The Impossible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Impossible Reviews

½ November 10, 2018
The acting is astonishing and shocking, let me breathless
November 4, 2018
What an epic movie tears thrills and edge of happiness really beautiful movie its a 100% certificate fresh tom Holland is best Tom rules
November 4, 2018
"The Impossible" é extremamente emocionante, profundo, realista e nele podemos sentir na pele as emoções das personagens. Possivelmente, o melhor filme de 2012.
½ October 28, 2018
This was a whole new perspective to look at disaster movies. I just wish Ewan McGregor wasn't in the movie with his cute/funny face, someone more dramatic could pull it off better. It was very emotional. Amazing.
½ September 22, 2018
subtle and genuinely effective..

Lo Imposible

The Impossible is a character driven biographical drama about a family that gets lost in a natural disaster occurred at 2004 in Indian Ocean. Bayona's excellence is projecting the highest of emotions where you float in its bubble of bravado up till he pins you down with a reality that conveys a straight out message from nature by narrowing down the priorities and leaves you in an awe of its abyss feeling.

The plethora of emotions that it is flooded with, can be difficult to grasp as its pathos premise has the potential to melt you down within few seconds (the first act between Watts and Holland is mesmerizing) and with a cast of caliber like such justifies the script with their performance. The first half is specifically brilliant, as its metaphor are subtle and genuinely effective where the passion of the project meets the weaving of the craft boosting up the essence with a stronger impact.

Despite of having such a poignant concept, Bayona's finesses never manipulates the viewers just to connect, but tells an honest and uncompromising tale. The background score isn't that effective, along with the cinematography but the editing is definitely its strength along with the camera work that is manually handled in order to offer a more personal touch.

As mentioned earlier, the performance objective is what fuels this sometimes overstretched vision and Watts is the responsible person to contact for it is one of the best portrayal of her career where she is supported brilliantly by Holland and McGregor. The narrative is sharp, adaptive and gripping since it focuses the family drama that is fabricated to speak volume metaphorically.

Lo Imposible is quite possible but it comes with a manual book, and fortunately Bayona has it memorized by heart and now watch him ace this test.
½ September 19, 2018
A great movie showing the effects of natural disasters and the strength of the people who pull through. Excellent dynamic.
September 7, 2018
The biggest disaster you have ever seen.

The film that I will do a review is called "THE IMPOSSIBLE" . This film is directed by Juan Antonio Bayona. The impossible is a disaster and drama film. The film setting is on Thailand in the film,but in the real life is in New York.

In this film the actors and the actresses act very well . The Impossible took 26 weeks so that is like 6 months and a week.the actors they are well known in the movies . They are Naomi Watts that in the film is Maria, Tom Holland that interprets Lucas and Ewan Mcgregor that in the film is Henry . In the movie the acting is amazing and they gave a good performance.

In the movie happens a big disaster that a lot of people died because of this tragedy. The story is excellent and this film is based on real facts so imagine that. Also the film teaches us something that even there was a disaster you have to fight for your life and never give up.

The cinematography in this moment was cool because the quality of the film was wonderful.
talking about soundtrack, it was amazing because is like that was happening in the real life . And about the scenes I have no words to describe it.

If there was an scale from 1 to 10 the grade is 10 because is a really good film.Fans obviously are going to be happy.People should watch this movie because it teaches a lot of things and how I told before is a really good film. So the lesson is never give up. :)
August 31, 2018
A tsunami in Asia at first tears a family apart and then brings them together. Good acting (particularly by Naomi Watts and Tom Holland), subtle direction, decent writing, and the added tension that being in a foreign land might bring during a huge crisis, and yet ... it was hard for me to involve myself in this tale.
½ August 27, 2018
The Impossible vividly re-creates the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004. It's difficult to see the CGI stitches in the stunning disaster. With a special nod for the 10 seconds of wind rush immediately before.

The eldest boy Lucas played by Tom Holland is superb, and Naomi Watts terrific. I much more enjoyed their first half. McGregor and the second half are a lot weaker. The narrowness of focus looks increasingly awkward as the film goes on. The travel insurance advert at the end, extremely bizarre.
August 19, 2018
This movie makes me cry.. people must watch this movie
August 3, 2018
THE IMPOSSIBLE (2012) 3/5 Stars
Based on the true story of a family on Christmas holiday in Thailand in 2004, The Impossible is a short and taut film about human response to unimaginable circumstances, and hard choices in the face of gutwrenching crisis.
Tear jerker. Especially if you have kids, i imagine. Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor give beautiful performances and WHAAATTT..? The kid actors are very solid, including our very own SPIDERMAN, Tom Holland.
A very personal take on a disaster movie that will have you trying to swallow your heart. Good stuff, a little hard to watch.
"...Even if it's the last thing we do...." That scene crushed me.
½ July 29, 2018
They certainly take dramatic liberties but a good story nonetheless.
July 12, 2018
The movie made me nervous. Nervous that the main characters would either die or be seperated permanently. When the film said that it's based on a true story, I immediately thought that the family would reunite...
(I THOUGHT, THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY DID/DIDN'T, SO THAT'S NOT A SPOILER)
.....but the film's screenplay made me think that they might not reunite. I almost cried at times thanks to the incredible performances of Ewan, Naomi and future spidey Tom Holland. And I really loved the part where some of the characters showed similarities in their personalities by doing the exact same thing. I'm glad the film pointed that out.
July 6, 2018
The Impossible is both a harrowing disaster drama and an emotional and effective portrayal of humanity.
July 5, 2018
It was slow,also a bit arty,with music when not needed to drag it along,it was enjoyable as based on a true story.1 thing that really dragged it down in score. Was that there was no facts at the end nothing about the loss of life nor the families future afterwards,a few kines before credits would have made all the difference. So in the end very dissapointing.
½ June 19, 2018
Wonderful actors, touching story and an incredibly overpowering tsunami scene can't save the middle 45 minutes of elongated drama in the search for each other after experiencing a horrendous event. While I know the story is based on a true story, I don't think the Hollywoodization of the event did anything but disrespect its seriousness. To be fair, there were a few times where the story intentionally showed that they were simply one example of a large, impactful set of stories. The overdramatic elements, however, belittles the reality.
June 10, 2018
Hard to come up with words for this one. It's stunning, gripping, moving. One of the best movies I've seen.
April 19, 2018
Incredible Tear Jerker. I still have trouble believing this happened in real life.
½ April 14, 2018
superficial direction but mcgregor and watts give it their best. tom holland's acting is initially wooden but improves throughout. the fantastically filmed, and devastating, tsunami sequence is the highlight. simple, slightly predictable film.