The Hunt (Jagten) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hunt (Jagten) Reviews

½ September 18, 2017
A really powerful film which I was completely spellbound by at times. It's such a believable premise and is carried by such perfect performances by the entire cast that you cannot help but be drawn in. This isn't a film of huge bombast, this is a film of stand offs at the supermarket, betrayals by friends and how dark people can become, in particular when they feel they're on the side of right. Easily will be one of my films of the year, a must see.
½ August 27, 2017
Don't waste your time on this ridiculous plot. How this belongs on any 'best' list or award nomination is beyond me. The plot is miserably predictable and one-sided without any nuance or complexity. If David Fincher were watching this, he probably couldn't finish this cliche 'man hunt' crap of a plot. If it were American it would have been a box office failure. It's only merit belong to its lead actor and the novelty of being in a foreign film category. The fact this was even nominated in any such category is an insult to brilliant foreign film directors like Michael Haneke. For a better film along similar lines, watch "The White Ribbon."
August 21, 2017
Mads Mikkelsen amazing performance makes this thick heavy plot even more intense. A refreshing insight into Danish culture, showing the good and dark sides of living in a small tight community. Terrifying and fascinating drama. A must see.
August 11, 2017
The Hunt would leave you stupefied, riveted on your chair. The sublime direction has managed to infuse a psychological element into this drama. The Hunt insinuates that the real monsters live among us and not below us. Mads Mikkelsen delineates "Lucas" a benevolent nursery teacher, a divorcee grappling over his son's custody. His ostensively ameliorating life as he finds love goes downhill by piecemeal ascribed to a diminutive fib. The screenplay is wicked. The last scene though was kind of little bit clumsily crafted in order just end the movie. But that won't bother because the movie is just veridical.
July 21, 2017
The word "riveting" gets used a bit too generously to overhype dramas, but I think it really does apply here. I wasn't especially in the mood to take in a Danish movie about a guy's life getting wrecked by a bogus pedophilia accusation, but once this got rolling, they had me. I've been a fan of Mads Mikkelsen since his stint as the extra vulnerable, extra creepy Bond villain in Casino Royale. His more human side is on full display here, to great effect.
½ July 16, 2017
With an amazing and utterly engrossing lead performance by Mads Mikkelsen this film deals with a heavy subject matter head on and is all the better for it. It also has a solid script, great plot, it looks fantastic and the score is good as well. Just a shame it took me this long to finally watch it.
May 18, 2017
Incredibly well made film concerning very touchy subject material, but is still handled professionally. Madds Mikkelsen gives one of if not the best performance I've seen out of him, and that's saying something. The story is one filled with a lot of sadness and frustration, but the payoff is immense and satisfying. Great film
May 17, 2017
Great comedy. Was recommend watching if you can get past the subtitles
½ March 19, 2017
Un lavoro incredibile che riesce a trasmettere emozioni molto forti lungo tutta la sua durata. Non riesco a trovare nessun difetto: il film è pensato, scritto ed interpretato in modo magistrale e lo considero perfetto sotto ogni punto di vista. Tra il cast ovviamente Mads Mikkelsen è quello che brilla più degli altri, con l'interpretazione migliore della sua carriera. Mi ricorderò a lungo di "The Hunt", un piccolo ma potente capolavoro.
March 17, 2017
Simply one of the most disturbing movies of all time. Not by what it shows, but by what it hides. As it progresses, perceptions about everything are torn apart to unravel primal instincts of very well set up, otherwise civilized facades.
½ March 13, 2017
A gripping drama, perfectly cast and acted that captures a very realistic tone early on and never wavers. We're it not for the typical European ambiguous ending it would have gotten the extra half a star but as it is, the 4 and a half I have given it are very well deserved.
March 9, 2017
Engrossing drama with a plethora of sympathy for the main character. This is a character study in societies prejudices, founded or unfounded.
March 8, 2017
Turned it off halfway through. The locals seemed like a lynch mob.
February 19, 2017
Mads Mikkelson is brilliant (as usual) in a tight, well scripted tale of a witch hunt, and the consequences for its innocent victim.
February 16, 2017
Superbly acted, but not one I'll ever watch again.
February 11, 2017
Wow! Comes close to "Festen".
February 8, 2017
It's a pity that the deserving case always not win the prime crown. This movie is so brilliant that perhaps the Jury of the academic awards was flabbergasted?
January 27, 2017
I'm not sure why I subjected myself to this film again so soon after watching it for the first time. That's not to say it's a bad film ... it's really quite brilliant. Mads Mikkelsen turns in an incredibly subtle and nuanced performance as a man who's life is destroyed by an incorrect accusation of pedophilia. The film is so successful that it alternately infuriates and depresses me. It's quite devastating. It's more than an "issue" film. It doesn't really set out to convince anyone that what happens is wrong so much as lead you to meditate how thin the line between happiness and devastation can be.
½ January 16, 2017
A psychological thriller that can prove to be scarier than your average horror movie.
½ December 25, 2016
Low-key film, realistic yet awful story, takes place in Denmark and in Danish