The Catcher Was A Spy Reviews

• Apr 05, 2019

Interesting World War II movie - I wouldn't watch again.

Interesting World War II movie - I wouldn't watch again.

• Apr 02, 2019

Nice story but long-winded in the telling.

Nice story but long-winded in the telling.

• Mar 19, 2019

A story that was almost lost in history.

A story that was almost lost in history.

• Jan 09, 2019

The story is wild - but the movie is anything but. The (slight) build towards the moment of truth...and then the moment you've been waiting for passes just like the other unmemorable events.

• Jan 05, 2019

based on a true story, the movie tells the story of an enigmatic Moberg, who didn't enjoy the spotlight yet a patriot. Very watchable

• Jan 02, 2019

As a gay man I wanted to give this a higher rating simply because of what this man represented. But the director killed the drama even before Moe Berg sets foot in Europe. Rudd does as good a job as he is given. He must have relished the role. Who wouldn't? A real man's man, hiding a secret gay sex life, turns into a spy. Too bad he wasn't given 'real direction'. I'd still recommend watching it for the unusual part of it.

• Dec 28, 2018

Will there ever be a lack of new World War II stoiries? Boston Red Sox catcher, Moe Berg, becomes a spy for OCC to investigate whether German Physicist Heizenberg is close to developing the atomic bomb. This character would make a good tv series.

• Dec 08, 2018

The Catcher works both as a spy movie and as a character study, although on both counts it could have been much better. Despite a compelling story and a roster of excellent actors, the film generates anticipation and suspense only on an intellectual level, not sufficiently on an emotional one. Still, it's worth seeing.

• Nov 12, 2018

Great movie. Kept us on the edge of our seats

Great movie. Kept us on the edge of our seats

• Nov 11, 2018

Paul Rudd gives an excellent performance and leads an all-star cast in this true story presentation. I'm not sure why there were so many negative reviews from the pro critics. Perhaps, we're not used to seeing Rudd in a dramatic role, or maybe the movie is too cerebral and deliberately paced for some viewers. To me, it was quite engaging as the highly intelligent and enigmatic baseball player Moe Berg (Rudd), at the tail end of his career is recruited into the OSS during WW2. He will eventually be assigned to do whatever is necessary to get information on and stop a Nazi program to build an atomic bomb. Despite its pacing, I was engrossed throughout.