The Hunt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunt Reviews

½ September 28, 2016
The direction, story, acting everything is truly brilliant. This movie puts up some very good questions about society and leaves the viewer in the end wondering where to find the answers. This is pure treasure.
September 24, 2016
A film's statements on modern life, psychology, religion, etc. can only be as good as the story and the characters that deliver the message. The Hunt delivers on all fronts. The lead performance from Mads Mikkelsen is the best I've seen of him yet. His performance is what sucks you into the story and his life from the start. This is an excellent film and I recommend it to anyone.
½ September 19, 2016
Very well-crafted and tense but some will find it hard to get through.
½ September 1, 2016
I thought this is really good.
Maybe you will think so too?
½ September 1, 2016
Emotionally draining, intense Danish drama that stays with you long after you are done watching this. Highly recommend if serious human cinema is your thing.
½ August 22, 2016
The Hunt is the first none English spoken film I've ever watched and I thoroughly enjoyed it throughout the whole of the film. After about 25 minutes into the film I'd actually forgotten I was watching a Danish film with subtitles as the words on the screen just read themselves to me. Very good film with Mads Mikkelsen's great acting.
August 15, 2016
Being a male primary school teacher must be a difficult job these days. You would have to have an extremely thick skin to be able to handle the whispers and gossip that invariably goes around a community. "Can we trust him with our children?" "Why isn't he teaching older children?" And if the teacher is unmarried or divorced, the chatter can only grow larger and more malevolent, especially when the teacher is accused of sexual misconduct. That's what the Danish film, THE HUNT (or JAGTEN, in Danish) is about.

High school teacher Lucas is forced to take a job at a local kindergarten when the school where his teenage son attends closes due to budget cutbacks. He is slowly getting his life back together after his bitter divorce. He has begun a relationship with a colleague at the kindergarten, and he is committed to getting joint custody of his son. He has a good group of friends in his small Danish community, and now he gets to teach some of his friends' young children. But Lucas' life takes a drastic turn when one of his little charges falsely accuses him of sexual misconduct.

This is an incredibly harrowing film. On the surface, this seems like an idyllic community. The men go hunting together, families are close knit and traditions are kept up. But what is shocking is how quickly all that can change. When the alleged victim - a 5-year old girl - can't get her story straight, the school principal calls in an expert (either a child psychologist or the school superintendent, we're not sure). He then helps the little girl craft her story, which is absolutely unconscionable. (Don't these people watch LAW & ORDER: SVU? Perhaps they don't.) Fortunately, the police are able to pick apart her and her classmates' stories - the allegations grow in number as all the kids and their parents start talking - and the charges against Lucas are dropped. But the damage has already been done and Lucas has become a pariah. Like the deer that he and his friends hunt each fall, Lucas finds himself in the townspeople's crosshairs and they don't hesitate for a half a second to take aim.

As I was watching the film, I assumed that, at some point, truth and justice would win out. (Truth does but justice less so.) But how does one turn back the clock after going through an experience like this? How do you forgive and how do you forget? The wounds are far too deep and the scars will be there for the rest of your life. These questions are answered at the film's thought-provoking ending.

THE HUNT is directed by Thomas Vinterberg, who also directed THE CELEBRATION in 1998. This earlier film also deals with the accusation of sexual abuse but, in this case, the community does not believe the accuser. Both films, however, come to the same conclusion that the cooler heads rarely prevail.

The film stars Mads Mikkelsen, who starred in the James Bond film, CASINO ROYALE. He can currently be seen on the TV series HANNIBAL as Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Mikkelsen's face is like a blank canvas, which director Vinterberg uses to full advantage. There is a scene in the film where he confronts his former best friend to tell him to look into his eyes. "There is nothing there," he says. His anguish seems so real that it will break your heart. Mikkelsen was awarded with the Best Actor prize at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival for this work and THE HUNT was nominated for an Oscar (R) for Best Foreign Language Film earlier this year. (It lost to THE GREAT BEAUTY from Italy.)

This is one of the best films I've seen this year - and I don't dish out such high praise lightly. Go get yourself a copy and watch it.
August 10, 2016
An amazing portrayal of how sometimes what a community believes can be more consequential than what the truth is...
½ August 6, 2016
Wow this was intense. Disturbing subject matter and pretty sad.
½ August 2, 2016
The definition of "edge-of-your-seat."

