The Fog Reviews

• Jul 13, 2019

I actually liked The Fog over many other things that John Carpenter has created. It's one of his winning and most underrated films in my opinion. It has a slow burn of denseness to it that gels into a rollicking 30 plus minutes of excitement. Most people find it to be 'get on with it' kind of territory. There is some suspenseful scenes leading up to the final third, and it works well with all of the characters learning about what's going on. Pretty good story, music is done well, and the majority of the characters are much better in this one than the majority of his other films. I highly recommend this one. If you don't have anything to watch on say a lazy Sunday afternoon. Give this a shot. Ninety minutes worth your time.

• Jun 28, 2019

Fairly good, although the effective moments are few and far between.

Fairly good, although the effective moments are few and far between.

• Apr 08, 2019

The fog is a Mystery/thriller film directed by John Carpenter. The film stars Jamie Lee Curtis as Elizabeth Solley and Adrienne Barbeau as Stevie Wayne. The acting was steady though there was a couple points where it felt a little toned in. The characters were enjoyable and portrayed well especially the priest. I felt that the character gave a mysterious but sound personality. The cinematography was very good and fit the style of the film very well. The film also had some really nice shots. I also personally very much liked the setting with the town by the coast. I felt that it gave a creepy vibe to it. The set design and props were very good and fit with the film nicely from the hook hands to the building design. The costume design I felt fit the characters and helped the film give a 70s vibe. I very much liked the style from the colour scheme to the way the fog is used. The practical and special effects were both very good with the fog and use of light. The action though slow and far and few between it was still done very well. I film I noticed also had some good edits here and there. The music was used really well whether it be on the radio or just the soundtrack for the film. The premise and story was unique and in my opinion something only John Carpenter could pull off. The film also had some good comedy which made laugh personally. The best thing with the film in my opinion was probably the atmosphere. I felt that is was really strong for nearly the entire run time. The film was also very enjoyable and one that I will be watching again. There was a couple things that were wrong with the film but most of them are small and don't take away from the enjoyability of the film. Over all I give it a 7/10 - would watch again

• Mar 29, 2019

The Radio Host, The Priest, The Driver, The Hitchhiker, The Assistant, The Planer The child and the town are all tormented by, THE FOG.

• Feb 06, 2019

Great, effective, spooky ghost tale. This one has really won me over over the years. It's the best of Carpenter; moody, atmospheric and full of great characters.

• Feb 03, 2019

a film without any sense of horror , boring and with a poor plot

a film without any sense of horror , boring and with a poor plot

• Jan 29, 2019

A simple yet effective horror movie about zombie pirates. There is great atmosphere and the movie moves fast. There is definitely a nice suspenseful mood throughout. The music is nice and the direction rather pedestrian for Carpenter standards. Not a lot of character development so we kinda don’t really care except everything is just creepy.

• Nov 02, 2018

The Fog is not a movie that will scare you. Sure, you will jump a few times but the movie won't scare an audience. But what makes the film great is it's story. In my opinion this is one of the best stories for a horror film ever made for the big screen. Add to it the John Carpenter music and some decent acting and you have a 90 minute trick or treat that should be seen by all at Halloween. Plus with no gratuitous sex scenes or foul language, Carpenter a pretty tame horror film that COULD be seen by audiences 13 and older. Maybe even an occasional 12 year old too

• Nov 01, 2018

Lock your doors. Bolt your windows. There's something in THE FOG; there's an atmosphere full of dread and eeriness that I haven't seen it created like this before! As he did in Halloween, Carpenter did an equally fascinating job in building up The Fog's idiosyncratic atmosphere from the get-go until the very end; the rich-colored shadow-drenched cinematography by Dean Cundey, the spine-chilling score that also has an ancient tale vibe into it to suit the story perfectly, the campfire intro scene, and almost every subtle nuance of the movie's style made The Fog one of the most atmospheric horror films ever. Unfortunately, The Fog is also Carpenter's most poorly-written movie I've seen so far. The storytelling is all over the place, the characters are neither interesting, nor well-established (the performances, however, are all great, especially from Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, and Adrienne Barbeau.), and the plot is far from being cohesive; tons of plot-holes aside, the movie even feels if it forgot what it has established from its beginning, and only returned to it at the third act. I wasn't prepared to see these glaring storytelling inadequacies in a Carpenter film, but what disappointed me even more is The Fog's lack of flexible and effective camera work that is necessary for a horror movie. When it comes to building up to Jumpscare scenes, John Carpenter is a real master, and there is no better example than Halloween. But here all the jump scares fall entirely flat, and felt so cheap and poorly-executed. Not to mention that the assault and attack scenes are completely ruined by too many cuts. It's so weird that Halloween, which came out two years before The Fog, seems to be way more fresh and modern than this movie. Honestly, I became more interested in the characters and the story from the middle of the second act. The third act is very good, and full of intense moments, but it's a bit rushed, especially near the very end. (6.5/10)

• Oct 27, 2018

The fog will consume you.

The fog will consume you.