The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Reviews

April 22, 2017
A very good start for another great trilogy! I think this movie is my favorite out of the three.
April 19, 2017
Favorite movie of 2012!
½ April 6, 2017
'I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread'
Bilbo's words describe the feeling of a small book converted into 3 long movies
March 27, 2017
great movie ive ever seen realy funny too.
½ March 26, 2017
This film recaptures the ancient Middle Earth magic we saw in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy with great special effects, old characters and well-done action sequences, giving us an entertaining film that contains all the essence of Tolkien and Jackson's Middle- earth
½ March 20, 2017
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the story of Bilbo Baggins (played by Martin Freeman) and his quest, which was introduced to him by Gandalf (played by Ian McKellen) to help a group of dwarves, lead by Thorin Oakenshield (played by Richard Armitage), reclaim their treasure and defeat the dragon Smaug. This and the two movies following it, are based off of the book by J. R. R. Tolkien. I found that while all of the movies together are good, the first was definitely the best, and it is still enjoyable to view on its own and separately from the other two. It is a very engaging and compelling story. While watching, I was kept on my toes, even in the slower moments, and because of this it seemed to end too quickly and I felt as though my time was not wasted watching this film. The acting was amazing (especially by Martin Freeman, who played Bilbo phenomenally). I felt totally immersed in the situations the characters faced and felt their emotions clearly. I would definitely suggest and recommend watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
½ March 16, 2017
Watching all three Hobbit movies in a row, I think reviewing the first one is my best bet. First off, the graphics and screenplay were pretty good.The introduction to this movie was quite long. About the characters, there were a plethora of characters I really liked. Bilbo, Thorin, and even Gandalf. I just don't think there was enough character development. I only knew a few key/main characters out of their whole crew of dwarfs. Finally, there are a lot of cliches in this movie. First, Bilbo's an outcast, then boom, he saves everyone, multiple times, etc. The Hobbit was not all bad, it definitely had some good plot points and had some real potential. Honestly, as I watched all three movies, I got quite bored during the second one, and the third one, well, let's just say there's a reason I'm not reviewing that one. But, if you're really into the fantasy and adventure genres, then you'll probable like these movies much more than I did.
March 15, 2017
"Far over the misty mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old, we must away ere break of day, to seek the pale enchanted gold," (Tolkien, 15). And that's precisely what The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey is all about. Voyaging to the misty mountains to reclaim a stolen treasure. Bilbo Baggins, a respectable hobbit is having a grand time staying in his home and enjoying his life. However, when the wizard Gandalf appears on his door step and invites him on an adventure, even though Bilbo politely declines, the viewer can foreshadow some exciting events appearing in the future of the story. Soon after when Bilbo is making supper for himself, thirteen dwarves lead by the legendary Thorin Oakenshield arrive at his house, eat his food, and inform him further on the adventure that they are taking part in and how he is going with them as well. Before Bilbo can fully realize what's going on, he's sitting on a pony riding towards his destiny.
As a fan of both The Hobbit books and films, I can safely say that unlike other books into films this adaptation did a fine job of giving the flavor of the original Tolkien stories as well as giving viewers background of other Tolkien lore. An example of this is the beginning of the film when it showed how the dwarfs lost their kingdom and why they are going on this quest. This was not in the book.
One thing I really enjoyed was all the songs sung by the dwarfs. I think that they really added to the mood of the scenes. Unfortunately, all the songs in the book were not in the movie. Throughout the book songs were sung by the elves and goblins that were not included in the movies. I also thought that the costumes perfectly represented each character and were well thought out. Bilbo's for example, exquisitely captured his personality. As he started out he was clad in fancier clothing and as his point of view changed throughout the story and he became more passionate about the adventure, his clothes grew dirty.
Although this film doesn't stick religiously to the original book, it does an excellent job of bringing Tolkien's book to life. Nothing can replace the original story as imagined by a reader. Nevertheless the special effects and scenery were incredible and come pretty close to how I pictured it would look. I would watch again.
½ March 15, 2017
The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey to me is the most accurate out of the three movies to the book it is based on, The Hobbit. It is a fantasy/adventure story including fictional creatures and intriguing magic. Three main characters of the story are Bilbo Baggins, played by Martin Freeman, Gandalf, played by Ian McKellen, and Thorin Oakenshield, played by Richard Armitage. I think that each actor in the movie portrayed their character very well, and there was nothing wrong with their acting in my opinion. The portrayal of the characters was true to the visual I had of each of the characters while reading the book.
An Unexpected Journey is mostly about the root of the adventure in the book. Gandalf approaches Bilbo Baggins in hope that he will convince him to join him on an adventure, and invites an "unexpected party" to his house in order to talk business and meet Bilbo. The scenes in which this happened were very accurate, and Bilbo's reactions were spot on. You could tell that Bilbo had no interest in adventure, and how his opinions developed and changed.
The costumes and music featured in the movie were very unique. I think that Gandalf was the best portrayed when it comes to wardrobe, because his hat, robe, and walking stick were all included. His image was exactly as I pictured it, including his facial features and beard. The only character that confused me was Bilbo. The book makes you imagine him as large at the beginning because of the amount he eats and how dedicated he is to his meals. I imagined him as larger or shorter than Martin Freeman was in the movie. The music was very good. The creatures sang songs and moved as they were written, such as the scene where the dwarves organized the dishes. Also, the landscape and buildings were beautiful, and they were so accurate to how magical the world made written to be.
I think An Unexpected Journey was most true to the book, The Hobbit, and showed the beginning of the journey very well. Each actor portrayed their character well, and the wardrobe/directions were accurate. The movie was very close to the visual I had before viewing it, and I would watch it again.
March 15, 2017
Although the movie stayed true to the book in some areas, the parts where it didn't were a little confusing. Being all about how Bilbo begins his journey I can say having the first scene with Frodo, leading to a flash back was a interesting touch that I liked a lot. I would recommend reading the book over watching the movie only because there are three movies that are each two hours long. For some one like me who already has trouble watching one movie, that's something difficult the do. Being that all three movies are about only one book, I suggest watching this one and deciding weather you want to continue with the other two. Despite a few bumps in the road, I do recommend this movie because even though the action is at a minimum it still appeals to sci-fi lovers and action lovers too.
½ March 10, 2017
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition Review:

The first part of the trilogy is quite slow. A lot of time to develop the characters. Overall a good start.
March 4, 2017
Peter Jackson's return to the Lord of the Rings-franchise impresses with fantastic visual effects, but it could not reach the quality of the Lotr-films.
½ February 26, 2017
An Unexpected Journey reatais the visual majesty of the LOTR, but falters where the original trilogy created a near-perfect narrative. The acting, action and special effects are great, as is expected, but more work could have been but into the character development and the story.
½ February 26, 2017
Oh, i can't wait for this one! :)
February 24, 2017
The key line of the book, when Bilbo uses the ring to get pass the drawves, and establishes himself as a legitimate thief IS Re-Written !!! Tolkien doesn't need a re-write
February 18, 2017
No words - please speak directly with Billy
February 17, 2017
Fuck this BULLSHIT!!!! PAID FOR A GODDAMN DIGITAL COPY!!! GOT NOTHING!!! FUCK YOU!
February 17, 2017
I hope it will live up to the book
February 17, 2017
Great film. Able to watch over and over again!!!!!
February 17, 2017
The ultimate way to watch this movie!!