This is BY FAR my favorite thing Vinterberg has ever done, and that's saying something. This film is so... Intense. It's also very, VERY real. The entire thing will put you in shock and awe as it slowly burns it's way to a fitting end, and questionable moral high-ground. It's just amazing. For those who loved To Kill a Mockingbird, it's darker, but I'm sure you'd love it.
July 30, 2016
This falls into that rare category of movies you can't rate anything less than perfect yet you would recommend to very few. Difficult to watch but impossible not to see it through.....
½ July 30, 2016
Siempre es bueno salir de la tiránica dictadura de Hollywood. Tan estandarizado todo, por dios. Mads Mikkelsen me parece un gran actor, y eso me hizo llegar a esta película danesa.

Mikkelsen se ha hecho conocido en Hollywood por interpretar malos, como el de Casino Royale. Y sobretodo, a Hannibal Lecter en la brillante serie "Hannibal". Y lo hizo muy re bien, tanto como para hacer prácticamente olvidar a Anthony Hopkins durante el transcurso de la serie. Eso realza su actuación en esta película, donde pasa por una variada gama de sentimientos.

Jagten (The Hunt) se trata de un profesor de jardín infantil acusado de abusos deshonestos. Así de denso, la película no es pa pasarlo bien. Pero si para pensar y disfrutar de buenas actuaciones. Entre sus planteamientos está el intentar abordar de forma rigurosa los temas tabú. Tb el explorar los alcances de la mentira expandida. Sobretodo en un pueblo-chico/infierno-grande. Ahí se puede ver la miseria desatada del ser humano. La peli tb se mete con esa máxima de "Los niños siempre dicen la verdad". Cierto, pero... ¿Como llegaron a esa verdad?

Densa. Angustiante. Incómoda. Por momentos muestra el lado más miserable del ser humano. Da para pensar caleta al verla y después de verla. Merecida Palma de Oro 2012 para Mikkelsen como mejor actor.

Muy buena. 4.5 de 5
½ July 19, 2016
Mads Mikkelsen protagoniza una historia que vuelve a exponer las obsesiones del director Thomas Vinterberg sobre la familia, las mentiras y el abuso, exploradas en "Festen". En "The Hunt", Mikkelsen interpreta a un profesor que es víctima de las mentiras y la confusión de una pequeña niña. Esta es una cinta incómoda, magníficamente actuada y que refleja la histeria e hipocresía de nuestra sociedad. "The Hunt" es una pieza moral imperdible.
July 12, 2016
Thanks to a benignant performance from Mads Mikkelsen, The Hunt proves to be a straight forward yet profoundly thoughtful drama, depicting the what-if events in the situation of a harmless lie ultimately becoming the deadly truth, with it's storyline unraveling quite naturally by it's assembled cast and Vinterberg's dedicated direction.
July 3, 2016
Thomas Vinterberg solidly crafts a taut, piercing and painful drama that adresses its delicate themes with bravery and honesty, while Mads Mikkelsen delivers an appealing down-to-earth performance.
June 2, 2016
Incredible movie. I'm mad at myself for waiting this long to see it. But I partially blame Thomas Vinterberg for having such shitty output typically. Anyway this movie is fantastic. One of the best I've seen in a long time.
May 27, 2016
Sebelum anda menganggap komnas HAM itu udik...
½ April 24, 2016
Anyone can put an idea in your head. If someone says to you not to think about eating cookies, you are probably going to think about it whether you want to or not. Even as your eyes scan across the words in this sentence, the ideas are planted in the mind. A child is just as capable of doing this as an adult. Some ideas hold, some do not, and some can burrow into your head and change the way you perceive the people around you.

Director Thomas Vinterberg takes a simple idea, and turns it into a masterpiece of storytelling. I had never seen any of his previous films, but was completely spellbound by the events that unfolded in what is essentially a single event, over a short period of time, that leads to utter disaster for one man. Mads Mikkelsen portrays Lucas, a kindergarten teacher in a small Danish town. He appears to like his life, his job, and goes to work with a smile on his face. He's well known in the community, has many friends, is working on custody of his son, and even has a love interest years after his divorce from his wife.

The real magic of this film is how this one event unfolds before you, from the most innocent of sources it changes his life dramatically and possibly forever. A man leading a life that could be any one of us, and it really drives home the fact that sometimes to be accused of something is enough to be guilty in the eyes of your friends. It shows how easy it is to lose everything you hold dear, because of an idea.

A memorizing story, very true to life in it's many facets. It would be an absolute shame if you miss this film.

4.5/5
½ April 15, 2016
Well scripted, well performed, well staged.

A round movie with a fantastic Mads Mikkelsen. Honestly, I think this movie would have been even better with some more minutes on it to develop the plot even further.

Fantastic directing.
April 11, 2016
Good god, this film ends with a bang. Absolutely horrifying.