The Impossible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Impossible Reviews

January 14, 2017
Really Amazing! The need to find each other is a powerful thing.
½ January 11, 2017
When a true story is carried onto an action and drama film, it can be really difficult. Bilgi Ebiri says "Although it's ostensibly based on true events, The Impossible is not so much an inspiring tale of survival as it is an action flick." and that is so true. It seemed that the director's intention in this film was suddenly to turn this story into a "tale" with such a perfect and so Hollywood climax and ending that even dulls the pain that was intended to transmit and this happens when the family runs away from the nightmare and the rest ends up simply by being ignored. Yet it is a very entertaining film, which talks about the courage that brings up after an unexpected disaster and whose events are so incredible that they seem to be a miracle. It is a proof that for some of the affected during this event had a really good luck.
December 16, 2016
Absolutely breathtaking movie, deservant of all the praise it earned and more. The true story behind the film is really compelling and powerfully moving, the direction is beautiful and stylish, the visual effects are intense and phenomenal, giving viewers a disturbingly realistic look at the gruesome and terrifying reality a victim goes through as they're thrown under a tsunami wave and the tragic aftermath of the real one from 2004. All of the heartwarming and gut-wrenching storytelling is supported by magnificent performances from its entire cast, especially Watts, McGregor and Holland, who proved he has talents that everyone should look for in the future.
December 13, 2016
In my opinion, the movie "The Impossible" is an amazing movie about a family who does everything to survive and find eachother. It was wonderfully played and well directed. It was also very touching and emotional, especially at the end of the movie. Sometimes thouh, you can tell that the crying is fake. But otherwise, this movie is perfect.
December 13, 2016
The movie was great, there was a good start to it but it was not realistic. The two little boys survived with out a scratch. They were not injured at all. The end of the movie was to dramatic. I do not believe that the mother should be more injured then anyone else. In my opinion the damage cause was to little for a tsunami
December 13, 2016
I really like The Impossible because it is a real story thaht happened to many famillies. Most family are separated like in the movie the Lukas family is separated but they have many people searching for the family like the father gives hs phone to Henri. I like the end because the movie finishes well. The mother is save and the family goes home. I like in the of the movie, we see a picture of the real family.
½ December 13, 2016
''The Impossible'' is a great movie. It is very emotional and realistic. It is one of my favorite movie of all time. The actors are very good. I love the scene when Henry has to make the phonecall because this moment was very powerful and realistic. 80%
December 13, 2016
I really like this movie, but it is really sad. This is a true story. When this drama happened the family showed evidence of bravery and perseverance. The family have made several searches to find their family members. I love the end because, throughout the film, it does research. But one moment give the 2 little boys he saw Lucas, so he had to run to him because he had just found him. What minutes later he also found their father (Henry). Lucas will show them where Maria is (mother). And whatever soon after they come home happy.
½ December 13, 2016
I really like this movie beacause, it's a real story.This movie is very good beacause, it demonstrates the importance of the family ans it demonstrates the love of a mother because, when the mother eaited for a little boys cry she wanted to immediately save him. There is something disappointing in this movie because, they change the nationality of the real family .
½ December 13, 2016
from my point of view I think that they add a little too much of damage caused by the waves because the waves were not very tall and it almost destroyed everything. Still I recommand that movie because it shows how things happen after the waves hit and how hard it can be to be put in this kind of situation. It shows how human can be very kind in different situations. My global appreciation is 7/10
½ December 13, 2016
My opinion on this movie is it a good movie because in the movie the family survive otherwise this movie would be sad. Is a good movie because have action in the movie but is sad what happens to them and I dislike of end in the hospital because what happens to the mother is sad. I like when he finds himself. I like this movie because have action and is a happy end.
½ December 1, 2016
It takes my breath away that reviews don't recognize this as one of the most racist, colonialist pieces of whitewashing in movie ihistory - the family was Hispanic and they made them blond, blue- eyed English people for the sake of marketing? I should have known by the way the Thai only played the stereotypical roles of sympathetic onlookers to the white victims, nurses, or shaman like savior creatures. You have got to be kidling me with your 80% ritic rating. I'm merely satisfied that this racist lesson in how catastrophe makes blond blue eyed people even stronger as they grow more mature was NOT directed by Hollywood.
November 11, 2016
Made in Spain, the exciting and the wonderful movie was born. The Impossible was released on December 21, 2012; and was directed by Juan Antonio Bayona. The actors were Naomi Watts (Maria), Ewan-Mcgregor (Henry), and Tom-Holland (Lucas). The movie The Impossible shows two main characters throughout the movie: Naomi Watts (Maria) and Tom Holland (Lucas).
The tsunami that devastated the Pacific coast in the winter of 2004 iss still the worst disaster/tsunami that ever occurred in history. The movie is based on a true story of a Spanish family who went on a Christmas holiday in Thailand in 2004, and were caught up in the tsunami that hit southeast Asia, killing 230,000 people. The movie is ingenious with all the tsunami scenes and it turns out to be not just an ordinary disaster movie, but shows the sad truth about all kinds of disasters and their impacts.
The movie starts out with an airplane going above the ocean where it's all calm and steady which foreshadows the devastation the people were about to face. The movie indeed is emotional and it is quite difficult to keep your eyes off the film at any time. The Impossible brings home the terror and truth about all disasters. It shows the terror that each of the family members face in the apocalyptic land where everyone is trying to survive. There are fates which are worse than death. They wonder if their loved ones are dead, or about to be dead; they wonder if they are going to die or if dying is the best thing that has left for them.
Antonio Bayona added an emotional punch to the movie. The direction and creativity is imaginative and awesome. As The Impossible goes on, there is a suspenseful scene where the family members keep going in a circle without seeing each other. The movie is really simple with the idea of survival, but the execution goes beyond the simple. I would recommend this movie. It's entertaining and shows the real cost of disasters.
November 1, 2016
An Australian family visits Thailand for a Christmas vacation when disaster hits. The family is taken back with surprise, as they fight for survival and the struggle of reuniting.
The film begins with the family, Maria, Henry, Lucas, Thomas, and Simon, arriving at the beautiful Thailand resort. They seem to be having a glorious time, when disaster strikes. The family gets separated; they all experience different affairs in an effort to find each other. This traumatic event affects the family in ways they could never imagine.
The Impossible has an amazing array of graphics, and the film almost seems real. Furthermore, you become tense, not knowing what is going to happen next. Juan Antonio Bayona, the director, did an amazing job directing the actors and actresses; their reactions and emotions feel so realistic. The overall environment causes misinterpretation between the Australian family and the locals of Thailand. This can cause the viewer to almost feel "stuck" not knowing how the family will overcome this.
I would recommend this film for viewers who like drama or disaster type movies. My impression on this film were that The Impossible was a very realistic film. Sergio G. Sanchez stays true to the original story of the Boxing Day Tsunami, while also adding small touches to the story to interest the viewer. This film is worth seeing, especially if you like movies based off true events. The film, The Impossible, written by Sergio G. Sanchez, hits on the subject of The Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004. Based off true events, this film unravels the story of a family hit by the natural disaster, and their struggle for survival. Directed by Juan Antonio Bayona, this film stars Naomi Watts as Maria, the main character, along with Ewan McGregor as Henry, Maria's husband.
October 28, 2016
A heart wrenching movie. Cried my eyes out watching.
October 15, 2016
Leaving the audience attached to each and every character throughout its quite hefty runtime, the first half presents the horrors of a tsunami to perfection, without being subjected to the Hollywood treatment. The second half somewhat loses its momentum, as it relies heavily on dialogue rather than action - which leaves some scenes dragging on slightly - but nonetheless still very well done.
Verdict: B+
½ September 25, 2016
Compelling is a good word for it. You really feel for the family all the way through this movie, and the upsetting thing is that it is just one family amongst thousands that were ripped apart by this disaster.
½ September 20, 2016
I found it hard not to compare The Impossible to Titanic. Both are movies about real-life disasters. The Impossible is about the tsunami that struck Thailand and other countries around the Indian Ocean on 26 December 2004. Like Titanic, this movies gives us protagonists to relate to and through whose eyes we witness the disaster. We watch Maria,
Henry, and their three boys (based on a Spanish family, but played by UK citizens) enjoying a Christmas vacation. Whereas in Titanic, the disaster doesn't strike until halfway through the movie, in this film, the wall of water sweeps through the family's resort within the first 15 minutes. The family members are separated during the aftermath and must struggle both to survive and to find each other. The film is anchored by an exceptionally strong performance by Tom Holland, who plays the oldest son, Lucas. There is a marvellous scene where Lucas, who is uninjured, helps out in a local hospital by searching for other people's missing relatives by calling out their names from a list. There is a mix of languages, but everyone immediately understands what he's doing.

