The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reviews

July 24, 2016
This Lord of the Rings prequel suffers from not being as light or charming as the novel, but Jackson's visual style is a plus.
July 22, 2016
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: A bit of editing (way too long, get to the mountain already!) and some reworking of the CGI (at times it tried too hard and looked phony) would have gone a long way to improving Peter Jackson's part one prequel to his wildly-successful Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Despite those shortcomings, the film still manages to entertain, and should delight the story's most diehard fans. Seeing the magnificent scenery in 3D does add an extra + boost to its rating. B
½ July 21, 2016
A fun return to Middle Earth, back in the care of Peter Jackson. Fun characters, fun action, a bit too much CGI for my personal taste, but still a fun and exciting story that's always on the move.
½ July 20, 2016
It's like the Star Wars prequels, thrown together to make money and way to much CGI...
½ July 17, 2016
Maybe someday they'll make a movie based on JRR Tolkien's book, "The Hobbit."
½ July 16, 2016
i want to see so bad!!
½ July 16, 2016
Hard to believe that in nearly three hours they only cover a portion of relatively short book - and not very well. A huge disappointment when compared to the brilliance of LOTR trilogy. All the padding and special effects prove to be just an ominous portend of what's to come. Be warned!
July 11, 2016
It is a very slow movie but if your patient you will love the beauty of the world and the personality of the characters.
½ July 11, 2016
An overall boring prequel to LOTR that lacks a lot of what made its predecessors so great.
½ July 11, 2016
9.0/10
The Hobbit surprised me on many levels. It followed the book very well. It also added many things that fit right in with the story and also helped clarify some points that were hard to understand in the book. The parts added to the story that are not in the book really fit in well with the story and made the movie better for me. The casting was great and it was nice to see Frodo, Gollum, and Gandalf again, as well as many other characters from Lord of the Rings. A complete surprise and well worth seeing.
July 10, 2016
Enjoyed this far more than I expected I would, although some of the fight scenes (expecting everybody to survive) were a bit silly.
½ July 10, 2016
Maybe it's just me but found it too slow and got bored and switched off
½ July 9, 2016
I have New Zealand's incredible landscapes coming out of my ears, and seeping into my dreams (thankfully without the orks)...there is only so much of that you can take!
A pity because The Hobbit is seems to be a touching story about a homebody moved to help a band of homeless find theirs. An intimate tale needlessly made epic.
½ July 8, 2016
It's nice to be back in Middle-Earth. Great actors, cool action scenes, epic soundtrack. It might be a bit slow at times, but it's never boring at all.
L-j
June 30, 2016
Would have been better without the additions to the book but still a brilliant film!
June 28, 2016
Painful to watch.. I'm talking about the normal edition. Never want to see the extended, and never will.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
June 28, 2016
First time I watched this, I thought I was going to the it when the dwarves began having a sing song. Now, I just skip that bit and really enjoy the film.
June 28, 2016
Hoping to ride the fan wave of Lord Of The Rings without any of the substance or appeal.
June 28, 2016
Worth it for the extra scenes.