The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
Considering the expectations set by the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit falls short, being both overlong and lacking in narrative focus.
January 14, 2017
As if I was watching LOTR with different carachters.
January 9, 2017
I seen this once when it came out and i have to admit as a whole its a little bit fuzzy to me, I do remember all the dwarfes and gandolf coming to bilbo baggins house at that taking ages, then the journey began dwarfes and elvs and hobbits and orcs and who can forget the little wizard that lives with the animals and the way he gets around on his little slay, i know i taught the movie was ok.
½ January 6, 2017
Just gets absolutely crippled by its pace because for some reason this relatively short book had to be split up into three three hour movies. The tone is basically a glorified kids movie and while I wasn't expecting anything really "dark" (because the book really isn't) I was hoping it would amount to more than just boring filler.
January 6, 2017
Not as grand as "The Lord of the Rings," but die-hard fans will be more than satisfied with this return to Middle Earth.
½ January 4, 2017
This is my favorite movie out of all Lord of The Rings Series. J. R. R. Tolkien wrote this one first which was aimed more for children. It has a more wholesome element to it than The Lord of The Rings.
January 3, 2017
Amazing. Don't need to say anything else about it.
½ December 29, 2016
having read the books a long time ago in a galaxy far away (inc. the silmarilion or whatever the F) and having seen the LOTR's films when they came out too but not really paying any attention to it all since then, this was a reminder of the imagination and creativity of J.R.R. Tolkien expertly put to screen once again by peter jackson. now fervently waiting to devour the desolation of smaug whenever it plays on TV.
December 28, 2016
This film takes up half of it's running time, and yes, it's the first half, with introductions, explanations, and who knows what. it really doesn't get cooking until the 2nd half, with of course, all the big monsters, chases and epic battles happening. The score here is nothing, Nothing to suck me in or memorable, Surprising in a film like this. At least this film did somewhat have an ending to make me curious about what happens next, but not by much.
December 25, 2016
A truly heart driven production that has such attention to both cinematic detail and story. Harsh critics only need to compare to the drivel being released the last 2 years. A true labour of love that fans of fantasy can delve into.
December 21, 2016
Way better than the reviews but not quite at the same level as the 3 LOTR movies.
½ December 18, 2016
It tries to move away from The Lord of The Rings trilogy too much, and ends up with a mix of fantasy, adventure and humour that may or may not be enjoyable to watch.
December 18, 2016
Emma 10/10. Lucy 9 /10.
½ December 15, 2016
The film that starts the tedious journey is anything but unexpected. Great visuals with bad pacing.
December 7, 2016
A glorious return to middle earth.
½ December 1, 2016
People always complain that there's no need to do a two-part movie on the very first book which I'll agree with the exception of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. However, when there's a three-part movie of The Hobbit, everybody including me were shocked and it didn't make any sense at all. For me, I'm going to review the movies as a separate whole, and not think about the comparisons to Lord of the Rings, or the fact that it's a three movie series to one book. So further due, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a really good movie that was a bit of a rough start. Ian McKellen is still great as always as Gandalf. Martin Freeman is terrific as young Bilbo Baggins and is just the right casting for him, especially when he kind of does look like a young Ian Holm. I've never heard of Richard Armitage before, but when he played Thorin Oakenshield, he certainly got my attention how very intimidating he is. Most of the characters are memorable, and the humor is pretty funny. Howard Shore comes back as the composer, and he still brought the classy music in this that made one aspect of The Lord of the Rings famous. The effects are very stylish, and the writing is good, but it feels like they were playing it a bit safe and didn't quite put their A game in this film. The main villain is very average and more of a distraction until it gets to Smaug. Some scenes stretch it out too long, and some scene were just pointless to be in this. The action scenes are great, and despite it being stretched too thin at times, and I was never bored of this film. There's a scene that the characters were talking about one of the main villains in The Lord of the Rings which would be fine if it was short, but even that was a bit stretched out which was almost getting to the point that I would get irritated because I know about it as I've watched The Lord of the Rings series. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a fun movie which would've been more fun if it wasn't so long and didn't add scenes in it that weren't necessary unless it's connected to the film itself.
½ November 26, 2016
An underrated prequel to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, the movie is more light-hearted than other movies in the series but that works for what this movie is, Bilbo Baggins is a great protagonist and the film captures the same spirit as The Lord of the Rings with impressive acting, SFX, action sequences, and story-telling.
November 13, 2016
A must see adventure!
November 12, 2016
At this point, Jackson has not been named as the director, but simply as an executive producer on the two films, which will be shot simultaneously. Pre-production is scheduled to begin as soon as possible, with principal photography tentatively set for a 2009 start. The goal is to have "The Hobbit" in theaters by 2010 and its sequel the following year.
November 11, 2016
The cartoon version is still better, but this wasn't terrible. It was fairly well cast. & while I wish there were more practical effects, it was still entertaining.