The Impossible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Impossible Reviews

½ June 30, 2016
Compelling, very well made and quite beautiful.
½ June 25, 2016
Emocionante e lindo,O Impossível Mostra a relação de uma família unida,E a verdade nua e crua de quem sofreu com esse desastre natural que parou o mundo em 2004.
July 31, 2013
Emotionally powerful and flawlessly acted, The Impossible is a movie that makes the situation relevant to you.
January 4, 2014
This movie shows the devastation people experienced during the tsunami. Although based on a true story, I don't know how realistic it is for some of the scenes where the kids and their father just missed each other, etc...perhaps that is the dramatic addition for the movie. I wish the movie has shown more about city or other people in Thailand and their stories after the disaster. But still an amazing movie and story to tell.
November 22, 2015
Despite a less than adequate finale, "The Impossible" is an emotional and unforgiving take on a real life tragedy, and the movie rides its actors until the very end.

Based on a true story, a family takes a holiday vacation down to Thailand, unaware of the tragedy about to strike. Without warning, a massive flood engulfs the entire result, along with the city surrounding it. The family is separated as they try and survive and reunite with the ones they love.

If anything, you should watch this movie for the performances alone. This is some of the best acting I've seen from these people right here, and they honestly carry the film. The main standout to me is Tom Holland. He's actually one of the biggest parts of the film and I hadn't even heard of this kid until "Civil War". However, his performance will not only leave you with a flurry of emotions, but shows just how bright his future is. As a kid actor and a young character, he never feels like dead weight at any point and he's the one who does most of the work. Naomi Watts also had some great moments as well, especially when she was in peril. Ewan McGregor also left me in tears on more than a couple occasions and his performance was just as mind blowing. This isn't the strongest script in the world, but the talent here really pushes this movie forward and they manage to create a compelling and emotional atmosphere.

The visuals and the mayhem are actually very impressive. In a very basic strip down, you could consider this a disaster film. When disaster strikes, not only does it look very real and devastating, but it looks ugly. I mean that in the best way possible as they destroyed tangible sets rather than artificially generate everything. It took them a year just to shoot those 10 minutes of disaster footage and it really came to life here.

Although intense and emotional at times, that was more or less due to the amazing performances with the occasional gritty visuals. I found the first 70% of the movie to be written very well, but as for the finale, the movie sort of fell to this cliched and empty finale. It didn't really feel like this movie built up to something awe inspiring and I was not surprised as to how it all came together. I felt like for the most part, this movie was written solidly, but there were some glaring issues when it came to the writing.

Overall, there are more than a few very emotional moments in this film. It's got some excellent performances and a great representation of the tragedies that struck this area. It's a great representation of how kind and compassionate humans beings can be while simultaneously showing the severity of uncontrollable disasters.
January 19, 2013
Yes it's a great film. Please don't make me watch it again.
February 7, 2016
Masterful direction and wonderful acting puts the audience in the center stage. This is a director I will definitely be hunting for more movies.
½ April 21, 2016
It starts off as a movie with a disaster waiting to happen just as advertised showing off happy moments, family bonds and future expectations just enough to ensure when the disaster hits, it hits hard. It did hit hard. If you forgive the occasional pacing issues and consistent coincidences (being a true story it is nothing short of miraculous), the actors will leave you with a feeling of unease with their brilliant natural and touching performances. The tsunami scene was quick, short, devastating and mostly well executed. Naomi Watts deserves a special applause along with the kid who played Lucas.

Maria (Naomi Watts) and Henry (Ewan McGregor) are moderately happy couple who comes down to Thailand for a vacation with their 3 sons Lucas, Thomas and Simon. Just when the holiday mood kicks in the disaster strikes without a warning. With utmost perseverance and love for life Maria and Lucas endure themselves to safety badly beaten, scarred but not broken. On the other side, Henry is in search of his family. How their unbroken spirit and persistence help them to find each other constitutes the rest of the story.

The scene where Maria is stuck in a frenetic underwater current makes you look away but could have been done a lot better. It was also difficult to watch with my ardent fear of water. If not for a true story credit, the near misses and the way the family finally reunite looks a bit undercooked. Naomi Watts shoulders the first half of the movie but Tom Holland (Lucas) steals the show for a short while by portraying a kind, confident yet vulnerable character. Runtime could be edited by a good 20 minutes and the melodrama and over emphasis of the power of human spirit (though apt in this instance) was a bit too much. Background score does not leave a mark and nor does the Thai locals performance.

Touching and powerful occasionally but a little flat overall.
½ April 9, 2016
It is very hard to review this film separate to the terrible true story that it is meant to depict. Having done some reading around the topic of the Tsunami after the film it became evident that the story told was not 100% accurate with some story points being 'Hollywoodised'. This being said the film is very moving and the special effects are really good. Naomi Watts puts in a great performance as does Tom Holland. I think where this film struggled was in keeping interest in the later parts of the film once the family were in the hospital. It seemed that Tom Holland's character would keep getting lost or would be looking for people the whole time. I'm also not sure how true it was but i also didn't believe the father would leave the other 2 kids on their own whilst he looked for his wife and other son but again this could be a true part of the story.
April 7, 2016
yes this movie is awesome rakabroad study consultancy
½ April 6, 2016
Emotional but didn't think Ewan McGregor was believable.
½ November 13, 2012
Average film and Ewan has got worse as an actor the older he gets
March 11, 2016
The only qualms I have is Hollywood's tendency to focus on Caucasians as the only important characters in the midst of foreign countries. Regardless it is still a powerful film.
½ February 14, 2016
Great film. As with every Naomi Watts film, I needed a box of tissues.
½ February 13, 2016
La pelicula logra transmitir todos los sentimientos,como se ayuda la gente entre si, la desesperacion de las familias para encontrarse y la felicidad cuando se encuentran.Las actuaciones son brillantes, todos los actores logran transmitir el dolor y la deseperacion.
February 4, 2016
One of my all-time favorite movies. A MUST see!
January 23, 2016
Extremely moving, as such a powerful topic should be, with outstanding performances from McGregor, Watts and young Tom Holland.
November 28, 2012
While this film did deliver powerful performances, that doesn't take away from the fact that it chose to white wash the family that the characters were based on. Also, like with most disaster films that take place in third world countries, the story focused on the tourists who were able to leave and continue on with their lives as opposed to the locals who would have to deal with the aftermath of this catastrophe for years to come.
½ May 11, 2014
Amazing movie and story!!!!