The Croods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Croods Reviews

November 24, 2014
Inventive, fun (in a cute way) and well done -- but not compelling.
March 3, 2013
Grug: Never not be afraid.

"Meet the first modern family"

The Croods was sort of a let down in some aspects, but the animation is beautiful and the settings, and caveman era is really cool. So it ends up being a very fun ride. The nice voice cast of Nicholas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Cloris Leachman and Clark Duke lend good voice to the beautiful imagery.

A family that lives exclusively in the darkness of their cave are forced to adventure out into the real world and encounter all the dangers that it withholds in search of a new home after theirs is destroyed by an earthquake. They run into a boy who knew this was gonna happen and who also has a very good understanding of earth. The movies main theme is about thinking for yourself and not fearing the unknown.

This isn't a standout when it comes to the animated family film genre, but it's a fun film nonetheless. I expected a little more from the story, but overall it was okay. This isn't really worth the watch unless you like watching these animated movies no matter what. If you just watch the best of the genre, this one shouldn't be a necessity.
½ February 6, 2014
Chris Sanders and Kirk De Micco deliver The Croods in better fashion than marketed.Behind the 90 minute facade of obnoxious caveman, there really is a fun family-oriented story. The pacing is quick, the characters are amusing, and while the plot details are light and simple, it all makes for a good time. The final 20 minutes is a notable highlight.Visually, The Croods never blows it out of the water, but it stays visually pleasing on the eyes with some brightly colored characters and facial expressions resembling the "Dreamworks Face."Nicolas Cage is a little awkward at first, but his voice grows as the film progresses. Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds provide satisfying enough voice work for 2 of the other major characters.All in all, The Croods meets the expectations of a recommendable family animation.
October 11, 2013
Watchable family fun but maybe an adult requires a tad more from the movie!
April 15, 2013
Meet the first modern family.

Very good animated movie! The Croods is a film which is guaranteed to be enjoyed. It might not be the best film out there, but it certainly is a great one which has its own comedic and adventurous moments, a movie for the whole family out there and to all those who prefer watching it in 3-D, the effects are seriously good in this film and your choice would be a valid one. All in all, no matter what age you may be, "The Croods" might just bring back a smile or a few memories of those old childhood fantasies where anything was possible. Go see this!

The Croods is a prehistoric comedy adventure that follows the world's first family as they embark on a journey of a lifetime when the cave that has always shielded them from danger is destroyed. Traveling across a spectacular landscape, the Croods discover an incredible new world filled with fantastic creatures and their outlook is changed forever.
May 20, 2013
A visually stunning and very entertaining postmodern crossing of The Flintstones and The Simpsons that will prove exciting for the whole family, offering a touching and quite appealing message about discovery and fear of change.
½ April 28, 2013
An 'Ice Age' rip off is what sprang to mind when seeing trailers for this, Dreamworks trying to leech off another studios ace franchise. In all fairness I still do believe 'DW' has kinda pinched the idea to a degree, 'Ice Age' is a good animated franchise and shows the prehistoric era is popular, so why not make your own eh.

The plot runs along the same kind of lines as 'Ice Age 2' and 'Ice Age 3', mixed together. The Croods must leave their home and find pastures new because of impending earthquakes and land formation which is tearing the area they know as home apart. On their journey they discover new lands which are alien to them which kinda feels like a 'lost world' theme, which would be similar to 'Ice Age 3' and various other fantasy films.

To be honest at first I really didn't like what I was seeing. I didn't like the way everything was designed, any of the characters and I didn't like the animation. Plus the start is pretty slow really, nothing much of interest happens and you start to wonder if it will be set purely within rocky terrains and dark caves the whole time.

Its only when the family must uproot and move on that the film starts to look much much better, again...a little too much like 'Ice Age 3' but lets leave that alone. Once we start to see all the colourful weird and wonderful lands, creatures, flora and fauna, I found myself enjoying the adventure a lot more (sigh of relief too I might add). Odd choice to make all the animals fantastical over realistic, not sure about that, I think it would of worked better with real accurate animals, flora and fauna etc...It might as well of been set on a distant alien planet really, it bares no proper resemblance to the real prehistoric era.

