The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reviews

January 13, 2019
good movie dont know what the critics watched
January 9, 2019
This movie is decent. It give a good story and is fun to watch, along with having a terrific cast. It just feels so long. There is so much walking and showing the dwarfs' journey that you feel like the movie is four hours instead of three. It is also jam-packed with characters that aren't rememberable and no one will care for. The cgi isn't great, which is a let down, since the lord of the rings was full of amazing shots and terrific practical effects. This movie was a let down.
January 1, 2019
Great movie! Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo is amazing. Great action, thrills, and effects. I love it!
½ December 29, 2018
I will give this entire series of the Hobbit the same score. I love the book, but they tried to turn a small book into a three 3 hour movies which made it difficult to enjoy when you know the story. You want to see battle and excitement, or a lot more of Middle Earth. Awesome story.
½ December 29, 2018
Though long and unstructured, Peter Jackson returns to craftily deliver all the high-fantasy sword-and-sorcery thrills Tolkien fans crave, with fine cinematography, performances, and special effects wizardry.
½ December 28, 2018
while it isn't as special as TLOTR. The Hobbit still manages to provide deep and interesting life to The Middle-Earth universe...here's hoping for a SOM Movie...
I'll give it
- 75%
½ December 20, 2018
the hobbit is an embarassment to the lord of the rings universe, and is worse than the original trilogy in every way. it was very clearly a money grab, and does not deserve any praise or attention.
December 10, 2018
I've since seen the extended cut and must confess this is the superior version. The film has evolved since my first viewing which i compared heavily against The Lord Of The Rings. I think the film is going to be a rediscovered classic over time, this is so much different to its companion series. I enjoyed the pacing and performances, it has so much depth that it's a shame it was so harshly compared to the titan series that came before it. 2016-03-31.

Revisting this film you can help but feel Jackson attempted too much with the material. The series was based on the smaller of the books and was blown up to three films from one book, a recipe for strung out storytelling. The film is still a marvel to look at and it is a shame Hollywood doesn't spend further time in middle earth. I liked the film and while it isn't the quality of Lord of the Rings, it is still a great fantasy film. 09/12/2018.
December 2, 2018
I love Martin Freeman as Bilbo and the characters are great but it drags a lot and the story is quite slow and the pacing is a little bit inconsistant. But because it's in Middle Earth and the battles with the characters holds it up for me, but it feels a little bit boring and underwhelming.
December 2, 2018
I have loved ebývery movie about midlle earth. I growed up reading tolkien's books and for this reason I have really appreciated lotr and the hobbit movies.
November 29, 2018
I thought this was a fun movie.
½ November 26, 2018
I loved revisiting Middle Earth. Not quite as good as the originals, but I still loved it.
November 21, 2018
This rating is as an adaptation. On its own, it's probably a 3-3.5.
November 19, 2018
8/10 Flawed but fun.
November 16, 2018
This didnÔ(TM)t disappoint! The first act of this trilogy is a worthy prequel, while not fully living up to the original. The acting is on point, most notably from Freeman in the lead role. The special effects are delightful, and the plot moves at a decent pace. It may not be totally rewatchable, and that may be as a result of a lack of heart, but as a whole this part is promising!
October 31, 2018
i like both the hobbit and lotr, they are great movies, can watch them again and again using boxxy software
October 15, 2018
Nostalgic. Love the way they changed quiet a bit but slow and could of fitted a lot more imo.
October 11, 2018
A good start for a new Lord of the Rings trilogy
½ October 5, 2018
The acting is fairly good, but much of the script and CGI is a little cheesy. Most of the changes from the book take away the drama of the story, even if they are more cinematically pretty, in a product that needed more drama. The exchange between Freeman and Serkis was entertaining and McKellen is as usual the powerhouse of these films. Armitage is very convincing and fun to watch, but there is a sense here and there that he is overacting just a tad. The film ending is alright but kind of ends in a random part of the story. It is still quite entertaining and I loved it when I first saw it in theater, especially the music, but the quality has definitely gone down since the original trilogy.
September 26, 2018
You loved the thrill of Lord of the Rings and its memorable moments. The minute you watch this movie you will see that it is a cash grab. Now this movie isn't horrible but it isn't great either. It does have moments you will remember. But there is so much side plot in this movie. Jackson added so much stuff to this movie that you forget its about Bilbo! No its about the precious (the one ring). I understand connecting your two trilogy like star wars did with the prequels but what the heck is Legolas doing in this movie. Why the love plot, why?! Just focus on our main protagonist Bilbo and the Dwarves. Its a little interesting to know where Gandalf went but that creates plot holes! Also there is an unnecessary villain, which is there to create more drama. BUT THERE IS SO MUCH DRAMA ALREADY. We don't need the fricking back story on Thorin. Who by the way is like one of the five dwarf names you'll remember. Once you throw your expectations and knowledge then the movie is fun. Yes LOTR deviated a little but not this much.