The Farewell Reviews

• 6d ago

RATING: A+ Director: Lulu Wang The Farewell's story is utterly sad and at some points Hilarious at the same time. The film has a beautiful Cinematography and Akwafina is amazing as is the rest of the cast. I gotta say at some points I didn't know if I rather should laugh or cry. But Lulu Wang created something unique with this film, there will be many more amazing films in her career.

• Dec 29, 2020

The strange and slow story of The Farewell is an important one, particularly a year after its release when so many are losing their loved ones. Awkwafina as a person and character is aptly situated in the friction between two cultures and as a result her emotions feel fresh and genuine. Many scenes such as the wedding photoshoot and the cemetery visit are strange in a lightly humorous way but like most of the scenes in the film, they fall a little flat. From the onset the characters are all emotionally drained and the experience of watching The Farewell is a bit draining too. The film is heartfelt but lacks vigor, and there are many touching moments but ultimately the film fails to come to life.

• Dec 28, 2020

I love how films are becoming more representative of different human experiences--it's so more fun to watch these than the white male protagonist films of my youth! This is a perfect example of this. Fresh voice, fresh story.

• Dec 26, 2020

An interesting snapshot of a family moment

An interesting snapshot of a family moment

• Dec 23, 2020

The film is a substantive work, unlike the shamelessly superficial "Crazy Rich Asians." Nora Lum, Awkwafina's real name, has superpowers of talent. She's a rapper, comedian, writer and fabulous actress and for The Farewell she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress, Comedy or Musical. She has one hell of a sexy speaking voice, too.

• Nov 29, 2020

A tender, loving story that is filled with life. Although the subject matter is enough to make you sad, it is handled with care by director Lulu Wang. It is sad, but just the right amount of humorous. It is an understated movie in many ways, but incredibly powerful, highlighting the limited time that we have on this planet and the ways that we should spend it. Definite must-watch.

• Nov 16, 2020

Solid film, not sure if knowing the real story took some of the emotion out of it or not

• Nov 14, 2020

Cute movie that is funny and emotional without getting cheesy. The grandma is great

• Nov 05, 2020

"The Farewell" is, in my opinion, a beautiful film. It has everything, great acting, comedy, drama, and a heartfelt story. Awkwafina does an amazing job, despite being a comedian, she shows she has what it takes for more advanced roles. Lulu Wang's full length debut film is one to watch.

• Oct 07, 2020

ouch dude. too relatable.

ouch dude. too relatable.