The Kings of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kings of Summer Reviews

½ March 18, 2018
"The Kings of Summer" definitely has its heart in the right place and is ultimately a solid coming of age movie. I think the three leads give good performances and have very good comedic timing, especially Moises Arias. His character is definitely the most fun to watch on screen. The supporting cast also does a good job. I think my main complaint about this movie is how rushed the character development felt. I think the characters had good chemistry but it had the potential to be stronger if they developed their relationships a bit more. Nonetheless, this is definitely a movie that fans of the coming of age genre will enjoy. It is very funny and has a good heart.
February 22, 2018
Strengths: This is a pretty relatable tale. Most people can identify with being fed up with their parents during their teenage years. The fact that these characters did something about it makes them endearing, even if the act is selfish. That's what makes the heart of the film work. You feel for every character. From the kids wanting something better, to the parents missing their children. Because these are not bad parents. Frank Toy (Nick Offerman) is a hard-ass, while Mr. and Mrs. Keenan (Marc Evan Jackson and Megan Mullally) were overbearing, but none were mean-spirited. Nick Robinson (Joe Toy) is a good lead, as his chemistry with Gabriel Basso (Patrick) and Erin Moriarty (Kelly) was great. The Monopoly scene where things blow up with Joe and Patrick is fantastic and emotionally driven. Moises Arias (Biaggio) is a hilarious scene stealer and needs to be praised.

Weaknesses: I found myself heavily disappointed with the use of Alison Brie (Heather Toy). She's one of the reasons I was intrigued by the movie, and she barely got used. She's a talented actress and deserved at least another scene with her brother after he returned. It's kind of hard to pick out why I feel this way, but it was strange that this felt like a made for TV movie, in a negative way. Though the premise is fine, the script is also kind of weak, as the dialogue struggles in points.

Overall: A good little indie film, led by a cool setup and some strong performances. It doesn't amount to much more than that, which keeps it from being in the upper echelon of recent indie flicks.
January 2, 2018
A coming-of-age film where out three main guys "escape" from they're parants. They are fed up with stupid rules and bad jokes so they build a house in the woods and decide to live there. They have a blast! The media is on to them, but they make it without much involvment from anybody else. A few girls visit them, but they are more than welcome. Still, it may be the very end of the trip.

Cool characters, OK acting. A plot that works out and a pretty good film in general. It got it's funny moments, and some less funny moments. It's not hillarious, it's not stupid. It's all right. It's got an indie-vibe and some very pretty scenes at times, even if the photography never is the most important thing here. OK film for pretty much all audiences.

6 out of 10 snake skins.
December 23, 2017
thought it was just ok
½ November 25, 2017
It was certainly less than what I expected, but it was still enjoyable. The direction left a lot to be the desire, but the script was okay and the actors were great.
July 28, 2017
Two boys who get fed up with their parents decide to build a house in the woods where they are convinced that they can't be found and they can live a life without parental oversight. A third friend, that is not known very well by either of the boys, provides some comic relief, but otherwise, is not germane to the story. They discover in a short period of time that their fun without responsibility sours when a female is introduced into their serenity. The one who brought her into their private world expected to benefit from their relationship, however, the other guy was the true benefactor. This brings an end to their utopia. The somewhat unknown actors in the primary roles are supported by known TV personalities who support the story with humor that makes this unlikely story fun and worth watching.
July 24, 2017
A fantastic modern telling of a coming of age story that has a razor sharp and hilarious script with fabulous performances all round. The film aesthetically looks gorgeous. The cinematography throughout is truly beautiful to behold and is captured perfectly. The performances are fantastic, the three leads have strange yet believable chemistry with Arias the standout and Offerman showcasing his dramtic range.
July 5, 2017
A feel-good film that reminds you of your childhood. Great music throughout and beautiful videotagraphy.
July 4, 2017
This is by far one of the best coming of age films since Stand By Me. It is directed in a way that really drawls you in, the acting keeps you pinned. It is also very funny and heart warming.
June 26, 2017
I love the movie bc it is funny
June 23, 2017
I liked The Movie
It's Good Start For Summer
May 19, 2017
Kings of summer was an amazing movie with great acting, it would make me laugh at the weirdest times, and was hard to contain all of my emotions.
May 19, 2017
This movie is CBS's attempt at a Indie film. Beauty shots, snarky dialogue but feels more like a made for TV movie.
Nice try though!
½ April 17, 2017
It wasn't quite as fun or inspirational as I thought it would be. But it did make me think about what people need to be happy. My expectation was that they'd escape into the woods and live an idyllic summer, making memories for them to look back on for the rest of their lives, before passing into the humdrum world of adulthood. Instead, life in the woods looked pretty bleak to me. Boring even. They never seemed truly happy. Which made you wonder what would.

It does try to be fun though. It's got a quirky sense of humour which is genuinely refreshing and funny at times. However, it can spill over into outright cartoon moments.

I'm a little disappointed overall but it's okay. Perhaps just a little overrated.
½ March 31, 2017
It was a decent movie, but marred by a rushed and confusing first half.
½ March 9, 2017
Charming, funny, endearing, and incredibly sweet. This isn't earth-shattering by any means, but it's definitely a welcome installment into the coming-of-age genre.
½ February 19, 2017
Sweet. Think it's one of those films that I would appreciate more with a 2nd viewing.
½ December 28, 2016
A great coming of age movie with a lot of stuff to like.
½ December 24, 2016
One of those movies that I knew I would hate but ended up liking kinda like grown ups 2 good ideas I should do a review on that but this movie is really good and has the girl from Jessica jones which is pretty cool didn't know she had movies people say this is worth one watch and what I say to that is that is correct but the first watch makes you smile after a while it'll get boring. Just for extra hype there's one part where it makes you laugh so much hopefully you'll watch
½ December 9, 2016
The kings of Summer has everything to work, however its charismatic protagonists arent enough to superate the predictable narrative and weak script.