The Eye of the Storm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Eye of the Storm Reviews

½ June 22, 2014
A dour and bitter sweet family drama starring Geoffrey Rush, Charlotte Rampling and Judy Davis. Rampling plays Elizabeth Hunter, the wealthy matriarch of a fractured and dysfunctional Australian family. As she hovers close to death, her children return from lives lacking real success in Europe to circle like vultures and try to secure the inheritance they desperately need. Although weak and at times delirious, the dying woman is still able to stir up deeply felt emotions of hurt, betrayal, loyalty and jealousy in her offspring and the nursing staff who look after her. The mood is lightened by several genuinely funny incidents and you do feel drawn into the situations that have obviously riven this family for many years. However, whilst the cast is superb, the directing from Fred Schepisi is patchy and makes it hard to really sympathise adequately with any of the characters. It seems more observational rather than empathetic giving it all a rather distant feeling. For me, this movie was caught between black comedy and melodrama and doesn't really successfully manage to be fully one or the other. I did however really love the genuine evocation of the 1970s in which the film is set which gave the whole thing a very chic and sophisticated air.
May 4, 2014
It Is Trying So Hard To Deliver On A Large Detail Story (Sourced From A 600pg Book) So It Loses You In Delivery. Unfortunate Given Such A Great Cast..
½ March 31, 2014
Watched this flick because the three actors are so good, and as usual they were worth watching, but in the movie itself, their three characters were people so horrible, one really couldn't care about them at all. I wish I'd passed this one by.
December 8, 2013
Although the story holds much promise, The Eye of the Storm survives mostly off the performances of the leading cast members.
November 8, 2013
Apart from showing up Geoffrey Rush once more as just a very average actor, this is also a boring piece of work that still sheds not much more light on the mystery as to why Patrick White is considered Australia's most eminent novelist. Very boring characters muddle about in cliche situations which over and over beg the question: Why would we care what these spoiled vacuous rich folk are up to? Both Rampling and Schepisi have done much much better work in the past.
½ October 19, 2013
Maybe it's just because I like Patrick White, but seriously, 58% fresh/45% liked it is not a fair score for this film.
September 22, 2013
Great cast but too long and it lost its way as it went on. Its interesting and its always good to see Rampling on the big screen
September 21, 2013
I found this movie to be really slow and pretty boring. The storyline wasn't that amazing but the acting was quite good. I must admit, I did struggle to find anything that interesting with the film and I did struggle to stay awake. By the end of the film I was left feeling quite empty and dissatisfied which is a shame because I usually like Geoffrey Rush movies. I didn't really know what to expect from the film so I wasn't that disappointed. At nearly 2 hours long, I was expecting something amazing to happen, but nothing really did. Disappointed!

Judging by the money that this movie made, it's obvious that I am not the only person that found this film to drag. I was hoping that movie was going to take a different direction, but it stays uninteresting and in some ways, quite boring. Geoffrey Rush does make the movie slightly more watchable, but he wasn't able to save the film.

Worldwide Gross: $84,000

I recommend this movie to people who are into there drama's about a lady whose on her death bed, surrounded by her son and daughter. 2/10
½ September 7, 2013
If you like odd movies this one is for you I just couldn't get into it .
June 30, 2013
Pedestrian at best, THE EYE OF THE STORM, has the potential to be a scenery chewing masterpiece with stars like Geoffrey Rush, Judy Davis, and Charlotte Rampling. All are wasted in this dull interpretation of Patrick White's novel. Fred Schepisi is a marvelous director but even he seems to be phoning it in. What happened?
June 24, 2013
Thought provoking movie..
½ June 12, 2013
Great performances from Geoffrey Rush, Charlotte Rampling and Judy Davis in this psychological study of a dying selfish mother and her two children. But great performances can't balance the laborious script. What could be a very good film is just so so.
½ May 1, 2013
I went to see this film last night. I got free tickets because I am a Sky TV customer. I can see why they gave the tickets away. It was the worst film that I have seen in a long time. There did not seem to be any point to the story. Don't go and see it.
April 30, 2013
It's not exactly fun but it is sophisticated, well acted and directed Drama, that occasionally is cold but never exactly bad.
½ April 25, 2013
Rich matriarch Elizabeth (Rampling) finds herself living out her final days in the hands of two nurses and a devoted Jewish cook. Sniffing out their impending inheritance, her two children, Basil (Rush) and Dorothy (Davis), return from Europe for a final reconciliation. Basil is a fading star of the London stage while Dorothy is struggling to maintain a lavish Parisian lifestyle following her divorce from a European Prince. Both have a tense relationship with their mother and have shown her little attention previously, something the dying woman is all too happy to remind them of.
I've often sung the praises of Australian cinema but along comes Fred Schepisi's adaptation of a popular Aussie novel to leave me with platypus egg on my face. Schepisi was part of the Australian New Wave, a collective of film-makers from the country (and New Zealand) who emerged in the seventies with a series of landmark films like Peter Weir's 'Picnic at Hanging Rock', Ted Kotcheff's 'Wake in Fright', and Schepisi's own 'The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith'. Like the Australian outback, they were beautiful and challenging, often thinly hiding a deep-rooted colonial guilt. In the eighties, the various members of this movement left for the U.S, with mixed results. Schepisi, 'A Cry in the Dark' excluded, found himself lost in the fog of Hollywood mediocrity, helming comedies like 'Mr Baseball' and 'Roxanne'. Now he's returned to his homeland but, sadly, it's a return as bland as any of his American paycheck films.
Schepisi's direction is impressive, clearly influenced by Robert Altman, and the trio of lead performances are terrific, as you'd expect from such actors. The problem lies with the script, as bland and uninvolving a piece of drivel as you could hope to find. Australian readers won't like me saying this but 'TEOTS' feels very much like a British film, the sort that features lots of characters sipping tea and saying "bugger" for comic effect. Come on Oz, I know you can do better. Last year you thrilled us with 'Sleeping Beauty' and 'The Hunter'. This year you've started by putting us to sleep with tea and mediocrity.
January 11, 2013
A marvelous performance of the cast and an excelente argument.
November 9, 2012
The film is overtly theatrical, and this is evident the performances from its brilliant cast. Maybe the film would have fared better on stage - I'm not sure this story is right or entirely works on the screen. That said, however, it's too nicely done to dismiss.
November 7, 2012
A controlling mother is nearing the end. Her two children, who both feel they have disappointed her, travel round the world to see her. Relationships are complex, and in the film at least, I found Doorothy to be completely inlikeable, while Basil although somewhat strange, was more likeable. Now I think I should go back to Patrick White's book and see if that is his version too. (I have not read many of Patrick White's books because I find them hard going - but I'll give this one a go.)
October 26, 2012
Compressing White's lenghty, multi-layered tragicomic masterpiece into a film of under two hours was always going to be a near impossible task. The film makes a reasonable stab at it, but one comes away with an edited impression of the book, rather than a fully-realized cinematic recreation. Rampling is fantastic as the rampaging, egotistical, carnivorous Mrs Hunter, though, and Rush and Davis bring her appalling, pitiable children brilliantly to life - 10 out of 10 to the actors.
October 10, 2012
I actually enjoyed the relationships and portrayal of characters by actors. Interesting expose of a rich dying matriarch and her dysfunctional relationship with her adult (?) children. Well directed and a great screenplay.