The Great Magician (Daai mo seut si) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Magician (Daai mo seut si) Reviews

½ August 23, 2014
A clever dog is still a dog.

A revolution in China breaks out and takes down the Qing Dynasty. To prove their power over the dynasty, the revolutionaries kidnap a leader of the Qing Dynasty's daughter. The Qing Dynasty make plans to sneak back into power. Meanwhile, a strange magician arrives in the middle of these events and starts making appearances everywhere. He is angling to rescue the kidnapped girl due to a romantic history they have.

"I know these walls can't hold you. How long before you escape?"

Tung-Sing Yee, director of Full Throttle, Endless Love, Lost in Time, One Night in Mongkok, Drink-Drank-Drunk, and Triple Trap, delivers The Great Magician. The storyline for this is pretty intricate and the performers are fun and fascinating. There are some special effects that were a bit overdone but the acting and action were solid. The cast includes Tony Chiu Wai Leung, Xun Zhou, and Ching Wan Lau.

"Forget her. She's being rude as usual."

I grabbed this off Netflix because I am a fan of most Tony Chiu Wai Leung's films. This was entertaining and fun to watch unfold but I wouldn't say this is one of the favorite films of his (Infernal Affair, Hero, In the Mood for Love, etc). Overall, I would recommend seeing this but I wouldn't make this my first picture to view of Tony Chiu Wai Leung's.

Grade: B-
June 27, 2014
light hearted, whimsical, well acted and thoroughly entertaining. This little gem coming out of china is great for a night time viewing on netflix in a sea of lesser choices on the streaming giant.
½ May 23, 2014
Comments were boring, but it seems a deeper meaning inside as Derek Yee's movie may not easy.
½ January 15, 2014
It started off witty and clever and then by 2/3 you are wondering what the hell is going on?!? It's ok, not great due to ending.
½ January 5, 2014
Charismatic performance by Tony Leung and some decent special effects elevate this film above average.
½ November 20, 2013
Has a neat idea but either the translation is off or the editing. Nothing makes any sense and characters appear and disappear at random
½ October 20, 2013
Le Grand Magicien contient un certain charme sympathique et un côté historique intéressant sans toute fois parvenir à vraiment divertir,
October 19, 2013
It wasn't bad, but it dragged at times and there weren't any really good fight scenes. The plot twist wasn't that good either.
½ August 10, 2013
What starts out as a relatively predictable plotline suddenly introduces twists and turns which in my opinion acts to the detriment of the film, and some subplots disappears within explanation as it goes from an intriguing suspense film to farcical lightweight comedy, stretching the suspension of disbelief past tolerable levels. However the charm and personality of the three main leads helps to sustain it, and they seem to transition well from seriousness to comedy with ease.
½ July 15, 2013
an entertaining little fantasy that has famiky feature over it if they toned the action down a tad. the story was good ans the effects of magic was good. a good watch.
½ May 17, 2013
(2013/05/18/web) Interesting in the beginning and goes to worse and worse in the end...
April 27, 2013
honestly this is not Tony's best but it's a testament to his diversity as an actor, in accepting roles of this nature, some would say slapstick even. The story is purely comedic romance and you wouldn't have guessed it looking at the poster. I personally thought it was ok but it greatly played on "the prestige" story.
½ March 18, 2013
I liked the movie. It beat the heck out of Man With the iron Fist and Crouching Tiger. I am generally not a fan of Chinese martial arts genre movies, but this was different. The cinemetography was brilliant, the setting was period authentic, and the acting was better than average. The special effects were awesome! The movie is about a man who returns after 3 years to save his fiance, and her father, from an evil warlord. The plot takes some twists and turns, so you are never really sure of the good guys from the bad. The best part is the dazzling magic tricks. Some may be computer tricks, and some are revealed as slight-of-hand, but its all fascinating! In addition, you get a little martial arts, but just enough to make it interesting. There's some drama, some lightheartedness, and a love story of sorts. Its a fun watch. But be forwarned, for those of us who are English only speakers, the audio is in Chinese. So, be prepared to use subtitles. For me, that really didn't take anything away from this movie!
March 3, 2013
Family friendly fun.
October 27, 2012
Better than the first
August 18, 2012
Charming... quite a nice romantic comedy hidden in a historical piece set in the early part of the 20th Century... all leads where great to watch and I really am becoming quite a fan of LAU CHING WAN. Very enjoyable entertainment... (good productions values also).
May 27, 2012
Fun and silly; weak third act.
April 15, 2012
Similar to The Illusionist, with a capable all-star cast, mutates with parlor-trick agility from romance to farce, homaging at one time stage performers, cinema manipulation of reality, and the greatest magic of all in chinese flicks: the wuxia genre.
April 13, 2012
fun but I dun like the ending..