The Hunt (Jagten) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunt (Jagten) Reviews

May 18, 2017
Incredibly well made film concerning very touchy subject material, but is still handled professionally. Madds Mikkelsen gives one of if not the best performance I've seen out of him, and that's saying something. The story is one filled with a lot of sadness and frustration, but the payoff is immense and satisfying. Great film
May 17, 2017
Great comedy. Was recommend watching if you can get past the subtitles
½ March 19, 2017
Un lavoro incredibile che riesce a trasmettere emozioni molto forti lungo tutta la sua durata. Non riesco a trovare nessun difetto: il film è pensato, scritto ed interpretato in modo magistrale e lo considero perfetto sotto ogni punto di vista. Tra il cast ovviamente Mads Mikkelsen è quello che brilla più degli altri, con l'interpretazione migliore della sua carriera. Mi ricorderò a lungo di "The Hunt", un piccolo ma potente capolavoro.
March 17, 2017
Simply one of the most disturbing movies of all time. Not by what it shows, but by what it hides. As it progresses, perceptions about everything are torn apart to unravel primal instincts of very well set up, otherwise civilized facades.
½ March 13, 2017
A gripping drama, perfectly cast and acted that captures a very realistic tone early on and never wavers. We're it not for the typical European ambiguous ending it would have gotten the extra half a star but as it is, the 4 and a half I have given it are very well deserved.
March 9, 2017
Engrossing drama with a plethora of sympathy for the main character. This is a character study in societies prejudices, founded or unfounded.
March 8, 2017
Turned it off halfway through. The locals seemed like a lynch mob.
February 19, 2017
Mads Mikkelson is brilliant (as usual) in a tight, well scripted tale of a witch hunt, and the consequences for its innocent victim.
February 16, 2017
Superbly acted, but not one I'll ever watch again.
February 11, 2017
Wow! Comes close to "Festen".
February 8, 2017
It's a pity that the deserving case always not win the prime crown. This movie is so brilliant that perhaps the Jury of the academic awards was flabbergasted?
January 27, 2017
I'm not sure why I subjected myself to this film again so soon after watching it for the first time. That's not to say it's a bad film ... it's really quite brilliant. Mads Mikkelsen turns in an incredibly subtle and nuanced performance as a man who's life is destroyed by an incorrect accusation of pedophilia. The film is so successful that it alternately infuriates and depresses me. It's quite devastating. It's more than an "issue" film. It doesn't really set out to convince anyone that what happens is wrong so much as lead you to meditate how thin the line between happiness and devastation can be.
½ January 16, 2017
A psychological thriller that can prove to be scarier than your average horror movie.
½ December 25, 2016
Low-key film, realistic yet awful story, takes place in Denmark and in Danish
December 21, 2016
The interview with the young girl seemed utterly contrived. What the hell kinda social service worker interviews a child like that? I felt like that was a weird device that breaks every rule on how to interview a child about something like this. That departure from how social workers and therapists actually interview children made the whole movie seemed contrived. It made me think that this was one of those films that is supposed to make you doubt real life victims.
½ November 19, 2016
Its sheer realism adds to its constant sense of dread. Mikkelsen is truly at his best in this film. This stellar film simply wouldn't be stellar without him.
½ November 8, 2016
An honest depiction of the behavior of children and adults.
October 14, 2016
Painful to watch, but impossible to ignore. Mads is incredible.
October 2, 2016
Every now and then I delve into some world cinema. Today it is The Hunt from 2012. A Danish film from director Thomas Vinterburg starring Mads Mikkelson (who most people may remember as the villain Le Chiffre in the 2006 James Bond movie Casino Royale).
I must say this film was one of the best I have seen in a lacklustre 2016 hence watching old releases.
Mikkelson plays a kindergarten teacher Lucas. Lucas enjoys being popular amongst his young scholars so is shattered one day when he is falsely accused of child abuse.
He loses his job, faces police investigation and is treat like a lepper by previous friends and members of the community. All because of someone's over active imagination.
The witchunt includes physical violence, shunning by the local grocers and the killing of his pet dog Fanny.
Vinterburg makes the viewer intensely frustrated by the actions of Lucas' close friends. The film is very emotive.
The Danish language/English subtitles are quickly forgotten by the intensity of the screenplay.
Interwoven with the witchunt is Lucas membership of a deer hunting group. Hence the hunter becomes the hunted.
The cinematography is very autumnal/woody given the Danish filming location.
½ September 29, 2016
"The Hunt" is disturbing and effective, as it should be. Watch it.