I'm still unsure about the characters though, jury's still out on them. All together they kinda reminded me of 'The Addams Family' but set in the prehistoric era, I think you can see what I mean. 'Grug' the father was a fun character voiced well by Cage, which was a surprise, really couldn't see that working out when I heard of it. I reckon Patrick Warburton would of been a good match for this 'Stan Smith-esque' caveman, but Cage does a good job. The only other character I liked was 'Grug's' son 'Thunk' voiced by Clarke Duke. A typical dim witted character but he made me smile.

Its not overly hilarious but there were times where I smirked and grinned at the lunacy. The whole sequence where 'Grug' is trying to come up with ideas to challenge 'Guy' was nicely done, some good Wil E. Coyote moments in that montage. I also liked how 'Grug' was always hoping his mother-in-law would get killed or eaten, nice touch there for the adults.

Poor start, gets much better midway through and ends with a very predictable weepy happy ending like all animated films do. I liked it but there are so many things I would change about the film if it was my project, the whole concept is pretty unoriginal now anyway thanks to a certain other franchise. Some nice touches but they don't save the film completely for me.
April 24, 2013
You know a movie isn't great when the best part is Nicolas Cage. "The Croods" is...surprisingly crude - in terms of even minimal historical accuracy and in terms of strong female character development (which I'm not sure they were going for, but if you get Emma Stone, our Big Red It Girl of the moment to voice your heroine, you ought to deliver something for her to work with besides grunty ogling of neanderthal beefcake).

