The Kings of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

June 23, 2017
I liked The Movie
It's Good Start For Summer
May 19, 2017
Kings of summer was an amazing movie with great acting, it would make me laugh at the weirdest times, and was hard to contain all of my emotions.
May 19, 2017
This movie is CBS's attempt at a Indie film. Beauty shots, snarky dialogue but feels more like a made for TV movie.
Nice try though!
½ April 17, 2017
It wasn't quite as fun or inspirational as I thought it would be. But it did make me think about what people need to be happy. My expectation was that they'd escape into the woods and live an idyllic summer, making memories for them to look back on for the rest of their lives, before passing into the humdrum world of adulthood. Instead, life in the woods looked pretty bleak to me. Boring even. They never seemed truly happy. Which made you wonder what would.

It does try to be fun though. It's got a quirky sense of humour which is genuinely refreshing and funny at times. However, it can spill over into outright cartoon moments.

I'm a little disappointed overall but it's okay. Perhaps just a little overrated.
½ March 31, 2017
It was a decent movie, but marred by a rushed and confusing first half.
½ March 9, 2017
Charming, funny, endearing, and incredibly sweet. This isn't earth-shattering by any means, but it's definitely a welcome installment into the coming-of-age genre.
½ February 19, 2017
Sweet. Think it's one of those films that I would appreciate more with a 2nd viewing.
½ December 28, 2016
A great coming of age movie with a lot of stuff to like.
½ December 24, 2016
One of those movies that I knew I would hate but ended up liking kinda like grown ups 2 good ideas I should do a review on that but this movie is really good and has the girl from Jessica jones which is pretty cool didn't know she had movies people say this is worth one watch and what I say to that is that is correct but the first watch makes you smile after a while it'll get boring. Just for extra hype there's one part where it makes you laugh so much hopefully you'll watch
½ December 9, 2016
The kings of Summer has everything to work, however its charismatic protagonists arent enough to superate the predictable narrative and weak script.
½ November 27, 2016
Embarrassing parents, unrequited love, family games of monopoly .Great coming of age no movie iPads, phones, email very refreshing.
½ November 6, 2016
A coming of age indie film, The Kings of Summer is a very impactful, humorous piece centered around three boys who seek personal freedoms during their summer. While it stretches the boundaries on the realistic aspect of their situation, every other area of the film is phenomenal throughout. Between the solid young acting, beautiful setting, and brutal jokes from Nick Offerman, this film will leave you happy and largely satisfied, a very re-watchable piece.
November 6, 2016
Lovely picture! Great for a Saturday afternoon session.
½ October 20, 2016
A charming, lovable film. The Kings of Summer deserves more credit that it gets.
September 28, 2016
a movie too amused by its own quirky and cartoony elements to amount to much.
September 24, 2016
It begins rather slowly and then suddenly it grabs you by the heart and grips it tightly that you momentarily lose where you are at; then you find yourself believing all there is to doubt about.
½ September 17, 2016
The Kings of Summer is a solid coming of age movie but it's not at the level of Boyhood, Stand By Me, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, etc. It's not bad but it does seem "forced" in some scenes. And yes the Biaggio character was eccentric and awkward but his acting seemed forced at times. He just didn't seem genuinely weird. But overall though, it's still a good coming of age movie.
August 21, 2016
Another coming-of-age film that makes you reflect on your own childhood. Kings of Summer will make you laugh but will also make you cringe. The naivety of these boys is charming especially when you mix heat with hormones. A good watch but not one that will stay with you for years afterwards.
July 15, 2016
The coming-of-age tale is a hard one to tell. The story and the general plot points that come with it have simply been told so many times, to the point that the tropes are perhaps all too familiar.

And yet, filmmakers are still finding ways to make the story fresh and engaging, and that certainly rings true with The Kings of Summer. The feature film directing debut of Jordan Vogt-Roberts, the film is infused with an appropriately lush and warm style not only in its visuals, but in its characters as well. This is a (well-meaning) tale of rebellion with characters that probably shouldn't be as likeable as they are, but the young talent behind these characters has a way with making each one memorable. Whether it's the smooth and slick charisma behind Nick Robinson's smile, or the fed-up angst of Gabriel Basso, or even the wacky (and absolutely hilarious) antics of Moíses Arías, these are all characters you can root for, even despite their flaws. Same goes for Nick Offerman as Joe's (Nick Robinson) father, who is initially intimidating in familiar Nick Offerman style, but quickly shows a side of him that is very sympathetic, and very unlike Nick Offerman.

The film does that a lot, in fact. The first half or so of the film is almost straight comedy, with the lighthearted direction and witty writing taking the spotlight, but Vogt-Roberts isn't afraid to take this into more emotional territory. Relationships are strained, characters are emotionally broken, all familiar tropes of the end-of-Act 2-beginning-of-Act 3 point of every coming-of-age story, but these plot points are so effective despite being so familiar. The ending wraps itself up nicely and doesn't take too many risks (although one particular relationship takes a different route that can certainly be appreciated), but by the time the credits roll, you're sure to be impacted in more ways than one.

It's hard to believe that films like these can come from directors with no major past experience. With just one film, Vogt-Roberts has proven that he understands character and relationships, and knows how to focus on them while simultaneously creating a damn good looking film. 2013 was a great year for coming-of-age movies, and The Kings of Summer is certainly one reason why.
½ June 22, 2016