The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete Reviews

½ November 23, 2016
Between the parent's absence and the child protective service, the struggle lies!

This is a wonderful film, but not the first time I'm seeing. I mean there's a similar film called 'Children of Invention' about two Chinese-American kids. So this film tells the similar story about two kids whose parents were drug addicts. After they were taken by the cops, the two boys try to live by themselves, struggling to feed and hiding all day and night long from the authorities. But how long this thing can go and with a little message, the story comes to an end.

I won't say it was better than the other title I mentioned, but surely well developed than that. Still, I did not like the conclusion. There are some flawed parts like the shopkeeper trying to avenge in front of the cops. Yet the overall film was kind of realistic. That approach is what I liked from this. The two lead kids were brilliant. The entire film revolves around them, basically the camera never takes off the lens from them.

At some point it gets emotional, but the negativity was actually telling the truth. I mean the child welfare is to protect them, but not in this film, any film around the world, they are portrayed like they are the child snatchers. Like a boogeyman. That must change which is in the hands of the organisation to alter their approach to handling such situation. Definitely it is a must see film, despite a few defects. The theme was strong with drugs and sex references, so I think it is not suitable for the kids, despite two kids in the lead. But I think it would work if they were supervised by their parents.

7/10
½ November 6, 2016
'La inevitable derrota de Mister y Pete' (The inevitable defeat of Mister & Pete) RECOMENDABLE! cuenta la historia de dos menores de un barrio pobre en New York. Sus madres prostitutas, sumidas en el mundo de la droga y el tráfico dejarán a los pequeños solos e indefensos al ser arrestados. Ellos se las ingeniarán para escapar de la policía y sobrevivir solos en las calles de la ciudad. Bastante dura, pero con un 'final feliz'. Muy bien lograda. Con Skylan Brook (Mister), Ethan Dizon (Pete), Jennifer Hudson (Gloria), Jordin Sparks (Alice), Jeffrey Wright (Henry), Anthony Mackie (Chris).
½ July 20, 2016
This was a sad movie and too often true.
½ June 22, 2016
With an almost sing-song title, The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete is anything but a cheery film and is actually a harrowing and all-too-real story about two inner city kids living in the Brooklyn projects who are left to fend for themselves for an entire summer after both of their mothers are taken away by the authorities. This film doesn't hold back in showing the ugliness of desperation and poverty as our main character, Mister witnesses daily robberies, strung-out homeless people, and his very own mother prostituting herself to make ends meat; which is uncomfortable and deeply sad to watch. Once his mother is taken away, Mister has to continually hide from the authorities with his fellow companion, Pete, who he protects like his own kin, despite the fact that they are different races. It's a fairly bleak and unapologetic coming-of-age story that hammers our lead characters into the ground at every turn, but their determination to rise above their situation helps the audience root for their plight. There were a couple of things that bothered me: some characters seemed a bit pointless in the grand scheme of things, some of the conflicts felt really forced, and most annoying of all: they never explain why Mister is named that! It's a pretty random name for a young boy, but we're just left to accept that that is what he's called. The film contains wonderful acting from the two young stars, Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon, and also includes two American Idol alums, Jordin Sparks and Jennifer Hudson, the latter portraying Mister's mom and her glammed-down performance really impressed me. This is a solid drama about poverty, maturity, and the human spirit, that I don't feel the need to ever watch again, but I'm glad that I did see it once!
½ June 2, 2016
another tale of life in da ghetto
December 25, 2015
this is a must see movie its good but at some parts you get teary!!!!!!!!â(TM)¥â(TM)¥â(TM)¥â(TM)¥
October 10, 2015
love this movie so sad
September 16, 2015
Compelling and inspirational,Mister and pete captures the true free spirit of childhood.
½ September 14, 2015
CLASSIC | ENDEARING | PHENOMENAL (93-out-of-100)
September 8, 2015
A strong, somber, yet heartwarming, drama with lovable cast, accented by the performance of the two child leads, especially Mister......the role of the policeman and drug leader could have easily been played by not so seasoned actors.
August 16, 2015
intensely emotional. incredibly tragic, yet beautiful, and with hope and sensitivity.
May 18, 2015
A compelling story about two boys struggling to live alone with little food & life necessities
May 10, 2015
good overall,but very sad and unenjoyable.keeps your attention firmly by being heartfelt caring for the boys and their wellbeing.
April 25, 2015
Loved it. You will too.
½ March 26, 2015
Great movie. If The Boondocks ever makes a movie one day, the main actor Skylan Brooks would be a perfect Huey. He did a great job.
January 24, 2015
Really good, nice little drama with an outstanding performance by Skylan Brooks.
½ January 22, 2015
Mister is a boy in his early teens with problems at school and bigger problems at home. He's failed the school year and someone has written something rude about his mum in the boy's toilet which won't rub off. At home his mother Gloria is too strung out to keep enough food in the house and his annoying younger neighbour Pete is playing on his Playstation. Mister and Pete's summer goes from rough to very bloody rough when Gloria is arrested during a raid on their tower block. Their summer holiday now consists of trying to scrape together enough food to survive and avoiding the police who will deliver them to child protection services and the dreaded Riverview boy's home if they catch them.

There are some very good performances to admire, not least from Skylan Brooks as Mister who shows an impressive range on his debut, alternating between angry resentment, vulnerability and desperation. The film works best in the scenes between Mister and Pete, finding glimmers of happiness amongst the grim realities of surviving the poverty and various villains that inhabit their world. At times the grimness of their situation and the range of baddies they have to contend with seem a bit heavy-handed, but the touches of wit and humanity balance it out and stop it from being dragged under by its own weight.

There are a few mis-steps, but on the whole this is a success. Full of nicely observed details and performances - well worth a watch.

Full review at ponderflix on wordpress.
January 13, 2015
Raw, realistic, emotional, and honest! The child actors are great in this film.
January 3, 2015
The Inevitable Defeat indeed...
December 31, 2014
excellent drama about a kid named Mister who has to take care of his young friend Peter when Mister mother is arrested and jailed and decides to not show up until 2 months later. great cast. unbelievable acting.