The Crood family's hunting and problem solving tactics are really too cartoony, yet still not funnier or cleverer than the X's and O's of football strategery. I guess I was expecting an element of realism. The movie doesn't really start until Eep meets Guy who miraculously has AAALLLL the answers to prehistoric civilization: fire, shoes, critical thinking skills, musical instruments, slithey pets that act as belts, need I repeat: fire?? shoes??? critical thinking skills???? Where the hell did he come from?!
½ April 12, 2013
The Flintstones meet National Lampoon's Vacation in this very fun update of One Million Years B.C. What sets this apart is its wild imaginative indulgence as well as its disregard for physics. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
March 26, 2013
"The Croods" is about a family of cavemen who come out of the cave and start living in the world. Grug(Nicolas Cage) is the father and he wants the family to live in fear, to protect them. But his oldest daughter Eep(Emma Stone) longs for a life outside the cave, and one day meets a boy named Guy(Ryan Reynolds) who shows her the light. He talks about how the world is going to change and convinces her to get the family to leave the cave, from there it's about "old ways vs. new ways" as the boy and Grug clash over what to do to protect the family. It's kind of like a Flintstones and Ice Age movie rolled into one. While it doesn't have the Flintstones charm, it's certainly better than most of, if not all, the Ice Age movies. It's got some very funny moments and was actually a lot better than I thought. The voice cast is tremendous, and anytime you got Nicolas Cage, you've got gold. It's a little long for an animated movie, but it doesn't really over stay it's welcome. I didn't get a chance to see this in 3D, but I'm sure I'll buy the 3D blu ray when it's available. There's enough her to make me think the 3D would be outstanding. Perfect family movie, that isn't just for the kiddos.
December 16, 2012
In the age of the cave men everything was out to kill you. The wonderful opening sequence sells that point in a very morbid yet charming way. We then meet the lovely cave girl Eep and her family who are soon set out on a journey that will change their lives forever. The computer animated movie does not care about biological accuracy but instead uses its medium to throw as many insanely imaginative and colorful creatures and landscapes at the flabbergasted audience as it possibly can. From the racy egg hunt in the beginning to the almost photo realistic volcano eruption in the end, the film succeeds each time it pushes its characters in spectacular stand-offs with nature, combining breathless action with a great sense of humor. It helps that the 3D effects are deep, colorful and fun at all times, not just in a few special moments. The world-building is certainly the most breath-taking since Cameron's trip to Pandora. Sure, the plot may be somewhat along the usual lines of family values, trust and father-daughter relationships, but the resolution is actually really touching. Young and old should have a blast with this. The idea of how cave men are able to take pictures is so insane and funny, you have to see it for yourself.
March 22, 2013
I enjoyed "The Croods" much more than I thought I was going to. It just looked like silliness from start to finish, which is what it turned out to be, but it does it in such a way that it almost seems strikingly fresh! Every scene is slapstick after slapstick, but it's very well done for what it is, and all the characters are enjoyable (mainly because of the voice acting, which is great). I was very drawn in by the visuals, and even though it was clearly borrowing ideas from other films, it pulls off what most kids films do not, which is use the visuals to it's advantage. The story is been-there done-that, but I can't recall very many children's films about the world coming to an end. There were many moments throughout the course of this film that stole my heart, and by the end, I had chills all over my body at how some things just paid off so well for the story. I highly enjoyed watching "The Croods"! Highly recommended!
March 16, 2013
It's rushed, there's no real stakes even for an animated film and some of the comedy falls flat but thanks to the solid voice work, a surprisingly heartfelt second half and animation that takes full advantage of the film's Stone Age setting, ''The Croods'' is a passable DreamWorks flick.
½ December 1, 2013
From DreamWorks Animation comes the delightful family comedy The Croods. The story follows a caveman family that is thrown into upheaval when their home is destroyed, forcing them on a quest to find a new place to live. Featuring the voice talents of Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, and Ryan Reynolds, the cast is especially good and does a great job at delivering the lighthearted comedy. And, the visual style creates a fantastical and imaginative prehistoric world unlike anything that has been seen before. Entertaining and fun, The Croods is heartwarming comedy that delivers a lot of laughs.
April 9, 2013
The story and characters are nothing new. Reynolds is the lone Cro-Mag, who may have the brain power of the whole Neanderthal Croods family combined. Stone's Eep is charming as the Croods daughter, who is drawn to new things and new places without fear. The only original creations are the fantastically mixed creatures.
March 24, 2013
The Croods is pure family animated fun and adventure with a heartfelt story, nice characters, and good humor. This modern day version of "The Flinstones" takes us into a world that few movies dare to cross, and it pulls it off like a charm. I usually have a soft spot for Dreamworks Animated films, they usually have good scripts and give me a great time at the movies, and this film is no exception. During this film I was laughing and enjoying myself, and I realized that film was just trying to be a good time, nothing more and nothing less. I could comment on how the film doesn't live up to some other Dreamworks kids films, but I never really expected it too. It just seemed to be a good time and will be adored by the young and old alike. It has a lot of violent and physical humor that might be too much for some parents and kids, but I believe that is one of the things that make this film so much fun. It dares to give us something that will get some criticism and I really enjoyed it. I don't expect this to be the best animated film of the year, but it proves that 2013 may be a very good year for animation. The creators are able to pull off a film that can mix many layers into one movie and it works very well. It stumbles in its story once and a while, but it always finds its way back on track with some good laughs and many fun characters. If you were scared that this was going to be a bad film, let me put those fears to rest and tell you this is pure family entertainment.

The story follows a family of cavemen called The Croods, which includes the father Grugg (Nicolas Cage), the daughter Eep (Emma Stone), the mother Ugga (Catherine Keener), the brother Thunk (Clark Duke), and Gran (Cloris Leachman). They stick to being safe and living in a cave, but when Eep leaves the cave and meets Guy (Ryan Reynolds), a wise and stealthy outsider, the Croods find themselves on an adventure for the ages.

The plot of the film is of course not very original and has been done by many films, but its setting, characters, and heart turn it into a very good story. From the first few minutes I found myself loving the characters. Everyone has a family member that they can relate to with this prehistoric family, and that just adds to the fun. Maybe you have an overprotective father, or a curious daughter, or a brainless son, or an annoying mother-in-law, or a loving wife, either way you can find something to love about this family. Kids will find love in the characters, especially a sloth-like character called Belt which is a character that surprised me with it likability. There really is no villain in this film, which may have been weird but in the end it really was just the world who was the enemy. There are many different creatures in the film that will make us laugh or even just remind of "Avatar." We have seen the "get from Point A to Point B" formula many times in many animated films, but it's nice to see that it can still be fresh with the help of smart writers. The humor involves many people getting injured or hurt, and that is obviously going to be included in a film with muscular cavemen. It's fun and good natured violence that I believe the majority of the kiddies and adults will enjoy. Many adults are dragged to stupid and pathetic animated films, but I think most that take their kids will get a pleasant surprise. We get lessons on family, love, hope, and freedom which all mix together very well in a very fun story. I had a lot of fun with this story and am glad to see Dreamworks keep up the good work.

