The Forest Reviews

• Jan 07, 2021

If you like spending your time watching characters making the wrong decisions in every turn, this movie is for you. Producing movies and acting is a craft, writing a script where the characters make the stupid choices so they can suffer the terrible consequences is just gut wrenching. I began watching this movie in good faith, midway I knew this was going to be a complete disaster, welcome to a disappointing review.

• Dec 05, 2020

Spoiler (Not really) If you know someone who visits a forest were people go to commit suicide. They probably aren't alive. How does someone cheer for a character or see themselves in one that is so beyond dumb. Again save yourself some time and skip this movie it is so boring its not even good.

• Nov 18, 2020

It would be a great idea to flush out more about this suicide forest. I mean you can't get creepier than that. Every horror fan knows this Forest book hasn't been used in many movies. I just bought the editing and the acting was horrible. The directing to really. I mean how can you take all that potential horror to make it boring?

• Nov 09, 2020

Rating: 7/10. 70/100

Rating: 7/10. 70/100

• Oct 18, 2020

The Forest has a creepy enough atmosphere, but it's not enough to make up for the confused plot and lack of scares. I had my eye on this movie since it came out earlier this year. It was a January release so I was in no rush to see it, but it had a genuinely cool premise: looking for someone in the suicide forest, which is an actual place in Japan where people go to commit suicide. It's pretty unsettling. In the movie, it's said that the forest compels people to kill themselves due to supernatural forces or vengeful spirits. The Forest focuses on Sara, whose sister has gone missing in said forest, and Sara's desperate endeavors to find her sister despite the evidence pointing to her being dead. Up until about the 30-minute mark, I was on board. The pieces were set, the exposition was established, and the characters (Sara, her journalist friend Aiden, and a tour guide) were finally heading into the forest. Again, the atmosphere is creepy throughout. The director clearly has a grasp on how to build tension. The problem is that the promising build ups lead to zero payoffs. There are handful of cheap jump scares, a couple of which admittedly shocked me but only momentarily. Once the initial shock wore off seconds later I was in the same state of mind as before. Effective jump scares linger for a while; they imbue dread and usually add something to the narrative. The jump scares here are your typical, "Boo! Something's behind you!", which are easy to shrug off. Also, once they're in the forest, the characters make some decisions that are unfathomably stupid and out-of-character. Like, the main point of the forest is that it makes you think you see things, a psychedelic effect if you will. So after Sara receives this crucial information, she runs after the first thing she sees scurrying around in the forest. While it's pitch black, mind you. It completely takes you out of the movie and makes you lose all empathy for the characters for putting themselves in these avoidable situations. Also, The Forest focuses more on the bond between Sara and her sister than the actual forest. So there are plenty of flashbacks, dream sequences, all that garbage that just muddles the fact that, hey, this forest is really f*cking scary. Why not focus on the forest instead of forcing character development, if you can even call it that? It makes no sense. Also, there's nothing we haven't seen before. People being hung? First scene in Sinister. Claustrophobic underground tunnels? The Descent. The only thing that makes the movie unique is the actual setting which is used as a backdrop more than anything. The acting is good, as is the premise, but the potential littered within this movie is never fully realized. The director can definitely creep you out but he'll need a better script if he wants to make a truly great movie. The Forest just leaves you feeling hollow and disappointed.

• Oct 10, 2020

I hesitate to even use the word "trope," because a trope can be customized and built on to make something great. This movie was full of clichés. Tired, tired clichés. I should've known when the guide's name was "Michi" (the Japanese word for "path"... because he guided them along the path of the forest...) that there was nothing here, but the name "Hoshiko" ("starchild") appeared I was intrigued. Nah, just another ghost. It's all dumb ghosts, nothing interesting. In fact, the entire ending was just a rip-off of The Grudge. The protagonist flashes back and realizes the truth through the haunting visions she was seeing and then dies. Also, final scene jumpscare. OooOoOOooooOooh~ Yeah, skip this one. Not worth the time. I misread the score on here when I was looking around for something to watch and didn't realize how rotten it was.

• Sep 19, 2020

Twin goes to Aokigahara forest to find her missing sister, realises her father murdered her mother years ago and then dies whilst her sister leaves the forest.

• Sep 12, 2020

Beautiful scenery and top-notch cinematography make this almost worth the watch. The storyline has holes like a sieve, and it never makes any connections to make the plot cohesive. It makes me want to hit my head against a wall when she decides to stay at her sister's campsite when she only came for a day hike. Who needs food or water, anyhow.

• Sep 11, 2020

It has ghosts, it has atmosphere, it's well-acted and scary. Yes, it tries too hard in some respects, but it's a respectable effort, and it works well enough to be worth watching.

• Aug 06, 2020

Such a wasted opportunity! Great premise, but horrible execution. Imagine being trapped in a dark Forest supposedly haunted by the tortured souls of countless thousands of suicide victims. The thought kind of gives you chills, doesn't it? Too bad this movie doesn't even come close to doing the same. One or two decent jump scares, but that's it. 2 stars is probably generous...But I've seen much worse in this genre, that's for sure!