The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Reviews

February 13, 2017
David Fincher showing again why he is one of the best directors in Hollywood. This film is incredibly made. It is a dialogue driven film. Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara have great chemistry together and work off each other well. Mara deservedly was nominated for the best actress Oscar. This is a dark movie so be prepared for that when going in. Another great crime/drama that Fincher does so well.
January 31, 2017
"Millenium - the men who did not love women," for that is, what a strong name, just as the film is also strong, with a seven-faced and a zoadic painted, fincher's investigative suspense hits again. We have here a very well worked script, not only in the construction and immersion of what is being investigated, but in the construction of an environment as a whole, its two protagonists are spectacularly presented and developed, all their nuances and dikes are shown, not always Played in the viewer's face, but for those who are paying attention, he perceives everything that guides our protagonists, just as the Vanger family, all their hatred of inheritance, their feuds and disagreements are extremely immersive, fault of this excellent fincher script that tells the story of Mikael Bomkvist (Daniel Craig) and Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), a man who lives within social standards but is professionally discredited and a woman living out of social standards very professionally credited, the two unite to investigate a case in a family, Where there has been a disappearance more than 30 years. The film talks about invasion of privacy, domestic violence and abuse in a rough way, is like a punch in the stomach, the character of Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara) is incredible, a Gothic, with a completely opposite look of what is described in Social conventions that fight against itself in a search for something real. Technically, the film is very good, first the photography, we have nothing from another world, but the photography is always sober, gray, with darker tones, very traditional Fincher films, except in moments of flashbacks, there the Lighter tones take over, the film is clear and with a paler color palette, we can observe a care in this matter in every film, and the soundtrack is always sagacious, nothing memorable, but it is there, always. Rooney Mara, accustomed to cute roles is here completely decharacterized, and makes a very sober acting, just like her partner. Finally, "Millenium - Men who did not love women" is a movie that pleases.
January 25, 2017
Once again, Fincher demonstrates why he is one of the most unique directors ever and one of the few that can make a movie AS good as the book based off.
January 16, 2017
The moment this film gets under your skin, it stays there.
In the end you feel just how the girl with the dragon tattoo feels.
January 15, 2017
I liked the "Americanized" version. I wish they would make the others
January 9, 2017
Truly one of my favorite films from one of my favorite directors. This film is full of beautiful imagery and amazing performances. An impeccably crafted thriller that thoroughly entertains
½ January 7, 2017
Never read the book and din't expect much from the film. I was wrong mainly owing to the superb casting of Craig and particularly Rooney Mara whose performance dominates the film. Great storyline and well directed.
January 7, 2017
- Watched this a 2nd time and enjoyed it. David Fincher directs it with such style and Rooney Mara is excellent. The film has tremendous atmosphere. I'd have to watch the original film again to say which I liked more, but from what I recall they are different and both well done.

- I thought this was a really well made film. I haven't seen the original yet so can't compare them, but this very was good. I really like Rooney Mara in the lead role and Daniel Craig was good as well. Fincher is on quite a hot streak in my opinion, in fact I have pretty much liked all his films. Check it out!
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 22, 2016
This is the kind of movie Fincher was born to make and he made another damn good crime/drama with amazing performances. The movie was brutal, realistic, and very dark, he shines the most when making this sort of movie. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is an amazing movie, it could have used more character development though.
½ November 28, 2016
The girl with the dragon tattoo is a remake of a successful Swedish film that was itself an adaption of a book. The book is the first in a series and though the movie is a wonderful standalone, you can tell that they hoped to do more. The sequels though have been post poned for some time, but rumors swirl of Fede Alvarez to Direct. The director on the 2011 film was the meticulous David Fincher. He worked the story into submission. The film won a best editing Oscar to inform how well put together it is.

Mara Rooney dug deep into this role, that comes off lie a female superhero. Jessica drw is pretty much the Salamander charcters with powers. She plays the part with great contrast to Daniel Craig, whos charcter's life is tough in different ways. The list of potential suspects are also performed well and lead you to believe anyone on this little island could be the criminal. One such performance is by the gentle men from marvels "Thor/Avengers", who gives a layered performance of his character who is also putting on a performance.

