The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate Reviews

• Feb 29, 2020

All of the ridiculous flying sword play and poor CGI incorporation are very distracting to a story that was overly and unnecessarily complex to begin with. This movie was made for the grandeur of IMAX and probably can only be enjoyed in that format.

• Apr 05, 2015

Its nice to see Jet Li back in martial arts stardom, but unfortunately Flying Swords of Dragon Gate suffers from CGI overload. The effects are sloppy and very noticeable, to the point of full on distraction. Some of the lower key fight scenes are solid, but the lack of practical effects really drags down the overall product. The movie is averagely entertaining, but there's a fine line between blind ambition and doing too much when you don't have the budget.

• Dec 26, 2014

Awesome film one of the best 3D films yet

Awesome film one of the best 3D films yet

• Dec 06, 2014

Review: I really tried my utmost to understand what the hell was going on in this movie but the director kept on introducing new characters who belonged to different clans. On top of that, the characters kept on throwing up all these different names so it was hard to work out who was who. On the plus side, the production looked impressive and you could tell that there was quite a bit of money spent on some of the scenes, but I couldn't take the flying on strings, action scenes along with the crazy sword fights which went way over the top. Personally, I might have enjoyed it more if I knew what was going on, but I found it way to confusing and I lost the plot near the beginning. Disappointing! Round-Up: Jet Li is quite an impressive actor because he does his own stunts and he has an unique fast fighting style, but his performances aren't that emotional and some of his choice of films are really strange. He isn't in the same category as Jackie Chan because of his earlier contribution to Asian cinema, but there yet to find someone with the charisma and martial arts skills like Bruce Lee. I suppose it's like people like Bob Marley who really can't me imitated. Anyway, I really did have high hopes for this film, but I got totally let down because of the confusing storyline and unrealistic action scenes. Budget: $35million Worldwide Gross: $100million I recommend this movie to people who are into their Jet Li movies about a clan, fighting against evil doers to save some hidden treasure from getting in the wrong hands. 2/10

• Dec 04, 2014

You are a master of treachery. Some new leaders have taken over an Inn in the middle of the desert in hopes of finding the fabled lost city and its riches. The leader of the inn has very strict rules on everything from his servants, to his women, to his guests, to who can search his desert for the lost city. When a group of travelers who do not wish to follow his rules cross his path, and one is pregnant, all hell breaks loose in the desert again. "Your ladyship is the only one allowed to get pregnant around here." Tsui Hark, director of Once Upon a Time in China I, II, III, & V; Seven Swords; Zu Warriors; Dragon Inn; The Master; The Swordsman; and the upcoming The Taking of Tiger Mountain, delivers Flying Sword of Dragon Gate. The storyline for this picture was just okay but had some cool elements and a mixed bag of good action with too much CGI action. The acting was fairly solid and the cast includes Jet Li, Liu Chia-Hui, Zhou Xun, Chen Kun, and Li Yuchun. "What's in your belly?" "Let's take a look." I grabbed this off Netflix because I am a fan of Jet Li and Tsui Hark. I will admit Tsui Hark is very inconsistent, but every once in a while he'll nail it. This wasn't one of those instances. I did enjoy most of the action scenes, but there was definitely a ton of wire work here and not much natural martial arts. Overall, this is entertaining and worth a viewing but far from Li or Hark's best work. "Give me some wine and some time to taste some pickled flesh." Grade: C+

• Nov 08, 2014

Very creative though some of the CGI/special effects looks a bit cheesy, and the plot has way too many sub plots to make sense of it all -- but a lot of fun to watch.

• May 18, 2014

Segundo uma lenda milenar chinesa, a cada 60 anos uma forte tempestade de areia revelará o local onde um tesouro sagrado e muito valioso que estava perdido está localizado, a região de Dragon Gate. Rumores que circulam o país indicam que tal local fica a famosa pousada Dragon Inn, construída para proteger o tesouro de ladrões. Durante um combate violento entre mercenários e os guardiões do tesouro, a Dragon Inn foi destruída. Três anos depois, uma nova pousada foi erguida no local e ela se tornou refugio para diversos foragidos da lei e párias da sociedade. Sabendo que o dia da tempestade está próximo, essa variedade de bandidos se une para tentar encontrar o tesouro de Dragon gate.

• May 07, 2014

Addition to the Wuxia genre, some eye popping action sequences, though the over the top CGI gets too much at times even for this type of film. Decent, but nothing exceptional, as would be the expectation from Tsui Hark and Jet Li's combined effort.

• Apr 06, 2014

Not the best, but had its moments.

Not the best, but had its moments.

• Jan 31, 2014

Hilarious, and strange entertainment.

Hilarious, and strange entertainment.