The Babadook Reviews

• Nov 12, 2019

Perhaps one of the most frightening psychological horror films ever made; many will dismiss the The Babadook because they "didn't get it". Those who recognize the manifestation of grief, angst and loss into a boogeyman type entity wreaking havoc in a woman's heart/soul/mind will be permanently moved.

• Nov 11, 2019

An amazing celebration of psychological horror with an insane performance from Essie Davis. Brilliant symbolism and art direction. A must watch for all horror fans.

• Nov 08, 2019

this was the biggest waste of 2 hours that i will never get back. I seriously hoped that the mom would die... after she killed bugsy (their dog) I was done with this poorly made movie. Please do yourself a favour and avoid this movie at all costs.

• Nov 08, 2019

One of the most incredible horror movies of the last 7 years, trully amazing and well carried. The Babadook is a masterpice !

• Nov 01, 2019

A psychological horror movie that has one guessing for the entire time if this is reality, or the fractured mind of a young widow and her troubled son. Unfortunately there are serious lines crossed by this very unhinged mother that leave you despising her character and not caring about her fate. When the Babadook creature finally appears, the effects are not scary or very well done. Atmosphere, sound, music however are all done well, and acting is serviceable, especially from the young boy, who takes on the role of family defender and constructs various weapons and traps to fight the monster.

• Oct 31, 2019

Decent acting at times. Babadook as grief? Quite an ill-attempted. stretch. Also, the movie is unoriginal.

• Oct 29, 2019

A perfect blend of sound effects and editing zapping you with an enormous "boo". The Babadook Jennifer Kent's debut as a writer-director is a monstrous call for attention. It is surprisingly one of those few horror flicks that I have encountered that fully uses every aspect of filmmaking in one direction. It channels everything to one simple thing. And it is not a scream that she wants from you, nor an awe gasping moment and definitely not a cheap elaborative sketch spread across the script for an insensitive commercial parlour trick. What she is interested in throwing out, is the character driven plot. All those scenes tied together just gives you a very strong case on what and how theses characters work. And they work fine. More than fine. They are extremely diligent on what they look like. How they are received by the others. In fact, every character is interested in doing so. Even the demons come with an introduction, a warning and are interested in following those set rules by them. They want to be taken seriously. Like they hold importance. A value that they could never reach. But would like to possess. And that is the crux of the supernatural element in the film. The entity is something that is not considered real. The psychological system feeds on fear and grows on your weakness or at least that's what we are told. And maybe that's why among these many set of characters, the kid, the child stands out different. His inexpressive behaviour, nature without any pattern doesn't make sense and it also does. This normalized humane behaviour that blends in at the back of our mind is what's alienated throughout the film. The Babadook then truly transforms into a monstrous lie. The horror title is deserved and the payoff is the oddest emotion that we carry and that is of course that we are attached to the idea.

• Oct 27, 2019

I do not rate films 5-stars, nor do I give them the title 'movie'. Like from the hands of the devil himself, the story is so bad that it makes a magnificent movie. The storyline, climax, and resolution 100% fit the movie's character. This is the one of best supernatural horror movies made up through now. 10+/10.

• Oct 27, 2019

the cgi was horrible, the movie was slow start, the plot was all over the place horrible movie

• Oct 26, 2019