The Gatekeepers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gatekeepers Reviews

May 15, 2016
Impressive for a society to have the strength of self criticism
November 3, 2015
A significant documentary that shows the situation far more clearly and in more detail than anything before. It doesn't give much hope, talking of tactics without strategy and pointing towards much more fundamental causes than politics - although it avoids looking at the religions of either side, from where strategy is indicated does come.
September 27, 2015
6 former heads of Israel's secret svce the Shin Bet talking about the state of Israel after 67, the rise & fall of the peace accord, and the state its in today :sobering last words, "Israel may have won every single battle, but it's lost the war."
½ June 10, 2015
If you're an international relations major, which I am, this movie doesn't give you much that you couldn't have just picked up from McNamara's Fog of War movie or from actually reading and researching and doing your homework and all that. It was overhyped, but it's still passable entertainment/infotainment/information/whatever you want to call it. Shrug.
May 20, 2015
Insightful and informative.
½ March 29, 2015
Fascinating look into the internal workings of Israeli intelligence since l967--which at the core contains a serious indictment of the occupation concept itself. This is worthy of all of our attentions, particularly in light of recent events. I commend it to your attention
February 10, 2015
Eye opening documentary on the Israel-Palestine conflict. Told by the ex-heads of Shin Bet (Israel' intelligence agency). Breaks stereotype.
February 7, 2015
Not as tense and engaging as advertised, but still a most interesting watch given that something like this hasn't been attempted up to the film's genesis. Some controversial information is shared with the audience but somehow the blades don't cut as deep as the should. The Shin Bet heads talk honestly but fail to connect with the audience on a desired level given the rather loose structure of the story which doesn't follow any sort of fixed chronology or narrative. The film rather focuses on certain points and notions which dilute the film's impact. The talking heads direction does get repetitive and the archive footage and animations seeks to add some visual interest but do so only half way. Still, for anyone remotely interested in the subject of secrecy and spying this is a worthwhile endeavor.
December 27, 2014
Excellent documentary detailing the friction between the Israeli government and Shin Bet. For anyone interested in Middle Eastern politics, this is an eye opening must. Very well balanced documentary making.
December 16, 2014
A revealing, brutally honest & refreshingly frank documentary exploring the relationship between the recollections of 6 former heads of the Shin Bet & their viewpoints now. Often harrowing, scathing & absorbing in equal measure it is all surmised with the stark comment that 'One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter'
November 15, 2014
An excellent, compelling documentary. The frank testimony of these former directors of Shin Bet provides thoughtful and disturbing insights into the Israeli - Palestinian statemate.
½ October 26, 2014
Rather hard hitting for Sunday evening BUT its a gripping documentary about the conflict in israel as told fromthe Shin Bet organization
October 18, 2014
This is a spellbinding film about key figures from Israel's security apparatus, the Mossad.
½ October 8, 2014
To many talking heads but the information is interesting and a look behind the secrecy of one of the worlds best military forces was thought provoking.
August 9, 2014
Insightful Israeli documentary interviewing 6 former directors of the Israeli Shin Bet since 1980. It is surprising how the highest security establishment of Israel have grown so disillusioned with their political leadership and recognize the danger of colonialism corrupting the state of Israel in the absence of a real peace process.
A must see for all interested in the Middle East.
July 20, 2014
Review not finished
(A lot of blather, never finished.)
-----
I felt I learnt some interesting aspects of Israeli life from this. More than you would from propaganda coming from either side of the conflict.

Ok, the film appears to present a cogent/relevant analysis that transcends the biases associated with those who argue most about the conflict. It presents itself as such/It wants you to think this anyway.

It appears to transcend in this regard, but I could be mistaken. The belief that it does transcend, involves a leap of faith on my part. Given the films conclusions, the desire for said leap reveals my own 'wants' prior to watching the film. So maybe it is propaganda after all. A film to suit myself. And other blather.

One does have suspicions, even from my private satisfaction in the conclusion, that the full truth of the situation is not revealed, that there has been a compromise in this portrayal of history, given the logistics of making the documentary i.e. the history/background of the intelligent men providing the words and the games needed to get them to contribute. The film feels in some ways tentative, not drilling them for truth during the interviews, but still getting a lot from them anyway, from what they are willing to confide. At any rate - As a by-product of listening to men deeply immersed in the conflict, you do learn a lot of detail.

I want to think it transcends propaganda, but I'm not going to pretend I am highly knowledgeable of the subject.

As a film:
Review to be completed.
July 18, 2014
boring doc, fell asleep
½ July 13, 2014
Wow. Really riveting and frightening to realize the Middle East will never have peace if the same course of action is used. Even the former leaders of Shin Bet realize this.
May 27, 2014
Hard to get into. Not as gripping or as interested as expected
½ May 14, 2014
A bit jumpy and therefore confusing documentary. It was interesting to hear both sides justification for "doing good" by either freedom fighting or stopping terrorists.