The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reviews

March 23, 2018
Not sure why this movie, and really the entire trilogy, gets such a bad rap. Sure, they aren't as good as LOTR but since when has not being as good as LOTR meant that a movie is terrible? Peter Jackson masterfully takes the material from the books and converts it into movie form with admittedly taking a few liberties and a little too much CGI on the way.
½ March 22, 2018
THE HOBBIT is a action film.All the characters have very good make up . The story is very original. And the actors are very good. The special effects are very very good.The film is about one hobitt (Bilbo) and 13 dwarves (Thorin, Fili ,Kili , Dori, Nori, Ori ,Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Gloin, Oin, Balin and Dwalin) and a wizard (Gandalf).
My favourites characters are Balin and above all ,Gandalf.
There are three films :
-A Unexpected journey.
-The desolation of Smaug.
-The battle of five armies.
½ March 19, 2018
So here we are, back in Middle-Earth. With a brand new tale, adventure and journey. But this time, I'm a little disappointed. With a slow pace, discombobulated story and hardly any correlation to the books, Peter Jackson ruins everything J.R.R. Tolkien's great book stood for. But yet, great acting and visuals still make this adaptation pretty good. But like most sequel/prequels this one doesn't live up to any of its predecessors.
March 14, 2018
The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey brings you back to the majestic Middle Earth! A really entertaining fantasy adventure!
½ March 10, 2018
I went to this movie with very low expectations, for one, I believe the original LOTR triology, was real a let down. I'll never understand the lovefest with those films, yeah they were nothing more than decent movies at best. Also, this movie seemed to be getting seriously mixed reviews. Critics saying the movie was way too long, bloated, and a total waste of time. That's some serious criticism, I even heard a very respectable reviewer, called The Hobbit a utter piece of shit. Those were his exact words, so I was very doubtful I was even going to enjoy this. But I decided to go with my gut feeling and ignore the naysayers, I'm so glad I did.

This is easily the best film Jackson's done since the 90's, I totally enjoyed this film, from beginning to end. The Hobbit brought me back to my childhood, yes, I grew up on the book and cartoon. So I was hoping this film would live up to my standards I had set, well Mr.Jackson, you have my seal of approval. And to think I almost totally wrote you off and thought you were never return to your glory days, of making good movies.

I honestly think this film succeeds where the other LOTR films failed. Granted, The Hobbit is more of a children fantasy book than LOTR, Though Jackson added more violence to film, than what was ever in the book. Which worked and I had no problem with it. The Hobbit is also more lighthearted and homurous than LOTR, which makes more fun. The special effects here, are very very good. I felt really immersed into the realm of Middle-Earth, the acting here is also great.

Everyone that return from the original movies, seemed so pleased to be back for these new films. I originally questioned why Jackson would make The Hobbit into a triology, since the book is shorter than any of LOTR books. The Hobbit is like a 300 page book, where the other books are 1,000 pages a piece. I really don't mind doing a triology after seeing this, though one film would have been fine with me.

I say ignore the critics here, the fans know what their talking about. The Hobbit is one my favorites of the year, so glad to finally see Jackson's making quality films again, even if he's not getting the prasie he deserves for it. The Hobbit comes highly recommended and I can't wait for the next two installments! could a prequel triology honestly be better than the original? I might the only person right now, saying yes it can! And so far, so good!
March 5, 2018
Although the movie runs through a snail pace and the beginning is really boring and uninspiring, the movie still has the fantasy film magic and great characters to keep you wholly enjoyed.
February 28, 2018
I liked this movie, it was slower paced the LOTR but it allowed for more story telling and more time to build up to events instead of constant running from scene to scene. Well worth the watch
February 24, 2018
It was good enough to watch.
½ February 18, 2018
Visually stunning and narratively satisfying. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey throws you right back in the universe of J.R.R. Tolkien.
½ February 16, 2018
while it isn't as special as TLOTR. The Hobbit still manages to provide deep and interesting life to The Middle-Earth's hoping for a SOM Movie...
½ February 14, 2018
This movie sucked! Nothing like the first 3. Couldn't wait for it to be over!
½ February 8, 2018
A visually spectacular movie, with great performances, but with some pacing problems
February 4, 2018
An Unexpected Journey is a worthy entry in the Middle-earth saga. Even though it takes a while to get the adventure started the lengthy build-up is necessary if you don't know this timeless tale. Of the trilogy this one is the most beautifully shot. The colors are vibrant and the locations are breathtaking. Also, Martin Freeman absolutely nails it as Bilbo. He should've gotten a Best Actor nomination.
January 29, 2018
great start to the franchise they nailed it better than lotr
January 25, 2018
Beatiful and loyal movie!
January 24, 2018
when thorin approached azog it was insane
January 20, 2018
look, I know the Hobbit movie isn't exactly the same as the book. I also recognize that film is a different medium altogether. The hobbit is a thoroughly enjoyable film. I love the cast. Starting with Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. Richard Armitage is fantastic as Thorin Oakenshield. There are really to many great actors to name here. The music is great. I especially love the end credit song. There are so many places visited. This film is truly a grand adventure. If you love high fantasy do yourself a favor and pick up the extended cut of all three hobbit films.
½ January 20, 2018
The CGI looks really nice but beardless dwarves are just painful to look at. Besides, ambitions of this movie are way too high
January 17, 2018
The movie was just OK and got pretty boring but it looked amazing especially in 48 fps.
January 11, 2018
this movie is amazing. why do ppl h8te it so much?