The Kings of Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kings of Summer Reviews

½ May 12, 2013
All I know is I want Chris Galletta to write every movie from now on
October 13, 2013
A cross between "Stand By Me" and "The Wall." One of those movies you won't really remember specifics about, but you'll remember you liked it. I definitely liked it.
½ February 12, 2016
I don't think it's possible for me to love this movie any more than I did. It made me laugh harder than any other coming-of-age indie film I've ever seen, while also standing as a portrait of the escape of youth.
½ February 14, 2014
Endearing, poignant, often too quirky for its own good, but overall a good coming-of-age film with some really strong performances (Nick Offerman is sublime.) It is not a groundbreaking film and its story is a familiar one, but it has the kind of Terrence Malick-y visual quality, and the three leads have great chemistry together. The Kings of Summer is a charming and funny coming of age film that slowly gets under your skin.
April 30, 2016
Awesome movie regarding teenage angst and the desire to be free. Productive rebellion.
½ April 16, 2016
The perfect combination of humor, artistic appeal, and story. It doesn't over do it on any front, but creates a good balance that everyone can enjoy.
½ April 10, 2016
Much better than I was expecting it to be...good stuff.
March 21, 2016
La historia tiene muchos lugares comunes con películas anteriores pero al forografia es por lo que realmente vale la pena esta
½ March 14, 2016
"The Kings of Summer" is one of the most underrated indie movies of 2013, and not only does it supply a wealth of comedy and fun, but manages to make something so simple, so enjoyable.

"The Kings of Summer" is a coming of age story that follows three friends, whom on their own free will, decide to build a house in the middle of the woods to use as an escape from their hectic lives. Through this crazy idea, friendships will be solidified and relationships will be tested, but it's a feel good movie that will make you smile throughout.

A small budget, limited release film released in 2013, "The Kings of Summer" is one of the best coming of age stories of the year. I want to say that the thing I love the most is the simplicity of the movie. It knows exactly what it is, and yet it doesn't over exaggerate it's premise. I really do love the premise of the film, and it executes in an efficient manner, leaving little to be desired by the time the credits rolled. It's a fulfilling movie, as puzzling as its story is, but manages to make you leave the theater smiling.

The actors make the movie feel fun, even if the supporting cast is overly cartoony at times. The main trio here is gold, as Nick Robinson does a good job leading the film. Gabriel Basso and Moises Arias are great supporting actors, and Nick Offerman fills in the parent role very nicely. My favorite one is definitely Moises Arias, who was one of the standouts. Although his character isn't the most original character ever created, he manages to blend the tone of comedy within the movie and provide plenty of comedic moments. Some of the other supporting characters were often made out to be overly cartoonish, which means they were often over exaggerated within their roles and felt a little too fake. I understand that it had to fit in with the tone of the film, but it often made things a bit awkward.

The pacing was also suitable, as the movie manages to keep its run time short. At around an hour and 30 minutes, this film moves along nicely, and doesn't waste to much time on unnecessary plot points and moments. It puts forth an effort to keep the story moving along, even at the expense of clearing up some misconception in certain moments. For the most part, I was fine with that, as it often let you decipher the deeper meaning for yourself.

The movie also did a great job with its camerawork and the directing. They constantly used nature as their background, and never resorted to awkward shots. The movie looked great and the director knew the exact tone of the film. The budget was utilized to the max, and it's often a common attribute in intelligent, small productions.

The movie also had a great amount of comedy that had me chuckling. None of the comedy relied on toilet humor, and even when the jokes seemingly got out of hand, they addressed the situation and made sure they knew what kind of jokes they were writing. They were able to maintain the situation, and were able to make you laugh along with them. There were plenty of moments I will remember in this movie, and I can say I had some solid laughs throughout.

In the end, "The Kings of Summer" will have you smiling and laughing, while providing some thoughtful writing and a great direction. I actually loved watching this movie, and it's probably one of the most underrated indie films of 2013. I highly recommend this to anyone, especially those who just need to smile a little bit, or a lot.
June 8, 2014
Even though the story is a bit naive and far-fetched, the movie offers some nice moments, like the performances and smile-provoking scenes.
February 23, 2016
The movie was a complete flunk from start to finish with the few exceptions of funny script.
½ February 22, 2016
Lame doesn't even begin to describe how boring this movie was. And to be certified fresh by Rotten Tomatoes is baffling. I've watched movies a milestone better than Kings Of Summer that barely made it to a Tomato. There's hardly anything funny about it except how stupid a couple of lines from the script were. What a shame this movie was ever made.
January 11, 2016
Such a feel-good movie. Wish I was a teenager just now.
½ January 6, 2016
It's a movie that 12 years ago if I saw it, I would've wanted to live it. Great story, funny, touching between the father and son going through a tough loss. They leave the drama to be obviously explained and take the comedy to a hilarious with no to little foul language. And I love cuss words. Fuck. Shit. Anyways, I'be been in a debate about what's better between this and The way way back, I'll keep my personal opinion to myself but Nick Swardson delivers, of course. Biaggio, is by far the best character and randomly hysterical. Patrick's parents are funny as well. For only really shooting in one location, it opens up beautifully, and almost makes you wish you had a place you could escape to, with a hittin soundtrack, this movie will always make me feel like a King of summer.
April 24, 2014
Kings Of The Summer may carry an indie vibe, but from the quality of the film is what you would expect out of something higher budget. All three protagonists, especially Arias as the wacky Biaggio are very good, and its what makes this movie. The story is fairly standard coming-of-age; two teens find themselves sick of their lives at home under the annoyances of parenthood, and run into the woods to live off the land. Throw in an unwanted outcast stowaway in the diminutive Biaggio and you have a squad.

The film is excellently paced; and the quiet "indie" moments are done very well. You get the sense that something is happening even while everyone is silent, looking at each other, with no music in the background. Better yet, YOU KNOW what is happening, what each kid is thinking.

Kings Of Summer isn't sappy at all, nor is it depressing or go-lucky. Its a very honest, plausible movie that doesn't aim higher than it can reach, and that makes it a minority in the genre. Finally, we have an indie-teen drama that doesn't reach for an audience by employing the same pretentious cliches that its peers did.
November 10, 2015
Not worth the time to view.
November 5, 2015
one of my favourites
½ October 22, 2015
Smart, funny, dramatic this film basically has every genre of film in one! Throughout this movie, my emotions were all over the place, I felt like crying on a particular scene and on another scene I laughed harder than I ever have before, this entire movie changed the way I see the world and everyone it, it taught me friendship is everything and so is confidence. So I highly recommend this film to everyone who has trouble being brave and who isn't confident because after you see this movie, it's going to instantly change you.
½ August 29, 2013
A delightfully quirky coming of age tale featuring many notably funny actors in small supporting roles.
September 18, 2015
Coming of age drama with the usual amount of teenage angst aimed at the older generation. How they go about revolting and protesting is a little different.