The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

March 17, 2017
A depressing story is given levity by a great script and power from an equally fantastic cast. My favorite film of the year.
February 26, 2017
We'll this got much better reviews than it seems to have deserved. Maybe some movies are just not intended to be edited for TV. It's hard to take anyone's pain or anger seriously when it's expressed with "Muck you!" every 3 minutes. But the critics talk about humor, and I guess all of that got cut out for the commercial breaks because there certainly wasn't any in the two hours I sat through of flat, dull, nothingness. Nothing happened, there was no opportunity for anything to happen, there were no touching moments of real life captured in story. George Clooney's voice over was boring and felt forced and over-acted and was a great reminder that he's less talented actor than good looking guy. Or he was really bored with the script too. Or something in between.
February 16, 2017
Alexander Payne shows us again that he understands the nature of human beings through this very moving and well-acted comedic drama.
February 6, 2017
Remember when Alexander Payne made hilarious black comedies?
January 31, 2017
Definitely worth viewing.
A nice movie about family and the obstacles that life provides for them. Perhaps a little slow in the beginning but well worth relaxing to. George Clooney does his usual fine job. Shailene Woodley is absolutely gorgeous (wow did she beef up for the Divergent series or what?)
Some nice footage of Hawaii for those that haven't visited too.
I could wank on about the director, screenplay and film crew but that's not what your here for is it?
December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
November 26, 2016
I usually don't like clooney films but enjoyed this one
November 8, 2016
4/5 Ratings for The Descendants
F :89 %
R :11 %
Drama 80% Comedy 20%
October 22, 2016
Predictable and emotionless, the movie's saving grace is one of my favorite actresses, Shailene Woodley. George Clooney's character, under the most strenuous of circumstances, is almost cold and robotic. The whole subplot about selling the land is boring and unnecessary. Just a deflated movie that made me feel nothing and for a movie about a dying wife and uncovering the secrets of Clooney's own family, I expected to feel something.
½ October 13, 2016
I did not know what to expect before watching this film, & when I did, I was definitely not disappointed! It was so real, heartbreaking, & the story was well-told! The Hawaiian vibe worked really well! Clooney & Woodley both gave brilliant performances as well as the rest of the cast!
½ September 28, 2016
A well acted and directed movie that takes the best from what the talented cast can give.
Helped by a moving script, The Descendants offers some tought-provoking themes while never being heavy going.
Good job from Alexander Payne.
September 1, 2016
This was a very well done movie.
George Clooney was excellent as was the rest of the cast.
July 23, 2016
"The Descendants" is Alexander Payne's best picture. Realistic, hilarious, and brutally honest, it gives George Clooney the role of a lifetime. He isn't just good here; he's scary good. This is the kind of performance that outshines a year full of them. Shailene Woodely is wonderful, too.
½ July 15, 2016
A predictable pseudo-indie drama lazily written by someone who seems to have no clue about real people's lives, built around artificial conflicts and embarrassing moments of humor, and centered on a group of pathetic characters who are really hard for us to care about.
½ June 16, 2016
Boring and vacuous. Would have been better if the story was not focused on Matt (George Clooney) but an Arrested Development style ensemble examination of the whole family. Shouldn't have won a writing Oscar. Watch for the shots of Hawaii.
½ May 30, 2016
Alexander Payne is one of those special types of directors who doesn't make movies that are garaunteed to make money, he makes very personal and special movies that are each time very very good. and the descendants is no exception. this is a very good movie with terrific acting, a very heartfelt and personal story, and excellent direction. George Clooney is perfection. The script is something special here. it manages to take these very real situations and make them seem 100% authentic. all of the characters are not characters, they are real people. sometimes this movie makes you uncomfortable with how real it is. not his best, but a very awesome movie from Alexander Payne .

7/10
May 28, 2016
This is a very depressing drama about the end of the life of a woman we never truly meet but hear all about. I found I didn't like her much, which definitely made my enjoyment suffer. The Hawaiian scenery is beautiful and helped make the movie bearable. Nice performances by Clooney and Woodley.
½ May 10, 2016
a nice little dramedy with good performances. I feel it was well balanced between the serious and the funny moments throughout and the story pretty much walked itself through without much of a slow down or skipping anything. nice little watch.
May 5, 2016
A great performance from George Clooney and that same humanity from Sideways director Alexander Payne make The Descendants a masterpiece
April 26, 2016
A boating accident involving his wife makes a tourist reexamine his life in yet another yarn about how life sucks from redundant director Alexander Payne.