The Lion King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lion King Reviews

January 18, 2017
An absolutely beautiful film through which Disney offers us one of the most valuable and powerful works that will never be forgotten. It is an incomparable legacy that anyone of any age, context and even age continues to amaze with its supreme music, beautiful images and deep messages that over time can be revived and understood with different meanings. I could not divert my attention and great astonishment as I enjoy it once more after so much time.
½ January 14, 2017
Well, it is just Shakespeare's Hamlet with Lions. I just can't give it a lower grade than this.
January 14, 2017
1/13/2017: A classic movie, but not as great as I remembered it. Animation has come a long way since this film was released. Too much singing for me. The hyenas were the funniest components of the film.
January 7, 2017
5 stars from past views
January 3, 2017
Masterpiece. One of only 4 films I've ever rated 5 stars. I love this film so much, by far my favourite Disney film.
December 30, 2016
Out standing movie!! It's the best Disney movie I watched when I was a kid and I still watch it!! It has great music my favorite song was called be Prepared, Can you feel the love. there where funny parts in the movie!! Like with scar being so sarcastic! He made me laugh a lot.
December 27, 2016
"Muffsia" say it again
December 27, 2016
A classic obviously. Surprised Elton didn't sing the songs. "Who are you calling a pig?" funny line.
December 23, 2016
Again, if I were to do a full-blown review of this one, I would be repeating virtually everything I said in my reviews of both Beauty and the Beast and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. With that said, this is undoubtedly one of Disney's greatest and most epic products and is as highly acclaimed as it is for a really good reason.
½ December 15, 2016
My favorite Disney film. Iconic places and characters packed with intense moments make this movie a great watch for anyone regardless of age. And of course the music is great as ever.
December 10, 2016
This movie is just flawless,the songs,the animation,the charecters,everything in this movie is just a masterpiece!best animated movie ever,and if not my favorite movie of all time,than definitely in my top three.
December 9, 2016
Watching this movie again and again since my childhood and never get bored
½ December 9, 2016
The Lion King is a great Disney classic.
Good music mixed with the humor.The scenery is very animated and the story line goes like clockwork.
The Lion King couple gets to feel the joy, laughter and sadness.
December 8, 2016
Um clássico. Emocionante e muito bem realizado. Inesquecível
December 7, 2016
A great animated classic and universal message!
November 30, 2016
Stunning visuals and animation, good and catchy music, great story. Overall, one of my favourites!
November 30, 2016
Ah, The Lion King, the highest-grossing 2D animated film of all time. I love this movie, and though I do think it's a bit overrated, there are still plenty of things to like about it. The animation, of course is beautiful. I love the African setting. The story is good, the characters are likeable, the voice acting, especially from James Earl Jones and Jeremy Irons, is great, and the songs, for the most part, are nice as well. I was one of those people who cried at Mufasa's death. But what really makes this movie good is the sheer size of it. It's just a big movie, and it does come from the story. But I do have a few gripes with this movie. One is that the message of the movie is a little botched. When Simba goes back to face his fear, his fears start to win, and none of the lionesses stand up for him until it's revealed that he didn't kill Mufasa. So the message is botched. Also, Scar goes through a complete 180. He starts off as sinister and conniving, but after he becomes king, he turns into a little child. Also, I think Matthew Broderick as adult Simba is a little bland. The two songs that stand out the most to me are Circle of Life and Be Prepared. I know some people hate I Just Can't Wait to Be King, but I enjoy that one personally. As for Can You Feel the Love Tonight and Hakuna Matata, I think there tolerable, but also the weakest of the soundtrack. Hakuna Matata is one I both hate and love at the same time. It's very annoying but I can't help but sing along to it. I like the African choir in Can You Feel the Love Tonight, as well as Timon and Pumbaa's parts, but it's not really necessary since the romance between Simba and Nala wasn't the main focus. But despite these problems, I still think The Lion King is a good, strong film. It has great animation, good characters, and good story with good drama and good humor. Those hyenas crack me the freak up. And like I said, it's just a huge movie. It's not in my top ten favorite Disney movies, but it's close, ranking number twelve. It's not perfect and I do think it's a little overrated, but I still love it and I always have a great time watching it.
½ November 14, 2016
Moofassa ooh! Say it again. Good story, great voices, darth Vader does a great voice in this one.
November 14, 2016
Unpopular opinion I know. But at the end of the day it's a pseudo coming of age story with a Bambi-like plot. Not a disaster, but far from the "greatest animated film of all time" or whoever said that.
November 13, 2016
This childrens animated adaptation of the Shakesperean play Hamlet is ideal for family watching. While it has a plot that has enough depth for the adult viewer, it also has the animation and fun songs to keep the younger watchers interested. When stacked up against other movies in the same category such as, Tarzan and Beauty and the Beast, it rises above, as i t seamlessly adapts this literary classic to the movie screen. Where those fall short, this animated masterpiece rises above the rest, having better adaptations to classic literature. While, Tarzan is not close to the source material in terms of story at all, the Lion King stays true to the source material, except for killing every character off at the end. While the story of Hamlet is an emotionally scarring one, this Disney adaptation is something that your entire family will cherish together until the day that they die.

The characters in this movie are also ideal for any family that appeal to many demographics, some include, wacky Zazu, paternal Mufasa, wise Rafiki and the classic characters of Timon and Pumbaa. This cast of characters is so diverse that it is widely acclaimed as one of the most groundbreaking casts ever, with a white son of two black actors and a same sex couple struggling to raise an adopted child. All of these story lines allow for this cast to mold into one like none that you have ever seen on any screen.

This movie is a very fast moving film, at some points it gives you the feel of a childrens adventure film, others it gives off the scent of your favorite romantic comedy but it also gives the testosterone filled action that every dad will enjoy as he watches this classic with his children. The universality of this movie is one of its strong suits, it has something for everyone in your family. You will never have to argue over which movie to watch again.

One of the most important lessons that your children can take from this movie is that you can never run from your responsibilities. Whenever they ask you, "mom can I skip my homework tonight?" You can simply respond, "Well honey, do you remember what happened to the Pridelands when Simba ran away? Do you want Daddy to die and your Uncle to move in and burn our house down?" You will never have to worry about your kids whining about doing chores again!!!

While this is an American treasure whos legacy will last forever, there is no denying that there are some drawbacks. One of which is that it promotes classism. Although your kids may not be aware of the political agendas present in this film, they do have a lasting impression on your kids. The classism is obvious from the very first scene of the movie when all of the species made the long trip to Pride rock in order to bow down to their supreme overlords who may eat them at any time. While it is a cool image in the movie, it can give your child an inflated sense of importance, for example, after watching this movie with their child, my neighbor had a lot of trouble controlling his son after he was sent home from school for running around and claiming that he, "ruled everything that the sun touches" while he was stealing others pencils and toys.

Another drawback that this movie has, in the past been seen to be emotionally scarring to some children. Even though this is a G rated movie, there is not a single person that has seen this movie who doesn't remember the overwhelming sadness that overcame them the first time they saw the tragic scene in the crevice. Just be aware of this scene when watching with small children, if they seem to act out afterwards, I would recommend seeking counciling, but I would say this is a cultural experience that you should not deprive your children of.

In conclusion, if you consider yourself a good parent, and your kids haven't watched this movie, please contact this number 800-252-2873 and tell them about it, they will be more than happy to help you out.