The Lion King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lion King Reviews

½ April 22, 2017
Powerful and stirring
April 19, 2017
Being one of the most iconic Disney movies of all time, The Lion King already has quite a name for itself. It is truly a 'coming of age# film t be enjoyed by all ages. The music is catchy and widely popular, the characters have an astounding range from comedy, to drama and villainy. Some movies are only as good as their villains, and as Scar poses a very real threat to all other characters, whist still retaining a sense of humour and irony, this film is worth 5 stars.
April 14, 2017
this movie is amazing
April 10, 2017
the greatest Disney film of all time
½ April 4, 2017
This is one of the most popular and important Disney animated movies of all time. It's dark, emotionally stirring, and hard to watch at times. It has a great story about revenge and although the plot isn't entirely original, the movie handles it so well that it didn't bother me. The intro is very memorable and it will forever be remembered as one of the best movie intros of all time. I'm not going to spoil anything but a particular characters death is handled so well that it made most people cry bitter tears regardless of their age. It's probably the most saddest scene for any animated film. Like most Disney animated films, it offered adult themes which makes it good and enjoyable for grown ups as well. With some Disney films my nostalgia wears off but with this film, it gets better every time I watch it. Its final act has more action then you'd expect to find in a Disney film. I did rather enjoy the ending scene. Also, it has one of if not the best movie soundtrack of all time too. It perfectly fit the mood and setting of the movie and it's pretty catchy. It's a must see for all animated movie fans,
March 26, 2017
Ah, The Lion King, the highest-grossing 2D animated film of all time. I love this movie, and while I don't think it's quite the masterpiece everyone says it is, there are still plenty of things to like about it. The animation, of course is beautiful. I love the African setting. The story is good, the characters are likeable, the voice acting, especially from James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons, is great, and the songs, for the most part, are nice as well. I was one of those people who cried at Mufasa's death. But what really makes this movie good is the sheer size of it. It's just a big movie, and it does come from the story. But I do have a few gripes with this movie. One is that the message of the movie is a little botched. When Simba goes back to face his fear, his fears start to win, and none of the lionesses stand up for him until it's revealed that he didn't kill Mufasa. So the message is botched. Also, Scar goes through a complete 180. He starts off as sinister and conniving, but after he becomes king, he turns into a little child. Also, I think Matthew Broderick as adult Simba is a little bland. The two songs that stand out the most to me are Circle of Life and Be Prepared. I know some people hate I Just Can't Wait to Be King, but I enjoy that one personally. As for Can You Feel the Love Tonight and Hakuna Matata, I think there tolerable, but also the weakest of the soundtrack. Hakuna Matata is one I both hate and love at the same time. It's very annoying but I can't help but sing along to it. I like the African choir in Can You Feel the Love Tonight, as well as Timon and Pumbaa's parts, but it's not really necessary since the romance between Simba and Nala wasn't the main focus. But despite these problems, I still think The Lion King is a good, strong film. It has great animation, good characters, and good story with good drama and good humor. Those hyenas crack me the freak up. And like I said, it's just a huge movie. It's not in my top ten favorite Disney movies, but it's very close, ranking number twelve. It's not perfect, but I still love it and I always have a great time watching it.
March 22, 2017
My favorite movie ever
March 20, 2017
The most mature of the Disney films? Well it kills off the young Simba's father halfway through, & that's very intense for a kid-friendly film.
½ March 14, 2017
I love the lion king it's great
March 4, 2017
A great classic animated movie
½ March 2, 2017
I will be... a part of your worl- Oops, wrong Disney movie.
February 28, 2017
This is probably the one movie I most enjoyed waiting on growing up into a guy who could come of age and enjoy it far more than I ever could as a 5-year old. I thank EVERYONE for making this movie.
February 23, 2017
Best movie of all time! The story was amazing and hands down my favorite movie! I could watch this movie multiple times and not get bored.
February 20, 2017
My all-time favorite childhood movie and in my opinion the greatest Disney movie of all time!!!
February 14, 2017
Every time that animated, red-orange sun crests over the horizon, with the music packing an emotional wallop as giant as the fun to come, I'm completely overwhelmed. A Shakespearean drama in the truest sense, its effective both tragically (Mufasa's demise, confrontation with Scar) and comically (Hyenas, Timon & Pumba). Not to mention Scar is among the most awesomely evil Disney villains; envy, greed, treason, murder, & Irons freaking kills it.
½ February 10, 2017
Well, it is just Shakespeare's Hamlet with Lions. I just can't give it a lower grade than this.
½ January 31, 2017
Overrated. The symbolism between the characters is blended in an unrealistic setting. The longevity of the character development falls apart after the 2nd scene. If you want great story telling you have to be honest. It feels cheap. Cheap and deserted like the land Simba is trying to get back.
January 29, 2017
Embrace your childhood
January 25, 2017
Didn't think I'd seen this before but when I started watching I realised I had. Not top of my list for Disney films, too much singing for my liking.
January 20, 2017
From start to finish this film doesn't stop to amaze, The animation is beautiful and the musical score is incredible. All the characters are portrayed perfectly and the plot is simple and effective. The film touches on every human emotion and really is a masterpiece.