The House of the Spirits Reviews

• Feb 13, 2020

lies. lies. and more lies. The movie should have satyed only in trueba family, not mentioned about politics

• Dec 21, 2019

I loved this movie. I know critics didn't but the story is so good and the caliber of actors is phenomenal. Yes it's long but it had to be to tell the story properly. I recommend it to anyone who loves a good story that is beautifully told and performed.

• Sep 12, 2019

I've not read the book, nor am I an expert in the genre, but I found this movie to be equally good as it was bad. I can't pun my finger on it, but there were good opportunities missed and moments when I was just "Meh!" Would I watch it again? No. Did it make me cry at the end? Oh, so very much.

• Mar 09, 2019

3 stars for Close, Streep. Almost watchable.

3 stars for Close, Streep. Almost watchable.

• Jan 26, 2018

One of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. Masterpiece!

One of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. Masterpiece!

• Dec 19, 2017

This is how you ruin a perfect book.

This is how you ruin a perfect book.

• Sep 01, 2016

I really liked this movie. I have not read the book so I don't have that too compare too. I was interested the whole way threw. Great cast and the scenery was beautiful. I'm guessing the rating is low bec it doesn't follow the book enough?

• Jan 27, 2016

I believe I had watched it on Pearl back then. Disappointing even by holding such cast on hand (& quite surprisingly, the acting was not generally good either), in addition to the outdated, very corny (original) storyline, with a too shallow narrative.

• Apr 26, 2015

The House of Spirits is a decent film. It is about a South American patriarch who destroys his family as he engages in a military coup. Jeremy Irons and Meryl Streep give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Bille August did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.

• Mar 16, 2015

House of Spirits plays like a Cliff Notes version of the novel by highlighting important events but never getting into the character depth it needs. The most baffling element is making Clara clairvoyant (ha, name similarity) because it's completely random and doesn't add anything to the plot besides giving the writers an opportunity to practice executing spiritual nonsense. Even with serious star power it goes to show that no matter how good of an actor someone is there are just some books that shouldn't be made into a movie.