The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Reviews

½ July 10, 2016
Took me a long time to understand the plot and to understand what in the world I am watching. Acting was great, but it really is a movie you have to pay attention to this movie, getting sidetracked for a few minutes will throw you off big time.
½ July 7, 2016
Good but a little slow
July 5, 2016
It may be long, but it's great; and it proves that some remakes can in fact be as good, or even better, than the original. plus, Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander. nuff said
½ July 2, 2016
Really good. Not as good as the Swedish version. Wish they continued the series.
July 1, 2016
David Fincher's punk style meshes with a dark yet compelling story.
May 29, 2016
An amazing performance by Rooney Mara, displaying her full commitment to the role which is easily noticeable in the movie, on top that, an intriguing story, has made The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a dark, but yet a work of genius in it's own way. Also I didn't personally like how there was so many things going on, and you were suppose to keep up with it, at times I found things hard to understand not because of how difficult or complex they were, but because of how much information the move was telling in every five minutes. But then again, it is a personal opinion, so some people might have had no problem understanding the large amounts of information. Overall, It may have been great, but the ending feels disappointing, feels as if something is missing.
May 24, 2016
Buenos actores para una historia que ya conocía del libro y que no me ha aportado nada nuevo pero que ha estado bien recordar
May 19, 2016
David Fincher's version has some significant changes but keeps the dark and ardent atmosphere of the 2009 film, however it's hardly a match for the Swedish original.
May 9, 2016
It's a little too long, and some scenes don't work, but Fincher's directing, and the writing, save it from not being good. Rooney Mara gave the performance of her lifetime, with complete committment to the role, she transforms into her character!
May 3, 2016
Fincher's direction is always fucking mad. This film is slick, atmospheric, eventful and at times creepy like "Se7en"; I had a ball and in my opinion this film stands alone in spite of the recent release of the 2009 Swedish adaptation.
½ April 27, 2016
creepy But quite good after you get passed a few questionable seems scenes
½ April 15, 2016
I'd say for someone who's read and loved Larsson's novel, this adaption of Lisbeth's story is one that meets expectations, but doesn't really go that extra mile. It feels sort of impersonal and detached to the beauty I found in reading it. And I suppose to those who haven't read the novel, I feel like the story will present itself as very flat and unintelligible. The film itself has received good ratings I believe solely for its tale, but not its depiction. Great, still though for Larsson's feminist literature coming across as a powerful female character who won't take anyone's shit.
April 4, 2016
one of the worst movies I have ever! seen
April 3, 2016
Great picture, great soundtrack
I hope they do the other 2 movies
March 27, 2016
David Fincher at his finest, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is both a great adaptation of a fantastic book but also a disturbing look into the human psych, lead by a bravura performance by Rooney Mara, a great visual look and feel, and a hypnotic score by Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor. Simply amazing.
March 26, 2016
David Fincher's film of the first of the Millennium Trilogy books is an extremely well paced and narratively satisfying psychological thriller. There are significant differences from the Norwegian film but Fincher essentially tells the same story - albeit with a very different visual style and characterisations from Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. Mara is wonderful as the socially withdrawn, attachment-disordered researcher / hacker Lisbeth Salander, and it is sad that neither Fincher nor she appear to be involved with a continuation of the series.
March 6, 2016
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an adaption from the world famous book written by Stieg Larrson. It tells the story of a fiancial reporter hired Swedish industrialist looking to redeem himself from his past actions by solving a family murder mystery. I thought this film was really well done. David Fincher's dark take on the films story benefited the movie in so many ways. The entire tone and theme of the film is so creepy and chilling in so many scenes but it is so fantastic to watch. Daniel Craig and Rooney Marra are terrific. Both actors are extremely devoted to their roles making them very convincing and believable. Their chemistry on screen also binds perfectly with each other, both two dark mysterious characters that I really enjoyed watching. The films pace is also remarkably fast. You would think a film nearly three hours long will drag at times or get really slow, but not this one. I was completely invested into the story getting fed with engaging dialogue and gritty details. I also loved the visual aspect of the film. The cold snowy scenes really added to chilling, dark perspective Fincher was going for. If I could nitpick a little, I'd say towards the last 15-20 minutes dragged on just a tad but that's about it. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with stellar performances, great visuals, and a thrilling story that anybody will appreciate.
½ March 2, 2016
I preferred the original version
March 1, 2016
September 29th 1966, 16 year old Harriet Vanger (Moa Garpendal) disappears without a trace
from her family's isolated island estate in Sweden after a provincial fair.

Today, Millennium magazine's crusading investigative journalist Mikel Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) emerges from a gruelling high-profile court case after receiving a hefty fine and a fatal blow to his credibility for running a corruption story on businessman Wennerstrom (Ulf Friberg) which turned out to be false.

Interrupting his self-flagellation, Blomkvist is surprisingly sent for by one of Sweden's wealthiest industrialists and venerable business tycoon Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer).

Obsessed in solving the 35 year old mystery of his lost grandniece Harriet before the elderly patriarch's own death, Vanger commissions Blomkvist to investigate 'the most detestable people imaginable' consisting of Nazis, rapists, alcoholics, murderers; his dysfunctional family.

But before Vanger even considered the diminished careered writer, his security firm engaged a professional but unorthodox young hacker, Lisbeth (Rooney Mara) to run thorough background check to intimately personal detail.

Bi-sexual, multi-pierced, heavily tattooed and steely faced, Lisbeth is a true product of the system. A troubled punk-chick who bears the scars of being a ward of the state since the age of 12 and lumbered with a legal guardian who demands sexual favours, repeatedly violating and abuses her, Lisbeth is no-one's victim.

Utilising her weapons of intelligence, resourcefulness and unparalleled technological abilities, the distrustful and ruthless girl finds her way out of any situation. When the morally scrupulous Blomkvist's investigation hits a wall, Vanger engages Lisbeth and her gifts to dig deeper.

As the duos paths intersect they uncover dark secrets, attract deadly danger and each other whilst unearthing some ugly revelations.

This intricately dense and edgy thriller is a film of substance. An English remake by director David Fincher of 2009's Danish director Niels Arden Oplev Swedish adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling Millennium trilogy, this is a story with a great sense of place, intriguing relationships and an enigmatic central character.

Although some seduced by the novel or the original film may not feel the need for an English reworking and dismiss this film as just another Hollywood money grab, it does in fact stand alone with decidedly different strengths.

The marvellous pop-culture character Lisbeth; originally portrayed by the wonderfully commanding Noomi Rapace who inspired fear and awe, is now played by Rooney Mara. With just as much impact but with a more quiet intrigue to her presence, Mara delivers both innocence and volatility in balanced measure.

Blomkvist, pioneered by Michael Nyqvist now replaced with Daniel Craig is perhaps the only casting misstep. Not due to Craig's acting; which surprisingly is very good, but his age. The chemistry between Craig and Mara is palpable, but with the age gap almost 10 years closer, it doesn't deliver on the same level of emotional complication as depicted in both predecessors.

Plummer's Vanger is pitch perfect and Stellan Skarsgård brings gravitas and cultural credibility to his role as Martin Vanger.

The Scandinavian cultural setting is was crucial to the ambient tone, cinematographer Jeff Cronenweth captured the inert chill of Vanger's private island brilliantly. The enthralling 158 minutes of running time spans emotions from curiously clever forensic detail to a disgustingly justifiable graphic and harrowing rape scene without lagging.

The Verdict: With a slick intensity, The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo English version holds a place in its own right amongst the Millennium mythology, congratulation's to a film maker who didn't feel the need to drown a great story with underlying cultural conventions.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age