hurry back to the cave before the sun sets or become food for whatever roams the night. Grugs teen-age daughter, Eep (Emma Stone) has a different idea about what is good. She loves the sun and the outdoors and anything new. She sneaks out one night and meets a young Homo-Sapien named Guy (Ryan Reynolds). Guy is everything new. He wears boots, a belt, has mastered fire, and brings a tale of impending doom - the earth as they know it is collapsing!

SCOTT: It had better be collapsing! We cant have a hero story in a stable, familiar world, now can we? Grug notices that Eep is missing and frantically searches for her. Meanwhile, Guy leaves Eep to venture to safer terrain. After Grug and his family find Eep, massive earthquakes destroy their cave, sending them fleeing toward a land that is a far cry from their bland rocky desert. This new world is a lush jungle teeming with color and all sorts of new peril. Greg, to me this shift in worlds was reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz.

GREG: Thats an apt comparison. The first thing that occurred to me in this movie was how closely it matches Moxnes Deep Roles Model. In it Moxnes describes how archetypal characters are based on the family structure. Theres the Father, the Mother, the Crown Prince, the Princess, the Wise Man and the Hero. The Croods fit this model closely with father Grug, mother Ugga (Catherine Keener), brother Thunk (Clark Duke), daughter Eep, and grandmother Gran (Cloris Leachman) as the wise mentor. The boy Guy plays the Hero character. Usually in this model the Hero is transformed through the experience. But the main character who goes through transformation is Grug, the father. He starts out clinging to the old, safe ways. But he gradually learns that the old ways dont work in a world full of strange plants and animals.

SCOTT: Glad you brought in Moxnes model, Greg. It fits like a glove here. This movie is interesting in that it starts out giving the impression that Eep is the hero. She leaves the safety of her cave to explore a forbidden world. But as you say, its Grug who must change his ways in response to a rapidly changing world. He cant stop his daughter from growing up, and he cant prevent earthquakes from transforming the landscape. I would say that Grug is the main hero and that the mentor is Guy, not the rather uninteresting Grandma character. It was Guy who encouraged new ways of thinking and who brought about Grugs transformation.

GREG: Thats a good qualification, Scott. I really respected the Dreamworks animators for not coloring Eep in perfect female form. Shes a cute character, but unlike so many Disney princesses, not a classic beauty. She has very broad shoulders and thick legs. Her hair is a controlled cinnamon brillo pad. She has a sunny face and great enthusiasm. Im reminded of Shrek (another Dreamworks film) and how the princess in that story turned into an ugly green ogre at the end of the story. The Disney model requires that good characters be (or become) beautiful. (Take for example, the Beast in Beauty and the Beast who transforms from an evil beast to a good, handsome prince). All too often, both in cinema and in life, we equate beauty with virtue. Its good to see a film that takes the risk of making their virtuous characters look less than perfect.

SCOTT: Eep is definitely a non-traditional woman. Shes smarter and more intellectually curious than just about every character, and she runs circles around most of the men in this story. Shes even physically stronger than Guy. If theres a sequel to The Croods, shes the one character Id want to learn more about. Greg, the movies only flaw, if you could call it that, was the ending. The filmmakers here got greedy and tried to make the hero just a little too superhuman. I wont give away the ending scene, but lets just say that the screenplay writers underestimated the audience, who would have left the theater quite satisfied with all the growth and transformation that our hero underwent. But no, were presented with a truly unrealistic scene at the end that wrapped everything up in a far too-perfect bow.

GREG: I see your point. However, remember this is a childrens movie rated PG. One element that was especially endearing to me was the presence of story in the movie. Grug often tells stories and illustrates them on the walls of the cave. I just loved the idea that the earliest people were as much in love with telling a story as we are today.

SCOTT: Youre right. We had stories within the story. And those stories had to change for the main story to work. Overall, its a classic hero tale with all the essential elements in place. The animated cinematography was amazing, especially in the early egg-chasing scenes. There was clever humor -- witness the Croods first reactions to fire with references to fire babies and fire-biting. While Grug emerges as the main hero, in a way the entire Croods family displays heroism in their combined efforts to survive their radically changing world. Like Shrek, The Croods has memorable characters and classic themes that appeal to people of all ages. Im giving the movie 4 Reels out of 5, and the hero 4 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: I was delightfully surprised. This is a very layered film: the merging ideas of early man with modern familial problems, the coming of age for a young girl, the feeling of loss for a father losing his daughter to a young man, the passing of brute strength in favor of intellect, and a man standing still while the world literally passes him by. I really cant find any faults with the story except that it was a bit too saccharine so as to appeal to the sensibilities of young children. Id like to give this 5 Reels, but the ending fell a bit flat so I can only give it 4. I was a bit confused about who the hero of the story was. The story starts focused on Eep as the element of change. Then switches to Guy, the young boy. And finally settled on Grug as the transformed hero. I prefer a more clear hero structure and so give only 3 Heroes out of 5 for The Croods Movie: Hero:
August 2, 2017
Amazing animation and a really good family story, but in this case, in Pre-History.
All the characters motivations and fears are relatable, and the evolution that the story have turns ''The Croods'' to be such an satisfying movie to watch!

