The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reviews

October 31, 2018
i like both the hobbit and lotr, they are great movies, can watch them again and again using boxxy software
October 15, 2018
Nostalgic. Love the way they changed quiet a bit but slow and could of fitted a lot more imo.
October 11, 2018
A good start for a new Lord of the Rings trilogy
½ October 5, 2018
The acting is fairly good, but much of the script and CGI is a little cheesy. Most of the changes from the book take away the drama of the story, even if they are more cinematically pretty, in a product that needed more drama. The exchange between Freeman and Serkis was entertaining and McKellen is as usual the powerhouse of these films. Armitage is very convincing and fun to watch, but there is a sense here and there that he is overacting just a tad. The film ending is alright but kind of ends in a random part of the story. It is still quite entertaining and I loved it when I first saw it in theater, especially the music, but the quality has definitely gone down since the original trilogy.
September 26, 2018
You loved the thrill of Lord of the Rings and its memorable moments. The minute you watch this movie you will see that it is a cash grab. Now this movie isn't horrible but it isn't great either. It does have moments you will remember. But there is so much side plot in this movie. Jackson added so much stuff to this movie that you forget its about Bilbo! No its about the precious (the one ring). I understand connecting your two trilogy like star wars did with the prequels but what the heck is Legolas doing in this movie. Why the love plot, why?! Just focus on our main protagonist Bilbo and the Dwarves. Its a little interesting to know where Gandalf went but that creates plot holes! Also there is an unnecessary villain, which is there to create more drama. BUT THERE IS SO MUCH DRAMA ALREADY. We don't need the fricking back story on Thorin. Who by the way is like one of the five dwarf names you'll remember. Once you throw your expectations and knowledge then the movie is fun. Yes LOTR deviated a little but not this much.
September 21, 2018
Welcome back to Middle-earth!
Thanks, I hate it.
September 10, 2018
Unable to match the stellar Lord of the Rings movies, this return to Middle Earth can be boring at sometimes, but the performances by Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, and Richard Armitage manage to save this movie.
September 2, 2018
Harry Potter is over, Disney gave up on Narnia, fans crucified the Percy Jackson movie for its differences from the source material in favour of a Harry Potter knockoff and the other attempts at fantasy like The Golden Compass and Eragon didn't work out. So for those who still enjoy fantasy-literature-based films, Peter Jackson created The Hobbit trilogy for those indifferent to the YA dystopia movies that began with The Hunger Games earlier in 2012. It may not be as great as the Lord of the Rings trilogy and those expecting a direct adaptation - which wasn't an LOTR prequel - will be disappointed big time. But what The Hobbit lacks in epicness, it makes up for with better visuals due to technological improvements over the last decade since Return of the King, great performances, gorgeous cinematography, amazing-looking sets and decent action sequences. One thing this movie does do better than the LOTR trilogy, in my opinion, is the protagonist. Although I don't hate the LOTR trilogy, one problem I had with the movie was that all Frodo did the entire trilogy was get his ass kicked and then saved. While he did have a legitimate excuse, I was a bit bummed out since I prefer more badassery in my protagonists. Bilbo goes through great lengths of character development and manages to actually contribute rather than just stand around waiting for his boyfriend to save him, whether he knows it or not. Aside from that though, The Hobbit doesn't measure up to what made the fantasy genre great again but An Unexpected Journey is far from bad.
August 15, 2018
I DIDN'T KNOW JUST HOW MUCH OF A SACRIFICE IT IS TO HAVE A FRIEND WHO LIKES THESE FILMS AND ME BEING THE ONE WHO HE DRAGS TO SEE THEM WITH LOL I DETEST THESE FILMS AND THE LORD OF THE RINGS ALSO
August 8, 2018
I wanted to like this movie, I really did. the first half-hour was pretty decent, but it all went downhill from there. from hokey CGI to unnecessary plotlines (created purely out of the need to make three movies), this movie (and the ones that follow) is a hot mess. completely overloaded and self-important. i feel bad that Peter Jackson had to make this.
August 6, 2018
Eyecandy, but not quite like the original material.
August 4, 2018
great starting to hobbit
½ July 26, 2018
If adapting a world like Middle-Earth was tough in the first place, the task here was even tougher. Imagining a book with a quite different version of this world whilst balancing with what had already been committed to film, and still providing enough that feels new. The result is a triumphant success on all these levels. Charming through and through, it balances the light tone of the book with the more serious one of the Lord of the Rings books and films, in fact better than Tolkien did. Consequently, it deviates a lot from the source material, although mainly in terms of additions, rather than subtractions or alterations. The new material - concurrent and past events not recounted in the book and elaborations for visual and thematic purposes - only enhance the experience and the story of Bilbo and Middle-Earth. Casting is perfect as always with the series, and returning faces have no loss of impact for their familiarity. It's not always consistently engaging, and the pacing is a bit off, but for the first third of a book the film stands surprisingly well on its own.
½ July 9, 2018
While it is nowhere as brilliant the Lord of the Rings, it manages to stand on its own two feet with spectacular effects and graphics and a return to the Shire, this time, focusing on Bilbo's journey.
July 7, 2018
It's sad to see a favourite book destroyed with the Lord of the Rings treatment - there it worked for me, not here. Totally overblown. It's a shame Peter Jackson had to add lots of stuff to the story. The troll scene was totally destroyed. Peter Jackson has totally missed the tone of the book.
½ July 1, 2018
I am by no means a massive fan of the LOTR trilogy or its prequel books however this quite simply was a masterpiece. Beautiful settings, incredible special effects, charm, drama and the action was intense. The scene between Baggins and Gollum was hair raising stuff. Yes, it is too long, and much has been made out of a relatively short story however in this case i am grateful. We have been served a work of art here. Everything Bilbo Baggins encountered in this film the audience encountered too, I felt his fear and displacement. These massive set pieces throughout the film are each memorable in there own way to make an overall just epic experience.
½ June 18, 2018
The long-awaited prequel to the Lord of the Rings has finally arrived after numerous director changes and expansion into three more Peter Jackson films. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey begins as we are familiar, in the Shire, specifically in the house of Bilbo Baggins. The style of filmmaking is familiar and equally as seductive as the original Lord trilogy. However, an inherently weaker story in The Hobbit naturally translates into a less interesting film. That isn't to say, however, that the film is bad. It certainly isn't. However, by the end of Fellowship of the Ring, I was endeared to Aragorn, Sam, etc. The cast of dwarves, which is prevalent in The Hobbit, just don't meet with the same appeal. By the third film, I may feel different. However, there were elongated components of this film that could have easily been trimmed, namely the first 45 minutes and some of the battle scenes. I also thought the interaction between Gollum and Bilbo was entirely too long, which leads me to believe that stretching this out to 3 films may be unnecessary. Again, I may feel differently by the end of this trilogy, as I recently watched all three extended Lord films in succession and feel like the trilogy was PERFECT. It's possible I will feel that way by the end of this one, but my gut is telling me I won't. I am looking forward to the next one, though, so that certainly says something.
May 16, 2018
Satisfying start to a new trilogy,good world building..nice characters.epic score
½ April 12, 2018
well-crafted prequel never reaches the heights of 'the lord of the rings' trilogy with a familiar script and regular-looking cgi. but although it's disappointing, the lightweight, episodic journey is still good fantasy and a modest adventure.