The Disaster Artist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Disaster Artist Reviews

½ August 18, 2018
This was way more endearing than I anticipated it being. Even though you know where it's going, the storyline has just enough intrigue to keep you vested - or at least voyeuristic. Also, James Franco - who I normally don't like that much - made me forget that it was James Franco acting.
August 14, 2018
Unbelievable if it were not true and an impressive performance from James Franco.
½ August 12, 2018
This film is clever, creative, well written and brilliantly acted. James Franco has delivered his best work here as Director and Lead Actor. Funnily enough, Tommy Wiseau also acted and directed in the 2003 film "The Room".

- Finesse Movie Reviews
August 12, 2018
Funny as hell but doesn't go far enough into how much The Room is pretty hateful towards women.
August 9, 2018
Great fun, if you can bear watching people embarrass themselves. Surprisingly heartwarming!
½ August 6, 2018
Ottimo film diretto James Franco tratto dal romanzo di Greg Sestero che nella pellicola viene interpretato dal fratello di James, Dave. Innanzitutto ottimo lavoro di Dave ma James č stato spettacolare, ho guardato il film in lingua originale ed ha saputo calarsi perfettamente nella parte recitando e parlando proprio come Tommy Wiseau. Grande lavoro anche alla regia, infatti nelle scene in cui si riproducono le scene del film "The Room" la recitazione e i movimenti dei personaggi sono identici a quelli dell'opera originale. La figura di Wiseau č davvero affascinante, coperta da un certo alone di mistero dato che solo recentemente sono stati svelati alcuni dettagli sulla sua vita. Bellissimo il fatto che quest'uomo ama cosė tanto quello che fa e vuole raggiungere il suo obbiettivo da non mollare quasi mai, grazie all'amico Greg. Alla fine riesce a coronare il sogno di lasciare un segno con il suo film, anzi il loro film. Davvero bello e divertente e in alcune scene anche un po' toccante. Esilarante la scena in cui Wiseau non riesce a dire le battute per circa 70 volte. L'ho apprezzato, bello.
½ July 28, 2018
A comedy, yes. Can James Franco act? He really can. Does Dave Franco look like James Dean? Yes. Dave needs to make more movies... you should like him in this somewhat ridiculous movie. Did I say this was a comedy? There are several laughs every few minutes. Fun film. I give both Francos an Oscar nomination.
July 27, 2018
This movie was ok not the best but i enjoined it
½ July 23, 2018
Very entertaining, but only because of Franco's acting (I don't mean this to be a negative statement in any way, however). I actually didn't know it was Franco playing Tommy at first, even though it should've been obvious (a true test of whether you're being fooled or not, in my opinion). Always knew Franco was a good actor, but never knew he had this kind of range (his performance in Planet of the Apes didn't show this much range). Kinda surprised to see if Franco will rest on his laurels, or keep reinventing himself as great characters like these and keep being a great actor. He truly is one of the greats, now.
July 21, 2018
A great comedy with a lot of heart. One of James Franco's best movies.
½ July 20, 2018
Not sure why this has such a high critic rating, this movie was weird, mostly not funny, and highly uncomfortable at parts. James Franco does an okay job at best, but why is this movie a thing? One of the stupidest movies I've seen.
½ July 16, 2018
Fascinating, yet also quite funny and detailed, The Disaster Artist sees the Franco brothers at their dramatic best as they bring the people behind the legendarily awful
movie to life.
July 15, 2018
Hooked from start to finish. James Franco manages to capture the beauty of the wacky filmmaker in all its insanity
½ July 12, 2018
2018-7-12 Didn't know " The Room " before this movie, so most of the time I was like " what the hell " while watching this. I wanted to turn it off for few times, but curiosity killed the cat. I can't believe that this is base on a true story. Such a sad story in my opinion. It's freaking hard to fit in the society if you're different, no matter which country you are in. I totally understand that so I couldn't laugh a bit at all when I watched the movie. This is so weird but still worth watching.
July 10, 2018
Great, now there's two of them.
July 7, 2018
A surprisingly sympathetic , yet also hysterical look at the making of "The Room," a "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of the modern day. Uncanny in its recreation, relentlessly skewering its subject, and yet also admiring the ambition and drive. A cult classic in its own right.
July 4, 2018
My wife and I finally got around to watching The Disaster Artist", James Franco's love letter to one of the real-life "worst movies ever made" ..i..e. The Room...and its creator, Tommy Wiseau. I haven't seen the entire "the Room movie and my wife had never even heard of it. The Disaster Artist is entertaining enough. James Franco directs and stars and Wiseau. Franco's real-life brother, Dave, stars as Wiseau's part-time partner Greg Sestero. The movie is all about the making of The Room and the quirky relationship between Wiseau and Sestero. Wiseau has an odd accent which takes a while to get used to. The movie drift about for a while before we get to the "making of" part of The Room. I found the movie interesting. James Franco does an amazing job and his brother holds his own. The other characters are fine and there are a few cameos. I certainly wasn't blown away but I particularly enjoyed the behind the scenes part of the story. For my wife, she had trouble getting into it.
July 3, 2018
"Oh hi, Mark!"

"The Disaster Artist" is definitely a great start for the directing career of James Franco. The script is not only funny, heartbreaking, and entertaining, but it also gives hopes to those who dream big. So what if you failed multiple times, that doesn't mean you won't achieve greatness. Tommy Wiseau, the original filmmaker of "The Room", is the living embodiment of someone who failed but manages to make it big time. Never quit, never surrender. Keep dreaming big!
½ July 2, 2018
3.5 out of 5 stars.
To fully appreciate how accurate James Franco's portrayal is of Tommy Wiseau, it's worth watching at least a few scenes of "The Room". Franco delivers a stellar performance worthy of an Oscar nod. The film is greatly centered on Franco's performance, so at times, it lags a little in pacing and storyline development. It's very strong though thematically and the dialogue alternates nicely between being poignant and funny.
½ July 1, 2018