We had little time before the tsunami to get to know any of the characters, so it is difficult to assess their actions and judge whether the experience has changed them in any way. Somehow, this film fails to convey the terror and devastation that I felt Titanic did, and it fails to elicit the same degree of empathy with the victims whose lives were so horribly smashed and tumbled. It may be that scope of this disaster is just too large for a movie to adequately portray. It's an impressive film, but doesn't manage to find the emotional core of the story in the same way that Titanic did.
August 13, 2016
Gripping, unsettling, and pretty good
½ August 8, 2016
For all of its sentimentality and odd storytelling choices, The Impossible is an engaging disaster drama with a lot of powerful moments and performances. From the opening scene, director J.A. Bayona (directing just the second film in his career) does a great job of setting up characters as we build up to the inevitable scene in which everything goes wrong. That scene is quite spectacular: the huge tsunami was brought to life using a mix of practical effects and miniatures and digital effects, which creates an utterly seamless scene that's almost hard to distinguish from real life. Bayona pulls no punches in this scene either: it's delivered with all the viscerality and brutality you'd expect, and the lack of a musical score makes it all the more haunting. The scenes that follow are also haunting, but with more emotion, thanks to the powerful performances from the cast. The two standouts are Naomi Watts and young Tom Holland, who work really well together in the many scenes they share together. Ewan McGregor and the other two child actors are good as well, but their arc isn't quite as powerful in the long run. The fact that this family is changed from a Spanish family to a white English one is jarring, but is never truly detrimental to the story, aside from possibly promoting some unintended themes involving race and wealth.

Overall, it's a powerful film sure to elicit some strong emotions. Perhaps some of the moments will be too sentimental and some of the themes will be too heavy-handed for some, but the acting, especially that of Watts and Holland, easily overcomes those moments. The tsunami sequence alone makes this one worth watching.