|7,5 out of 10|
½ June 1, 2017
This was a pretty good movie, but the best part was the cute sloth. I probably don't need to watch it again.
½ May 31, 2017
Una buena animacin, una historia entretenida pero nada de rigor
May 26, 2017
This was so cute and heartwarming to watch. It wasn't exactly perfect, but I recommend you give it a watch.
April 4, 2017
The Croods has a good enough voice cast and is funny enough to make up for its thin plot.
March 25, 2017
Angfmi???????????????????????? 1/2?????????????????????gghjjjkkkk
;;,(?
March 12, 2017
This is a pretty underrated film. Nice stylized animation and great voice acting highlight a fun and easy to connect to screenplay. Extra feels for fathers of little girls. I don't like Nick Cage but his performance for Grug is super-great and his character arc while predictable, is handled wonderfully.

The character development rivals anything done by Pixar and is better than most live-action serious movies without even trying. Its a bit predictable, but when the execution is as slick as this its something I don't mind at all. If you want to get introspective about the layered character driven subplots you can. Or you can just enjoy a whacky caveman adventure.

Spoiler; they keep the ending family fun and sweet and it's fine the way it is and nice and all but this could have won an Oscar if they would have left it at Grug in the cave painting his family. I struggled to not bawl like a baby at this point.

Good family film with something for everyone.
March 10, 2017
one of the best animation films, story line was extremely good..
½ February 27, 2017
I like the crowds, this movie got better as it went along and by the end it was emotional, The first six minutes may turn you off but it actually worked out in the end and I enjoyed it
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 30, 2017
Loved this! A fun animation about a family of cavemen
January 26, 2017
Una divertida historia que cuenta las aventuras de una familia de caverncolas, los Croods, que se ven obligados a dejar la 'zona de comfort' que representa su pequea cueva y descubrir el mundo que les rodea. Con la ayuda de Guy. los Croods irn venciendo viejos temores, y descubriendo que la vida les prepara diferentes aprendizajes si estn dispuestos a aceptarlos
December 30, 2016
Very slick animation, pretty good story too.
½ December 30, 2016
The Croods is directed and co-written by Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders, and it stars Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, and Catherine Keener in an animated film about a caveman family that doesn't like new things as the leader of the pack thinks that it's dangerous, and when one of the members come across another human that's smart and knows that the world is ending, the world is changing places, and they follow him to go to a safe place even though Grug (Nicolas Cage) doesn't like Guy (Ryan Reynolds). Seeing for the fact that this is the first animated film that Nicolas Cage is in and consider that he hasn't been in a Hollywood film for a while, is consider to be the main reason for me to see it, and also for the fact that the director and co-writer of Lilo and Stitch Chris Sanders is involved with this. For my opinion, this is just as amazing as great as Kung Fu Panda. Nicolas Cage being Nicolas Cage is always hilarious to watch as he goes over the top, and it works for this movie, but never too much of it that people would find it annoying. The rest of the cast are also great as well, and they got their moments that shine in this. The designs of the creatures look amazing that it gives more of a different feel of what the world looked like. There's a lot of a different humor in it, whether it be physical, threatening, or just insane humor in it, and it works for me as I was cracking up so much. It also gets pretty tense in some moments, but never too tense for small children to handle, and there are some emotional stuff in there that actually worked in there which made me get teary-eyed. If there's an issue that I have with it, is Belt. Not that he's a bad character, he's well-design and has some funny moments, it's when he does his running gag of him saying dun dun dun while acting cutesy, and I didn't find it funny. But that's only a small issue as Belt said it like three of four times, and I just enjoyed The Croods so much that if they made a sequel, I would be totally okay with that.
½ December 26, 2016
Though not a great movie, the Croods does feature some great humor and a simple fun story to enjoy at home with your family.
December 25, 2016
Not much of a plot but interesting.
December 21, 2016
As far as kids movies go, this was pretty good and held my 4 and 6 year olds attention well.
December 3, 2016