Having never seen the original or first adaption of the source material I am totally unaware of what could have been. Critics say it was more faithful to the books, but nevertheless. This adaption is moving and confident with each step. The Swedish setting was a nice change of pace from the Americas that we most often see on film. In between the meaty parts, this thriller does seem like a TV show thats gone on far too long. This is due in part to it needed to cover so much ground in order to get to the next reveal and because they are leadin up to sequels. Being a lover of sequels and having a potential looming by the Evil Dead director, I honestly hope Rooney comes back due to her commitment to the role. Otherwise we might get the same girl from all Alvarez's movies, Jane Levy. The film is worth more than one watch
November 13, 2016
Another brilliantly well crafted thriller from the modern master, David Fincher. The only issues being excessive product placement and a hammy, boring villain.
Grade: B+
October 29, 2016
When a master director such as Fincher gets to adapt a book into the big screen, magic unfolds. The dark tone, masterful sound mixing and design, the acting, the writing, etc. It all oozes into the screen in the best possible way. At this point in his career, Fincher could film a man painting a wall and he would still find a way to make it interesting. We are extremely lucky to have such an incredible director working today. Please, do yourself a favor and don't just watch this film, but watch all of Finchers' movies. I highly recommend them all.
½ October 24, 2016
I really hated the book.
½ October 22, 2016
4,5/5 Ratings for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
F: 86%
R: 14%
Action Adventure
October 21, 2016
Great film, Great remake. Seriously, both the Swedish version and the American version were great and so were the books, do not listen to any critics. I know good films, and I know how seldom a good movie comes along among the usual garbage that is pumped out annually, the story is refreshing, the characters are intriguing, and you end up wanting more. I believe this is a very capable franchise, and since the books themselves were so great and well read it would be very easy to give us more into the world of these fascinating characters. You may need to pay close attention to understand it, but it is without a doubt a classic, one of the few that is put out during the yearly one hundred or so crap films. That being said, to the writers and director, PLEASE MAKE MORE. Thank you, from a satisfied movie fan.
October 9, 2016
In my humble opinion, this is a poorer version of the superior and original Swedish adaptation. Is the Swedish version more faithful to the source material of the book? I cannot say because I haven't read it. But what I can tell you is that the Swedish version is simply a better told/paced, engaging, and well rounded story with (lead) characters whom you can get to know, like, and sympathise with.

I found this very difficult with Fincher's take, in which the story and characters are kept at arms length from the audience. Lisbeth is also much colder and withdrawn, and although nobody can possibly condone the terrible things that she has had to endure in her troubled past, I found little in her to sympathise with. Likewise, Daniel Craig's Mickael is more of a husk and defeated man, and unlike the Swedish version, I felt no real bond or connection between the two main leads in both the solving of the crime/mystery with which they were presented, and the personal emotional connection which they flirt with while trying to crack the case.

Due largely to Lisbeth's abusive past, the audience can accept that such a person would naturally be cautious and keep their cards close to their chest. But in the Swedish version this accomplished whilst also showing us glimpses of warmth, emotion, and humanity, whereas Fincher decides to keep Lisbeth more or less catatonic. I cannot possibly get on board with a character like that, even I do regret hearing about her abusive past.

To summarise, buy and watch the far superior Swedish version. 3/5
September 28, 2016
Absolutely thrilling from start to end. Mara is incredible beyond all words!
August 31, 2016
Pretty slow to be honest and some very unnecessary scenes. The rape scene n the dead cat scene.. What the fuck?. Is that even necessary.?? I hate seeing that kind of shit.

Otherwise Good actors n over-all plot (but like I said it was drawn out).
½ August 30, 2016
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is relentless, brutally captivating, great performance by Daniel Craig, and Rooney Mara. The story was great, it wasn't boring at all. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a rare action/drama film that is astonishing.