The voice cast add to all the characters enjoyment, and may even be the reason many adults will love the characters. Nicolas Cage gives his best performance in ages, ironically in an animated film. He makes his character a lot of fun and just listening to him gives off that witty and funny voice that Cage pulls of perfectly. Emma Stone gives off that lovable and quirky performance that makes everyone love her, and it only proves my point that she is one of the most likeable actresses in Hollywood. Ryan Reynolds never fails to give us his charm that always makes him fun, and I think he was one of the most dynamic characters in the film. Catherine Keener has a good performance, and Cloris Leachman pulls off the cranky grandmother perfectly. Clark Duke will likely be a favorite with the majority of audience members, his performance as the idiot is exactly the kind of character that everyone loves. I loved the cast and it only adds to the films enjoyment.

The Croods is that kind of film that makes me love reviewing movies, because of its wit and humor it makes me just love to go to the movies. Directors Chris Sanders and Kirk DeMicco perfectly capture the magic and beauty of animation by giving me one of the most beautiful animated films I have seen in a long time. The world in this film is beautiful and once again proves how far animation has come over the years, and how computer-animation is just an incredible bit of technology. You can't help but compare this film to "The Flinstones" in many ways, mainly because of its love to spoof the prehistoric age, its jokes on family life, and its lovable characters. This is in no way a put down; any film that can remind me of childhood cartoons deserves to be given credit for its beauty. Adventure is the kind of thing kids love the most, and seeing that this film is aimed for kids and gives us plenty of adventure, I say this was a pretty successful film. DreamWorks Animation always has a knack for giving us good films, and as for as long as I can remember they have never had a bad film. They focus on humor and heart, which in fact what makes them so great at making animated films. The Croods is that kind of film that I will watch again and again, and it will never lose what makes it so fun.
March 25, 2013
Movies aimed at children fall into two categories; the ones that feel like a chore to sit through and the ones that are enjoyable. The Croods falls into the later telling an overly familiar story in a prehistoric like setting. It's an alright film for parents and the hyper-kinetic energy of everything on screen will keep kids amuse.

The Croods follows a prehistoric family going on a road trip to an uncharted and fantastical world. In terms of plot and characters there's little to touch upon. That's mostly because these kind of stories has already been told. So expect some familiar elements like the group lack of knowledge in traveling, conventional road trip plot points, and overused jokes. It avoids a mature ending and subject matter that would have helped resonate with the theme of family. The same goes with the staple characters in which you have the idiot, sassy grandma, an animal sidekick, the genius, and a rebellious teen. The difference between this and other similar films is the setting. The setting is very unusual which perhaps is the best aspect of the film. The world is vibrantly colorful and allows the animators to create bizarre creatures and lush landscapes. The logic in this world will get laughs and lead to head scratching; one scene involving a giant corn propelling into the sky, making fireworks, and then raining giant popcorn. The writing is tight enough for the character to be worth invested in, but the familiar plot makes it a routine road trip film that fails to elevate itself from similar movies.

The animation is heavy on the physical jokes. It's hyper-kinetic with over the top movements through it duration. If physical humor is not your thing then you'll be devoid of laughter for a good 2/3 of the film. Do expect references to modern day devices, but thankfully pop-culture references are left out. Nicholas Cage lends his voice among the talented assemble cast and holds his own. It's one of his more intentional enjoyable roles. Cage character movement is energetic, but Cage handles voice acting properly never over doing it or under doing it. Emma Stone doesn't shine in her comedy, but does excel in her dramatic acting. Ryan Reynolds relies heavily on his comedic timing. It works in his favor since he proves in the past he is a funny man. The 3D is the in your face style. It's helps elevate some scenes, but for the most part if in your face 3D is not your thing go with 2D.

The Croods contains a good cast and tight writing for the characters, but the overly familiar plot don't make it as appealing like other animated films. It's aimed toward kids and they'll likely have more fun with it for it contains a colorful world, cartoon like jokes, and is energetic. Adults can have fun with it, but not as much kids will.