The Lion King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lion King Reviews

June 8, 2018
A gorgeous masterpiece! Very gorgeous!
June 7, 2018
A masterpiece by Disney and still remembered by kids today as the best animation movie ever. Everyone has seen or at least heard about The Lion King and Simba's journey.
June 3, 2018
Stupendous and one of Disney's best works!! Love this film like Disney itself!
May 30, 2018
Definitely my favorite movie of all time! I LOVE this movie. The music, the characters, the nostalgia, it has everything I want out of a movie. If you're a fan of DISNEY, watch this RIGHT NOW!!
May 9, 2018
It's was horrible! Death should not be portrayed in a young child's movie! High school musical was a much better choice for my kids!
½ May 8, 2018
It was strange, and a lot different than what I expected.
May 3, 2018
Cheesy story having me believe Mufasa is not a dictator who eats his subjects, defying his brother's lament, poetically being killed by his own dinner. Very one-sided fascism is revelled here. Son heeds Scar's efforts to eat subjects after full-life-span, hopefully.
April 20, 2018
Film Review of The King Lion by Kermelie Moutembe (2de6)

This film was directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff and realized in 1994 by Walt Disney Pictures. It was produced by Walt Disney Features Animation. It is an animated cartoon and was inspired on the story "Jungle Taieti" by Osama Tezuka. The main character is Simba, a lion born in Pride Rock.
The film is about Simba, a lion who was born in Pride Rock and he is Mufasa's son, the King who rules in the Pride Lands. But because of Scar's manipulation (Simba's uncle), Mufasa die and Simba have to flee into exile. He starts living with Timon and Pumbaa in "Hakuna Matata". When he becomes mature and thanks to Rafiki and Nala (his childhood friends) he returns to fight against Scar and take again his place in the Circle of Life as the King.
The plot is laughable and amusing to watch thanks to Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki and other. But this plot is completely predictable. When Simba is exiled, we knew that he will have a comeback because it is his destiny. Same for the final fight: we knew who won but this scene is profoundly epic thanks to the music, the quality image and the determination of Simba. This movie is also amazingly absorbing thanks to Mufasa for example when he die or when, as a ghost, he convincing Simba to return in the Circle of Life. It is highly impressive and touching. I will always remember this sentence "Remember who you are". This encourages everybody to not forget its family.
Photography is utterly breathtaking thanks to a lot of reasons. There are Mufasa in the sky, the same way that he comes into existence to talk to Simba, there Simba, Nala, Timon, Pumbaa and Rafiki who look him. The way that Simba is looking is father is profoundly impressive because we can see in his eyes love and determination. The only downside is maybe that I would liked to see Scar who would bring face to face with Simba.
This movie is produced by Walt Disney Features Animation so of course there are a lot of songs about character's feeling and situation. These songs are highly laughable, inventive, lively rhythm and easy to remember. The plot enables to the special effects to make them staggering for example during Simba and Scar's fighting.
This movie is an animation so of course we can't evaluate the acting performance but even if the characters are lions we can anyway see their feeling.
Again, the movie is animated around lion so it is not very realistic. But as I have already said, some characters such as Timon, Pumbaa or Rafiki make the script hilarious. The plot in general in not confusing we understand who is who and the role of anyone. It is also complete even if that the end we understand that it will be a next part.
Finally this movie has a great message: don't forget our origins, our roots. This film talks about that with humor, love and drama. We go really down in the plot, we are heavily absorbing. So I recommend this film to everybody, young and old. You will be not disappointed because the message cleared is beautiful.
½ April 13, 2018
yes, cliche is crammed into each and every scene and dialogue, and it has hardly an original moment, but it is nice to see a by-the-book 'hero' journey rather than a scrappy animated film not worth watching. hans zimmer's score and elton john's and tim rice's songs are commendable, too.
April 1, 2018
This will always be my favourite Disney movie with a great African savannah setup snd great characters, a terrifying villain with the only problem being the love story with Simba and his childhood friend.
March 31, 2018
Brilliant film it's a masterpiece :)
March 31, 2018
Overall, the film that was never meant to even be good, ended up being my favourite film in the world, and a lot of other peoples favourite film as well! Because of this, I am rating the film a 9.5/10.
March 30, 2018
A gorgeous masterpiece!
½ March 30, 2018
Great from start to finish, just a bit gory
March 30, 2018
With the the help of the Bible and Shakespeare influences, although the act of balancing drama with comedy could have been done better in the second half, the majority of the epic narrative is helped by the massive scope animation wise and Hans Zimmer's haunting score.

Along with Andy Gaskill and Chris Sanders's beautiful art direction and production design, the slightly flawed yet powerful message about redemption and the pitch perfect voice acting, makes this African tale, one of the biggest highlights of not only Walt Disney Animation Studios, but of 90's pop culture as well.
michael e.
½ March 29, 2018
(3D review) When hearing they were remaking one of my favorite Disney animated films in 3-D for its 20th anniversary, you can bet I got hyped, and boy did this film not disappoint. I saw this on opening day, now prior to hearing about this I hadn't seen the film in about 3 years so I didn't want it to be ruined if I watched it the week/night/month before seeing the film, and that was a wise decision on my part, because the refreshing of my memory with this film worked and it was almost like a new experience to me. Also the 3-D in this film is incredible, I'm rarely blown away by 3-D but here, my god, the 3-D matched the animation so perfectly, that this film and 3-D were made for each other.
March 26, 2018
I LOVE THIS FILMS BEST DISNEY EVER
March 18, 2018
The Lion King is one of the best Disney films I had ever seen in my whole life. With its extraordinarily story delivering a message and morals about life lessons, spot-on voice-acting, beautiful animation, loveable and memorable characters and unforgettable music by Hans Zimmer, Elton John and Tim Rice. This is a must-watch for everyone else including Disney fans alike both old and new.
March 13, 2018
A+. What has to be said here? A perfect, timeless movie full of wit, charm, and so much beautiful nostalgia.