The Lion King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lion King Reviews

September 23, 2017
Timeless animated masterpiece. From the voice acting, music to the astounding atmosphere. Lion king roars one of its biggest jewels in the disney crown.
September 18, 2017
Best Disney film ever. Theyll never top or equal this one. Made even more grand by Hans Zimmer amazing score
September 15, 2017
Ah, The Lion King, the highest-grossing 2D animated film of all time. I love this movie, and while I don't think it's quite the masterpiece everyone says it is, there are still plenty of things to like about it. The animation is beautiful, as to be expected by Disney. I love the setting. The story is good, the characters are likeable, the voice acting, especially from James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons, is great, and the songs, for the most part, are nice as well. I was one of those people who cried at Mufasa's death. But what really makes this movie good is the sheer size of it. It's just a big movie, and it does come from the story. But I do have a few gripes with this movie. One is that the message of the movie is a little botched. When Simba goes back to face his fear, his fears start to win, and none of the lionesses stand up for him until it's revealed that he didn't kill Mufasa. So the message is botched. Also, Scar goes through a complete 180. He starts off as sinister and conniving, but after he becomes king, he turns into a little child. Also, I think Matthew Broderick as adult Simba is a little bland. The two songs that stand out the most to me are Circle of Life and Be Prepared. I know some people hate I Just Can't Wait to Be King, but I enjoy that one personally. As for Can You Feel the Love Tonight and Hakuna Matata, I think there tolerable, but also the weakest of the soundtrack. Hakuna Matata is one I both hate and love at the same time. It's very annoying but I can't help but sing along to it. I like the African choir in Can You Feel the Love Tonight, as well as Timon and Pumbaa's parts, but it's not really necessary since the romance between Simba and Nala wasn't the main focus. But despite these problems, I still think The Lion King is a good, strong film. It has great animation, good characters, and good story with good drama and good humor. Those hyenas crack me the freak up. And like I said, it's just a huge movie. It's not perfect, but I still love it and I always have a great time watching it.
September 15, 2017
Poignant and excellent Writing, Amazing hand drawn animation and unforgettable characters and Songs. The Lion King is one of if not the Best animated movie Ever!
September 8, 2017
The pinnacle of the Disney Renaissance, and one of my favorite films of all time.

Now, where to begin?

The animation is wonderful, you could tell the animators really studied the animals and locations of Africa to emulate their mannerisms into the characters and world of Pride Rock. The overall art style is classic Disney and near accurate to what lions and other wild animals would look like.

As beautiful as the animation is, it's the characters and emotional core where the movie shines the most. Simba starts off as a rebellious cub who ends up feeling guilt over the death of his father Mufasa, which leads him to exile, but ends up overcoming it as he returns to his home, and accepts his position as king.

The film plays like a Disney version of Hamlet, which might sound weird at first, but it ultimately works perfectly.

The rest of the characters are great too, ranging from the villain Scar to the comic relief duo of Timon and Pumbaa.

Of course, The Lion King is a Disney film from the 90s, meaning that there are musical numbers galore, and all of them are fun and memorable, with songs such as "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" and "Hakuna Matata". The music also plays a huge part of the film, "Circle of Life" serves as the main theme, and you have a good number of songs by Elton John, including "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". These tracks as well as Hans Zimmer's score really captures the magical and emotional feel of the movie.

What more can I say? A classic from my childhood that has aged like a fine wine.
September 4, 2017
Disney's greatest animated Film. A straight up Masterpiece. I saw this as a kid back in the 90s over and over again and after buying the Blu-ray it still holds Up. I can't stand musicals but holy crap this soundtrack is absolutely Perfect. I put on the subtitles and could finally learn the Lyrics to the songs I've loved for so long. If you haven't checked this movie out recently or ever before, you'll do yourself a huge favor. 5/5
September 4, 2017
Lion king is a good movie
September 3, 2017
This movie is absolutely perfect. It has outstanding visuals, an amazing plot that messes with your heart and is even good to teach the meaning of death to kids. The voice acting is amazing and they really make you love the characters and help bring them to life. Then the music helps every moment in the movies and help to play with your heart. This is the best of any Disney movie and it shouldn't ever be forgotten.
September 2, 2017
Rewatching this animated masterpiece once again right after watching that crappy Alien: Covenant was a very smart idea!

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
September 1, 2017
The Lion King is believe it or not perfect. Where to start with this, MASTERPIECE. However it had a crappy sequel and an over the top midquel. But the first one is a freaking badass musical. Loved by fans and critics alike, The Lion King is Disney at it's best, and there's no question why. That's it for today's review on the Lion King.
August 30, 2017
excellent movie for today and tomorrow, and for generations to come....
August 29, 2017
This is one classic I would ever love and always love. The lion king is one of my favourite animated film of all time with lots of laughs, chills, drama and really good songs to sing to and I love that. It's really the best film of all time and I like every bit of it. Well done Walt Disney for bring back a instant animated classic back for the year 2017. Well done I LOVE this film so much.
August 26, 2017
Awesome movie, neatly animated. Never felt that this was created by main team of Disney.
½ August 24, 2017
A great 2-d animated film as a young lion cub comes back to the pride to rule as King of the Jungle.
August 23, 2017
Lion king truly is the king of Disney movies.
August 18, 2017
1940's Fantasia Is My Tenth Favorite Film Of All Time And 1940's Pinocchio Is One Of My Favorite Films Of All Time As Well.
½ August 12, 2017
One of the greatest movies of all time
August 11, 2017
The Lion King is definitely one of my favorite Disney movies. I love the story and the message this movie has to offer. Wish I could rate it more than 5 stars!
August 11, 2017
It had been so long since I watched this movie and I'm glad, because it reminded me of how truly amazing this film is. From the breathtaking animation that holds up still to this day, to Hans Zimmers Oscar winning score this is with out a doubt one of Disney animations crowning achievements.