The Layover - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Layover Reviews

½ September 20, 2017
There is a reason that critics found this movie absurd; it's because it was. In all fairness, it's more difficult to get a laugh out of me than most, and I generally do not find "comedies" very funny at all, but this movie was not only painfully predictable, but also terrible. I don't even know where to begin! And me, like an idiot, suffered through the thing, hoping against hopes that Something would r deem it for me; I was wrong. Suffice it to say that I would not recommend it,.. unless, of course, you want to numb your brain and take a 1.5 hour long, sense-less trip down the road of "this sucks worse than my life"...
½ September 16, 2017
Is it possible to give a review for a film without giving it any stars?

What a ridiculously annoying, enraging, and unpleasant film. It depicts women in the cheapest way possible, and makes the audience question (in the most negative way possible) the value of both "friendship" and "love". The "humour" in this film is just plain offensive and completely off-putting.

The movie left me feeling considerately dumber. It has taught me that sometimes it is necessary to overcome my stubbornness that I should finish the movie that I start. Sometimes, it is better to just flee.
½ September 12, 2017
Yet another comedy where two women destroy their passive aggressive friendship for a guy the don't know.
½ September 12, 2017
Women always complain about how they are portrayed in film and this one does not paint a pretty picture of two beautiful, but idiotic women.
½ September 10, 2017
That movie made me sad that anyone could believe women could act like this or have friendships like this. Kate Uptom is an awful actress and I'm mad I saw this.
½ September 7, 2017
Very mediocre. Only watch if desperate.
September 6, 2017
Funny at some parts, but maybe it's only worth watching once and not more than once. Watched it because Alexandria Daddario was in it and I streamed a 1080p online for free instead of the theaters so ya... I quite enjoyed it myself.
September 6, 2017
Fairly funny from time to time, but I would not pay full price for this film.
Cringeworthy flirtations.
September 4, 2017
Funny and hilarious with a story, it's good movie to watch
September 4, 2017
I actually enjoyed this. Yes the plot was predictable, but who cares. It was fun to watch and I laughed out loud at a couple of scenes. I also just got done watching Ghost in a Shell, that was garbage and terrible. This was way better that that.
I recommend this. It's fun at the core
September 4, 2017
Thought it was hi Larry us
½ September 4, 2017
As a lowpoint in William H. Macy's film career, The Layover suffers from horrible acting and an incompetent narrative, despite some mediocre laughs that are few and far between from the film's lead female cast.
½ September 4, 2017
Lazy....impossible to relate to the characters or approve of their anctics
½ September 3, 2017
A horrific experience.
September 2, 2017
All comedy is subjective, everyone knows that, but when it comes to comedy that's just plain lazy, I believe everyone has the right to complain, even if some viewers find it funny. If anyone comes out of The Layover in a good mood, I feel as though they may have found a certain guilty pleasure from the jokes throughout this film, because I quite honestly have very little to compliment this movie on. Not only is this one of the laziest comedies I've seen in a while, but it's just one of the worst films of 2017, period. Staring the screen in awe of what the filmmakers thought would work as comedy, baffled me to no end. If you are unaware of who was at the helm as director, then please keep reading, because it shocked me as well. Here is why I believe you should stay far away from this movie.

Sure, a premise following two women fighting over the same man could be funny, even though it's been done to death, because everything has been done before when it comes to film. You have to be original with your humour and have a few turns that the audience doesn't expect in order to make a film like this work, but you've literally seen everything this film delivers done before, and much better if I may add. Two recently unemployed best friends embark on a vacation where they have to make an emergency landing and end up spending their layover time with a good-looking man. From here, the film becomes a lazy attempt at comedy, landing about 10% of its landing, and that's being generous.

Yes, William H. Macy (the very talented actor) directed this film, and I have no idea why. I'm sure he had his reasons and thought it was a good script or just simply wanted more directing experience, but this was not a good film for him to put his name on. Sure, the film is put together fine and the shots/editing is all competent, but I just found the film to be lacking in one of the most important things, it's screenplay. Once again, I'm not sure why Macy chose this film to work on, but this is one of the worst scripts of the year.

Putting together a movie like this (without the mention of the type completely typecast leading actresses) should be a piece of cake in terms of chemistry, because if you have an entire movie based around a friendship being torn apart by a man, you need to set-up a reason for viewers to care about them ever getting back together, but I honestly didn't. They seemed to not care about each other whenever they were separated, so I quite honesty found more things to dislike about these characters than anything else. For this reason alone, the movie didn't work right off the bat, and it only got worse from there.

In the end, The Layover is a movie that should've been released straight to DVD or shouldn't have even been green-lit, because I honestly can't see many people enjoying this film or finding much of it funny. Admittedly, I found myself chuckling once or twice and although the film is pure garbage, the conclusion was satisfying enough. From is average filmmaking, to the poor screenplay, to the typecast actresses, to the plot that's as unfunny and predictable as some of the worst comedies in recent memory, I found nothing to compliment here, which is why my grade is so incredibly low. If you're looking for a good comedy, you're better off looking elsewhere, and I usually don't like being very harsh on films. Being a large fan of Alexandra Daddario and William H. Macy, I find myself a little disappointed, even though I was expecting much.
Enjoyable. Mildly comedic.
September 2, 2017
Geestelijk gemeen mag The Layover tegenover vrouwen wel genoemd worden, waarin de vrouwen in kwestie zich blijkbaar niet kunnen benutten om een normale baan te behouden en zich alleen maar regelrecht op een man willen gooien. Zeker niet grappig, en een dieptepunt voor regisseur William H. Macy op alle fronten.
September 1, 2017
Every scene Kate Upton's boobs seems to be bouncing. I'm just a simple man.
½ September 1, 2017
Nowhere near as bad as most are making it out to be. It's a simple comedy with some good laughs, and both Alexandra Daddario and Kate Upton were hilarious. It does feel like it's a bit all over the place at times though.