The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

July 23, 2016
"The Descendants" is Alexander Payne's best picture. Realistic, hilarious, and brutally honest, it gives George Clooney the role of a lifetime. He isn't just good here; he's scary good. This is the kind of performance that outshines a year full of them. Shailene Woodely is wonderful, too.
½ July 15, 2016
A predictable pseudo-indie drama lazily written by someone who seems to have no clue about real people's lives, built around artificial conflicts and embarrassing moments of humor, and centered on a group of pathetic characters who are really hard for us to care about.
½ June 16, 2016
Boring and vacuous. Would have been better if the story was not focused on Matt (George Clooney) but an Arrested Development style ensemble examination of the whole family. Shouldn't have won a writing Oscar. Watch for the shots of Hawaii.
½ May 30, 2016
Alexander Payne is one of those special types of directors who doesn't make movies that are garaunteed to make money, he makes very personal and special movies that are each time very very good. and the descendants is no exception. this is a very good movie with terrific acting, a very heartfelt and personal story, and excellent direction. George Clooney is perfection. The script is something special here. it manages to take these very real situations and make them seem 100% authentic. all of the characters are not characters, they are real people. sometimes this movie makes you uncomfortable with how real it is. not his best, but a very awesome movie from Alexander Payne .

7/10
May 28, 2016
This is a very depressing drama about the end of the life of a woman we never truly meet but hear all about. I found I didn't like her much, which definitely made my enjoyment suffer. The Hawaiian scenery is beautiful and helped make the movie bearable. Nice performances by Clooney and Woodley.
½ May 10, 2016
a nice little dramedy with good performances. I feel it was well balanced between the serious and the funny moments throughout and the story pretty much walked itself through without much of a slow down or skipping anything. nice little watch.
May 5, 2016
A great performance from George Clooney and that same humanity from Sideways director Alexander Payne make The Descendants a masterpiece
April 26, 2016
A boating accident involving his wife makes a tourist reexamine his life in yet another yarn about how life sucks from redundant director Alexander Payne.
½ April 24, 2016
A poignant, intelligent and memorable drama, with realistic characters and whip smart dialogue.
½ April 5, 2016
The trailer was outstanding... but the movie was a bit ambling. There was far too much story and not enough plot. There was absolutely no connectivity between plot and subplot. Clooney's decision re his ancestral lands had nothing to do with his quest to find his wife's lover. There were a few too many characters with not enough to do. The climax was a little weird and not really that satisfying, but the movie isn't by any means bad. The sheer amount of acting going on here is impressive, and it certainly shows Shailene Woodley's true talents which are sadly overshadowed by the whole Divergent mess. It's worth seeing simply because of the performances, and the dialogue is clever.
½ March 27, 2016
A smartly written comedy-drama, The Descendants is both funny and touching in it's dialogue, acting and direction, never afraid to truly show the more uglier parts of humanity in it's truthfulness.
½ March 15, 2016
The Descendants adresses its themes with Alexander Payne's customary masterful grip, that succeds in delivering a heartfelt, touching - and often funny - drama about dealing with tragedy and family bonds that rises on the strength of its talented cast.
March 8, 2016
Beautifully acted and written but I don't see any funny things at all. flat for me
½ March 7, 2016
George Clooney is a father with a lot more problems than it looks on the surface. A rather popular man who has a wonderful family is going through an extremely tough time. His wife is in hospital and his eldest daughter is starting to strike out against him.

Shailene Woodley gives a really mature performance and showcases just how it is for somebody of her age going through this time.

The film is certainly something I would recommend watching but don't expect fireworks because it's not that kind of film.
February 29, 2016
A good watch overall
February 27, 2016
We always wait until the moment it's too late to say what we feel about each other. Our last breathe, to get everything off our chest. That face to face interaction for someone to feel our pain as much as we do. When such moments don't come around too often and we bottle such aggression, such emotion and uncertainty that is the very reason that makes us go in a tail spin.
February 24, 2016
good flick, not Oscar nom good tho
½ February 14, 2016
A bit unbelievable most of the time. Still funny at others. A beautiful travel advertisement for Hawai'i.