The Kings of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kings of Summer Reviews

July 28, 2017
Two boys who get fed up with their parents decide to build a house in the woods where they are convinced that they can't be found and they can live a life without parental oversight. A third friend, that is not known very well by either of the boys, provides some comic relief, but otherwise, is not germane to the story. They discover in a short period of time that their fun without responsibility sours when a female is introduced into their serenity. The one who brought her into their private world expected to benefit from their relationship, however, the other guy was the true benefactor. This brings an end to their utopia. The somewhat unknown actors in the primary roles are supported by known TV personalities who support the story with humor that makes this unlikely story fun and worth watching.
July 24, 2017
A fantastic modern telling of a coming of age story that has a razor sharp and hilarious script with fabulous performances all round. The film aesthetically looks gorgeous. The cinematography throughout is truly beautiful to behold and is captured perfectly. The performances are fantastic, the three leads have strange yet believable chemistry with Arias the standout and Offerman showcasing his dramtic range.
July 5, 2017
A feel-good film that reminds you of your childhood. Great music throughout and beautiful videotagraphy.
July 4, 2017
This is by far one of the best coming of age films since Stand By Me. It is directed in a way that really drawls you in, the acting keeps you pinned. It is also very funny and heart warming.
June 26, 2017
I love the movie bc it is funny
June 23, 2017
I liked The Movie
It's Good Start For Summer
May 19, 2017
Kings of summer was an amazing movie with great acting, it would make me laugh at the weirdest times, and was hard to contain all of my emotions.
May 19, 2017
This movie is CBS's attempt at a Indie film. Beauty shots, snarky dialogue but feels more like a made for TV movie.
Nice try though!
½ April 17, 2017
It wasn't quite as fun or inspirational as I thought it would be. But it did make me think about what people need to be happy. My expectation was that they'd escape into the woods and live an idyllic summer, making memories for them to look back on for the rest of their lives, before passing into the humdrum world of adulthood. Instead, life in the woods looked pretty bleak to me. Boring even. They never seemed truly happy. Which made you wonder what would.

It does try to be fun though. It's got a quirky sense of humour which is genuinely refreshing and funny at times. However, it can spill over into outright cartoon moments.

I'm a little disappointed overall but it's okay. Perhaps just a little overrated.
½ March 31, 2017
It was a decent movie, but marred by a rushed and confusing first half.
½ March 9, 2017
Charming, funny, endearing, and incredibly sweet. This isn't earth-shattering by any means, but it's definitely a welcome installment into the coming-of-age genre.
½ February 19, 2017
Sweet. Think it's one of those films that I would appreciate more with a 2nd viewing.
½ December 28, 2016
A great coming of age movie with a lot of stuff to like.
½ December 24, 2016
One of those movies that I knew I would hate but ended up liking kinda like grown ups 2 good ideas I should do a review on that but this movie is really good and has the girl from Jessica jones which is pretty cool didn't know she had movies people say this is worth one watch and what I say to that is that is correct but the first watch makes you smile after a while it'll get boring. Just for extra hype there's one part where it makes you laugh so much hopefully you'll watch
½ December 9, 2016
The kings of Summer has everything to work, however its charismatic protagonists arent enough to superate the predictable narrative and weak script.
½ November 27, 2016
Embarrassing parents, unrequited love, family games of monopoly .Great coming of age no movie iPads, phones, email very refreshing.
½ November 6, 2016
A coming of age indie film, The Kings of Summer is a very impactful, humorous piece centered around three boys who seek personal freedoms during their summer. While it stretches the boundaries on the realistic aspect of their situation, every other area of the film is phenomenal throughout. Between the solid young acting, beautiful setting, and brutal jokes from Nick Offerman, this film will leave you happy and largely satisfied, a very re-watchable piece.
November 6, 2016
Lovely picture! Great for a Saturday afternoon session.
½ October 20, 2016
A charming, lovable film. The Kings of Summer deserves more credit that it gets.
September 28, 2016
a movie too amused by its own quirky and cartoony elements to amount to much.