The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reviews

June 25, 2017
Beautiful movie, alongside lotr. I would change nothing about it and would be really happy to see another one made. Huge fan! I think they did an incredible job with the movies everything was just right! I watch it over and over again, it's that amazing
½ June 15, 2017
While the greed of turning a 300 page book to a 9 hour trilogy is clear, Jackson's return to Middle- Earth is spectacular and entertaining.
June 9, 2017
There is no denying the majesty in Peter Jackson's visuals but nothing to compare with the Lord of The Rings Trilogy
June 9, 2017
I am a big fan of the hobbit can you put it on

???
June 4, 2017
The ending is the best in this film
June 3, 2017
amazing effects truly brings the story to life!!
June 2, 2017
Smug mega-nerd Peter Jackson and co have decided to avoid the source material all together in favour of making three-hour installments of crude humor, overdressed cast members, over-designed backdrops and massive, complex action sequences that all look, and feel, like computer game cinematics created by Blur Studios, complete with virtual camera moves and impressive but utterly unrealistic narrative. At no point does the Hobbit really fit into the piece, he doesn't even like the dwarves, nor want to go on an adventure with them; the basic dramatic tension between him, the dwarves, the elves and the orcs never has any feeling or emotion and the last shot is a set up for a sequel instead of a story ending. Ironically, it's a type of overproduced b-grade trash that you'd think you'd see from New Line or the old Canon group pictures. An impressive movie visually, but forgettable, mishandled and meaningless. In my humble opinion, the Pixar writers and and directors should have been brought in to improve the material, as many of the "acting" scenes in this long-form computer graphics movie feel extraneous or empty.
June 1, 2017
Why does this movie have musical numbers?
June 1, 2017
It followed the book except for Azog however Azog was a well developed character that did complement this movie and the story by giving it a good villain. There were good things about this movie but it was a little boring to tell the truth. It didnt get fun and exciting untill goblin town but at least the movie left off on a satisfying note.
½ May 30, 2017
An Unexpected Journey includes unexpected (and unwelcome) additional characters to those found in the book and shoddy cgi. A disappointing opening to an unnecessary trilogy.
May 29, 2017
Bilbo get visited by a gang of dwarfs intent on getting their gold and land back.
½ May 28, 2017
An Unexpected Journey is tough one to rate because I think it's a better film than what most critics give credit for. Why would you criticize the Hobbit for being very similar to the LOTR Trilogy? Of course it's similar, it should be as in takes place in the same Middle Earth portrayed in the LOTR with many of the same characters!

Now, I thought that generally the acting in the film was a little bit lacking, and to be honest I was hoping for a little better performance by Martin Freeman as my expectations for him were very high. However, Jackson does well by playing to his strengths and showcasing many of the same elements that made The Lord Of The Rings trilogy so great. Great visuals and an excellent portrayal of Tolkien's Middle Earth.

One of the biggest problems with the movie was the overall pace and unbalanced telling of the story. While in first 45 minutes had an excellent slowish pace, the next two hours of film had an insane amount of story progression which really lost much of its weight and meaningfulness as it all became rather jumbled and hard to follow.
½ May 14, 2017
With the same problems as the original Lord of the Rings trilogy (exposition overload and an unsatisfying ending) are made worse by an excessive use of CGI (feels less organic and real somehow than the older films) and the fact that the main characters (Bilbo and Gandalf) are immune to any sense of threat since we know they survive any trials they come across otherwise they wouldn't of been featured in the other films. That in turn removes all tension and excitement from any of the action scenes involving them along with making the dramatic scenes and setup seem inconsequential. However some of the magic and charm remains from the previous three films, the production on the whole is still solid, the score is once again majestic, the action despite lacking tension are still well played out, Martin Freeman is a great choice for Bilbo (the rest of the cast new or returnees are also great) and the scene involving Gollum was a treat. So yes it is flawed and no it doesn't even reach the lowest point of the original Lord of the Rings trilogy but it was nonetheless somewhat engrossing and entertaining.
½ April 30, 2017
Probably the only decent Hobbit film but still suffers from pacing issues. Its a shame they blew it by stretching The Hobbit into a trilogy.
½ April 30, 2017
While the release of the film has a commercial purpose due to the success of "The Lord of the Rings", this prequel uses impressive visuals, clean action and it achieves an interesting, fluid task. 73/100
½ April 29, 2017
This marks the beginning of an amazing prequel to the magnificent Lord of The Rings Franchise.
Hehe...easy for me to say, since I've never actually seen any of the Lotr movies, nor any of the hobbits movies (Other than this one).
Either way, I'm pretty excited to watch the next sequel, because I honestly don't know what's gonna happen next. :)
April 22, 2017
A very good start for another great trilogy! I think this movie is my favorite out of the three.
April 19, 2017
Favorite movie of 2012!
½ April 6, 2017
'I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread'
Bilbo's words describe the feeling of a small book converted into 3 long movies
March 27, 2017
great movie ive ever seen realy funny too.